First vaporizer: I've read too much here, please help me choose :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tagtag

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while and my first post is likely the typical: which one should I buy? I've used a vaporizer a few times - primarily a friend's Volcano. It has been lovely, so I decided I should have one of my own. There are just so many options out there...

I've read far too much here and believe I have narrowed my choices down sufficiently to:
  • Arizer Solo
  • Herbalaire 2.2
  • Vapolution 2.0
My priorities:
  • Clean flavor
  • Easy to operate/use (for newbies)
  • Easy to clean and care for
  • Semi-portable - easy to take to a friend's place or stow away, however I do not really need a true "portable" like Solo or Pax
  • Meant for 2-4 people, possible to use with more
  • Flexibility - will use whip or direct draw at first - no water pipe available right now, but flexibility is good
  • Budget - Actually this is flexible, but haven't seen a need to go above $200 with the three above looking so strong. Saving money is always good

One thing I have not seen discussed much is odor. I will probably store this out of sight and don't want my apartment to start reeking of weed.

Can you help me choose between these? Or at least give me a slam dunk reason to go in another direction as I'm sure someone will suggest :)

Thanks for your help all!

tagtag,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
the herbalaire is the only one that seems to hit all your points, and it is the only one of the three I don't have. I vote for the VAP2 for every household!

stickstones,

clouded vision

Of those 3 I would choose the solo. I haven't tried the VAP but I would worry about bringing it out and about with the glass inside it. The HA didn't have the best flavor, I had mine for 2 weeks before I sold it. The solo is a great little unit that produces big clouds with ease. Also you can get gong stems so you can easily hook it up to a water pipe. The only problem is the bowl is small for even 2 people, but it cools quickly allowing you to repack within a few minutes.
Another option might be either a LSV ( my preference) or DBV. I look at my LSV like a solo on steroids. There is a very small learning curve but everyone I show how gets it within the first bowl. The bowl is bigger than the solo abd you can make it even bigger with the fatty wand, and it works great with the WPA. All the 7th floor products come with a padded dime bag so you can easily bring it out with you.

hoptimum

I think the Solo is an ideal vaporizer for first timers. I've introduced it to new vaporists and they got it right away. And even though the bowl is a little small, the Solo is easy to pass around. When you're ready, it mates with a bong quite well.

hoptimum,

PAZ

If it's meant with 2-4 people, I wouldn't go with the Solo. It sounds like you want to use it more in a group/party setting. My advice would get a desktop vape, and then in the future get a portable.

PAZ,

tagtag

Tough decisions. Each one has something going for it, and all seem like they're under $200. One thing I want to avoid is starting out here as a collector :)

tagtag,

natural farmer

I haven't tried the last two vapes on your short list but I would guide you towards a log vape myself... Much better experience than the Solo. They can be used with whips, bags (search for "vapor lung"), direct hitting them through so many stem combinations... Very flexible devices, maintenance free, you can even service some of them yourself if you need to. Go for an e-nano or WW or an Underdog or a Hi if you don't mind long waiting lists. People have put aside their Clouds for their logs if I am not mistaken. That says a lot. :tup:

natural farmer,

NotPotRelated

MFLB Pro
Solo cant get 4 people high. The LSV is clearly the best choice. Its easy to carry and not to big and bulky. I believe there is one in the classifieds too.

Jeremy Driscoll

I am deciding to. I have never owned a vaporizer for bud and I am probably should really be the last person to give you advice that is based on experience. But what I can tell you, is I have been researching like no end. And I even researched all that are on your list, and out of only what is on the list you mentioned. I recommend the Herbal one. However if you don't go with that choice. Then I recommend Solo.

Jeremy Driscoll,

Lokbok

I can vouch for the Solo. Its a pretty damned good portable with clean taste and easy to pass amongst friends.

Having said that.. I recently went back to MFLB. I know it gets hosed on for being "cheap" or just good for a first vape.. but personally I get better results with the MFLB than I ever did with the Solo or other portables (including Pax). Maybe I just got the draw technique perfected, which ironically isn't great for beginners despite it be touted as just a starter (probably has more to do with price and warranty).

Essentially it works for me cause the mentioned efficiency.. but also because I prefer a vape that heats on demand rather than having a few minute warm up time. I also don't want my vape to stay on when I'm not actively taking a hit. Saves material for sure.

Lokbok,

hoptimum

I can vouch for the Solo. Its a pretty damned good portable with clean taste and easy to pass amongst friends.

Having said that.. I recently went back to MFLB. I know it gets hosed on for being "cheap" or just good for a first vape.. but personally I get better results with the MFLB than I ever did with the Solo or other portables (including Pax). Maybe I just got the draw technique perfected, which ironically isn't great for beginners despite it be touted as just a starter (probably has more to do with price and warranty).

Essentially it works for me cause the mentioned efficiency.. but also because I prefer a vape that heats on demand rather than having a few minute warm up time. I also don't want my vape to stay on when I'm not actively taking a hit. Saves material for sure.

MFLB will always have a place for me as a quick, reliable, discreet efficient one hitter.

hoptimum,
Reactions: Seek

vorrange

Vapor.wise
The Solo is the best all-around vape in the market in terms of price/quality.

To use with up to 4 friends though, a bigger hitter would be preferable and the Herbalaire is a very good choice for a first unit since it's virtually unbreakable and does has all hitting methods in one unit but the Vapolution is incredibly flexible as well with its 12VDC power and all glass air path and small size.

If you're hitting it mainly at home, and mainly by yourself i would get a home unit and a flame powered portable like a Vaporgenie or a Vaponic.

If you want to use it mainly on the go, friends house and such... then the Solo+PA is your best choice.

Right now, my HI due to it's 5min heat up time is my main driver when i'm out of the house and when i want to vape outside i use my Vaponic. It's the most pratical and small setup i have since i started vaping.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Having said that.. I recently went back to MFLB.
My first vape was a MFLB.
I's a one hit wonder for sure.
For a longer session I prefere the SOLO.
Flavor = VAPOLUTION (Very inexpensive plug in)

If you get a MFLB you will need batteries:
I have very good medicine and I'm a FLAVOR CHASER so my MFLB was a good first starter vaporizer and it wasn't my last. I have one and it's OK for one or two quick hits. The flavor sucks for sessions of any length for my liking. (I use it rarely)
For a first vaporizer that doesn't need to be portable I would say the VAPOLUTION for the price and effect.
The SOLO for FLOWERS is the all around best vaporizer for the money in the PORTABLE arena!
We are discussing a first vaporizer and I think you have narrowed it down pretty well.

These will get you started.
I have my eyes on log & a wand style vaporizers for my quiver that I want.

It's a matter of NEEDS verses WANTS!

ataxian,

Lokbok

I'm waiting for MFLB to release their updated power adapter. When I vape, its usually just between me and my girlfriend.. so the MFLB does this perfectly.

My friend who cannot for the life of him get the draw technique correctly for the MFLB gets better results using the Solo.

Lokbok,

z9

Solo cant get 4 people high. The LSV is clearly the best choice. Its easy to carry and not to big and bulky. I believe there is one in the classifieds too.

I think this is the most realistic response. The LSV can be had for as cheap as $153 shipped and meets all the Tagtag's requirements. It has a large bowl for multiple people, excellent taste, easy to transport, easy to clean and operate, works great with water or direct draw, can be used as a flameless lighter, and last but certainly not least this thing rips. it delivers massive lung busting hits of vapor that even the most unexperienced vaporist wont have a hard time getting. Smokers will have a blast with the unit because it easily delivers satisfying hits.

Others may disagree but I think it would make a better first vaporizer for you than the others you listed. Ease of use is an important fact to consider when sharing with friends.

z9,
Reactions: Vaponly

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I think this is the most realistic response. The LSV can be had for as cheap as $153 shipped and meets all the Tagtag's requirements. It has a large bowl for multiple people, excellent taste, easy to transport, easy to clean and operate, works great with water or direct draw, can be used as a flameless lighter, and last but certainly not least this thing rips. it delivers massive lung busting hits of vapor that even the most inexperienced vaporist wont have a hard time getting. Smokers will have a blast with the unit because it easily delivers satisfying hits.

Others may disagree but I think it would make a better first vaporizer for you than the others you listed. Ease of use is an important fact to consider when sharing with friends.
I agree with your assessment based on his needs the LSV will be a good first vaporizer.
$151.00 is the cheapest price I have hear of for a WAND style vaporizer.
These work with Bubblers and water pipes really well.

I'm thinking about the VRIP for myself because of the FLAVOR profile being so important to me.
However it's a bit more $$$.

Do you mine posting the link for the $151 price?

ataxian,

z9

There are very reputable members here that believe the flavor of the LSV closely matches that of the VXH Cloud. I haven't tried the cloud so I can't comment on this, but it is a great all around vape.

Here's the link. I posted it in the LSV thread a while back, other members have ordered from here before. I was skeptical at first.
http://www.wickiepipe.com/Life_Saber_Vaporizer_p/lsv.htm

Edit: its backordered right now

z9,
Reactions: ataxian

DeltaNine

I think this is the most realistic response. The LSV can be had for as cheap as $153 shipped and meets all the Tagtag's requirements. It has a large bowl for multiple people, excellent taste, easy to transport, easy to clean and operate, works great with water or direct draw, can be used as a flameless lighter, and last but certainly not least this thing rips. it delivers massive lung busting hits of vapor that even the most unexperienced vaporist wont have a hard time getting. Smokers will have a blast with the unit because it easily delivers satisfying hits.

Third this. I just bought an LSV and I was looking for several of the same things in a vape as yourself. I got the SSV as my first, LSV is essentially the same but more portable, and its pretty much all glass air path (aside from ceramic heater and metal screen for herbs). It is a powerful vape at a low cost, and as mentioned great for multi-person sessions. Pick up a water pipe adapter (WPA) eventually, and you have a vape that can be used with a water pipe as well.

If you don't want the LSV, and insist on one of the 3 listed, I would say that you should consider what the units primary use is. If its 95% of the time just you, get a solo. It might not be enough for 4 people, but that's why you simply pack another bowl.
If its going to be used more often with others (like in my case) you might prefer a desktop setup. I ended up getting multiple whips for my SSV so everyone can use their own wand/whip/mouthpiece and just take a hit when they want. Looks like the Herbalaire meets your criteria best.

Whatever you get, you will enjoy it. Just make sure you go with something that is respected on this website, because you won't find more honest feedback.

clouded vision

atax I know how you like your flavor and the LSV is amazing, even better than the solo. Watch eBay for them, I picked mine up new for $95 shipped, I have been watching abd the same seller keeps putting one up occasionally abd so far they have all gone for around 100. it isn't always there and it is an auction but when it is (and before everyone on here knows about it) it is an amazing price. I forget the seller but cab check later, I remember it came from York PA.

edit: eBay seller was tronesupply

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
atax I know how you like your flavor and the LSV is amazing, even better than the solo. Watch eBay for them, I picked mine up new for $95 shipped, I have been watching abd the same seller keeps putting one up occasionally abd so far they have all gone for around 100. it isn't always there and it is an auction but when it is (and before everyone on here knows about it) it is an amazing price. I forget the seller but cab check later, I remember it came from York PA.

LSV or VRIP?

ataxian,

hoptimum

I found that seller on ebay but no LSVs

hoptimum,
Reactions: ataxian
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom