First time.... (almost)

Canuck420

Alright folks, barring anything coming up, tonight's the night.... Still a little nervous if I'm honest - don't want to overdo it out of the gate which I know is easy to do with vaping. My goal is to find a minimum effective dose - starting with one toke and go from there.

Don't want to be this guy - http://blogs.channel4.com/snowblog/stoned-skunk/2513 - two whole volcano bags with zero tolerance, Spoiler: It didn't end well, what a surprise!

kellya86

Herb gardener...
I remember watching that. Absolute bastards. They did it on purpose to get a negative response so as to demonise cannabis. I vape every day and 2 full bags and an mri scanner may even freak me out.

Surely for a newb, bags are a no go.
Or at least wastefull, a whole bag would be too much for someone with no tolerance. And would go stale in the bag if you tried to save what was left.

The eq or any whip vape would be good for a newb as you could have one draw from the whip. And leave it, and go from there.

Canuck420

OK guys - so this is how it went down.... I ground and packed about 0.1g, maybe less - hard to say, into the FM, let it heat up to the lowest temp. I hit it with one drag, very conservatively..... Waited 10 mins, nothing much going on, maybe a slight feeling. Heated the FM up again on lowest temp, hit it again, couple of times this time. Waited another 10 mins, slight heavy feeling going on now, but felt like I needed to go further, so heated the FM up again, on medium this time, hit it again a couple of times - actually saw some vapor this time, which felt more productive - on the low setting I wasn't even entirely sure I saw getting vapor. Again waited 10 mins, this is when I started to feel really relaxed, a very heavy feeling, some tingling in my legs. Decided I wanted to go even further and again set the FM to medium and hit it again a couple of times. This really got me medicated this time - very very relaxed and heavy feeling - must have been high at this point but kept thinking to myself "Am I really high?".... (Is that normal?)

I tried to watch a movie at first, but couldn't concentrate on it so switched to music videos - these looked incredible, so sharp and vivid, the music sounded amazing too, like there was a clarity I hadn't heard before. I found amazement in my iPad - just scrolling web pages seemed amazing to me - how a piece of glass in my hands was doing that, my finger on the glass felt electric. Started to feel sleepy after this, so retired to bed, lay there for a little while and drifted off - felt like I slept differently, I don't know if it was more restful, just different to normal.

Woke up this morning feeling great - normally if I'd been drunk to a similar level I would have woken up feeling pretty rough!

On the whole, a positive first experience. I was maybe expecting a bit more of a euphoric feeling but it certainly wasn't unpleasant in any way. I guess it will take some getting used to and it will be more enjoyable as it becomes more normal to me. Not sure I could do it every night at this point - but certainly will be doing it again soon to get some more practice :D

Thanks for all the advice and tips - really helped and make this a positive experience for me! :tup:

MinnBobber

This really got me medicated this time - very very relaxed and heavy feeling - must have been high at this point but kept thinking to myself "Am I really high?".... (Is that normal?)

"Am I really high?" is pretty normal. After you do some more sessions, it will be,
"I am really high!"

Or another common one is: "I don't think I'm high, am I?" Got a travelling buddy high for his first time at an Amsterdam Coffeeshop. He said this followed by uncontrollable laughter.....

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
@Canuck420 - Sounds like a perfect 'welcome back' to me. Now that you've gotten the initial worries out of the way .... settle in and enjoy! Play with the temps to dial it in a bit more. High temps for a total body and mind affect and lower temps for a more cerebral and less tiring affect.

Canuck420

So I hit it again last night - thinking I knew what I was doing and promptly got my ass handed to me. Started off the same as the first time - hit it a couple of times at low temp, nothing much going on, a little bit of a body buzz. Then I went straight to medium temps and hit it hard. 10 mins later I knew I'd gone too far - hard to describe but akin to when you're drinking and you get that sinking feeling when you know you've had too many drinks. Felt very very spaced out, like I was detached from my body but still there. I knew straight away I'd gone too far - I just kept remembering the comments in this thread to not panic and that it would pass in a couple of hours. I went to bed and lay there for what seemed like a lifetime - eventually I went to sleep and woke up a few hours later in the middle of the night and felt like I hadn't been sleep but had just lost a few hours.

I can't say this was enjoyable, it was beyond my comfort level. I guess you have to find out where your limit is and I certainly found it. There was no doubt or questioning this time whether I was high, I knew I was and knew it was past what I was comfortable with. Is this something you get used to or is there always a level that you don't really want to reach? Any tips on finding that personal level of medication that's right for you?

TeeJay1952

Hit and then quit it for a bit.
Everyone is different. I think it depends on the number of THC receptors each person has. Just like some people are allergic to milk while others thrive.

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
You can control the type of high a little, by targeting certain temps, dependent on the settings your vape has.

Also remember to take a hit and then wait a while, as the effects can creep up on you.

If you keep sucking away thinking you aren't getting anything, you will find suddenly (as you found out), your ass is handed to you on a silver platter!

Canuck420

Hit and then quit it for a bit.
Everyone is different. I think it depends on the number of THC receptors each person has. Just like some people are allergic to milk while others thrive.

You can control the type of high a little, by targeting certain temps, dependent on the settings your vape has.

Also remember to take a hit and then wait a while, as the effects can creep up on you.

If you keep sucking away thinking you aren't getting anything, you will find suddenly (as you found out), your ass is handed to you on a silver platter!

Yeah - the delay can really catch you off guard - I thought I had a handle on it after the first time, but I was wrong. I knew 10 mins after the second set of hits that I'd overdone it, but by that point there's no going back.

At least with the flower there's no danger other than an uncomfortable couple of hours.... Had it been alcohol, I'd have been spending the whole day in bed today - but no real harm done other than knocking my confidence a little.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
At this stage you shouldn't need more than 3 hits at a mid-level temp depending on the strength of what your using. I've been at it a long while and rarely need more than 4 hits but everyone is different. The feeling you had this last time you got 'too' high is likely to become 'tolerable' as you gain a level of experience and build a tolerance.

It's a learning curve and you may have swung too far to the left the first time (not quite enough) and too far to the right (more than enough) the second time. It won't be long before you find how to get the pendulum to land in the middle.

Next time you feel like it's gone to far consider eating something to bring you down a tad.

Also as I've mentioned before....you can change your environment to change how you react to the buzz but you may have to prepare it first. Good music for example - calming if you need it, crazy upbeat when you want an energetic uplift.

I really envy you at this stage...it's kinda like being able to forget what chocolate tasted like the first time so you can experience the sheer joy of that first taste again.

EDIT: Another thing to keep in mind is that the first high of the day is probably a good 20% stronger than the second and third. So be careful with the first buzz of the day.

Canuck420

At this stage you shouldn't need more than 3 hits at a mid-level temp depending on the strength of what your using. I've been at it a long while and rarely need more than 4 hits but everyone is different. The feeling you had this last time you got 'too' high is likely to become 'tolerable' as you gain a level of experience and build a tolerance.

It's a learning curve and you may have swung too far to the left the first time (not quite enough) and too far to the right (more than enough) the second time. It won't be long before you find how to get the pendulum to land in the middle.

Next time you feel like it's gone to far consider eating something to bring you down a tad.

Also as I've mentioned before....you can change your environment to change how you react to the buzz but you may have to prepare it first. Good music for example - calming if you need it, crazy upbeat when you want an energetic uplift.

I really envy you at this stage...it's kinda like being able to forget what chocolate tasted like the first time so you can experience the sheer joy of that first taste again.

EDIT: Another thing to keep in mind is that the first high of the day is probably a good 20% stronger than the second and third. So be careful with the first buzz of the day.

The body effects I didn't mind too much - it was the cerebral effect I was struggling with - I was starting to get a little panicky and anxious and kept thinking "i've gone too far with this" - my mind was racing and thinking of all kinds of crazy stuff, like I couldn't keep control of it. I was still bodily functional, though didn't want to eat at all - just wanted to get to bed and for it to end.

It's going to be a learning curve for sure - like when you start out with alcohol, you often go to far and end up vomiting etc, but then you work out where the limit is, though it's still easy to cross over that line and I still often do.

It's crazy how little is needed at this point - I don't have any scales yet, but I'd estimate less than 0.01g, it barely looks like nothing packed into the FM.

friedrich

Little-Known Member
It's crazy how little is needed at this point - I don't have any scales yet, but I'd estimate less than 0.01g, it barely looks like nothing packed into the FM.
Yep, I vape a few times a day, most days, and 0.05g or so can still hit me pretty hard!

I haven't needed to try, but supposedly black pepper aroma or ibuprofen can help if you find you've gotten yourself a bit too high:
http://cannabisdigest.ca/black-pepper-relieves-cannabis-anxiety/
http://www.alternet.org/drugs/ibuprofen-can-kill-pot-buzz-research-reveals

Different strains are also definitely worth trying if you have access

Good luck and happy vaping! You'll get it dialed in soon enough :tup:

Canuck420

Yep, I vape a few times a day, most days, and 0.05g or so can still hit me pretty hard!

I haven't needed to try, but supposedly black pepper aroma or ibuprofen can help if you find you've gotten yourself a bit too high:
http://cannabisdigest.ca/black-pepper-relieves-cannabis-anxiety/
http://www.alternet.org/drugs/ibuprofen-can-kill-pot-buzz-research-reveals

Different strains are also definitely worth trying if you have access

Good luck and happy vaping! You'll get it dialed in soon enough :tup:

I probably meant 0.1 - 0.01 really would be nothing.... I'm visually going by the pics kindly posted earlier and it's about less than the covering of a cent's worth.

On this scale - http://beyondchronic.com/2010/06/oldhippies-levels-of-consciousness-scale/ I'd say I was around 7-8 - no euphoria (the anxiety probably stopped that), but I was getting closed eye and auditory hallucinations. I can't even comprehend what 10 and beyond is like - doesn't seem appealing at this point!

NorVape

Vape Rictim
Where I'm at citrusy strains are often sativa-ish.

After a while you'll be able to do a hit and still be functioning. It's important to get to know the effects. This takes away a lot anxiety. Imagine the difference of being in your hometown vs a foreign country. Things you know feel safer. Same goes for altered states of consciousness.

Also, if you ever feel anxiety and/or panic comming on, cannabis related or not, the number one most important thing is to control your breathing.

Slow, controlled and deep breaths.

It's easy to forget to breathe properly.

Canuck420

Where I'm at citrusy strains are often sativa-ish.

After a while you'll be able to do a hit and still be functioning. It's important to get to know the effects. This takes away a lot anxiety. Imagine the difference of being in your hometown vs a foreign country. Things you know feel safer. Same goes for altered states of consciousness.

Also, if you ever feel anxiety and/or panic comming on, cannabis related or not, the number one most important thing is to control your breathing.

Slow, controlled and deep breaths.

It's easy to forget to breathe properly.

Fortunately I'd remembered that posted earlier in this thread - so it never got to a panic. Best way I can describe it is an uneasiness with the feeling - like you say, could be just part of learning to go with the effects and probably didn't help diving in at the deep end second time out :lol:

MinnBobber

I probably meant 0.1 - 0.01 really would be nothing.... I'm visually going by the pics kindly posted earlier and it's about less than the covering of a cent's worth.

Hi,
I've never used a FM (Flower Mate I presume). I did find a VapeCritic review where he says:

"measured just under .2 of ground herb (chamber capacity not packed)"

So if you put nearly this much in, that might be the problem. Yes, there are heavy hitters here on FC and 0.2 might be nothing for them BUT
There are also many folks like me where 0.2 would be 8-10 sessions.... 0.01 to 0.015 as session.
Can you post a picture of your load with a reference item like a penny?

Next time take a one big hit and wait 15 - 20 minutes, then decide if you need/want more.
You can always take more later BUT cannot take away what you already vaped....

Canuck420

Hi,
I've never used a FM (Flower Mate I presume). I did find a VapeCritic review where he says:

"measured just under .2 of ground herb (chamber capacity not packed)"

So if you put nearly this much in, that might be the problem. Yes, there are heavy hitters here on FC and 0.2 might be nothing for them BUT
There are also many folks like me where 0.2 would be 8-10 sessions.... 0.01 to 0.015 as session.
Can you post a picture of your load with a reference item like a penny?

Next time take a one big hit and wait 15 - 20 minutes, then decide if you need/want more.
You can always take more later BUT cannot take away what you already vaped....

Very similar to the images on the previous page - actually not even that much, so may be more like 0.05g. I'm gonna get some scales soon so I know for sure. I took like 4 hits total, though pretty long ones and started to get the burnt popcorn taste, so I presumed it was spent at that point. Evidently it was too much though at this stage of my exploration!

MinnBobber

Very similar to the images on the previous page - actually not even that much, so may be more like 0.05g. I'm gonna get some scales soon so I know for sure. I took like 4 hits total, though pretty long ones and started to get the burnt popcorn taste, so I presumed it was spent at that point. Evidently it was too much though at this stage of my exploration!

OK, I looked at the picture and then put a penny next to my miniVAP basket and:

- For me, the amount next to the penny would likely be 6 separate sessions-maybe more??
I'd try backing it off substantially.
Most good vapes are really efficient so be careful--go small.

Between current bud "technology" ( how super strong the herb is) AND
how efficient vaping is:
be careful, it packs a punch.

Canuck420

OK, I looked at the picture and then put a penny next to my miniVAP basket and:

- For me, the amount next to the penny would likely be 6 separate sessions-maybe more??
I'd try backing it off substantially.
Most good vapes are really efficient so be careful--go small.

Between current bud "technology" ( how super strong the herb is) AND
how efficient vaping is:
be careful, it packs a punch.

Wow - that's super efficient..... I don't think the Flowermate is that efficient, but maybe I am using too much at this point.

The pics I posted represent 0.1gm. 1/10th of a gram. That's good for me to do 2 sessions of 3-4 ten second hits. I'll usually start the first session today at 385, and then tomorrow's at 400. I usually vape Sativa or Sativa dominant hybrids during the day to mid-evening, but after 1030pm I do Indica dominant strains so I can doze off to sleep an hour later.

P.S. I've weighed, ground, and vaped loads as little as 0.05gm with fine results in the FM mini.

Top Bottom