ninick,

max

Out to lunch
hello
then in the end what you prefer between V8 and V5 PRO
I have the V8
there really a difference?
have you tested v6?
There's certainly a difference in size between those 3. The V8 is quite a bit larger than the 5 series and the 6 is a pen style vape. For a pocket vape I'd go for any of the 3 versions of the 5, vs. the 8 or 6.

OF

For a pocket vape I'd go for any of the 3 versions of the 5, vs. the 8 or 6.

Taking that a step further, for a pocket vape I suggest the Mini has the clear advantage. While giving full performance (but shorter battery life) it's a lot smaller. If you have 'largish' hands it's easy to palm it.

OF

max

Out to lunch
Taking that a step further, for a pocket vape I suggest the Mini has the clear advantage. While giving full performance (but shorter battery life) it's a lot smaller. If you have 'largish' hands it's easy to palm it.

OF
No doubt. And to be accurate there are actually 4 versions of the 5- fixed temp, 3 temp, Pro, and Mini, with the Mini obviously the smaller form factor. I haven't gotten my hands on a Mini yet, but the HipVap, with its 'palmable' size, has really made me appreciate being able to hide a vape in my hand.

Dman

• Hello,
This is my first post! Yay.
Anyway...I bought a flowermate mini. And noticed when looking inside the chamber that it's got what looks like black scrape marks from when the screen was installed. Now when I use this, will ceramic coating also be burned? Or is it safe to use. I have a pic but can't figure out how to post it.
Thanks

Dman,
Reactions: OF

OF

• Hello,
This is my first post! Yay.
Anyway...I bought a flowermate mini. And noticed when looking inside the chamber that it's got what looks like black scrape marks from when the screen was installed. Now when I use this, will ceramic coating also be burned? Or is it safe to use. I have a pic but can't figure out how to post it.
Thanks

First off, howdy, welcome to the Forum. IMO solid choice as a first vape, easy to 'get your feet wet'.

I would not worry about the black marks. They're metal scuffed off the screen at the bottom as it was pushed home, now oxidized. It's only a few atoms thick. This happens on lots of ceramic surfaces, since most ceramics are harder than most metals (think of them is very fine grindstones).

If you insist on it, you can probably clean them out with a piece of "Magic Eraser" in hemostats or lashed to a bamboo skewer? The issue would then be trying to clean all the debris from the 'eraser'. While the metal oxides on the wall aren't a health hazard, that's not necessarily the case for the Melamine foam:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine_foam

OF

Dman

First off, howdy, welcome to the Forum. IMO solid choice as a first vape, easy to 'get your feet wet'.

I would not worry about the black marks. They're metal scuffed off the screen at the bottom as it was pushed home, now oxidized. It's only a few atoms thick. This happens on lots of ceramic surfaces, since most ceramics are harder than most metals (think of them is very fine grindstones).

If you insist on it, you can probably clean them out with a piece of "Magic Eraser" in hemostats or lashed to a bamboo skewer? The issue would then be trying to clean all the debris from the 'eraser'. While the metal oxides on the wall aren't a health hazard, that's not necessarily the case for the Melamine foam:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine_foam

OF

Appreciate your response. I won't worry about it then.

Thanks

Jon Vapes

@OF: The rest is fine. They could have isolated the air intake from the electronics better, but one of their OEM clients had the idea first and got the exclusivity, meaning they can't backport it to the standard FM range.
@KeroZen What is the name of the OEM client out of curiosity. I'd be interested to compare their designs

Jon Vapes,
Reactions: KeroZen

max

Out to lunch
@KeroZen What is the name of the OEM client out of curiosity.
https://www.e-livi8.com/

Nothing really to compare, design wise, other than different temps (340, 365, 420) and the air path, which I don't think is a big deal with the FM. This one's $150, but they do offer free shipping and a 1 yr. warranty. Return shipping could be costly though, if you're not in the UK.

IMO the 385 starting temp on the FM is too high (I start vaping before it gets there), and with the Elivi8 I don't like the jump from 365 to 420.

Jon Vapes

@max It's too bad that they beat FM to the improved airpath design, but I think I will be satisfied when my FM mini arrives this week, because it seems to still have an overall superior design. Thanks for the response

Jon Vapes,

max

Out to lunch
It's too bad that they beat FM to the improved airpath design, but I think I will be satisfied when my FM mini arrives this week, because it seems to still have an overall superior design. Thanks for the response

If I had to buy one or the other for $150, I'd probably lean toward the Elivi8 because I like the 1st two temps they use, but they'd need to have another color option. I don't like that shiny mirror finish their version has. It's not stealthy IMO, and I'd always be buffing off my fingerprints. I'd also balk at paying $150 for this-either version. I'd either go with dhgate and hope I didn't need the warranty, or pay a little more and buy from puffitup, where you can depend on Randy's top rate service.

420boi

been using my flowermate pro for a few days now and so far its been pretty good. The only thing that annoys me are the tiny screens that get clogged super easily. Anyone have any suggestions to modify the airflow?

420boi,

OF

https://www.e-livi8.com/

Nothing really to compare, design wise, other than different temps (340, 365, 420) and the air path, which I don't think is a big deal with the FM.
IMO the 385 starting temp on the FM is too high (I start vaping before it gets there), and with the Elivi8 I don't like the jump from 365 to 420.

Thanks for the infromation. This improved air path idea looks a lot like the Mini? I don't (yet) have a larger FM, but my Mini seems to draw through the bottom.

While I'm OK with the higher 'low' temperature (it's where I use Solo/Air), I understand how some guys like lower. But also agree a 55 degree step is mighty large. I fear I'd be caught constantly looking for step 2.5 or something.......

OF

Edit:

You know, sometimes things are slow to sink in, I just realized some shady slight of hand is going on on their spec page, they claim both 7.4 Volts and 5200mAh for their battery:
  • BATTERY CAPACITY
    5200MAH LI-ION
  • OPERATING VOLTAGE
    7.4V
  • OUTPUT VOLTAGE
    6.0-8.4V
The battery is o doubt made of two 3.7 Volt, 2600mAh 18650 cells (as is FM) which can be assembled in series for a battery of 7.4 Volts, 2600mAh or in parallel for 3.7 Volts and 5200mAh, but 'not both'.

I'd like to think it's an honest mistake, but no legit Engineer would make such a statement. Sales types, OTOH, know numbers sell and it seems are willing to stretch the facts a bit? The FM, OTOH, makes a more honest statement:

"The FlowerMate 5.0S has two built-in 2600 mAh Li-ion rechargeable batteries."

I find that Elivi8 claim at best misleading (not a good thing)........

OF

Last edited:

max

Out to lunch
Anyone have any suggestions to modify the airflow?
All you can do is swap out the fine mesh mouthpiece screen for a standard stainless steel screen. You'll still get herb sucked up onto the mp screen, but it won't block your air flow nearly as much. I highly recommend the screen swap. I've used this design for years with the DaVinci, and with a standard mp screen the air flow is ok- just brush off the screen between bowls and remove it at intervals for thorough cleaning. You should also probably avoid a really fine grind, since that'll clog the screen more, and small particles will get through the screen.

This improved air path idea looks a lot like the Mini? I don't (yet) have a larger FM, but my Mini seems to draw through the bottom.
Maybe the Mini is considered a different design, due to the different size, and they were able to change the air path without violating any agreements. :shrug: If I were to buy another FM model, it would be the Mini. I like the variable temp adjustment on the Pro, but I have that with my HipVap, and that has stealthy size going for it too.

AnthoFranco

i received the FM 5.0s over the weekend, just in time for fathers day.

been running on high, trying to step away from joints.

the past couple of sessions, i kept on low and took my time. pretty nice.

i plan on getting more coarse screen's soon and 1 of ed's TnT MP's.

screens look hard to replace. we'll see.

thank you everyone for sharing your experiences with these devices.

Enchantre

Oil Painter
Found a Flowermate Mini V5.05 in my mailbox today!

charged it up, loaded a bit in it, and gave it a whirl.

I like it. My hubby likes it! Once in awhile, an honest conduction vape is exactly what is needed. and, it's rather cute! More pocketable than my ESV, though it is definitely a session vape rather than a hit&run.

I'm diggin it so far.

Grandma Dabs out...

remp

I fucked up pretty bad. I've been in love with my flowermate V5.0 pro for the past 2 months, but about two weeks ago vapor production started declining, to the point where it wasn't enjoyable anymore, I just wasted material... This was due to the original screen getting clogged. I tried removing it with no succes, (well I did remove it eventually...) I tried using a safety pin, I just couldn't push it with enough force to pry it out. My next try was a x-acto, still couldn't pry it out. I got mad and applied too much force, and I broke the ceramic filter under the screen, also hurting the wire under it. Now the unit won't heat up. I'm a dumb fuck. Here are some pics:

uTwQCXQ.jpg

VpbqOFe.jpg

Learn from my mistake guys.

My question is: How bad does that cable look? Could that be the problem, or it's the broken ceramic piece? (I don't know if that plays any role in the heat up process)

I would try to solder the wire, I just can't take the unit apart and found no instructions on it. I wonder if you can even take it apart.... Any ideas?

OF

My question is: How bad does that cable look? Could that be the problem, or it's the broken ceramic piece? (I don't know if that plays any role in the heat up process)

I would try to solder the wire, I just can't take the unit apart and found no instructions on it. I wonder if you can even take it apart.... Any ideas?

The damage to the wire (not a cable) doesn't look fatal to me. It looks like a single solid conductor with a teflon insulating tube over it (they typical construction). The conductor seems intact? My guess is the issue is other damage (like a broken wire) from the accident.

To take it apart, pry (gently) the two sliding doors, there are two screws on each end under them. One end (bottom?) is a cover that falls off, the works then slides out the other end. The body is just a tube.

Interesting construction, it looks like the floor of the oven is a flat plate separate from the walls?

Bummer you've got the problem, but thanks for passing the warning. I agree, not something you really want to have happen.

You might want to keep an eye on PIU's 'last call' page, open box versions are $55 when in stock (hopefully again soon, the last batch sold out fast....):
http://www.puffitup.com/Flowermate-5-0S-p/flowermate5sopenbox.htm

OF

OF,

Haunts

To take it apart, pry (gently) the two sliding doors, there are two screws on each end under them. One end (bottom?) is a cover that falls off, the works then slides out the other end. The body is just a tube.

The Pro doesn't have screws under the bottom door.
I've tried taking mine apart but just couldn't figure it out, I got as far as taking the top plate of. If you figure it out please post a guide.

Haunts,
Reactions: OF

OF

The Pro doesn't have screws under the bottom door.
I've tried taking mine apart but just couldn't figure it out, I got as far as taking the top plate of. If you figure it out please post a guide.

Neither does my Mini. Take the two screws out, remove the plate and push the works out. The tube is solid, it has to slide in.

Both covers have to come off at any rate, the cover blocks the works from sliding out.

"A man built it, a man can take it apart".

Earlier in this thread there's some photos of a guy who opened up his to get access to the bottom to push the screen plate out from below, something you might try next time?

OF

OF,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
There is some added difficulty in the pro with the screen and extra buttons on the side, as you could damage them if you are not careful. But yes, there MUST be a way... :)

Note that with some mechanical effort (lots of q-tips and ISO) it's possible to clean the original bottom screen in place. You can scrap it gently with the metal tamping tool spoon end too. The best strategy is to clean it regularily and to not wait until it's too late.

Top Bottom