Firewood Vaporizer

ZC

Just saw this too. Bummer, but I'm glad he's taking the issue so seriously. Some manufacturer's wouldn't go through such steps after 1 incident.

If you know anyone who got a FW4 off the classifieds (and thus wouldn't get this email) be sure to let them know!

Email mistake is a bummer too, but oh well. We can all trust each other, right?

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
I'd like to know more details about the incident. Is the FW4 circuit closed and "on" as soon as you close the door?

What if it was only a problem with the shrinkwrap at the top of the cell? On a damaged wrap, if the door grinds on the positive end of the cell it's possible to dislodge the insulation ring, in which case both polarities are just a few millimeters away, begging to be shorted.

Nope. It's closed already. As soon as the battery is being inserted it makes contact to both terminals. The door is really just a door... You would not need it to turn the unit on and operate.
Really curious about that mishap and the specific cause... Can't think of anything but a damaged cell wrapping and too much force when trying to close the door ... Plus bad luck^2...

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Nope. It's closed already. As soon as the battery is being inserted it makes contact to both terminals. The door is really just a door... You would not need it to turn the unit on and operate.
Really curious about that mishap and the specific cause... Can't think of anything but a damaged cell wrapping and too much force when trying to close the door ... Plus bad luck^2...
My impression was that the unit does turn on when you insert the battery. I say this because yesterday when I put in a battery and closed the door, the unit gave the two buzz shut down signal a few seconds later.

CarboxylicAcid

My impression was that the unit does turn on when you insert the battery. I say this because yesterday when I put in a battery and closed the door, the unit gave the two buzz shut down signal a few seconds later.
Can confirm, the 4 turns on as soon as you insert the battery. I'm guessing there was some sort of clearance issue with the door that caused the battery to get damaged while putting it on.

JoeMama

I emailed him about that and he responded immediately. He feels truly horrible about it. Honest mistake made in the heat of the moment.
I'd like to think that vaporistas are chill folk!

Can confirm, the 4 turns on as soon as you insert the battery. I'm guessing there was some sort of clearance issue with the door that caused the battery to get damaged while putting it on.

Just saw this too. Bummer, but I'm glad he's taking the issue so seriously. Some manufacturer's wouldn't go through such steps after 1 incident.

Email mistake is a bummer too, but oh well. We can all trust each other, right?

Gotta say, when I got the email, my very first thought was, "Good for you, Marc, for taking the high road on this".

I'll miss using it until the fix is in, and I sure hope Marc doesn't suffer for what seems to be a very weird incident.

To wit, as @CarboxylicAcid guesses, I would guess as well, but yet I can't imagine the door having any impact on the battery; and, if it did, in that maybe the wrapper of the battery was sticking out and the door would have to be jammed like crazy or something... But jeezis, at what point does a "no go" in the act of closing the door become pretty fucking obvious? And even at that, it remains inconceivable to "dent" the battery that way. Although, I do handle those suckers as if they were live M-80's.

CarboxylicAcid

I'd like to think that vaporistas are chill folk!

Gotta say, when I got the email, my very first thought was, "Good for you, Marc, for taking the high road on this".

I'll miss using it until the fix is in, and I sure hope Marc doesn't suffer for what seems to be a very weird incident.

To wit, as @CarboxylicAcid guesses, I would guess as well, but yet I can't imagine the door having any impact on the battery; and, if it did, in that maybe the wrapper of the battery was sticking out and the door would have to be jammed like crazy or something... But jeezis, at what point does a "no go" in the act of closing the door become pretty fucking obvious? And even at that, it remains inconceivable to "dent" the battery that way. Although, I do handle those suckers as if they were live M-80's.

I'm just trying to make sense of how it could've went down given what Marc has told us. I've been using the 4 for a good bit now and I can't think of another reason why the battery would vent when the door closed specifically, rather than when it was first inserted or during use when it actually gets hot. I know the door is pretty easy to slide on wrong if you don't line up the grooves first. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the fix changes before any more speculation.

vapen00b

Yep. I was just trying to say you don't need to close the door to complete the circuit. The unit does buzz when you insert the battery, confirm that too! :tup:

PPN

Volute of Vapor
After to took the battery off I gave a look to my FW4 (2nd hand) and to the batteries I have and some of them have a very light chip on the positive ends (on the edge to be more precise).

After that I noticed the solder on the FW4 positive side and, it's only pure speculation, if inserted in a specific way, the batterry could get a chip creating a hole in the wrap and a short.
I'm really thinking this is the cause of issue since 3 on my 4 batteries(3LGHE2 and 1 samsung25R) used in my FW4/MVT/Alternate are damaged and one even got the metal under visible and after checked my others devices I can't see how they could damage the batteries... although some batteries already falled from my desk and this is might the cause of the chips too...

Thanks to Marc to advertise all the customers but it might be nice to post here too... All in all this is lead me to inspect my batteries and avoid an house fire, whatever the future investigations will show!

XiolaOne

Firewood 4
I think you're right. I can see some very light marks on the top of my batteries that could eventually be a problem

After to took the battery off I gave a look to my FW4 (2nd hand) and to the batteries I have and some of them have a very light chip on the positive ends (on the edge to be more precise).

After that I noticed the solder on the FW4 positive side and, it's only pure speculation, if inserted in a specific way, the batterry could get a chip creating a hole in the wrap and a short.
I'm really thinking this is the cause of issue since 3 on my 4 batteries(3LGHE2 and 1 samsung25R) used in my FW4/MVT/Alternate are damaged and one even got the metal under visible and after checked my others devices I can't see how they could damage the batteries... although some batteries already falled from my desk and this is might the cause of the chips too...

Thanks to Marc to advertise all the customers but it might be nice to post here too... All in all this is lead me to inspect my batteries and avoid an house fire, whatever the future investigations will show!

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
I think you're right. I can see some very light marks on the top of my batteries that could eventually be a problem
I took a real close look at my 2 batteries and they both show very light/faint dents or scratches in the wrapping where the battery would rub against the contact during insertion or removal. I'm guessing that is the issue addressed by the fix for which Marc is awaiting approval.

XiolaOne

Firewood 4
probably this little bugger right here

8bqjaa9.jpg

JoeMama

I'm just trying to make sense of how it could've went down given what Marc has told us. I've been using the 4 for a good bit now and I can't think of another reason why the battery would vent when the door closed specifically, rather than when it was first inserted or during use when it actually gets hot. I know the door is pretty easy to slide on wrong if you don't line up the grooves first. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the fix changes before any more speculation.

Could have simply been the over-use of a hammer when the door wasn't lined up properly.

:shrug:

JoeMama,
Reactions: vapen00b

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I happened upon this thread from somewhere else, I don't have a Firewood 4 but they seem like awesome vapes.

Kudos to Marc for getting out in front of the situation right away, that says a lot. :clap:

I hope this gets resolved quickly so everyone here can continue enjoying their FW4.

This really illustrates the importance of visually inspecting your batteries constantly. I only have one device that uses replaceable batteries. I always check the wrapping of each battery before and after I charge it. Basically any time I touch the battery I thoroughly examine the wrapping to make sure it is intact and not showing signs of wear or damage.

It's easy to forget just how dangerous batteries can be on their own regardless of the device itself, stay vigilant!

vapen00b

probably this little bugger right here

8bqjaa9.jpg

That's funny. I took a very similar pic yesterday wondering about the same. I carefully inserted the batt and could see that this little something was NOT long enough to touch the batt when inserted. The plus terminal is longer. But I was paying attention while inserting and if you just swap it out quickly it might be at an angle and get in contact with that thing... But I don't think it's about this tbh.
Also this would not explain why the issues are being caused by the door when being closed.
There's some rough or even sharp wooden edges around that positive terminal on the body. But I even rotated that inserted batt to see if it gets stuck or if it moves due to a bump or something. Nothing.

It's has to be the batt door in combination with some of that metal to cause a short. I hope we will get to know soon.

Kudos to Marc for getting this message out frankly. (Am I the only one who did NOT receive that mail?) And thanks to you guys for letting me know.

This really illustrates the importance of visually inspecting your batteries constantly. I only have one device that uses replaceable batteries. I always check the wrapping of each battery before and after I charge it. Basically any time I touch the battery I thoroughly examine the wrapping to make sure it is intact and not showing signs of wear or damage.

True words bud. I always do that too - and now that I have several cool Superhero wraps I even enjoy rewrapping :D

Must admit that after inspecting my fully charged HG2 I carefully inserted it and had a wonderful session thru my Orbiter :bowdown: (Already feel bad I posted this)
Don't do this at home :razz:

cgod

Bummer, wanted to purchase the Firewood 4, and just emailed Marc to ask if he delivers to the UK and how much it would cost, then i come across this, hope all works out and soon! Bummed i cant purchase,was looking for a portable on demand tasty convection vape and this seemed the one

FatOldEnt

Any recommendations for colored silicone for the capsules? I like to combine different strains and it would be helpful to have different colors for each capsule.

FatOldEnt,
Reactions: djchexxx
Top Bottom