Flavor - What am I doing wrong?

sektr

Alright, so ever since I first became interested in vaping, all I ever heard was how much better the flavor was compared to smoking.

I've been through 5 different vapes now (MFLB, DV, Ascent, Volcano, Cloud EVO), and I'm still not seeing it. My EVO, which everyone told me would have unbelievable flavor, has given me the same experience as all the other vapes so far, a fairly standard weed taste (only variable seems to be hints of sourness or earthiness between strains, forget any depth to the taste though) for 2-3 pulls then just straight vaped popcorn taste.

I know it's not my weed, I am smoking MMJ from British Columbia.

For example:

I recently had two VERY unique fruity, flavorful strains, Huckleberry and Lemon Kush. In joints, I could taste the fruity aspect of both strains fully. They were both delicious and clean smoking to the very end.

I put both in my EVO and could not get even a hint of their signature flavors, either with or without water filtration.

Am I doing something wrong here?.... Cause I just don't see this so called flavor improvement. Yeah it tastes better than a highly filtered bong rip, but a bubbler, pipe or joint all seem to give me a truer representation of the strain I'm sampling...

sektr,

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
What temperature are you starting at?

When I use my Davinci Ascent at 330F, the flavor is unbearable on some strains! The aromatic perfume is so much stronger than you'd exect at those low temperatures.

If you're starting at 370F+, I bet you're vaping all the terps in that first hit!

Also for what it's worth - if you want best flavor, avoid the water path all together!

hoptimum

Smoking includes a lot of "flavors" that are byproducts of combustion. Vaporization is the absence of those byproducts, so youre just getting the more subtle flavors of the terpenes and cannabinoids, and none of the byproducts of combustion. The best tasting vaporizers are specifically designed with an all glass vapor path to add nothing to the flavor of the herb. I dont think youre missing the flavor of the herb, youre missing the "flavor" of combustion.

hoptimum,
Reactions: kahlilhc

puddleglum

I never really liked the flavor of vaping. Sometimes it even makes me gag a little.

I will say however as I vape more and more, every once in a while I get a really flavorful hit early on in the session, nice grassy flavor.

puddleglum,

puddleglum

You are still smoking.

Stop that shit and in around 3 months all spliffs/bongs will taste like BBQ and vaping will be the only option.

Trust me.

If that was directed at me, I agree smoking is disgusting. That doesn't mean I can't also have a valid opinion/experience that the popcorn taste of vaping sometimes makes me retch.

puddleglum,

h3rbalist

I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too
If that was directed at me, I agree smoking is disgusting. That doesn't mean I can't also have a valid opinion/experience that the popcorn taste of vaping sometimes makes me retch.

Not directly, but its relevant to anyone still smoking.

Your opinion on taste is clouded by the fact you have maybe 10% of your taste buds working and they're calibrated to combustion.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
All good points here...it's you! The vapes you have provide some of the best tastes available. The Ascent is the best tasting of your bunch, imo. Turn the temp down and stop smoking. I like the occasional J, but mostly to remind me of what I left behind.

Eschient

Giga-Dweebess
"Sour" and "Earthy" make me think your temps are too high. Obviously I'm a newb here, but whenever I get a sour taste, it's because I forgot to drop the temp back down after a pre-warm or between strains.

I'd also agree with the still smoking crowd. When I switched from combustion to vaping, I went whole hog. I had quit smoking cigarettes years back, but had been combusting daily for a few months. It still took me a few weeks of straight vaping before I started to taste any real flavors.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Drop your temps folks! Popcorn taste should only happen when the temperature is too high or if your bowl is cooking too fast.

With the Ascent the OP have, I can get 2 to 3 uber tasty temperature levels where the flavor is present for the entire level duration until it's depleted. Only when I reach above 195°C/383°F does it start to degrade. Start low and work your way up, it's the way to go for flavor. It takes more time to end the session though, so it's a matter of trade-off if you need to medicate quickly.

On my FM5.S the first temperature level is already 195°C/383°F and it's too high. Yes you get good clouds right from the start, but the taste degrades with every hit you take, with ABV/popcorn sneaking in fast. On my gf's original FM5 the single temperature is 210°C/410°F and it's even worse, you only get 4-5 hits worth of flavor (and even those tend to have a partially roasted aspect) then it's full on ABV/popcorn afterwards, it can even be gross yeah.

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
Drop your temps folks!
Absolutely agreed!

In my new vaping regimen, (at least for now) I vape to a temp of 175C/347F max for daytime sessions. Hits reflected below (all done through a water tool, so flavor took a hit due to that)...

1st - 99.9% flavor... no visible vapor on exhale. Like exhaling flavor... :nod:
Stir (and knock stuck herb off top screen of herbalizer bowl).
2nd - 95% flavor... barely visible vapor when exhaling into white led lamp.
3rd through 10th - flavor present throughout all hits, vapor quantity varies on exhale in unison with halogen lamp firing up to heat oven.
10th through 20th - flavor present... doesn't reach popcorn taste. (at least for my sorry taste buds!) vapor production tapering off to nothingness.
**Session end, dump abv into container to be revaped later at 235C for sedative effects. These hit quite heavily, much more than if I'd have just vaped the herbs initially at 235C. I believe this is due to the first vape session extracting the majority of the euphoric/uplifting goodies.

Depending on strain, elevation level reached at a certain point, and what I have left to do... could end a day time session after 5 hits... or time and other aspects of the day permitting, after 20+ draws (or herb exhausted at 175C temp, no longer producing vapor or taste).

Two things discovered. First, one can really "milk" the flavor of their herbs for a while if desired by maxing out session temps in the lower ranges. And second, that you don't have to exhale visible vapor to get "vaked"...

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
There is definitely really good flavor to be had when vaping AND by contrast to combustion .... the longer I vape the more I feel like combustion tasted like ass....and not the good kind :)

Here's how I know there is amazing flavor in vaping....My first vape was the MFLB and the flavor of the first hit on a new trench was sooooooooooooooooo good that I had to start keeping track, on paper, of who got the first hit on each new trench because ....... the wife and I would debate who gets the first hit on a new trench based on who got the first hit on the last trench. Admittedly the first was great, the second hit good and the third and fourth ok and the rest..meh.

Since buying a Solo I don't have to keep track anymore because the first 2 hits provide great flavor. For me the flavor really drops off after about the fourth hit but OMG! that first hit on the MFLB or the first two to three on the Solo bring a huge smile to my face. The first hit...picture someone with their eyes closed, a huge smile and after the exhale the sound of 'yummmmmmmmmmmmmm'.

Top Bottom