pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Does the glass stem stay securely in place when you shake the unit in between hits?

I've never shaken the stem loose but I don't shake it violently except for testing. When I did, I was trying to see if the stem or the swivel cap would fly off, but neither did. As Tweek says, you can easily remove it if you're worried, or you can just use a grip that holds it in place while you shake.

pakalolo,
Reactions: Ace.357

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Nice, Vito, although I miss your voice on those videos. I think you're hitting it with the power on, no?

Batteries: I just finished a battery life test of sorts. The protocol was nothing in the FV, power on for the first 5 seconds of every 30 until the battery died. I chose 5 seconds because that's the recommended power on time in the instructions. Result: 68 hits, or 340 seconds. Using my favourite technique of 5 seconds heating and then 3 seconds hitting with the power on, that's about 42 hits. That's pretty good as far as I'm concerned. Keep in mind that this was a completely artificial test, however.

Another thing I did was get a little infrared temperature reader and tracked the temperature of the FV as the test progressed. Result: the temperature rose gradually from ambient room temperature to a maximum of 43.1°C (109.6°F). I was trying to read the temperature at the warmest place I could find on the body, which I judged to be right next to the power button, where the heater is.

This is what I'd call comfortably warm. At no time did any part get so hot that it would cause me to pull away. I held the FV in my hand for the whole test and never felt an urge to put it down. Again, the usage pattern is artificial and it's unlikely anyone would have the power on 5 out of every 30 seconds. I'd say that it would be highly unusual to get it much hotter than it was at the end of this test.

Cleaning: I just cleaned mine again and as I was doing so I realized that I should mention how simple it is. The most troublesome part is the (currently) non-removable filter screen in the swivel cap. You'll have to brush this off after every bowl and eventually, you'll have to unscrew the top and brush from both sides. When this won't clear it then it's time for the ISO. That happens rarely, however. I've had to do it twice only so far.

Everything else is a piece of cake. ISO on a Q-tip cleans the ceramic beautifully, and the two bottom screens don't get clogged. If you feel the need, you can brush them with a little ISO and then do a couple of 10 second power bursts. The stem is glass and a quick ISO rinse takes care of it in a jiffy.

That's it. I'd say two minutes, three tops.

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
I don't think its going to be here before 2013 for me. Everyday I open my mailbox, no FV package :( I hope its just a long shipping journey

I'm also waiting for a professional contact less thermometer, i will post a bunch of data including how hot the FV gets in function of how much heat time

Another thing I did was get a little infrared temperature reader and tracked the temperature of the FV as the test progressed. Result: the temperature rose gradually from ambient room temperature to a maximum of 43.1°C (109.6°F). I was trying to read the temperature at the warmest place I could find on the body, which I judged to be right next to the power button, where the heater is
This is what I'd call comfortably warm. At no time did any part get so hot that it would cause me to pull away. I held the FV in my hand for the whole test and never felt an urge to put it down. Again, the usage pattern is artificial and it's unlikely anyone would have the power on 5 out of every 30 seconds. I'd say that it would be highly unusual to get it much hotter than it was at the end of this test.

Hehe you got the same idea, I just saw that

natural farmer

I don't think its going to be here before 2013 for me. Everyday I open my mailbox, no FV package :( I hope its just a long shipping journey

I'm also waiting for a professional contact less thermometer, i will post a bunch of data including how hot the FV gets in function of how much heat time
Same here... :p Not the thermometer... Haha

natural farmer,
Reactions: Vitolo

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

Hehe you got the same idea, I just saw that

All I used was a cheap pocket reader. I think the sensor spot is probably huge. Whatever you get will probably provide much better data than I can collect.

pakalolo,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Nice, Vito, although I miss your voice on those videos. I think you're hitting it with the power on, no?...
Thanks, "pak". I gave up voice for reasons of public recognition... and I at times miss narrating my feelings, but.. I try to express the mood as best I can silently.
I hit the unit with power on for only a second, and am then releasing button. Due to my grasp, and comfort, finger remains in place.;)

Vitolo,
Reactions: ehakim

Stone__Man

@vitolo, I think you should wear these as well, very under cover :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groucho_glasses

awwww the golden age of films :)

that would be real hoot imho

===

on topic, about the "power on for only a second" so in a second you got the hits in the video? as in 1 sec button press, release and draw? -rinse and repeat?

Stone__Man,

Tweek

Thanks for the the video, Vito...awesome as always!

I was bored last night, so I got to experimenting...I cut my volcano liquid pad down to size and stuffed it into the bowl to try out some oils. Failed miserably. The pad was just too thick and didn't really conduct the heat well enough for decent vapor.

Tweek,
Reactions: Roger D

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
on topic, about the "power on for only a second" so in a second you got the hits in the video? as in 1 sec button press, release and draw? -rinse and repeat?

I understood him to mean that he heats the FV up as usual (4-5 seconds) then hits it for a second with the power on. The instructions say to release after heating and wait a second to avoid harsh vapour. Vito is doing a shorter version of my normal FV hit. I start hitting at 5 seconds and keep the power on for another 3 seconds. I've adjusted my pull so that it won't reach combustion at 8 seconds, but might at 9.

The FV has an almost unrestricted pull. If you draw too hard, you'll pick up some of the load and quickly clog the filter screen (not to mention you'll get weaker or even no vapour production). When you start learning your FV, it's a good idea to pop the swivel cap off after every hit and look to see if the screen is getting clogged. If it is, you're pulling too hard. I tend to use micro-hits or a gentle steady inhale that's not much more than regular breathing.

I was bored last night, so I got to experimenting...I cut my volcano liquid pad down to size and stuffed it into the bowl to try out some oils. Failed miserably. The pad was just too thick and didn't really conduct the heat well enough for decent vapor.

I'll ask the obvious. Did you remove the screen?

Tweek

I'll ask the obvious. Did you remove the screen?

Yeah, took out the screen beforehand...it seems that the liquid pad is just too thick and wicks away too much of the heat. I could taste a little bit of the oil via some convection that was happening, but I had to hold the button down way too long for that.

Tweek,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Yeah, took out the screen beforehand...it seems that the liquid pad is just too thick and wicks away too much of the heat. I could taste a little bit of the oil via some convection that was happening, but I had to hold the button down way too long for that.

I knew you would have. I don't know why I asked that really, it must be the Rockstar I'm using for today's testing. :science:

The Volcano liquid pad is basically a stainless steel wool pad, isn't it? Do you think a ceramic tray would work? I'll bet FlashVAPE has already figured out the best approach for liquids because there's no doubt the FV is powerful enough to do them.

Tweek

No problem...this thing is so much fun to use, I am turning into a vegetable :smug:

The pad is indeed a tightly wound steel wool pad; never was very fond of it, even in the volcano. I think I recall FV hinting at some sort of development for oil, earlier on in the thread. Perhaps he will chime in on that one :D I think some type of ceramic tray would be ideal, for sure, as long as it is not too porous.

Tweek,

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
I never had something satisfying from that pad :D Many experiments, many disappointments. I recognized myself in your story

Roger D,

OF

I never had something satisfying from that pad :D Many experiments, many disappointments. I recognized myself in your story

I'm actually a big fan of the pad. I think most guy's issues with it are not understanding the fairly narrow area of techniques it will work in and the nature of the beast itself.

First off, it's a tube made of a single strand woven together like a chain mail condom with an open end. You can tease the biscuit apart and unravel it as a 'fat shoelace' of sorts. You can then cut what you want from the end with sharp scissors and break as few strands as possible.

Even though it's pretty thin (.003 inches) and stainless steel (lower thermal mass, slower transfer of heat) it's still a bunch of heat needed, it's only going to work in convection vapes, and probably take higher heat than you'd expect.

The mesh does a couple of things, it can hold a drop or two of oil in my HA like nobody's business. The piece I stuffed in is fairly tightly packed (it's one round wire, it can't really pack perfectly tight) but maybe only 3/16 thick? By experiment I know how much to put in so it doesn't leak out (I made a thick pad, used it a fair bit then pulled it apart from the bottom to come to the final size). Works great, try it.

In my DV it also keeps bubble from falling though the large hole in the bottom of the oil can. The pad I use is much thinner, barely blocks light through the hole as the can is small and you can't have much restriction there or the air will bypass the cart (go around rather than through it) and turn it from a convection to conduction vape with the expected poor results.

It's not magic, but it is, IMO, just the sort of thing the German's would develop for the Volcano. Use it that way and the results are good.

OF

OF,

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
I forgot to precise that I never had access to good concentrates
And I only have experienced with the volcano, witch doesn't get that hot, not enough for concentrates imo. I will measure will how hot he gets with my upcoming tool

Roger D,

Stone__Man

thx pakalolo and vitolo for clearing that up for the class dunce :p it was not the most thoughtful assumption I've ever made to be sure lol DOH!

Stone__Man,

Vapzilla

Happy New Year to all!

I'll chime in now that I've been enjoying, just loving, my new FV.
First for those concerned about the shipping, I ordered mine on Dec. 21st and received it on Dec. 27th!
I thought that was super fast with the holiday schedules, fyi I'm in Ohio.
I had contacted them a few times before i placed my order. Their customer service and very quick responses were exceptional.
There have been plenty of great reviews from pakalolo, vivolo and tweek. Thanks again for those as they helped in my decision making.
There are so many great features with this vape I don't know where to start and will try not to repeat what's already been shared.
First it's really fun and easy to use. I, like some others, was concerned about combustion as it was mentioned here was possible. So far I've pushed it pretty hard, have come close, but have not combusted. The speed of this unit is amazing, 5-8 seconds to a good flavorful hit. I've also tried different hitting techniques to optimize my herb and/or get big clouds. Whichever your looking for can be accomplished with this unit.
The momentary on/off, easy to use push button, is a great feature as your material isn't cooking away when you're not hitting it. That's one of the reasons I sold my Pax, that and the stench it had due to always cooking.
The bowl size is plenty sufficient, I've used it a couple of times 1/4 filled and quite a few times 1/2 filled. It's easy to fill, empty and brush clean.
Battery life is good, I haven't drain one completely as I change it out after 2 bowls.
I went a little overboard on the batteries, 2 batteries and a single charger come with the package, and I purchased 2 extra batts and the double charger. Needless to say I won't be waiting on any sitting in the charger.
At this point I can't think of any cons to it, I'm really enjoying it!
Okay, I just thought of one, it's portable but not pocket-able. Not a pant pocket anyhow, but works out just fine in winter coat pocket.
So some food for thought Flashvape, how about a mini Flashvape. Just keep all the same concepts and you'll have another winner!

FlashVAPE

...fast and efficient ! http://flashvape.com
Manufacturer
I knew you would have. I don't know why I asked that really, it must be the Rockstar I'm using for today's testing. :science:

The Volcano liquid pad is basically a stainless steel wool pad, isn't it? Do you think a ceramic tray would work? I'll bet FlashVAPE has already figured out the best approach for liquids because there's no doubt the FV is powerful enough to do them.

The solution to liquid concentrates will be a FV ceramic adapter. it is already in the works, and FC members will be the first to know... we are always working on new innovation at the FV lab, including the FlashVAPE mini.... :)

natural farmer

Just had my first mini session with my freshly arrived FV! :D My head is in a pretty good state with a half full bowl and 5-6 wispy hits before both batteries died. The load is nowhere near spent and I will just have to wait for at least one bat to be fully charged for the next full session. For a short session with thin clouds I feel pretty baked though. It seems to give out a full spectrum of cannabinoids with each hit just like any serious vaporizer should IMHO... Next session will be with a finer grind as it should be in the first place and I expect much better results. Reminded me of the box while using it and brought back a smile... Taste-wise I need to work on my technic and loading to be able to judge better but it was on par with the box as far as I can say. With the slight overheating you feel the popcorns at the bottom of the pot! :p It will improve by the end of the day, I am confident...
I will be writing my review shortly but for the moment I am impressed with the built quality (Apple standards!) and the fact that I can break a lot of things with it! :horse: :lol: The packaging was also the best I have seen in a vaporizer so far (recycled and recyclable I think). Good work mate! Nicely done!!! Green and all, maybe you should go for less foam inside the box though... Try some shredded recycled cartons maybe or something similar. Go full green with this and it will be appreciated! ;)

Happy new year everyone! It's up to us! :peace:

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Just had my first mini session with my freshly arrived FV! :D My head is in a pretty good state with a half full bowl and 5-6 wispy hits before both batteries died. The load is nowhere near spent and I will just have to wait for at least one bat to be fully charged for the next full session. For a short session with thin clouds I feel pretty baked though. It seems to give out a full spectrum of cannabinoids with each hit just like any serious vaporizer should IMHO... Next session will be with a finer grind as it should be in the first place and I expect much better results. Reminded me of the box while using it and brought back a smile... Taste-wise I need to work on my technic and loading to be able to judge better but it was on par with the box as far as I can say. With the slight overheating you feel the popcorns at the bottom of the pot! :p It will improve by the end of the day, I am confident...
I will be writing my review shortly but for the moment I am impressed with the built quality (Apple standards!) and the fact that I can break a lot of things with it! :horse: :lol: The packaging was also the best I have seen in a vaporizer so far (recycled and recyclable I think). Good work mate! Nicely done!!! Green and all, maybe you should go for less foam inside the box though... Try some shredded recycled cartons maybe or something similar. Go full green with this and it will be appreciated! ;)

Happy new year everyone! It's up to us! :peace:

My batteries were almost flat when they arrived. If you are already impressed then wait til you have fully charged batteries. Warning: the FV heats up really fast, so if you detect a taste of overheating get your finger off the button right away, it might already be too late. If you have experience with the LB then you'll have your FV technique perfected in no time. It's not hard, you just need to learn to respect the power.

As for the build quality, I agree that it is superb. It just feels like a high quality device.

natural farmer

My nominee for Most Comfortable (for the throat) Direct Hitting Vape Ever: The FlashVAPE! And I am :ko:! Following instructions is recommended for the first session maybe...

Then...... It's Face Melting time with some micro hitting!!! :mmmm: Couldn't finish the half bowl... :ko:

Kudos FV! I am seeing myself conserving during daytime with my Hot Pod and it's pure awesomeness and taste, only to grab the Flashvape when the dark falls and depart for better places in my bed (or wherever I melt)... :p:D

Shad0w

Any U.S dealers yet? I don't want things getting stuck in customs. I really like everything I have read so far. This would be perfect to try some salvia! Approximately how many seconds on the button will give 250°C? :)

Shad0w,
Top Bottom