Firewood Vaporizer

Oogendoogan

Thanks for the reply.

So when you're done with the second bowl then you'll have 2 bowls worth of tray sticking out when you get to the third, I guess. Does that mean you need to be able to empty those spent bowls as you go in order to keep them from self-emptying while you're using subsequent bowls?
If you load the tray full. The tray will be all the way inserted for the first bowl. After that you move the tray out of the unit by one space for the next bowl. So if you vape one bowl, you gotta empty it to vape the second, or you will have a bowl full of abv hanging out of your firewood. It keeps getting longer until your on bowl 5, or you can turn it to keep it so you only have to have it out 3 spaces max. I personally pack 2 bowls in a row; then sometimes a third in the back. This lets me do the 2 in a row, then have a third if I wish to turn around the clip. And I can do all of this easily, just gotta dump the abv out of the used bowl before you move to the next one. Hope that helps you understand it a little. I would say the benefits of the multiple bowl tray outweigh the downsides. If you don’t like the tray sticking out at all pack the front and back bowls. Then you have 2 and can turn the clip around to use them and never have the clip sticking out. The option to pack 5 bowls and vape them all in a row is nice even though I rarely use it. I would rather have the 5 bowls than Just one because there are so many more options this way.

djchexxx

Does that mean you need to be able to empty those spent bowls as you go in order to keep them from self-emptying while you're using subsequent bowls?

Pretty much, yes. If you're out and about it's as easy as clapping your hands together on the flat part of the FW5 thats nearest to the open tray end. I guess this has a ritual just like the capsules on the FW4 but a little different. I think that this will keep the tray from clogging up over time meaning less maintenance in the long run.

420canuck

Thanks for the pictures and comparison @djchexx. I enjoyed the fw4 when I had it and was surprised how small it was. Looks like the fw5 will be an easy vape to travel around with, plus the 5 bowls on the go cuts down on having to bring another container with more herb with.

firewood

Manufacturer
What is the air path like on the Firewood 5? I know the vapor path is mostly ceramic, but there is no info about the air path.
The air inlets are small gaps at the corner of the ceramic heater block, between the block and the surrounding wood housing. So the air is passing between wood and ceramic, then into the ceramic block where it is heated by the stainless heating element then through a stainless screen after which it enters the vapor path.

420canuck

Received my fw5, and ran a clip through it. I am liking the user interface, it's not automatic yet but i can see it being so after some time with this vape. I don't know what it is about wooden vaporizers, especially the firewood, but theres something cool about holding a wooden product over a plastic built one. Im going to continues testing this baby out. But so far my impressions are very high ;]

ZC

This vape absolutely destroyed me last night in a way I didn't expect. It totally caught me off-gaurd.

It feels like a truly fresh take on the portable vape. It doesn't look, feel, or operate like other vapes.

The battery door is the stem. And it's attached by a pinch-clasp thing. The bowl is uh, 5 bowls in a separate container from the stem.

It packs 5 bowls, regulated heating, and a 4'-inch stem in a size smaller than a Mi, LB, or other unregulated single-battery vapes. -without even counting their stems.

It's sanded down smooth as can be, with a nice finish. The shape is odd, but comfortable. The circular bezeled button is more comfortable and satisfying to press than the FW4's, and is actually comfortable to press without re positioning your hand like the FW4.

There's no good solution for water cooling really.:hmm: Very strange coming from previous FW where 14mm water pieces were compatible out of the box with no extra accessories.

It came with a weird lasercut uh... stir tool? It looks like a specialized tool but I don't know what it's for.

The hits are INCREDIBLY cool and smooth though. I had a hit where I was taking a big draw and the air was so cool I was wondering if the vape was even working, until I exhaled a gigantic cloud.

The airpath is mostly ceramic and glass. Cool air passes between wood and the ceramic heater casing, around through the heater, into bowl through an SS mesh, into a ceramic 90-degree joint, into a long glass tube.

The three ceramic pieces are bridged by high temp silicoln O-rings. Directly after a hit the o-rings are cool to the touch.

I'm really impressed with how long the airpath is after the heater.

The clip system is strange. There isn't a significant "click" feeling when you switch bowls which feels a little finicky and manual.

Operating the vape is definitely not manual, it's fully regulated with draw-speed sensors and everything. Hits are consistent and predictable with no chance of combusting.

The mix of the ease-of-use, smoothness, and clip system means this is going to be my go-to for groups now. I'm getting phenomenal results.

scion34

I received my unfinished FW5 yesterday as well, spent a good hour cleaning her up with some 400 grit sandpaper, coconut oil, and finally some of Ed’s wood butter; looks beautiful and was easy enough! The level of craftsmanship and ingenuity that went into this design is nuts once you start playing with it, impressive for what it is! Loving the use of all the ceramic as well, everything should be easy to clean.

However, after 5 trays and a few drained battery’s of use I can’t say I’m as impressed with this ones performance, I’m going to run some more trays before deciding what to do, but my unit has been overly charring every chamber on both of the lowest settings within the first few hits, ruining the flavor quick. I’ve attempted to adjust the heat down on both low and medium but I’m just not happy with the results. It’s either not enough or too much. I also feel like vapor density drops off greatly after the first hit, the remaining 4 or 5 hits per chamber are pretty wispy.

I’ve taken a full trays worth of AVB that was spent to the point of no vapor and looked thoroughly browned and charred and dumped it into the FlowerPot to see what happened; I got quite a dense and tasty cloud off of what came spent out of the FW5, more so than I was comfortable with, calling into question the efficiency of this new heater design, or it could just be a faulty Firewood.

Last edited:

420canuck

Any tips or tricks from fw5 users that have the vape dialled in? I'm not getting consistent results. I seem to overpower the heater with my draw and it vibrates at me for doing so. Ive tried 2 fresh 18650 batteries but it still does it. If I inhale slow I can get a cloud but the herb tastes almost charred.
Is anyone else finding the clip almost impossible to move when your vape is warm? When its Cool no problem but my fingers hurt from changing bowls when its warm.

scion34

Any tips or tricks from fw5 users that have the vape dialled in? I'm not getting consistent results. I seem to overpower the heater with my draw and it vibrates at me for doing so. Ive tried 2 fresh 18650 batteries but it still does it. If I inhale slow I can get a cloud but the herb tastes almost charred.

I’m in the same boat, too fast and no vapor, too slow and it chars, I haven’t been able to find a happy medium. My trays all end up with a black charred center with various packs and grinds, this is with the medium temp adjusted down two steps as well per the instructions.

Oogendoogan

I’m in the same boat, too fast and no vapor, too slow and it chars, I haven’t been able to find a happy medium. My trays all end up with a black charred center with various packs and grinds, this is with the medium temp adjusted down two steps as well per the instructions.
Honestly sounds like something isn’t right. I hope you can get something worked out cuz this is a great vape. Don’t get me wrong my firewood 5 can easily hot spot the center of a load but char? Never. Not unless I’m boosted up on temp 4 drawing way to slow then it’s still minimal. I pack the bowls loose, coarse grind with a slight tamp on top. Usually start at lvl 3 where I can get hits without stirring over and over again and it’s very hard to get and uneven roast. At lvl 4 the first hit will usually leave a darker spot in the center than the outside of the bowl. It’s better to stir at these temps. But it’s not needed. If you just use your draw speed correctly you should be able to do a high temp session on lvl 4 without stirring and without any major charring. Maybe a little uneven abv, but that’s standard for on demand pure convection vapes. If you stir you can get it even every time. Maybe your firewood heater is faulty or something because I have had such a great experience with the 5, the even roasting especially when starting at lower temps is better than any portable pure convection on demand vape I’ve used. The splinter; stempod, milaana, Zion, etc can all hot spot just as bad or worse. And as far as taking the abv and getting more out of the FP. Of course you did. The FP or something like the glass symphony or the supreme V3 or a sublimator are just on another level and I can take fully extracted mighty, Argo; stempod, dynavap, and a few other vapes in the past like my Zion’s abv and get more out of my FP or GS. Unfortunately haven’t seen a portable that can come close to vapes like the FP GS or sublimator when it comes to extraction power. When that vapes come out it may be the last one I need lol.

scion34

And as far as taking the abv and getting more out of the FP. Of course you did. The FP or something like the glass symphony or the supreme V3 or a sublimator are just on another level

I realize this, it’s why is use it as a benchmark against all of my portables and why I chose to mention it here. This was out of the norm in my testing, I don’t want to delve too far off topic but the AVB I get from a Splinter/MI, MVT, or even a FW4 capsule produces but a spent tasting wisp compared to the full on dense burst of flavor I get from my spent FW5 trays, it seems like something is likely off with my unit compared to yours and a few others experiences thus far. I’m going to play with it a bit more before contacting Marc

Oogendoogan

I realize this, it’s why is use it as a benchmark against all of my portables and why I chose to mention it here. This was out of the norm in my testing, I don’t want to delve too far off topic but the AVB I get from a Splinter/MI, MVT, or even a FW4 capsule produces but a spent tasting wisp compared to the full on dense burst of flavor I get from my spent FW5 trays, it seems like something is likely off with my unit compared to yours and a few others experiences thus far. I’m going to play with it a bit more before contacting Marc
Right on man. I wasn’t trying to like put down down your issues in any way. Just trying to point out what exactly I’ve experienced so you have a positive experience you can really compare to. It forsure sounds like your unit is not working as mine is. But it sounds like you know that changing a few variables can be the difference with vapes like this. I wish you the best and I’m sure Marc will get you sorted out if needed. He has always been great to deal with for me.

ZC

If you're having trouble finding the right draw speed I'd try starting with a fast draw, and then gradually slowing down until the "too fast" buzzes stop.

ZC,
Reactions: scion34

firewood

Manufacturer
I’m going to play with it a bit more before contacting Marc
Something definitely sounds off here. One thing to check - Remove the tray and use a credit card or some plastic wrap to cover the oring that the tray normally sits against. Then draw through the mouthpiece to check how tight the seal is. It should be pretty close to air tight. If not then the mouthpiece probably isn't clicking into place properly and it is probably the problem. Feel free to send me an email at service@firewodvapes.com for more help.

firewood

Manufacturer
I just made an alternate top shape as shown on the right in the image below (original on the left). Any thoughts or preferences?

mieHOIV.jpg

Last edited:

ZC

I feel like the original shape is more ergonomic and comfortable looking but the new shape is better looking and looks more "designed" if that makes sense.

What if you made the shape more rectangular and used the extra space for material/stir tool storage?

firewood

Manufacturer
Thanks, that's kind of what i think too, although I'd also add that the more ergonomic look of the original is just a look and is really just as comfortable to use in practice. I think I might start offering the new version as an alternative. Nice idea about using the space to store something. I'll definitely give it some thought, although it would take more time to develop wheras I can start cranking out the alternative above right now.

Also, anybody know why the image won't show up inline and how I can fix it?

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Marc: do a search for "wrong with imgur" there's a thread about the issue. In short, they cut hot-linking to the forum because we have a classifieds section and it's somehow against their ToS (commercial interest)

While I'm at it and for what it's worth, I also prefer the new design.

Oogendoogan

I just made an alternate top shape as shown on the right in the image below (original on the left). Sorry about the funky lighting ;)
Any thoughts or preferences?

kCQq33V.jpg
I like them both. Sorta like the new one more, but then I think about how ergonomic the original design is, and can’t help but think that extra bump by the button may change the feel in a way I wouldn’t care for, but looks wise the one on the right is great. Just feel like the design of the firewood 5 is all about how it feels. It looks amazing IMO, but any of the “awkward” shaping is for form factor and how great it feels in your hand. Maybe offering both would be the best idea. They both look great though and after holding mine I’m very happy to have the more ergonomic shape.

Oogendoogan,
Top Bottom