First time.... (almost)

Canuck420

Hey everyone - new here.... Just wanted to say hello and ask a few questions.

My story - like most teenagers (now in my late 30's), I smoked a little - probably a dozen times total, couple of times getting properly baked. After my circle of friends changed, I never really had the opportunity again and with the illegality of it, never sought it out either.

Struggled with some mild depression on and off through all my adult life - found that my coping mechanism is self medicating with alcohol, usually I limit myself to weekends, but I have to over indulge to feel like I get that release that keeps me on the right side. I'm a pretty normal guy - good career, great family, but guess I'm just built that way to have ups and downs.

So, what's changed? Well.... we're on the cusp of legalization here in Canada which got me thinking back to those times as a teenager, I don't really remember what it was like other than it being enjoyable. With that and a realization that my alcohol usage is potentially damaging, I decided I couldn't wait until legalization kicks in (realistically we're at least a year or two from retail sales) and decided to seek out some grey market buds.

I've been lurking here for a while and really didn't want to go the smoking route, so reached the conclusion that a Flowermate Mini was right for me - combination of discreet and easy to use. It should be arriving soon and then I'll be ready for my first session.

I've been reading a few posts, but I'm still pretty nervous about that first time - I don't want to overdo it out of the gate and get put off/freak out. My plan at this point is to start with a small amount - I've read 0.1g should be more than enough - but I have no idea visually what that looks like or a scale accurate enough to measure it. Any pointers on getting the initial quantity right? I don't want to get fully baked first time out, but obviously want to get some effect. I understand that the bud these days is way way more potent than what I might have tried in the 90's.

I have mixed emotions at this point - excited, nervous, maybe even little guilty that I feel the need to do this - is that wrong? Guess I'm here looking for reassurance that it's perfectly normal!

Sorry for the rambling post, but everyone seems pretty friendly here and feels good to share my thoughts. Thanks!

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
Hey everyone - new here.... Just wanted to say hello and ask a few questions.

My story - like most teenagers (now in my late 30's), I smoked a little - probably a dozen times total, couple of times getting properly baked. After my circle of friends changed, I never really had the opportunity again and with the illegality of it, never sought it out either.

Struggled with some mild depression on and off through all my adult life - found that my coping mechanism is self medicating with alcohol, usually I limit myself to weekends, but I have to over indulge to feel like I get that release that keeps me on the right side. I'm a pretty normal guy - good career, great family, but guess I'm just built that way to have ups and downs.

So, what's changed? Well.... we're on the cusp of legalization here in Canada which got me thinking back to those times as a teenager, I don't really remember what it was like other than it being enjoyable. With that and a realization that my alcohol usage is potentially damaging, I decided I couldn't wait until legalization kicks in (realistically we're at least a year or two from retail sales) and decided to seek out some grey market buds.

I've been lurking here for a while and really didn't want to go the smoking route, so reached the conclusion that a Flowermate Mini was right for me - combination of discreet and easy to use. It should be arriving soon and then I'll be ready for my first session.

I've been reading a few posts, but I'm still pretty nervous about that first time - I don't want to overdo it out of the gate and get put off/freak out. My plan at this point is to start with a small amount - I've read 0.1g should be more than enough - but I have no idea visually what that looks like or a scale accurate enough to measure it. Any pointers on getting the initial quantity right? I don't want to get fully baked first time out, but obviously want to get some effect. I understand that the bud these days is way way more potent than what I might have tried in the 90's.

I have mixed emotions at this point - excited, nervous, maybe even little guilty that I feel the need to do this - is that wrong? Guess I'm here looking for reassurance that it's perfectly normal!

Sorry for the rambling post, but everyone seems pretty friendly here and feels good to share my thoughts. Thanks!
First, Welcome!
God gave Man ALL seed bearing plants! DON'T FEEL GUILTY! Don't stress over the amount that you will use. Just relax and take a puff. Wait a few...feel anything? Take another puff. No rush, no stress. Wait, see what happens. Find your Zen. Look to the thread for your specific vape for help on the device. Most important, ENJOY!

KidFated.

Unknown Member
First, Welcome!
God gave Man ALL seed bearing plants! DON'T FEEL GUILTY! Don't stress over the amount that you will use. Just relax and take a puff. Wait a few...feel anything? Take another puff. No rush, no stress. Wait, see what happens. Find your Zen. Look to the thread for your specific vape for help on the device. Most important, ENJOY!
I agree 100%. Wait for effects before going too far.

mixchu69

If you are too worried or stressed, I think it will ruin the experience. If it is not a positive experience at first, remind yourself that the effects will last only a few hours. But I highly doubt that it won't be a good experience. I would read some of the flowermate thread too.

al bundy

Vaporist
Never used any Flowermate but pretty decent reviews on them

id grind up enough for a joint and just start with that, and load a little at a time.maybe 1/4 of a joint?
Either grind or cut with scissors in a small glass.
Don't know if they send free grinder with purchase but scissors will do.
Welcome and enjoy.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Couldn't agree more wait, and wait, otherwise you may 'chuck a whitey'. I would also have to add do not drink alcohol either before or after as the combo could spin you out. Have something, other than alcohol, to drink at hand and some sweets. Having witnessed a friend chuck a massive whitey in Amsterdam the bar lady jumped up, as my friend hit the deck, shouting 'zuckerwasser'. The depletion of sugar in the brain causes the whitey.
If you feel anxious then don't go any further. Wait until you are in the right frame of mind. Go outside somewhere you feel most relaxed and at ease. Feel the breeze. Relax and enjoy.
Remember the stuff you had as a teen shouldn't be a patch on whats available today. So slowly slowly...

poonman

Vaporizing allows you to regulate your high .
I would start with the lower temp/settings 1st .
Then step up gradually ( If needed ) .
The higher temp will get you more medicated ,
so I wouldn't start at max. setting , for a returning
newbie like yourself .

You'll find your ' sweet spot ' with the flowermate ...
and welcome to FC .

Jethro

Don't think of "measuring" your dose in weight... think instead as number of puffs on a certain temp. What's left in the device will remain good for future use. Fill your device and heat it up, take a puff or two. You'll know in a few minutes if you should stop or porceed. The only thing that gets confusing is different plants have different potencies and liquid content. Thus, some material might need more heat, some less to make the same vapor in a given device. Do not fear a few puffs and you will soon realize how to effectively dose yourself.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Welcome aboard! You've come to the right place. This site and the people who frequent it are some of the nicest and warmest folk you could ever encounter.

My suggestion .... treat yourself! Just starting out again means you have a clean slate. No tolerance issues and a clear path for the first experiences again. The right music will sound awesome, favorite foods will taste phenomenal.... Wish I were in your shoes! An opportunity like this doesn't come along often. As an example....It's been 40 years since my body was this open to the pleasures of partaking.

First....Set the mood, enjoy the re-entry and relax. Put on your favorite music. Something soothing and meaningful to you. Turn the lights down a bit. Set aside something you enjoy that's non-alcoholic and not caffeinated to drink in case you get dry. And of course...prep for the munchies with your favorite treats! Have a great feel good movie ready like Avatar.

As everyone else suggested....start slow and savor it. Maybe 2 to 3 hits in a 10 minute period and wait for another 10 minutes. There's no rush....

One other piece of advice....just because you don't 'feel' like your high doesn't mean your not on your way or have arrived. Sometimes you gotta change the perspective to feel the affect.

Damn I wish I were you right now....Have fun!

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I don't have a flowermate but make sure you read through the thread to familiarize yourself with your new vaporizing tool.

All good suggestions above, I saw the one about don't drink any alcohol beforehand. You want to see how the cannabis affects you. You don't want to intertwine the two. Alcohol seems to bring on some of my anxiety the next day.

Relax and don't overthink your first session, you will do fine. Start at a low heat and take a draw. Make sure you have some well cured product in the oven. After the second draw I would wait 10 - 15 min to see how you feel. Get up and walk around. If you feel you need more, go back to it.

Good luck and keep us posted. Welcome to the FC bandwagon friend - climb aboard.:)

Canuck420

First of all, thanks for the warm welcome, I appreciate it.

Totally agree with the alcohol comments, actually the last time ever that I tried any was early 20's on a single occasion after a heavy night out, I mentioned to a friend that I quite liked a smoke.... They pulled out a doobie, next thing I know I'm bed bound with the spins... That wasn't pleasant at all!

A question on smell - how much should I expect? Obviously I understand that it's vastly different to combustion where it's completely obvious and that's part of the attraction for vaping, but I've seen various reports from no smell at all to there's a reasonable amount, so I don't know what's accurate. The wife knows my intentions and disapproves somewhat, so won't be cool if I stink out the house. Do I need to open a window or go where there's an extractor fan (bathroom)? Going outside isn't really an option as it's starting to get pretty cold here now...

CarolKing

I don't know how stinky the FM is but often just popping popcorn will cover any cannabis smell. It's easier to cover the smell and it goes away fairly quickly compared to cannabis smoke. I have a oil diffuser that I use that's spreads the sweet smell of baked sugar cookies. My Walnut Enano (log vape) works as my oil defuser.:2c:

You will want a smell proof container for your bud. That's the main smell you will need to worry about. Our favorite flowers gives off quite the pungent smell in its green state.

Maybe eventually you can get the wife to mellow out with a few hits.:lol:

Last edited:

Canuck420

That's going to be a tough mountain to climb, not a prude but has tried it several times in the past and didn't like it (said it makes her dizzy), so isn't going to willingly partake.

It's going to be interesting to see how attitudes change when we hit full legalization here, I think it will take quite some time before it's as normal as pulling out a beer.

CarolKing

I live in WA state we have very conservative areas pocketed all over the state. It's not commonplace here yet. Our lawmakers allow us to use cannabis basically in our homes but not out in public. If you saw that funny Saturday Night Live skit with Woody Heraldson puts it about what it's like. If someone can post that funny video please do. It was from last season. I can't post any, it doesnt work with my iPad.

Edit
That's it!! Thanks @GetLeft

Last edited:

GetLeft

Is this it? Can't watch it right now as the young ones are stomping around.

Love new conversations like these :)

I'd say your wife will never come over to the vapor side. But I can't. At 15 I was young stoner. By 30 I was no longer one. Now past 50 I'm an old vaper. Vapor changes things.

Read read read the flowermate thread. And do as recommended (especially regarding 'burnoffs' and regular cleaning). Some very informed folks there who will be glad to help. But they'll expect you've done your homework ;)

Canuck420

Love new conversations like these :)

I'd say your wife will never come over to the vapor side. But I can't. At 15 I was young stoner. By 30 I was no longer one. Now past 50 I'm an old vaper. Vapor changes things.

Read read read the flowermate thread. And do as recommended (especially regarding 'burnoffs' and regular cleaning). Some very informed folks there who will be glad to help. But they'll expect you've done your homework ;)

I've been lurking in the Flowermate thread as it took me a while to decide which of the three current models to go for, so I have a reasonably good idea how it works - I like how straightforward it is, that was part of the attraction.

I find that I can put 0.1gm into my Flowermate mini set to blue(385f) and take 3-4 hits today and the same tomorrow at purple (400) and be nicely medicated to where I'm definitely nicely elevated without being so high I can't talk with my wife who doesn't medicate. I'll take a picture of what 0.1 looks like and add to this post in a few minutes.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
@GetLeft - Yep...that's the video. Thanks for that Getleft and @CarolKing - Every time I see that video I laugh my ass off.......

@Canuck420 - CK is right about the MJ smell itself being the bigger smell to worry about. I vape in the master bath all the time and the smell never finds its way to the family room. I opened a bag of MJ in the same bathroom and when I came out my kid said 'I know what you've been doing' with a huge grin. I wasn't sure what they meant till my wife said the smell was strong. I hadn't even vaped.

uhranium

1. I don't remember the temperature settings on the FM but wasn't this the one that goes beyond 420F and only starts like 380F? If so, take the lowest temperature and stay on it.

2. 0.1 is actually too much, I vape several times daily and I don't need more than 0.02g per session lately. It is just that efficient

3. I don't even use 0.02g sometimes, one single fking puff could be enough. Turn it on, suck it in, rebreathe a bit, turn down the vape and enjoy your chair. At best wait 5-15 minutes to really get a feel for your medication right now.

4. Having some food and music prepared is the nuts. Don't try to make an oven pizza when you're baked or you will end up with charcoal or lose your house.

5. Get some non-alc drinks, some chips, some chocolate, whatever you love, and enjoy the f out of it :)

Hashtag46&2

Trichome Technician
Welcome to FC :rockon: @Canuck420 !! Which also entails welcoming you to the Family.

I'm excited for you brother.

Just like all the wonderful members have mentioned; take it slow and easy.

Vaporization of Cannabis as opposed to the alcohol is going to improve your health believe it or not.
There is absolutely no reason to be feeling guilty.

We as Humans have a "Built in Endo-Cannabinoid System"
Cannabis was created by nature to stimulate our CB1 & CB2 receptors, boosting your immune system, and actually bringing clarity to your thought patterns.

Lady Cannabis also happens to be one of the very few substances on Earth to be known as an Anti-Carcinogen , so micro-dosing the Herb is like taking an Anti-Cancer "Vitamin".

Regarding smell,
As pointed out by @CarolKing & @His_Highness , the pungent smell of the raw cannabis swill be more aromatic, you can make a simple "sploof" to exhale your vapor into.

Take a cardboard paper towel roll and stuff it with Fabric Softener sheets, blow exhale through the tube to "scrub" the aroma.

Or buy a "Smoke Buddy Jr." Essentially the same thing, but has activated carbon to absorb the odor...will be much more effective, but the homemade sploof should suffice.

Enjoy your cannabis my new friend, The Vapor is majestic and enlightening....
The "Release " effect is so soothing.

You now have a ton of support!

:peace:
Hashtag

Canuck420

I'll take a picture of what 0.1 looks like and add to this post in a few minutes.

That would be useful, thanks. Should I grind only what I'm going to use that session or grind more and store it for next time?

Thanks to all the other posts, loving the support so far.... Looking forward to getting onboard :tup:

Canuck420,
Reactions: NorVape

CarolKing

Ground up cannabis: Depending how much cannabis you want to use. I would say grind enough for a few hours. I don't want my product to dry out too much. I like the smell after it's been freshly ground. After your cannabis is ground it loses freshness after a few hours.

Canuck420

like with a chunk of cheese: freshly grinded is way more aromatic!

0.1 is a lot imho. 0.02 is grinded and layed out like 3/4-covering a 1-cent piece.

If 0.02 gets me baked, this is going to be much more economical than my drinking habit....

A normal weekend night for me normally looks like a bottle of wine and a couple of beers, or a 1/4 bottle of Whisky and a few beers....

Top Bottom