1. Thanks to some very special members we were able to help those in need.
  2. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Flavor loss from freezing

Discussion in 'Concentrates' started by Bouldorado, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Bouldorado

Bouldorado Well-Known Member

This is purely anecdotal, but my oil seems to taste worse after it was in the freezer for ~1.5 weeks. The oil is well-made nug-run from a dispensary with excellent taste (at least the last non-frozen dab I took). However today I took a few dabs and the taste is definitely more bland than it was before. Not sure if this was caused by the freezer or simply being aged an extra week and a half.

:hmm:
    Denver912 likes this.
  2. Caligula

Caligula HTTP ERROR: 404 - NOT FOUND

Was it thawed before use?
    Denver912 and Quetzalcoatl like this.
  3. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl 200% THC

Any reason as to why you put it in the freezer? For long-term storage I suppose?

I've always just left my concentrates in the containers they come in (those clear little screw-top containers or syringes for CO2). If I want to store it long-term, I would probably just put it in a small mason jar and put that in a cool place where temps don't fluctuate too much.
    Denver912, smokum and Bouldorado like this.
  4. Bouldorado

Bouldorado Well-Known Member

1st dab was probably half-thawed. However subsequent dabs were definitely room temp and flavor was only marginally better.

I purchased the oil the day before I went on vacation. I've left oil out for a week+ before and flavor seemed to degrade, so my theory was the freezer would help preserve flavor. It's just hard to say if the freezer made it worse or not- anyways, I prob won't put oil in the freezer again.
    Denver912 likes this.
  5. GR

GR Well-Known Member

I store BHO in the deep freezer at -10f for long term storage and I find it comes out like the day it went in, delicious. However freezing does need some preparation to prevent any harm to material being frozen. I use glass jars filled then sealed in a vac bag and when removing from freezer I let it come to room temp before cutting into the vac bag to prevent any condensation getting to the oil. I have oils close to a year old and they are still fine but I wouldn't store for that long in a kitchen freezer only a deep freezer.

I keep plenty of grams of oil in slick stacks and they maintain well for over a month if I keep the lids on. They definitely age and some strains age more gracefully then others.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    smokum likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors