Flashlights

Tranquility

Are there any flashlight fans here? I have been fascinated with the ability to carry around light ever since I was a kid. Today's lights are so superior to what was available so long ago it amazes me they are still improving. How much more light can be produced from the palm of my hand?

The link to this website has to do with what the majority of quality flashlights today use as a power source. The humble 18650.

Interestingly, while many on the web recommend types and specs for batteries in the flashlight forums, rarely is there any attempt to explain the reason behind the recommendations. Here, on the other hand, reading some of the threads are a master-class on battery usage.

Making things hot (as needed in vapes) is a lot harder on the cells than making photons as a general rule. Also, flashlights can have many different energy requirements--depending on the use and priorities--than vapes. You can generally find a "best" battery for any vape while a flashlight can have many "best"s. (Best for being ready when called upon after sitting in a drawer. Best for putting out the most beam. Best for being used all night. etc.) From my reading here, I can now choose the proper battery for the function/use I desire.

When I walk the dogs in the early, early morning, I used to carry a tactical light that lit up the night like the Eye of Sauron. I could shine it in your face at 100 yards and you'd still flinch and turn away. But, because of coyotes, my wife got me a light with alternative functions for my birthday.
mjmonl1350965633874.jpg

Now I feel like George Kennedy's "Bumper" as my two pitties and I own the night. I just need to practice a bit.

Top Bottom