Firewood Vaporizer

Shmoo

So I assume that all new units will be shipped with the new mouthpiece & screen set-up?

Shmoo,

GMahler

Is a user-replaceable screen attached to the wire, or is the new screen built into the new mouthpiece?

GMahler,

firewood

Manufacturer
The new setup doesn't have a screen, just the coiled up wire, which prevent the herbs from going into your mouth. It is also possible to take the wire off (it is like a little cap that easily comes on/off) and use the old screen method (form a screen into a bulb shape and put it into the end of the glass), or you could even cut a small screen and slide it into the wire so that the wire holds it into place.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
This is a very interesting vape. I would love to see it evolve to have user-replaceable batteries. Part of what I am trying to do is collect and only keep vapes around that will continue to function over a long time. I hate to buy stuff I know will just be tossed in the trash once it stops working. Being able to repair/replace parts is a huge plus. I am also growing fonder of wood vapes in general.

Marcus Oller

First post on here. Just wanted to say thanks to the forum for all of the information. I purchased the Firewood based on everyone's feedback and thoughts here. I was between the MFLB and Pax for the last few weeks and decided this is really what I was looking for. Plus, it's fun to support the new guy on the block. I'll post a review once received and tested.

HSIHP

I ordered one as well and it will be here shortly. :)

Would definitely be interested in some sort of simple water tool attachment.

AWESOME name/avatar G! I am a big Mahler fan.

Oh yeah... this vape looks amazing too! I can't wait for some reviews and I'll have to agree with Jam, replaceable batteries would take the cake (maybe some how similar to the new MFLB batts?).

HSIHP,

firewood

Manufacturer
AWESOME name/avatar G! I am a big Mahler fan.

Oh yeah... this vape looks amazing too! I can't wait for some reviews and I'll have to agree with Jam, replaceable batteries would take the cake (maybe some how similar to the new MFLB batts?).
I agree about replaceable batteries and actually had planned on doing this for a long time but it really adds a lots of extra cost and space. After trying that for a long time i see why iPhone does not have them - it is just hard to do well.

I have a question though - replaceable batteries can mean two things to me - batery(s) that can be replaced, but not easily, after they are permanently dead, like a cell phone battery, or batteries that are meant to be swapped out often so you can go out with spare(s) for when the batteries run out. Which are you guys talking about?

jambandphan03

in flavor country
ultimately, the less you have to carry the better. Ideally, a battery that stays put until it's dead, then has to be replaced, IMO, but if that is not possible, being able to change it more often would beat having to throw it away when it dies, but this is just my take on it.

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
I have a question though - replaceable batteries can mean two things to me - batery(s) that can be replaced, but not easily, after they are permanently dead, like a cell phone battery, or batteries that are meant to be swapped out often so you can go out with spare(s) for when the batteries run out. Which are you guys talking about?
I think batteries that can be swapped out often are a massive benefit. Batteries are the fastest progressing technology in this space, and so not only do you get the ability to extend the run time of your vape by having extra batteries on hand, you also get to upgrade your vape's performance in the future. The MFLB just got a big upgrade in that way, five years on from its release.

firewood

Manufacturer
Yeah having swappable batteries is really a separate feature from replaceable and they give nice features like never being out of service. Here's the problem though - swappable batteries are generally the kind that you charge in a separate charger that you have to put the batteries into. Those batteries typically are not meant to be charged in series which is how you have to charge when you use a simple plug charger like the Firewood uses now. I think most people would find it annoying to have to take the batteries out to charge. Being able to just plug in the unit is nice.

satyrday

Being able to just plug in the unit is nice.
It is nice. The way I use it, scheduled downtime is not a problem (but I'm a relatively light user). Plus, this vape has really good battery life from what I've seen so far. I just hope the batteries stay healthy for a long time.

For this unit I'm willing to trade replaceable batteries for the trim profile and price (I got it for $100 :p), although in a perfect world they are preferable.

satyrday,

sensei

Do you use the NiMH battery packs used in RC cars? If so why not use the ones that have a plug instead of the ones that are soldered directly to the electronics.

sensei,

katabolicklapaucius

A cellphone battery that just slides in would be amazing. Even if it marginally increases the width. A slide on the bottom of the vaporizer to keep the battery in place, and a screw on one end to make sure it stays snug but is still replaceable. Could be expanded with better batteries in the future, and swapped out without much effort. How safe are li-ion batteries when in contact with wood? This would suggest it's safe, I suppose.

The Combustion Process of Burning Wood

1. Wood heats up to approximately 212 oF (100 oC) evaporating the moisture in it. There is no heating from the wood at this point
  2. Wood solids starts to break down converting the fuel gases (near 575 oF, 300 oC)
  3. From 575 oF to 1100 oF (300 - 600 oC ) the main energy in the wood is released when fuel vapors containing 40% to 60% of the energy burn

katabolicklapaucius,

OO

Technical Skeptical
If a cell phone battery is implemented, something that's still common would be good.

OO,

katabolicklapaucius

Yeah, I just realized you could even make adapters for it, so you can slide in different batteries and make it even more adaptable. A long term, upgradeable and user-repairable vape would be amazing.

katabolicklapaucius,

OO

Technical Skeptical
In addition to the use of a cell phone battery, how about a tray you can set the device down on to charge it akin to the 3DS charging tray?

OO,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
A cellphone battery that just slides in would be amazing. How safe are li-ion batteries when in contact with wood?n

That's a really cool idea!

The battery would be safe. As long as it is a Li-Ion type and not the Li-Po type. Which almost all cell phone batteries are Li-Ion.

CentiZen,

katabolicklapaucius

That's a really cool idea!

The battery would be safe. As long as it is a Li-Ion type and not the Li-Po type. Which almost all cell phone batteries are Li-Ion.

Thanks. :D

I'm sure price would go up but cellphone batts are small enough and see some of the faster improvements since they have such a large market. I'd expect them to provide enough power too since some of the quadcore SOCs take some decent juice.

In addition to the use of a cell phone battery, how about a tray you can set the device down on to charge it akin to the 3DS charging tray?
Good idea! If we're going to make a premium product here why not inductive charging? :lol:

katabolicklapaucius,

OO

Technical Skeptical
Thanks. :D

I'm sure price would go up but cellphone batts are small enough and see some of the faster improvements since they have such a large market. I'd expect them to provide enough power too since some of the quadcore SOCs take some decent juice.

Good idea! If we're going to make a premium product here why not inductive charging? :lol:
I'm not to sure about induction, but the tray has little metal contacts that pop out when the device is sitting in it.

OO,
Top Bottom