Pen Focus Vaporizer

Hi everyone,
Yay first post on here, have been reading a fair bit of this forum over the last couple of weeks though.

I purchased one of these Focus Vape pro's about 2 weeks ago and was just starting to enjoy it and get the hang of it (first time Vaper) but the last couple of times I've used it the word 'protect' has come up on the screen then it shows the temperature dropping and you pretty much have to take the battery out and reinstall it to get the thing working again, then it seems to run fine again.

Can someone shed any light on this?

Thanks very much for any assistance.

GrandMaesterOfTheWaesters,
Reactions: His_Highness

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Hi everyone,
Yay first post on here, have been reading a fair bit of this forum over the last couple of weeks though.

I purchased one of these Focus Vape pro's about 2 weeks ago and was just starting to enjoy it and get the hang of it (first time Vaper) but the last couple of times I've used it the word 'protect' has come up on the screen then it shows the temperature dropping and you pretty much have to take the battery out and reinstall it to get the thing working again, then it seems to run fine again.

Can someone shed any light on this?

Thanks very much for any assistance.

Mine has never done anything like that. Sounds like some sort of overheating or circuit protection. I would email iFocus support and ask them. Use the email address or submission form on their website. They are very responsive and accommodating. Hope this helps.

BTW, who did you purchase it from?

Keep us posted.

Mine has never done anything like that. Sounds like some sort of overheating or circuit protection. I would email iFocus support and ask them. Use the email address or submission form on their website. They are very responsive and accommodating. Hope this helps.

BTW, who did you purchase it from?

Keep us posted.

Thanks moondog, i contacted them yesterday, haven't received a reply as of yet. Also thinking i should probably contact the store that i got it from (' The Hempstore' here in New Zealand). A bit annoying as it's an intermittent problem so I'm wondering if it'll suddenly decide to work fine if i take it back there.
Will keep you posted

GrandMaesterOfTheWaesters,
Reactions: His_Highness

moondog

I sometimes had to wait a day but the time difference between Hong Kong and the US is a lot more than the difference between HK and NZ. The other point I just remembered is that as my correspondence progressed, some of the messages I sent via the submission form were never received. I had my best success sending an email to Lina Zhu at focusvape [ifocus@ifocustechnology.com.cn], copying that message into the submission form, and sending it that way as well; indicating in each message that it was a duplicate.

Lina is very responsive and responsible. If I didn't answer her within a day, she would follow up with another email to make sure I got hers, so if you don't get a response within 48-72 hours (allowing for days off or whatever at their end, let's say), I would follow up.

She may end up telling you to contact your local retailer, but it would be great to know from her just what that error message means.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
@GrandMaesterOfTheWaesters - Never had anything like the 'Protect' happen. Are you using the pass-thru functionality or using the battery stand-alone?

Also-Make sure that the Focus support email response doesn't end up in your spam folder. It's a remote possibility but still something to look out for.

Hey Guys,
Haven't received a reply from Focus yet, have sent the messages both ways as moondog said. Have also checked my junk/spam inbox and no luck. Hopefully it won't be too far away as I'm quite curious about it.

Had a vape session yesterday and it went fine so that's twice that it's ran fine since the 'protect' code came up. Haven't been using it as much as I'd like due to a bit of a local flower shortage.

@His_Highness I've just been charging it and then using it standalone, haven't used the pass through function at all.

Last edited:

StcBlueMi

I'm really thinking about buying the Focusvape Pro.
But I'm still not 100% convinced. I've read that the Focusvape comes with herb capsules/cartridges.
But on every shopage I've visited those where never listed or mentioned at all.
Since I really would like to have those, I am wondering if capsules from other Vaporizers fit into the Focusvape. I found a shopage which lists the oil capsules for the flowermate as compatible to the Focusvape. But I am not sure if this holds for the herb capsules aswell.

(This is the shoppage. It's in german, but it should be clear anyways.)

Also I would like to know how long the battery lasts.
Is passthrough loading possible?
And how much grinded herb (measured in grams) fit into the chamber?
Is it easy to clean?
And what size is the focusvape? I would like to know diameter and length in Centimeters. So if someone who ownes this Vape could help me out, I would be glad!

djurodjakovic

I don't know how much it fits but I would say more than enough.
I had to buy herb capsules separately and I'm happy I did. I never use focus without one. I also got focus water tool that I use without water instead of regular glass mouthpiece.
cleaning is really easy when using capsule. the insides of the capsule stays clean after emptying. I don't know if it's because of "material" I'm currently using for vaping or the material of capsule...
for dimensions check official site.

moondog

You can read my full review of the Focus vape on the previous page. I will answer as many of your questions as I can:

I've read that the Focusvape comes with herb capsules/cartridges. But on every shopage I've visited those where never listed or mentioned at all.
Since I really would like to have those, I am wondering if capsules from other Vaporizers fit into the Focusvape. I found a shopage which lists the oil capsules for the flowermate as compatible to the Focusvape. But I am not sure if this holds for the herb capsules aswell.

The Focus does NOT come with the dry herb pods. You must order them separately. I ordered mine from PuffItUp.com. I cannot speak to other pods working in the Focus.

Also I would like to know how long the battery lasts.

I haven't paid strict attention, but I would say I get 5 or 6 loads from a battery.

Is passthrough loading possible?

I assume you mean using the vape while on the charger. If so, yes. But not on a completely dead battery. The battery will need to charge until the indicator shows 1 bar before passthrough will work.

Is it easy to clean?

Dead simple. In fact, with the pods, it barely ever needs to be cleaned. I use the Focus exclusively with the pods and I have yet to really need to clean the chamber other than brushing it out. The inner assembly of the mouthpiece is what needs occasional cleaning. Mostly just brushing. Every three or four weeks I will disassemble the mouthpiece (unscrewing one piece) and drop the screen, ceramic filter, and glass mouthpiece in some iso for 10 minutes. Rinse, air dry, reassemble. Simple and painless.

And what size is the focusvape? I would like to know diameter and length in Centimeters. So if someone who ownes this Vape could help me out, I would be glad!
As per the manual: 172 x 23.6 (mm)
Weight = 180 (g)

Last edited:

StcBlueMi

Thanks.

I'm still undecided.
It's gonna be either the Flowermate V5.0s Pro or the Focusvape Pro.
I had my hands on experience with the Flowermate and I liked it very much. The only thing I did not like is the fact that I can't charge it with (mini-)USB and that the battery is not replacable.
This is where the Focusvape seems to top the Flowermate.

So is anyone out there, that knows both vaporizers and could give his/her own opinion regarding the direct comparison between the Focusvape and the Flowermate?

StcBlueMi,
@moondog
@His_Highness

Still haven't received a reply from them! Emailed them, msg via their website, and facebook.

- Luckily though it hasn't thrown up the 'protect' since that one weekend and it has been running great since. Really enjoy using it and quite content with it. Even though i sort of keep looking at other vapes every now and them there doesn't seem to be any real reason to get another when this one runs fine.

Keen as to buy a few of the pods for myself for a xmas pressie, they look sweet.

His_Highness

@moondog
@His_Highness

Still haven't received a reply from them! Emailed them, msg via their website, and facebook.

- Luckily though it hasn't thrown up the 'protect' since that one weekend and it has been running great since. Really enjoy using it and quite content with it. Even though i sort of keep looking at other vapes every now and them there doesn't seem to be any real reason to get another when this one runs fine.

Keen as to buy a few of the pods for myself for a xmas pressie, they look sweet.

Sorry to hear that....one of the things I liked about the vape was how good the customer support was. I'm reaching here but .... Have you checked your spam folder for their email? Only other thing I can suggest is hitting them up again and in the second attempt mention how disappointed you were with the lack of response in the first attempts.

His_Highness,
Reactions: moondog

jdent3

Can the focus vape charger be used for any 18650? I got an LG HG2 today for an ecig mod and wanted to use the charger for it.

jdent3,

moondog

Can the focus vape charger be used for any 18650? I got an LG HG2 today for an ecig mod and wanted to use the charger for it.
I suppose it could but I must say that the charger I got with mine was the only part of the package that was less than impressive. Seemed pretty bare bones (not a bad thing in itself) and didn't inspire confidence. Noway of knowing the charge rate and can't be sure it shuts off automatically when the battery is charged.

Someone else may have a better handle on it than I do, though.

moondog,
Reactions: jdent3

jdent3

I suppose it could but I must say that the charger I got with mine was the only part of the package that was less than impressive. Seemed pretty bare bones (not a bad thing in itself) and didn't inspire confidence. Noway of knowing the charge rate and can't be sure it shuts off automatically when the battery is charged.

Someone else may have a better handle on it than I do, though.

Thanks. I'll likely get a better charger soon but I just need one until I do that.i. not too concerned about the battery though there not super expensive

jdent3,

His_Highness

I've had some of those bare bones chargers sap the life from my batteries. If you're going to use them you should monitor the heat the battery is throwing off when being charged. Warm is ok...hot is not.

His_Highness,

jdent3

I've had some of those bare bones chargers sap the life from my batteries. If you're going to use them you should monitor the heat the battery is throwing off when being charged. Warm is ok...hot is not.

I did some more research and it appears to have protection from overcharging. It charged my battery fine last night it's just really slow. It's just a temporary measure until I get a better charger.

moondog

I did some more research and it appears to have protection from overcharging. It charged my battery fine last night it's just really slow. It's just a temporary measure until I get a better charger.
You could also charge it in the unit.

Aelar07

So I bought the focusvape a few months aggo and it works well half of the time. but sometimes I charge it fully and go to use it but I get a yellow flashing light when I try to get it to heat up. The battery was completely charged so I'm not sure why it won't heat up.

Aelar07,

moondog

So I bought the focusvape a few months aggo and it works well half of the time. but sometimes I charge it fully and go to use it but I get a yellow flashing light when I try to get it to heat up. The battery was completely charged so I'm not sure why it won't heat up.

Sorry to hear you're having problems. Is what you're experiencing like this?:

Sorry I don't have an answer for you. Yours is the second instance of Focus behavior with which I am unfamiliar. Did you try GrandMaester's technique of removing and reinstalling the battery? Do you have more than one battery and if so, does this happen with both of them?

I guess my first step would be to email iFocus and ask them if they have any clues. I would also get a second battery (always good to have an extra) and see if I could replicate the behavior with a different battery. That test would let you know if it's the unit or the battery.

Aelar07

Sorry to hear you're having problems. Is what you're experiencing like this?:

Sorry I don't have an answer for you. Yours is the second instance of Focus behavior with which I am unfamiliar. Did you try GrandMaester's technique of removing and reinstalling the battery? Do you have more than one battery and if so, does this happen with both of them?

I guess my first step would be to email iFocus and ask them if they have any clues. I would also get a second battery (always good to have an extra) and see if I could replicate the behavior with a different battery. That test would let you know if it's the unit or the battery.

I think I might need a new battery. not exactly sure. But I emailed them and I'll see what they have to say.

Aelar07,

His_Highness

I think I might need a new battery. not exactly sure. But I emailed them and I'll see what they have to say.

Did you try charging the battery using an external charger? My guess with 'protect code' coming up is that the battery was getting low or is has been compromised so it doesn't hold charge. In some vapes when the charge gets too low it turns itself off to preserve/save the battery.

Are you using the battery that came with the unit?

EDIT: I just remembered that the Focus has pass-through functionality. Meaning you can use it while plugged in BUT using the pass-through on some units can destroy a battery if the pass-through works through the battery. Pass-through via the battery is like charging one nano second and using the battery power the next nano second in a continuous cycle. This causes the battery to be stressed and lose the ability to hold a sustained charge. Have you been using the pass-through?

Last edited:
His_Highness,

Aelar07

Did you try charging the battery using an external charger? My guess with 'protect code' coming up is that the battery was getting low or is has been compromised so it doesn't hold charge. In some vapes when the charge gets too low it turns itself off to preserve/save the battery.

Are you using the battery that came with the unit?

EDIT: I just remembered that the Focus has pass-through functionality. Meaning you can use it while plugged in BUT using the pass-through on some units can destroy a battery if the pass-through works through the battery. Pass-through via the battery is like charging one nano second and using the battery power the next nano second in a continuous cycle. This causes the battery to be stressed and lose the ability to hold a sustained charge. Have you been using the pass-through?

No I don't use the passthrough function, It's been doing this since I got it. I think the battery might just be defective.

Top Bottom