Flower vs Dabbing in relation to a healthier choice

mnd99

Okay. So we have some devices now like the Flowerpot and Evo and many others where you can both! Not knowing much about how the materials used for dabbing are produced or made, I wanted to ask the experienced users here about what was more of a healthier choice

I have read that people who need to do a lot of flower can easily get the same effect by dabbing with much smaller intake. Basically allowing your lungs to work as much to get where you need to go.

At the same time, I have also read how some of these dabbing materials are made are not necessarily good for your body. I live in a legal state and how can one make sure where you ask the right questions when it comes to acquiring materials for dabbing?

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I would suggest solventless meds such as rosin or Co2 extracts.

I press most of my rosin myself with my Dabpress, this allows me to know exactly what material the concentrate was made from. This is a chemical free extraction that makes great dabbables.

shredder

Okay. So we have some devices now like the Flowerpot and Evo and many others where you can both! Not knowing much about how the materials used for dabbing are produced or made, I wanted to ask the experienced users here about what was more of a healthier choice

I have read that people who need to do a lot of flower can easily get the same effect by dabbing with much smaller intake. Basically allowing your lungs to work as much to get where you need to go.

At the same time, I have also read how some of these dabbing materials are made are not necessarily good for your body. I live in a legal state and how can one make sure where you ask the right questions when it comes to acquiring materials for dabbing?

I have asthma, and I have hay fever. When they're bothering me I do better vaping rosin at low temperatures over vaping herb at low temps. High temperatures also bother me. I'm not sure if it's healthier or that I just inhale less due to the concentration.

anda1anda2

I have asthma, and I have hay fever. When they're bothering me I do better vaping rosin at low temperatures over vaping herb at low temps. High temperatures also bother me. I'm not sure if it's healthier or that I just inhale less due to the concentration.
What are you vaping rosin with? I only have a wax pen for concentrates (top airflow sai) and rosin hurts me more than vaping herb with other devices. I assumed it was just the nature of concentrates, but if others are getting different results, maybe I should reconsider my delivery method.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
What are you vaping rosin with? I only have a wax pen for concentrates (top airflow sai) and rosin hurts me more than vaping herb with other devices. I assumed it was just the nature of concentrates, but if others are getting different results, maybe I should reconsider my delivery method.

Did you press the rosin yourself? If not, who produced it? Does it look, and smell like an extremely high quality extract? When you say it "hurts more" what specifically do you mean?

florduh

I get this on some concentrates with a high terp content. Although I would say the back of my throat feels "hot" rather than actually hurting.

anda1anda2

Did you press the rosin yourself? If not, who produced it? Does it look, and smell like an extremely high quality extract? When you say it "hurts more" what specifically do you mean?
It is commercially produced rosin from an mmj dispensary. I do notice, as the other comment, the higher terp stuff is the harshest. I can feel a slight burn on the inhale in my throat and into the center of my chest.

Vaping herb, even bigger rips, is smoother for me usually.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
It is commercially produced rosin from an mmj dispensary. I do notice, as the other comment, the higher terp stuff is the harshest. I can feel a slight burn on the inhale in my throat and into the center of my chest.

Vaping herb, even bigger rips, is smoother for me usually.

Do you have a Poseidon water attachment for your Sai or are you vaping direct draw? And are you using a coil or bucket? I'm not sure what your flower vapes are for reference, but any vaporizer with an air path that short can be fairly harsh if you are more sensitive to vapor.

anda1anda2

Do you have a Poseidon water attachment for your Sai or are you vaping direct draw? And are you using a coil or bucket? I'm not sure what your flower vapes are for reference, but any vaporizer with an air path that short can be fairly harsh if you are more sensitive to vapor.
Only direct draw for the SAI which i am using with the ceramic coil with the bucket on too. I would like to add water, for sure. Do the posiden work well enough?

Honestly though, if I invest more in concentrate consumption, I would probably prefer something like an enail or flowerpot so i could use it with my full size glass.

For herb I am using an E-Nano and Woodscents both dry and through water.

florduh

Only direct draw for the SAI which i am using with the ceramic coil with the bucket on too. I would like to add water, for sure. Do the posiden work well enough?

Honestly though, if I invest more in concentrate consumption, I would probably prefer something like an enail or flowerpot so i could use it with my full size glass.

The Poseidon works really well. But you can still get that "terp tickle" @invertedisdead was referring to. On terpier stuff you'll likely get it no matter what.

I'm not sure if you're into RDA's, but the Molecule by AVS gives me great tasting results with almost no throat irritation. I have no desire to even use it with water. No clue how because it has a shorter airflow path than the Sai.

shredder

I should have mentioned my main method is using a sic dish on a dnail thru water. I can vape fresh rosin starting at about 500F. Once in a great while I use a pen with a ceramic dish.

How you use concentrates is huge to taste/effects. The dnail is expensive, but it's flavor city as well. Even the terpy rosin can hit smooth when you find the right temp.

Last edited:

fogbank

I vape both flower and oil. I mainly use a Grasshopper for flower and a Pax Era for oil.

I feel that vaping flower is "healthier" because it uses much lower temps. I think I have my Pax Era set at around 700 F, whereas the Grasshopper doesn't exceed 410 F. I feel greater irritation in my lungs when I use the Pax compared to the Grasshopper. I also believe that the higher temperatures when vaping oil are more likely to cause other chemicals to be formed (similar to combustion), although this is just speculation.

As far as effects are concerned, they are actually quite similar if you are using high quality flower. The oil hits a bit harder than the flower, but not by much.

Here is my theory on the effects of vaping oil vs. vaping flower:

Using the example of oil that is 85% THC; when you vape the oil you are consuming all of the oil in each hit, so each hit consists of 85% THC, and nothing is left behind.

Compare that to vaping flower at 20% THC, meaning that of all the flower material, 20% of it is THC. But when you vape flower, you are only vaping the volatile oils from the flower, leaving the bulk of the plant material behind. We know that 20% of the total plant material is THC, but do we know the percentage of THC that is in the volatile oils that are being vaporized? In theory the volatile oils could contain 85% THC!

Here's an analogy:

Let's say I bake a cake and frost it. Let's say that 20% of the entire cake then consists of frosting. If I scrape the frosting off of the cake, I get 100% frosting.

If I open a tub of frosting and eat it, I get 100% frosting. If I scrape the frosting off of a cake and eat it (leaving the cake behind) I also get 100% frosting.

I don't know if this holds up to scientific scrutiny. All I know is that I though vaping oil would blow me away after only vaping flower for a long time, but the difference was not as great as I expected.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I feel that vaping flower is "healthier" because it uses much lower temps. I think I have my Pax Era set at around 700 F, whereas the Grasshopper doesn't exceed 410 F. I feel greater irritation in my lungs when I use the Pax compared to the Grasshopper. I also believe that the higher temperatures when vaping oil are more likely to cause other chemicals to be formed (similar to combustion), although this is just speculation.

Why not turn the temp down? What pods you are using? I know Blue River specifically suggests adjusting the temp to 450F on the Pax app for their pods.

florduh

I think I have my Pax Era set at around 700 F, whereas the Grasshopper doesn't exceed 410 F. I feel greater irritation in my lungs when I use the Pax compared to the Grasshopper.

I don't vape most oils at more than 400 degrees, and often much less. You aren't exactly comparing apples to apples there.

I'm not sure what is healthier to be honest. There is no reliable data to point one way or the other. I do know I get the effects I want from 1 or 2 oil pulls, versus half a dozen or more flower hits. I tend to think taking less hot vapor into your lungs is better, but I don't know for sure.

tennisguru1

EXCELSIOR!

Get the Quartz Crucible Bucket & you will be in heaven., also use heater on Ti skillet
It has better and flatter heater for precise TCR#'s .You can sip on low temp or high
with no charing or waste. Total game changer for a low temp sipper like me.
I hook up all kinds of water (Via VapeDonkey's connects) but not need, but fun.
The sai & Molecule hook up real easy to Pinnacle & D020 Water Tools.

Just gave my Molecule away to buddy who like coil vaping, after testing, nice but
not ready for prime time till they fix a bunch of issues. No Quartz or Ceramic and
coil changing, but for $30 it was fun but too delicate , very promising future.

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
I personally enjoy the taste and feel of flower vapor a bit more than concentrates. It is more full bodied and offers a range of flavors as you roast the load darker and darker. It adds some complexity to the flavor and experience which I appreciate.

That being said... I always find if my throat is irritated or I have a cold, I am able to remain medicated much more effectively with concentrates over flower. I'm not sure it is "healthier," per say, but you have the ability to achieve a much less irritating vapor with concentrates, no doubt about that.

shredder

I know this is an old post, but maybe I can help. Since your post I bought a sai taf and both buckets.

I posted about it in the sai thread. I wasn't pleased with the taste and it caused me to cough a lot.

Before giving up on it, I tried the ceramic donut by itself. Eureka! It worked great. And I bought several 5 packs of donut coils for it.

I'm using it at 30w in temperature control mode at 290F for rosin. I can load a huge dab and hit off it all day. Great taste throughout.

A coil lasts me a day or so before it gets dirty. When I have 5-6 dirty, I clean them.

So if you still have your sai, try it with just the donut sans a bucket. I'm very pleased with mine.

Top Bottom