First Vape: Cera LL, Solo, or INH XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAZ

I saw there was a similar thread asking about these vapes, but I never got the answers I was looking for. I've done a decent amount of research, and it seems that Cera LL is going to be the 'next generation portable' in a sense, and doesn't need any attachments for it to work well. While I realize two of these aren't available to the public, I was hoping for some input from reviewers, or knowledgable posters.

The main features i'm looking for are:
  • Ease of use/Learning Curve
  • Able to use it in a small group (3-5 people)
  • Minimal attachments (Not looking to have a bunch of vapeing paraphernalia yet)
Right now i'm leaning towards the Cera just with all the buzz. The Solo seems like a solid portable at a reasonable price, but I just don't like the idea of having a bunch of attachments. That being said, if an attachment or two makes it easier to use in a group setting i'm all for it. The INH XP seems pretty good as well, but it seems like it's playing second fiddle to the Cera. I'm looking to use the vaporizer mainly in social situations at parties or hanging out with friends. None of them use vapes, so I don't want something where it will be hard for first timers to get use to.
Any advice is appreciated, sorry about the tedious first post!

PAZ,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Seeing as 2 of the 3 aren't yet available, I'd say the Solo. I guess it's the only answer I'm qualified to give as I've not tried the others. You can roll the dice and come up a winner if you so choose. But it's your choice.

:peace:

Stu,

fake name

I'd recommend The solo for those particular parameters. From my experience, the solo is great for small groups, has a very low learning curve, has great battery life and amazing vapor production. I know you addressed the concern of carrying 'a bunch' of extra parts, and id just like to point out there are only 2 necessary parts, the main unit and one small glass whip. It does come with an extra whip and potpourri dish, but at any given time you only need the two parts.

fake name,

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
Unless you plan on using bubble or some other lower grade pressed hash in the cera i dont think it will work well for group settings. It only holds .2 from what they r saying and has a fairly long draw to get decent sized clouds if you plan on regularly using this vape with more then 2 people i would cross the cera off your list. Having never used either of the others i cant comment on them but i dont think a whole lot of portables for botanicals will handle 5 people very easily. You may want to look at the pax which i havent used either but the convection design gives it larger clouds easier and may be more conducive to group vaping.

green2brown

With those requirements, I say Solo or Pax. The Cera seems to be more of a personal medicinal vaporizer and I don't think pure convection vaporizers are best for unexperienced vaporists because you have to create the vapor yourself with your draw speed and technique. The Solo is incredibly simple to use, just pack a bowl and start hitting. The restriction can be a turnoff though, and I've found my less experienced friends get really bothered by that. The Pax seems like your best bet. The oven is BIG and for that reason alone is probably the best for group sessions. It's also all conduction, so the vapor is made for you rather than by you. While I personally am not a fan of conduction vapes (I get a headache similar to when I combust), my friends love the Pax simply due to it's ease of use. Yes it can be finicky and yes it requires a lot of cleaning, but if your goal is to pack a bowl and pass it around 4 or 5 friends at a party who aren't used to portable vaporizers, the Pax is an easy one for people to just pick up and use.

And what you should keep in mind when reading all these threads, some vaporizers are made more for MMJ patients than for recreational users (like the Cera - pure convection, highest quality materials used, small bowl size, manual temp control for precise medicating doses) while others are more for casual vaporists (like the Pax - charge, pack, and go).

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
The INH XP seems pretty good as well, but it seems like it's playing second fiddle to the Cera.

What makes you say this? The Cera hasn't even been released and all the video's are showing is people using e-juice. Sure; the community is buzzing about it, but that is partially because of the big presence that TCT has had here over the last few years. At this point there is no evidence or even opinion available to draw such comparisons.

However, what I can tell you for sure, is that the Inhalater is more than just pretty good. I've got the v1, so to speak and even with that outdated model it blows the solo, and in my opinion, the Pax, right out of the water. At the lower temperatures, the vapor coming out of it tastes as good as what comes out of my Cloud and at the higher temperatures, the clouds can become so huge each one is like taking a dab. Plus, the micro-USB charger is an absolutely killer feature because you can charge it anywhere.

I can only imagine how much better the new models are.

PAZ

What makes you say this? The Cera hasn't even been released and all the video's are showing is people using e-juice. Sure; the community is buzzing about it, but that is partially because of the big presence that TCT has had here over the last few years. At this point there is no evidence or even opinion available to draw such comparisons.

However, what I can tell you for sure, is that the Inhalater is more than just pretty good. I've got the v1, so to speak and even with that outdated model it blows the solo, and in my opinion, the Pax, right out of the water. At the lower temperatures, the vapor coming out of it tastes as good as what comes out of my Cloud and at the higher temperatures, the clouds can become so huge each one is like taking a dab. Plus, the micro-USB charger is an absolutely killer feature because you can charge it anywhere.

I can only imagine how much better the new models are.

Now that I take a second look, you're spot on about the Cera. I think i'm going to cross it off after what most people have been saying. Since you've used them all, would you say the Inhalater (basing it off your version) would be viable in a group setting? All my friends don't need much. To put it in perspective, one joint is enough for 4-5 of us passing it around.

With those requirements, I say Solo or Pax. The Cera seems to be more of a personal medicinal vaporizer and I don't think pure convection vaporizers are best for unexperienced vaporists because you have to create the vapor yourself with your draw speed and technique. The Solo is incredibly simple to use, just pack a bowl and start hitting. The restriction can be a turnoff though, and I've found my less experienced friends get really bothered by that. The Pax seems like your best bet. The oven is BIG and for that reason alone is probably the best for group sessions. It's also all conduction, so the vapor is made for you rather than by you. While I personally am not a fan of conduction vapes (I get a headache similar to when I combust), my friends love the Pax simply due to it's ease of use. Yes it can be finicky and yes it requires a lot of cleaning, but if your goal is to pack a bowl and pass it around 4 or 5 friends at a party who aren't used to portable vaporizers, the Pax is an easy one for people to just pick up and use.

And what you should keep in mind when reading all these threads, some vaporizers are made more for MMJ patients than for recreational users (like the Cera - pure convection, highest quality materials used, small bowl size, manual temp control for precise medicating doses) while others are more for casual vaporists (like the Pax - charge, pack, and go).
Thanks for the in depth response! As mentioned above, a joint is usually enough for 4-5 of us. So with that in mind, would I need that big of an oven? As much as I love the PAX design, how many times can you use it before you have to clean it? I'm not a huge fan of having to clean it after every session or two but it's starting to seem more ideal.
As for the Solo, would it be easier in a group setting with a whip? I remember seeing a user post he got the Solo + a 18mm whip for $161 total. I guess I was overstating my issues about the extra pieces, I don't mind it that much.

PAZ,

Tweek

My personal recommendation would be to start with the most cost effective quality vape you can find. No sense breaking the bank right out of the gate.

For groups, I would say Solo is an excellent choice for $160. Can't comment on the INH as I have never used it, but for a bit more money, it looks pretty solid as well.

If you want fat rips, Cera loose leaf probably won't cut it IMO. You can see this in the video, and from my past T1 experience, the results look similar. Gets you medicated just fine, but to get fat clouds to share with friends, it just doesn't cut it. Oil cart is another matter of course.

green2brown

I can't comment on the INH because I've never used it. The only way I've used the Solo is with the included stem. One thing you should be aware of with the Solo: your herb will cook if you leave the stem on in between hits. This won't really matter if you're passing it around some friends, but if anyone decides to hold onto it for a minute or two without hitting, you'll see a lot of the bowl just vape away. For $160 I doubt there's any portable that can compete with the vapor production of the Solo.

As far as the Pax goes, it's tough for me to judge really. I understand you and your friends can split a single joint. To give you an idea, when I combusted I'd smoke a joint to myself. With the Pax, I need a full oven. So a full oven might be perfect for you and your friends to split. The solo I would guess you'd need more than one load for 4 or 5 people. I know when I've used it with a couple of my friends it seems like we load a good number of bowls.

Ultimately, I think you'll be satisfied with either. My guess, though, your friends may prefer the Pax. It's just more visually appealing, a bit less intimidating due to the familiar Apple-like style and lack of glass, and for your group as a whole, you'd probably only need to pack a single oven.

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Since you've used them all, would you say the Inhalater (basing it off your version) would be viable in a group setting? All my friends don't need much. To put it in perspective, one joint is enough for 4-5 of us passing it around.

Oh yeah! In fact, that's probably where it shines the most. As long as you let the heater get back to full heat before hitting it (5 seconds max) you will get constant big clouds to please everyone. If one joint gets you guys to where you want to be... well your probably going to want to half fill the chamber the first time you give it a go.

As much as I love the PAX design, how many times can you use it before you have to clean it? I'm not a huge fan of having to clean it after every session or two but it's starting to seem more ideal.

You could probably stretch it to 5 - 6 sessions before giving it a clean. But each session would be less pleasant, and you will probably have to pull the mouthpiece out manually after a while. Cleaning every few sessions ensures that buildup is minimal and your not left with a monster cleaning job to take care of because mine got dirty real fast.

As for the Solo, would it be easier in a group setting with a whip? I remember seeing a user post he got the Solo + a 18mm whip for $161 total. I guess I was overstating my issues about the extra pieces, I don't mind it that much.

Well, this is a bit of an interesting question. I've tried the whip adapter in groups before and while it certainly was not a bad experience by any means, it was far from ideal. The very small load size of the solo makes for a very quick transition in the state of the herb (if that makes any sense... couldn't really think of a better way to put it). So if you put a new bowl in, one guy gets the tasty bowl, one gets the big cloud and the one after just gets wisps. What we end up doing is having each person vape their own bowl before the next guy packs theirs. It doesn't take long to pooch a bowl in the Solo with a whip, maybe three full hits before it's done.

weedemon

enthusiast
the solo is a damn solid vape, i'd get that one today, and then once the reviews are in see about seeing your solo to your friends (who will be jealous and want it also most likely) then if you really wanna try out a new one make the plunge.

weedemon,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Just to clear some misconceptions, the PAX is conduction, not convection. And convection allows you a better extraction of the material without prematurely browning the herb. It is also better at cloud formation than conduction.

Regarding the question in the OP, i will go with the INH. It holds more material than the others, except the PAX. Has 9 preset temperatures, which is always a plus. Mostly convection process of extraction. Small and easily put away.

I don't think the Solo would work as well for groups but i don't agree with Centizen when he says " So if you put a new bowl in, one guy gets the tasty bowl, one gets the big cloud and the one after just gets wisps." because it gives the wrong impression. I understand what you meant, but it is an over reaction and it leads to misconceptions.

The Solo puts out some very impressive clouds, but its small bowl put a hamper on the volume of them, as well as how much taste you get, obviously.

The Cera looks great, but i does not look like your ideal vaporizer as others have said and i agree. Too little battery life and a smaller bowl than PAX and INH.

The PAX is easily the stealthiest of them all but the conduction design is not the best to ensure durable taste. It will fade quick as it is the case in every mainly conduction vaporizer since it is always heating the herb unlike convection designs.

N.B.: I am speaking of the Original INH, not the XP as it is not out yet. They should be pretty similar in most features though, especially the variables i spoke of.

vorrange,
Reactions: PAZ

natural farmer

• Ease of use/Learning Curve
  • Able to use it in a small group (3-5 people)
  • Minimal attachments (Not looking to have a bunch of vapeing paraphernalia yet)

Hmmm, lets see... Ease of use/learning curve: Solo and INH are dead simple for sure, Cera not so much if it bears any resemblance to the TV1, which it does.
Ability to use it in a small group (3-5 people): INH is the clear winner here as it takes the biggest load and can easily destroy 5 low tolerance people with one load, max two!
Minimal attachments? : Get the INH, a Santa Cruz shredder and a nice biggish bubbler and most of your vaping needs will be nicely fulfilled.... Simplicity at its finest! Cera is simpler but cannot really cover your other requirements... Solo needs a good PV or ED stem to be complete.
Have tested all for a long time through many possible scenarios (their current iterations that is, :p) and the INH is the choice for me. Preferably the XP in a few days...

JCat

Accessory Maker
I gotta' agree with NF on this one ... he's pretty much covered my thoughts on this ... the Solo has it's advantages, but more so for personal (ie. "solo") use. (ie. I think my Solo does a better job connected to a bubbler, hydratube, etc. then the INH does, but I much prefer the INH to the Solo on it's own ... I'm using a TV Smooth-Flow with it as well which completes the package nicely ... and super easy for people to use, to maintain/clean, to load, etc.)

PAZ

Thanks guys! It's ridiculous how friendly and helpful everyone is on this forum compared to others. I'm going to wait and order the XP and the SCS, once I get those in i'll see how it hits and then decide if I want a bubbler or a small water attachment.

One last question, how noticable difference is the vapor through the TV Smooth-flow compared to a small bubbler?

JCat

Accessory Maker
I would go with a bubbler over the smooth flow. I found the smooth flow only added minimal moisture and you have to constantly moisten it which I found to be a pain.
The smooth flow though is good as a replacement from just using the stock 2.25" tube/extension ... it provides superior cooling without being too big and adds some moisture while on the go. Agreed that for home use more significant filtration/cooling is preferred.

Edit: However, don't often use a portable at home unless I just want to puff on something (ex-smoker ... old habits die hard) ... and even when doing that, I prefer the experience of the portable without too much filtration for the "smoking type" experience ... so the smooth-flow offers a good compromise as it provides enough cooling/moisture to eliminate any irritation I would get from the vapor being too hot in my mouth/throat.

PAZ

Ok I lied about that one last question part. I realized i'm going to have to order a bubbler online since theres no head shops in my area. Looking for one thats under $50, around 30-40 cm max size, wouldn't mind smaller though. I was looking on grasscity but theres just a ridiculous amount to choose from. I guess in the end a bubbler that size is more or less the same, but if anyone know of some decent quality ones for that price it would be appreciated!

Edit: This one caught my eye, the case is nice as well if I want to bring it around. http://www.grasscity.com/int_en/smoking-pipes/bongs-waterpipes/dude-double-bubble-glass-mini-bong-set-in-aluminum-case.html#.UMLJjIP7IlE

Edit 2: Nevermind, shipping is ridiculous ($25 to Canada). Back to the drawing board

PAZ,

natural farmer

Just get that 40$ infamous bubbler Vapor Brothers knock off from Pipe's Daddy and you'll be ok for the time... Need a link to that?

natural farmer,
Reactions: PAZ

natural farmer

how much was the shipping to greece? :) these look okay to me, how do you find it with the Solo?

It was something like 5-7€ if I remember well and it works great both with the Solo and the INH. You can get smaller or lung busting hits but for sure a bigger bubbler with more diffusion would prove a bit smoother. My Saxo is on its way too. Waiting to see the actual difference between whole sessions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom