Pen Focus Vaporizer

Elac

Silly rabbit trips are for kids
SD2cW0b.jpg
Hey everyone,
Finally received all my parts from China and found the time to finish assembling my FrankenVape vape station for my Focus vaporizers.
Here are some pics:
SD2cW0b.jpg

It's alive!!!
YNxLcw3.jpg

NjgySVg.jpg

This glow is really UV not blue, and glows radioactive green when off.
K14FXBa.jpg

A closer look at the front.
YVA5TiD.jpg

And the back...
rCJ4PN8.jpg

The insides before final assembly.

And some specs:
Runs from any 12V 10A or greater battery, or power supply. Or from the 3x 3000mah internal 18650 batteries.
Voltmeter showing voltage going to the vaporizer, and internal battery voltage if using them.
If using 12V supply there is the option of charging the internal batteries, 1x external 18650 in the battery holder on the back of the unit and a dual usb jack on the side for charging a Focus and phone or other usb devices up to 2A.
From either the internal batteries or external 12V supply there is use of a Bluetooth amp and UV lights with an RF controller and 8 special effects.

Happy holidays everyone!!!

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I'm a bit confused....what is the purpose of all this?

Is it to use your Focus vape as a desktop with a easier water filtration option?

Although it looks like a good work!

kbrown5523

Hopping in Washington
Can you use the the batteries from the analog version in the digital pro version?

I'm sorry, I'm sure this was probably asked and answered already, but I couldn't find it.

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Can you use the the batteries from the analog version in the digital pro version?

I'm sorry, I'm sure this was probably asked and answered already, but I couldn't find it.
Yes, I've swapped them back and forth. The only difference is in their capacity. IFRC, the Pro comes with the higher capacity version, but the lower capacity version will work just fine in the Pro. You will just have to charge it more often than you would the higher capacity version.

Hope this makes sense. Hell, I hope it's in English. I really should not be trying to type right now.:whoa:

kbrown5523

Hopping in Washington
I upgraded from an analog to a digital Focus Pro. I got a couple of pods because I wanted to keep this one clean. I just can't begin to get the same clouds using the pods. The AVB is definitely not as dark either.

I've got a nice setup now though with a decent bubbler, four batteries and a Nitecore i4 charger. I'm just not a session user. Finally broke down and ordered a GH. Hoping it will finally fulfill all my old bong smoker dreams.

I have to say, smoking was a hell of a lot simpler. I've spent more money on vapes and accessories and batteries in the last year. When I smoked I had one bong I used for years and years and all I bought was fresh lighters. ;)

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I upgraded from an analog to a digital Focus Pro. I got a couple of pods because I wanted to keep this one clean. I just can't begin to get the same clouds using the pods. The AVB is definitely not as dark either.

I've got a nice setup now though with a decent bubbler, four batteries and a Nitecore i4 charger. I'm just not a session user. Finally broke down and ordered a GH. Hoping it will finally fulfill all my old bong smoker dreams.

I have to say, smoking was a hell of a lot simpler. I've spent more money on vapes and accessories and batteries in the last year. When I smoked I had one bong I used for years and years and all I bought was fresh lighters. ;)

I think you'll find the pods require more of a heat soak than without the pods but even with the additional heat soak the pods will hinder a little of the vapor production. The Focus is a conduction vape so the heat has to "touch" the herb by coming in contact via the oven walls or pod walls and the pod has to get hot for that to happen. Also...Try using less herb. If you're packing it too full the herb doesn't get pushed around during the draw as much. When the herb gets pushed around by the draw different pieces/areas of herb can touch the heated oven/pod walls. A finer grind can also help but not so fine that it will fall through the holes. Also...when using the pods you may want to increase the temp a bit higher than what you use without the pod.

Last edited:

kbrown5523

Hopping in Washington
I think you'll find the pods require more of a heat soak than without the pods but even with the additional heat soak the pods will hinder a little of the vapor production. The Focus is a conduction vape so the heat has to "touch" the herb by coming in contact via the oven walls or pod walls and the pod has to get hot for that to happen. Also...Try using less herb. If you're packing it too full the herb doesn't get pushed around during the draw as much. When the herb gets pushed around by the draw different pieces/areas of herb can touch the heated oven/pod walls. A finer grind can also help but not so fine that it will fall through the holes. Also...when using the pods you may want to increase the temp a bit higher than what you use without the pod.

I appreciate your help. I've tried most of the above, but you gave me a couple of new ideas to play with. I've had it for a couple of weeks now, trying everything I could, finally just yesterday I broke down and loaded some herb in without the pod and it was like a night and day difference. With the pods, heat soaked, on max temp I can't come close to what it does at lower temps without the pods. I am definitely a cloud chaser though, after years of ripping it off a bong. I think I'm going to keep trying with the pods and only go without if I'm really feeling the need for that hard hit.

It's an amazingly good unit, especially for it's price. I always knew I preferred more of a one hitter than a session unit though, which is why I started off with an ESV2. Sadly, it didn't give nearly the clouds that I wanted and it's hard to do the perfect draw needed every time, among other issues. I figure I need a cross between the Focus Pro and the ESV2 and I hope the GH will be it.

moondog

I appreciate your help. I've tried most of the above, but you gave me a couple of new ideas to play with. I've had it for a couple of weeks now, trying everything I could, finally just yesterday I broke down and loaded some herb in without the pod and it was like a night and day difference. With the pods, heat soaked, on max temp I can't come close to what it does at lower temps without the pods. I am definitely a cloud chaser though, after years of ripping it off a bong. I think I'm going to keep trying with the pods and only go without if I'm really feeling the need for that hard hit.

It's an amazingly good unit, especially for it's price. I always knew I preferred more of a one hitter than a session unit though, which is why I started off with an ESV2. Sadly, it didn't give nearly the clouds that I wanted and it's hard to do the perfect draw needed every time, among other issues. I figure I need a cross between the Focus Pro and the ESV2 and I hope the GH will be it.
I followed you over here from the Grasshopper thread to tell you all the things that His Highness has already covered. As you already know, there are ways to maximize the performance with pods, but I think using the pods means that you are giving up some vapor production in order to get the convenience of the pod system.

It sounds to me like the grasshopper will fit your usage patterns/desires perfectly. Whether you find it simple to use will depend in part on how susceptible you are to VAAS (Vape Accessory Acquisition Syndrome) because there are LOTS of cool toys you can buy for your hopper.

Coincidentally (and to bring us back on topic), I used my Focus Pro for the first time today after using only my hopper for about 10 weeks. There really is no comparison. But I found the Focus to be just right for what I needed at the moment: a slight lift and some pain relief while I was out for a walk. Much milder buzz than the hopper, which pretty consistently knocks me on my ass.

kbrown5523

Hopping in Washington
I was just trying out the pods again, and I have to add, I get so annoyed at the trail of vapor that comes off the pod when I take it out of the Focus after not being able to get any vape when I sucked forever on the thing (through water).

It sounds to me like the grasshopper will fit your usage patterns/desires perfectly. Whether you find it simple to use will depend in part on how susceptible you are to VAAS (Vape Accessory Acquisition Syndrome) because there are LOTS of cool toys you can buy for your hopper.

I am going crazy waiting. I'm already looking at accessories and my wish list is growing and I haven't even gotten my GH yet! I never thought I'd get VAS, let alone VAAS, but I have them both, big time.

kbrown5523,

fogbank

It's been mentioned before in this thread, but there have been two different types of pods sold for the Focus Pro. The original pods looked like two screen "baskets" that kind of screwed together with a metal ring. The second pods look like "barrels" with screw-on lids:

http://www.puffitup.com/Focus-Dry-Material-Pod-p/fcv.114-dry_cart.htm

I have both types of pods, and the newer pods did not work well for me at all. I still use the original "screen basket" pods in my Focus Pro, and they work very well for me. They keep the oven clean and allow for decent vapor production. Unfortunately I don't know if the old style pods are still available.

I always allow a 60 second heat soak after the vape reaches its set temperature. Even with the heat soak the new style pods barely produced any vapor for me. I've compared the old and new style pods using the same material, same set temperature, and same heat-soak time. The old ones work very nicely.

kbrown5523

Hopping in Washington
I got the new style pods, I'd love to find the old style ones, sounds much better.

kbrown5523,

kbrown5523

Hopping in Washington
Sorry for the double post, but just tonight my focus pro is starting to draw like it's plugged up or something. Anyone have this happen? Any advice?

kbrown5523,

moondog

Sorry for the double post, but just tonight my focus pro is starting to draw like it's plugged up or something. Anyone have this happen? Any advice?
My guess is you need to clean the filter in the mouthpiece.

Look at the bottom of the mouthpiece (the side that sits in the chamber when the mouthpiece is screwed in place). You will see a circular assembly in the middle. That can be unscrewed and you need to do that carefully because when that piece comes off the tiny screen and ceramic filter inside will fall out. Pay close attention to the order in which they sit in place so that you can reassemble it later.

Drop the screen, filter, and housing (the thing you unscrewed) in some iso for a while. Throw the glass mouthpiece in there also while you're at it.

Rinse, let dry, reassemble, resume Focusing.

His_Highness

If it's the white puck and assembly @moondog is referring to and you don't want to clean it continually....remove it all and just place a SS screen on top of the oven.

I started using the screen on top of the oven without the assembly after a week of use. The white ceramic puck (assuming the newer ones still use the white ceramic puck) will eliminate much of the bits coming through the oven into your mouth and adds a little 'cooling' to the draw. I didn't like the design and the Focus was so much smoother than some of my other vapes without the puck and screw base that I didn't miss it and liked the draw/pull better without it.

His_Highness,
Reactions: moondog

kbrown5523

Hopping in Washington
Thanks guys! Just thought I'd post what worked in case anyone else has the problem. I keep my Focus really clean and only use the stainless adapter with water. I made sure I wasn't packing my herb too tight, because I know that can restrict airflow as well, but that wasn't it. I did a little reading and I tried just letting it run through a few heat cycles with no herb in it. I guess the oils can accumulate and that can help to burn them off. I don't know about the oils, but that did seem to return the airflow to normal.

moondog

Thanks guys! Just thought I'd post what worked in case anyone else has the problem. I keep my Focus really clean and only use the stainless adapter with water. I made sure I wasn't packing my herb too tight, because I know that can restrict airflow as well, but that wasn't it. I did a little reading and I tried just letting it run through a few heat cycles with no herb in it. I guess the oils can accumulate and that can help to burn them off. I don't know about the oils, but that did seem to return the airflow to normal.
Glad you solved your problem.

I notice in your sig that you've got a Grasshopper on the way. Here's a tip: The hopper's silicon mouthpiece cover fits perfectly on the Focus stainless adapter to create a great seal with water tools. Cross-vape synergy FTW!!!!

kbrown5523

Hopping in Washington
My Focus Pro stopped working and I tried contacting them, but I never heard back so I contacted PIU. They sent me a free battery to see if that solved the problem. When it didn't they let me send it to them free of charge. I sent it in on a Wednesday and had what appeared to be a brand new one back the following Wednesday.

I love my Focus Pro, but I like an on-demand vape for most of my usage, but I can't say enough for both the Focus Pro and PIU.

moondog

My Focus Pro stopped working and I tried contacting them, but I never heard back so I contacted PIU. They sent me a free battery to see if that solved the problem. When it didn't they let me send it to them free of charge. I sent it in on a Wednesday and had what appeared to be a brand new one back the following Wednesday.

I love my Focus Pro, but I like an on-demand vape for most of my usage, but I can't say enough for both the Focus Pro and PIU.

Glad you got a good solution. PIU's support and customer service improve any vape!

His_Highness

My Focus Pro stopped working and I tried contacting them, but I never heard back so I contacted PIU.

Hopefully this is a customer service fluke for the Focus manufacturer. I was really impressed with their customer service early on. Wonder if they've grown too fast or maybe it was a holiday in China? Curious to see if they ever get back to you......

His_Highness,
Top Bottom