Firewood Vaporizer

friedrich

Little-Known Member
I was thinking about a new toy. Can't decide on this Firewood 3 or waiting for a Zion!
I am loving my Haze but would like a Convection portable in the lineup too! Firefly and Elevape just seem old now so that leaves these wooden beauties.
and I think I may pick up a EVO this month. Damn You VAS!!

I know the Zion is a lot more money, less portable, and not available anyway. Do you think this can compare with the internal batteries only? I like big clouds!

I've been waiting for the single-battery Zion for a good while! Jumped on the FW3 when it came out, and now I sort of regret passing on the full-size Zion at the beginning, since that would be more of a contrast with the FW (and it would be here soon/already, for a much lower price!)

The integrated stem/stash/tool storage seemed unnecessary in a home-portable though (as opposed to pocket-portable; but maybe we could say the Zion is perfectly bag- or backpack-portable?), and the battery management sounds annoying (using a separate charger, keeping batteries paired and rotated, watching voltage levels). For me it's much nicer just plugging the FW in to charge, while still having the option to replace the batteries eventually, or supplement them with an external power pack.

It seems the main advantage of Zion tech is the wide-open airflow, but the draw on the FW doesn't bother me and it delivers some serious vapor clouds. I'm eager to try it and compare, but even the single-battery unit may end up staying mostly at home due to the stem design.

j-bug

So I recently started using a box mod and RTA set up for THC e-juice(& also 0nic e-juice cause just blowing clouds is really helpful for my anxiety) and I finally understand what people are saying about the FW3 having a restricted draw. But like compared to most other portable dry herb vapes and to even my Underdog I don't find the draw to be particularly restrictive, I think it's a matter of what you're comparing it to.

dac13

Its been about 3 months of using the battery pack and I've had no issues.

Sorry if you have already posted this elsewhere @paytonpenn, but could you tell me what kind of battery pack are you using? I have seen it in your videos and wondered. Just the name would be great or a link if you have it handy :lol:

dac13,

CarrotWarrior

So I recently started using a box mod and RTA set up for THC e-juice(& also 0nic e-juice cause just blowing clouds is really helpful for my anxiety) and I finally understand what people are saying about the FW3 having a restricted draw. But like compared to most other portable dry herb vapes and to even my Underdog I don't find the draw to be particularly restrictive, I think it's a matter of what you're comparing it to.

I'm still trying to understand the draw and gauge up to a proper easy temp bump. That sweet spot where you just primer or no primer and easily sip I only get that sometimes on 4. All the other times it's a few puffs and it slowly builds up.

But is the consensus guys that you don't necessarily need lung strength/capacity but it definitely helps for quicker (possibly efficient) sessions:shrug::science:

Edited: to make point clearer :bowdown:

Last edited:

btka

I do not have my fw3... it resting in custom... yeahhh

but as far as I can compare it to other convection vapes... a mistake which a lot of poeple make is over filling the bowl or tamping it... it is a convection vape try to load less in the bowl.. it is not a conduction pax style vape where you have to pack you herb in this would be counter effectiv...
I also read in the gh thread people filling the gh and packing it tight and then complaining about draw resistence and heat issues...

by the way did I mention my fw3 is still held in customs... to be honest I hate if other poeple are complaining and whiining about waiting time hahahaa so sorry...

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
I might weigh into the fw3 vs e nano debate, also, if i may.

I find the fw3 is comparable to the e nano, but not in the same league.

Clouds and effects from the nano are better and easier to produce i find, even at low temps (for the nano. I always use the fw3 at higher temps-as with most of my portables). The nano produces thick clouds from the very start of the first draw with no effort, wheras the fw3 builds as you draw so takes more effort or longer draws.(although effort is not really the right word. There is no effort, just different design and therefore technique)

Having said that, it's not a fair comparison (desktop vs portable. Fully self contained unit vs vape and stem setup etc) so the fact that the fw3 is even a contender (and for some a preference) is a testament to just how good it is.

The fw3 also requires less or no stirring, you can get by with just tapping the mouthpiece against the wood occasionally, so has that in its favour.

I will also add that i find it is the portable vape closest to the nano in usage and effects so can totally understand why these comparisons started to pop up. It's top notch!

throwawaytre3s

I might weigh into the fw3 vs e nano debate, also, if i may...
I will also add that i find it is the portable vape closest to the nano in usage and effects so can totally understand why these comparisons started to pop up. It's top notch!

That makes me really excited to hear... I wonder when my order will ship? I hope I have it by next thursday.

throwawaytre3s,

Mulehead

I might weigh into the fw3 vs e nano debate, also, if i may.

I find the fw3 is comparable to the e nano, but not in the same league.

Clouds and effects from the nano are better and easier to produce i find, even at low temps (for the nano. I always use the fw3 at higher temps-as with most of my portables). The nano produces thick clouds from the very start of the first draw with no effort, wheras the fw3 builds as you draw so takes more effort or longer draws.(although effort is not really the right word. There is no effort, just different design and therefore technique)

Having said that, it's not a fair comparison (desktop vs portable. Fully self contained unit vs vape and stem setup etc) so the fact that the fw3 is even a contender (and for some a preference) is a testament to just how good it is.

The fw3 also requires less or no stirring, you can get by with just tapping the mouthpiece against the wood occasionally, so has that in its favour.

I'll say it again, if y'all aren't pulling bigger clouds with the firewood than e-nano, you need more practice!
I'm not trying to be a smartass, just want everyone to enjoy this little beast as much as I do. Again practice makes perfect!

Try pulling the capsule out, take a dry hit to activate the heater, and watch how the heater cycles, do this a few times.
Get to know the patterns of your heaters cycle.

As you said the fw3 builds as you draw, as the heater builds or heats up, slowly increase your draw rate to match the temp that you want.
I increase my draw by tasting the vapor hitting my tongue, such sweet vapor.
Less than half way through my hit I'm drawing at about full strength, the harder I draw the more vapor is produced, none of my other vapes seem to do this. Maybe herbalizer, but it's vapor production doesn't compare.
You can also feel resistance build as the heater builds, this is another indicator to increase your draw speed.

With this feedback, I get bigger clouds from fw3 than my nano, evo, and herbie with better flavor (which can be very subjective) IMHO. YMMV
I know... it boggles my mind too.

Last edited:

b0

Cloudy...
With this feedback, I get bigger clouds from fw3 than my nano, evo, and herbie with better flavor (which can be very subjective) IMHO. YMMV
I know... it boggles my mind too.

Better flavor and bigger clouds than the EVO? I'm sorry but I can't believe that unless there is something wrong with your EVO. For me the all-glass path of the EVO has one of the best (if not best) flavor and there is no way that a vape with "wood flavor" improves that. But I can understand that you personally like it more that way of course :tup:

That's one of the things I like more about the "vape world" in what we live. I stil remember when I had to stop smoking because of my asthma and getting really sick from combustion, after 2 times in the emergency room I decided to fuck combustion but in that years the only choice was the Volcano and I was a young student not able to buy something so expensive. So I stoped smoking and enjoying this beautiful plant until we started to have more options. Right now there is so many different vaporizers, that everyone can have his own favourite! :rockon:

PS: Im really interested in this vape and keeping an eye on it, for me its gonna be FW3 or FF2. I love on-demand vapes:freak: I think I'm gonna sell my Pax 2 soon and my ESV is already on the clasiffieds.

throwawaytre3s

So I'm a leatherworker by hobby and family trade. I'm making a leather case for my firewood, but it hasn't arrived yet! I was wondering if any of you fine lads and ladies would be able to take pictures and measurements of your firewood and post them? It'd help me a ton in designing my case!

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
So I'm a leatherworker by hobby and family trade. I'm making a leather case for my firewood, but it hasn't arrived yet! I was wondering if any of you fine lads and ladies would be able to take pictures and measurements of your firewood and post them? It'd help me a ton in designing my case!

I could provide these things on a metric scale... Could shoot ya some pics next to a meter stick..?

throwawaytre3s

I could provide these things on a metric scale... Could shoot ya some pics next to a meter stick..?

That would be perfect actually! I'm an American, but I measure out my leatherworking stuff in metric. It's more precise that way, I feel. Thanks man!

throwawaytre3s,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I work with leather too and I would be glad to see what you will do for your FW3... really curious, sorry but can't help you about measurement....

btka

j-bug

Thanks man! Those are helpful! But I also need photos to tell where the cool air intake is, the button, and where to shape the flap on top to work around the mouthpiece.
http://imgur.com/a/QtgfT

I took a few pictures. Sorry I don't know how to embed from mobile. Also I unfortunately only have imperial measurements available. The last picture hopefully is clear enough to show where the air intake is. Let me know if you need any other angles.

throwawaytre3s

I work with leather too and I would be glad to see what you will do for your FW3... really curious, sorry but can't help you about measurement....

Do I want to go the clasp, snap, or buckle route for closing the top? I'm excited to see how this turns out! It'll also be my first attempt at lining something with suede!

DirtbagDan

Magnet clasp
Dowel and loop
Oversize button
Bottom closure
Origami cuts
Thong
Friction fit
Latch
Hook and loop
Actual hook and loop
Integrated pick