• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Firewood Vaporizer

grokit

well-worn member
So I've figured out an interesting screen trick for my massdropped fw1.0.

I haven't used it that much but have noticed that I get much better/hotter temperatures with good airflow, and was getting a bit frustrated with the stock screen setup. After the first couple of uses, I was not getting that "edge of combustion" performance that I liked out of the box no matter how I tweaked it.

I had recently ordered some of these no2 screens for my pnp bullets, and while I wasn't thrilled with that setup, I found that with a bit of tweaking I can get that screen to out-perform the stock fw screen, at least for the way that I like to use it.

RHOfvci.png

Above is a stock no2 screen, and another one I have modified in "outside in" fashion. The benefit is that the screen maintains its perfectly-flat exposed area. When I use it I push it all the way into the tube so only the flat part is outside of it, flush against the rim. Then I just put the spring over the top as usual (it's suspended by the magnet in the lid in this photo).

It looks like there's a hole in the screen in this photo but it's an illusion :freak:

I'm glad I figured this out because I'm liking this little vape again, and I have another use for those no2 screens. If anybody else has any laying around, give this a try and let me know what you think :tup:

Last edited:

Grange Goreman

Wood lover
Nice mod …..how is it about clogging ?

my last one was a simple dead mflb mesh inserted in the tube…..it works nice but despite I flattened it as possible it's clogging …..:rant:

Grange Goreman,

grokit

well-worn member
Thanks, so far so good on the clogging. That's why I went this route, for the biggest flat area so the least prone to clogging up and it should be easy to clean. I will keep you guys posted if anything changes.

:peace:

Gotta love those flexible NO2 screens, they have a thousand uses.

Personally I've come to like Marc's spring method of creating a basic screen, and have no problem living with its little foibles.

wisherly

I just got my 2.0 yesterday. I can offer some initial impressions.

Well, I opened it yesterday with a lot of anticipation, but fell asleep (literally) waiting for it to charge. So, this morning I got to try it out. It looks nice, although my unfinished version does seem like it needs some color, so I bought some mineral oil for it this afternoon. I found some at a local pharmacy for $3. That should do the trick. In a way it does seem "stealthier" than other portables. I feel comfortable walking down the city street sipping on it. It looks innocuous- certainly not like paraphernalia.

I was a bit worried about two things before I received it- that the load size was too small for me and that it doesn't get hot enough. Unfortunately I wasn't exactly pleasantly surprised on either of those two counts, especially the bowl size. It is small. I haven't weighed anything out, but I would guess maybe .1g. The instructions say not to go over half full on the capsule, so I haven't but it may be possible. I'll test that out soon.

So I tried it out using exactly the instructions in the manual that came with it. On the first try I got no vapor, and the mouth piece got burning hot. Disappointing, but I was expecting a slight learning curve. Second try- vapor! Good taste! The mouthpiece didn't get too hot this time- I must have been drawing too fast the first time. Yay! abv turned out medium brown, but I had to cook it almost constantly for maybe five minutes to get that. My fingers got tired holding the button in, and the rough edges don't help with that- perhaps I'll try sanding down the rough corners a bit on the side with the button to improve comfort. Hopefully this will get easier as I practice my technique and get used to it. It takes a while to get vapor, as others have noted. Third try- nothing. Battery light got dim upon pressing the button. I suspect I accidentally left it on in my pocket for a couple hours. I hope so, because it hopefully lasts for more than 2 sessions per charge. Now I'm waiting for five more hours for it to recharge.

As long as the battery isn't an issue, overall I'm still excited about this vape. Still some unanswered questions, so I'll try and provide an update after I have some more experience with it.

Wish list- pass through charger, extra capsules with caps for preloading and stuffing in pockets without spillage.

Questions- Can I use it without the capsule? It looks like stuff might get stuck in there without it. I'm not clear on how the 1.0 version was made, but is there any reason why I can't use it without the capsule, perhaps with a piece of screen shoved in there instead of the capsule? This would increase the load size considerably. I can't quite make out what the internal components are in the opening of the actual unit- is that coiled wire down in there the actual heating element?

UPDATE/EDIT- Yeah, I left it on by accident- the battery seems to last pretty long if you remember to switch it off. Also, filling the bowl up to three-quarters full seems to work fine, as long as you pack it loosely.

Last edited:

Trever

I just got my 2.0 yesterday. I can offer some initial impressions.

Well, I opened it yesterday with a lot of anticipation, but fell asleep (literally) waiting for it to charge. So, this morning I got to try it out. It looks nice, although my unfinished version does seem like it needs some color, so I bought some mineral oil for it this afternoon. I found some at a local pharmacy for $3. That should do the trick. In a way it does seem "stealthier" than other portables. I feel comfortable walking down the city street sipping on it. It looks innocuous- certainly not like paraphernalia.

I was a bit worried about two things before I received it- that the load size was too small for me and that it doesn't get hot enough. Unfortunately I wasn't exactly pleasantly surprised on either of those two counts, especially the bowl size. It is small. I haven't weighed anything out, but I would guess maybe .1g. The instructions say not to go over half full on the capsule, so I haven't but it may be possible. I'll test that out soon.

So I tried it out using exactly the instructions in the manual that came with it. On the first try I got no vapor, and the mouth piece got burning hot. Disappointing, but I was expecting a slight learning curve. Second try- vapor! Good taste! The mouthpiece didn't get too hot this time- I must have been drawing too fast the first time. Yay! abv turned out medium brown, but I had to cook it almost constantly for maybe five minutes to get that. My fingers got tired holding the button in, and the rough edges don't help with that- perhaps I'll try sanding down the rough corners a bit on the side with the button to improve comfort. Hopefully this will get easier as I practice my technique and get used to it. It takes a while to get vapor, as others have noted. Third try- nothing. Battery light got dim upon pressing the button. I suspect I accidentally left it on in my pocket for a couple hours. I hope so, because it hopefully lasts for more than 2 sessions per charge. Now I'm waiting for five more hours for it to recharge.

As long as the battery isn't an issue, overall I'm still excited about this vape. Still some unanswered questions, so I'll try and provide an update after I have some more experience with it.

Wish list- pass through charger, extra capsules with caps for preloading and stuffing in pockets without spillage.

Questions- Can I use it without the capsule? It looks like stuff might get stuck in there without it. I'm not clear on how the 1.0 version was made, but is there any reason why I can't use it without the capsule, perhaps with a piece of screen shoved in there instead of the capsule? This would increase the load size considerably. I can't quite make out what the internal components are in the opening of the actual unit- is that coiled wire down in there the actual heating element?

Version 1 had a nichrome wire winding up the glass loading tube where as version two is a nichrom coil beneath the glass capsule. In theory i wouldnt see any reason not to be able to place a screen in there and have the herb placed in the tube rather than the capsule. That could possibly help the air thoroughly go through all the herb, possibly thats why some people are having some problems getting a good extraction because the glass capsule has quite a bit of wiggle room allot of the air is passing around instead of through it? Im still out for a review being my first unit was one that didnt have an adequate heating element but should be recieving my replacement tomorrow. Marc knows what hes doing version 1 was incredible and I still use it every day so hopefully version 2 just has a few little kinks to be worked out before its better than v1.

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Play with your draw rate. It's convection mostly so you'll have to get the heating element warm first, and then transfer the heat to the material which also has to warm up to get to vaping temperature. Drawing too fast can possibly cool down the heating element.

Wish there were some more videos! Had to lend my mom the money I had and get the car oil changed so I wasn't able to grab a V2.

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Version 1 had a nichrome wire winding up the glass loading tube where as version two is a nichrom coil beneath the glass capsule. In theory i wouldnt see any reason not to be able to place a screen in there and have the herb placed in the tube rather than the capsule. That could possibly help the air thoroughly go through all the herb, possibly thats why some people are having some problems getting a good extraction because the glass capsule has quite a bit of wiggle room allot of the air is passing around instead of through it? Im still out for a review being my first unit was one that didnt have an adequate heating element but should be recieving my replacement tomorrow. Marc knows what hes doing version 1 was incredible and I still use it every day so hopefully version 2 just has a few little kinks to be worked out before its better than v1.
I wonder if a capsule designed more like an ELB would work any better. That way it would be easier to load and unload (not that it's that hard) and also let the air swirl fully around the herb. Plus there would be less chance of losing some herb into the heat chamber if one were to try using a screen only. Just some random thoughts.

Madcap79,
Reactions: wisherly

Quetzalcoatl

I wonder if a capsule designed more like an ELB would work any better. That way it would be easier to load and unload (not that it's that hard) and also let the air swirl fully around the herb. Plus there would be less chance of losing some herb into the heat chamber if one were to try using a screen only. Just some random thoughts.
Someone made a chamber out of mesh, it's a few pages back I think.

Quetzalcoatl,
Reactions: Madcap79

Quetzalcoatl

It did look like an ELB from what I recall, just with the proper dimensions for going into the loading chamber.

Quetzalcoatl,

wisherly

In theory i wouldnt see any reason not to be able to place a screen in there and have the herb placed in the tube rather than the capsule. That could possibly help the air thoroughly go through all the herb, possibly thats why some people are having some problems getting a good extraction because the glass capsule has quite a bit of wiggle room allot of the air is passing around instead of through it?

Ah, that's probably why the manual stresses that the top be pushed in tightly, so the bottom external rubber washer (the one in the middle, the most obvious one) fits snugly against the capsule as well as against the chamber glass. Good to know.

Is this the elb-like bowl from earlier?

It looks very well done, with the little handle to lift it out. I'm not sure how that handle would avoid the air-tight connection necessary, I suppose just by being very thin. It looks somewhat difficult to make, unless you're handier with a soldering iron than me. Looks great though.

wisherly,

Tickdickler

I've had mine for about 2 weeks. Getting the vapor and draw you want all comes down to technique. With practice I'm now able to better control the size of my hits without burning my lips on the mouth piece. I've got no gripes about the 2.0 so far. This vape has convinced me to sell my Pax.

wisherly

Mine finally finished recharging. I'm loving it, getting sweet tasting hits off it now. Yeah, very slow draws are best, not even really draws but more like just letting the vapor float out. I find myself checking to make sure some air is going through by covering up the air-intake every once in a while. Maybe this is what an MFLB draw is like? I'm not sure because I've never had an MFLB.

I'm able to roast my abv now to a very nice medium-dark roast coffee color, and throughout a full bowl- with the mouthpiece moved up as far as it will go without something falling apart.

wisherly

I've been playing around a bit and found one big shortcut to making one of those metal screens- an ELB bowl for the Cloud happens to fit in the FW almost perfectly. It's a tiny bit smaller than the chamber, but would still improve the volume a bit and probably the airflow. Currently I'm thinking of chopping off the metal ring on the top of the ELB for better fit with the o-ring and so it sits lower in the FW. Then perhaps somehow I'll add a lifter handle so it doesn't get stuck in there. I'll update with pictures if it works.

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
I've been playing around a bit and found one big shortcut to making one of those metal screens- an ELB bowl for the Cloud happens to fit in the FW almost perfectly. It's a tiny bit smaller than the chamber, but would still improve the volume a bit and probably the airflow. Currently I'm thinking of chopping off the metal ring on the top of the ELB for better fit with the o-ring and so it sits lower in the FW. Then perhaps somehow I'll add a lifter handle so it doesn't get stuck in there. I'll update with pictures if it works.
Maybe just put a little loop on the ELB so you can hook it with something to pull it out? Just a thought.

Trever

Been using my new v2 for the last 2 days and all i can say is i'm super glad i got ahold of Marc. This thing RIPS much better flavor than v1 and i can get some good thick clouds almost as fast as v1 now. Super stoked thank you Marc!!!!

Top Bottom