Firewood Vaporizer

Sand

Flirting with Combustion
I'll definitely consider this. It shouldn't be too hard to add.

I have a few questions for anybody who has an opinion - when we talk about swappable batteries vs. user-replaceable, we are basically talking about how long it takes to change the batteries... so what do people consider a max amount of time it would take to swap a battery for it to be considered "swappable"? If you put the vape on a table with a battery in it and another battery next to it on the table, then you quickly change the battery, how long do you think it should take? Does anybody have any battery-swappable vapes that they can try this test on?
To me it's more about, can I do it without tools properly.

firewood

Manufacturer
I guess I assumed it was a given that there are no tools for it to be considered swappable. Assuming no tools, it could still take too long I think. Maybe I am just being too sensitive coming from the convenience of just plugging the fw3 into a charger cord, which takes almost no time. With fw4 you'll have a few more steps and i don't want that to be a drag and also wanted to get a feel for what people consider to be good.

Melting Pot

Sick & Twisted
I guess it depends on what is making it take to long?
Tinkering with interlocking wood pieces.
Or trying toget a battery in some impossible position.
Apollo unscrew aluminum cap swap batts
Zion remove magnetic wood cover swap
In your opinion what is to long
Where is all the time spent nothing quicker than just plugging in but thats not always the option.
Hope this helps

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
Well, I guess as a comparison, I would say swapping out a spent battery with a new one should take around 30 seconds or less, with the same ease of swapping out batteries in your basic flashlight. I can't imagine a scenario where I would need to swap out any quicker or with any greater convenience.

Thanks for allowing us input into YOUR design process! :rockon:

djchexxx

I have a few questions for anybody who has an opinion - when we talk about swappable batteries vs. user-replaceable, we are basically talking about how long it takes to change the batteries... so what do people consider a max amount of time it would take to swap a battery for it to be considered "swappable"? If you put the vape on a table with a battery in it and another battery next to it on the table, then you quickly change the battery, how long do you think it should take? Does anybody have any battery-swappable vapes that they can try this test on?

Probably 5-10 seconds? I remember on my air it wouldn't take to long.

djchexxx,
Reactions: j-bug

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Swapping on the Milaana is under 5 seconds: unscrew, tilt to make the cell drop, put new cell, tilt back to make it fall gently into position, put back the tab while screwing and done.

Swapping on the evic VTC mini is even faster, say 4 seconds: remove magnetic lid, pull on string to eject cell, put new cell, click the magnetic lid back in place.

Zion is longer as there are two cells, but with the magnetic lid it's also a matter of "click, clack clack, click"... :)

On the X-Max v2 pro it's 6-7 seconds as you need to unscrew the battery "tube". On the VapeDynamics Duo it's more painful as there is a round screwable battery cap and it feels more tedious.

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
I agree with all of the above.

5-10 seconds is optimal, but changing flashlight batteries is a good analogy. It can take a little while, but it's simple and you can do it in the dark if need be.

I'd be good with 30-60 seconds at least, no rush, but if external charging is the only option i think you'd get 'marked down' if it took too long or is in any way complex.

Gettinbetter

I don't have a vape to test this with but when I consider other devices such as a GoPro camera or a cell phone with removable battery the answer is simply this, the faster the better. Why? Because it's a pain and no one "wants" to do it so the easier it is the better. I think that as long as you don't need a special tool of any sort to open and remove batteries then you are good. Some box mods for ecigs have magnets holding the cover on. It takes only a few seconds to replace a battery on it.
I'd say that swapable is <15 seconds maybe 30. Using a tool and/or taking a minute to do is user replaceable.

Just to add something .... It may be simple to plug in the f3 but you still essentially have to wait until it charges in order to use it. Swapping a battery makes it instantly ready. It also makes it more portable!

Last edited:

DirtbagDan

A few minutes. I think 5 minutes gets excessive, perhaps 3 at most, and preferably without tools. If I could simply change it like a flashlight, that would work well.

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
I think it also depends on the frequency you need to replace the battery, if is like the arizer air (2-3 4 max loads) maybe it should be rather easy and quick, if it is like a solo (7-8 loads) it can take little more time considering you will do it less often..

will be there the possibility to charge it through a charger without swapping batteries?

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
I think I'm in minority, I much prefer plug and play. Swapping should take like 10 seconds max if it's advertised as external charger needed. That's a big reason I never ever opened my FW 3, when those batteries are dead and gone then I'll swap em. I like that model because you aren't stuck to the batteries it arrived with (like Mighty or CFX) so when the batteries die on those I'll need warranty. With the other way I can just replace myself, which is nice.

Looking forward to it!

hippogriff

I think swappable needs to be under 10 seconds. In other quick-convection portables, the Fireflies have it w/ a tab and a click, and the Milaana feels really good w/ a quick loosen and fall. The Grasshopper is a bit slower w a lot of threads to turn, still feels quick swappable but it's not as satisfying.

I imagine a nicely beveled wood door on the FW4 - you'd slide it open (not off) w a thumb and the 18650 would fall out, then push a fresh battery in against the spring and slide closed.

Oogendoogan

I needed a stealthy vape for on the go and I was thinking of a CF or maybe the new Odin when my buddy reminded me I am a convection guy and sold me his firewood :lol: I love the look of this vape, so slim and sleek! I am comparing it to my Milaana as that is my favorite portable but it was just a little large for some situations so I figure the FW3 will be perftect :tup: it really does look like I'm hitting an e cig and will be perfect for my needs. I have a few questions for all you firewood lovers out there. I am a higher temp guy, I like to cloud chase, are big clouds achievable with this vape? I ran a load on high and got whispy vapor but I'm sure it was my technique. Can anyone lend a hand there? How full do I pack? How should I draw? I figured pack full draw slow would get me huge clouds but it didn't? Idk all I've heard is great things and I can't wait to get this thing dialed in.
Thanks everyone I hope to get some great use out of this beautiful vape. I am so glad that another wooden vape has made its way into my house lol.
Peace :peace::leaf:

Gettinbetter

I needed a stealthy vape for on the go and I was thinking of a CF or maybe the new Odin when my buddy reminded me I am a convection guy and sold me his firewood :lol: I love the look of this vape, so slim and sleek! I am comparing it to my Milaana as that is my favorite portable but it was just a little large for some situations so I figure the FW3 will be perftect :tup: it really does look like I'm hitting an e cig and will be perfect for my needs. I have a few questions for all you firewood lovers out there. I am a higher temp guy, I like to cloud chase, are big clouds achievable with this vape? I ran a load on high and got whispy vapor but I'm sure it was my technique. Can anyone lend a hand there? How full do I pack? How should I draw? I figured pack full draw slow would get me huge clouds but it didn't? Idk all I've heard is great things and I can't wait to get this thing dialed in.
Thanks everyone I hope to get some great use out of this beautiful vape. I am so glad that another wooden vape has made its way into my house lol.
I think using flower with a medium grind that is not too moist and loosely loading to 3/4 or full is a good load for this. Draw slow but make sure the heater is activated properly first. I take out the capsule and draw on the box. Wait until you see the coil glow then put the capsule in and start. See if that helps. Some buds give a bigger cloud than others too I've noticed but honestly I don't cloud chase so ymmv.

hippogriff

I'd say the vape signature & effects are very similar to the Milaana, but slower and you have to prime. Do you still temp step on your way to clouds? There's a nice euphoric edge that doesn't survive 4, plus a couple long draws at 2 or 3 will taste great and give the FW time to heatsoak for the fastest response later.

Anyway, PRIMING is key, meaning a 1/2 sec hard draw to trigger the draw sensor and start a preprogrammed heat-to-temp cycle. After priming, especially at the beginning of your session, the heater needs time alone or you'll overwhelm it and never get to temp (not like the Milaana where you can hold button and immediately pull slow on a fresh battery). This's worked for several of us: primer draw, wait 6 secs, draw slow. If you feel heat increase draw and enjoy, otherwise repeat.

As I understand it, the draw sensor is a two-function on switch. The prime turns on a pre-set heat cycle, and the slow-med draw while pulling vapor turns on a boost to help keep up - somebody please fill me in if that's incorrect. As w/ other convection portables, everything speeds up as your heater get's heat soaked.

Oogendoogan

I'd say the vape signature & effects are very similar to the Milaana, but slower and you have to prime. Do you still temp step on your way to clouds? There's a nice euphoric edge that doesn't survive 4, plus a couple long draws at 2 or 3 will taste great and give the FW time to heatsoak for the fastest response later.

Anyway, PRIMING is key, meaning a 1/2 sec hard draw to trigger the draw sensor and start a preprogrammed heat-to-temp cycle. After priming, especially at the beginning of your session, the heater needs time alone or you'll overwhelm it and never get to temp (not like the Milaana where you can hold button and immediately pull slow on a fresh battery). This's worked for several of us: primer draw, wait 6 secs, draw slow. If you feel heat increase draw and enjoy, otherwise repeat.

As I understand it, the draw sensor is a two-function on switch. The prime turns on a pre-set heat cycle, and the slow-med draw while pulling vapor turns on a boost to help keep up - somebody please fill me in if that's incorrect. As w/ other convection portables, everything speeds up as your heater get's heat soaked.
This is starting to make sense. I do temp step and I've been starting at 2 for a hit then going to 3, haven't tried 4 yet, I'm not a high temp guy im a higher temp guy haha: I'm aiming for 390 most of the time. Or a little less. I got some good clouds last capsule but I gotta take a break this thing does work whether your getting visible vapor or not haha. Crazy extraction. Thanks for the advice. The in depth description of the heater and draw sensor help me figure out how the vape works a lot. If anyone has anything to add to these great comments please do. I'm gonna watch some tv and space out on these sour Girl Scout cookies. New vapes are fun haha. Thanks guys I appreciate it :tup:
Cheers :peace:

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
@Oogendoogan i also thought a full pack would produce bigger clouds but not so. With the fw3 i find any more than 3/4 full with a loose pack will reduce performance. Half to 3/4 is perfect.

Also, if you pull too hard, all the material is sucked against the top screen and clogs/restricts airflow, so pull softer and or take out the capsule mid session and give it a couple of taps on the fw3 or flick it with your finger.

Clouds get bigger as the glass capsule heats up after 2-3 pulls and adds some conduction.

Finally, many of us have bumped up the temperature range a few notches. Mine is currently at heat setting 4.

@nosmoking posted a quick guide at the bottom of previous page which is correct except that the 3rd step where he mentions 8 presses to reset temperature is actually 8 presses to find out the current heat setting.

Confused? Basically, turn on, wait for battery confirmation. Press on button 8 times, after vibration, press 5 times. once you do the 5 presses and get 5 vibrations, you can press anywhere from 1-7 presses to change heat settings between 1 (lowest) and 7 (highest). 8 will tell you it's current setting. Note, this process changes the overall temp range for the 4 selectable temps.

There is a more thorough guide earlier in the thread which gives a breakdown of the actual temperature range corresponding to the different settings but i think it is 7 degree f increments.

@Diggy Smalls what happened? Did you bust the wood or has it just not started? It should buzz as soon as the batteries make contact, even before you screw tha screws. Ensure batts are orientated correctly and that tha metal plate is contacting both batterries. Were the replacement batteries pre charged?

Oogendoogan

@Oogendoogan i also thought a full pack would produce bigger clouds but not so. With the fw3 i find any more than 3/4 full with a loose pack will reduce performance. Half to 3/4 is perfect.

Also, if you pull too hard, all the material is sucked against the top screen and clogs/restricts airflow, so pull softer and or take out the capsule mid session and give it a couple of taps on the fw3 or flick it with your finger.

Clouds get bigger as the glass capsule heats up after 2-3 pulls and adds some conduction.

Finally, many of us have bumped up the temperature range a few notches. Mine is currently at heat setting 4.

@nosmoking posted a quick guide at the bottom of previous page which is correct except that the 3rd step where he mentions 8 presses to reset temperature is actually 8 presses to find out the current heat setting.

Confused? Basically, turn on, wait for battery confirmation. Press on button 8 times, after vibration, press 5 times. once you do the 5 presses and get 5 vibrations, you can press anywhere from 1-7 presses to change heat settings between 1 (lowest) and 7 (highest). 8 will tell you it's current setting. Note, this process changes the overall temp range for the 4 selectable temps.

There is a more thorough guide earlier in the thread which gives a breakdown of the actual temperature range corresponding to the different settings but i think it is 7 degree f increments.

@Diggy Smalls what happened? Did you bust the wood or has it just not started? It should buzz as soon as the batteries make contact, even before you screw tha screws. Ensure batts are orientated correctly and that tha metal plate is contacting both batterries. Were the replacement batteries pre charged?
Thank you. I have the guide for changing the temps. Would you reccomend this? I guess it would just make it 7 to 21 degrees hotter on all settings, idk maybe that could make a better setting 3 for me as I do not want to vape at 450 on 4.. Idk I have a lot more experimenting to do. Does anyone use this vape with water? I see it connects to a 14mm naturally. I think I may try that out next :tup:

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
Thank you. I have the guide for changing the temps. Would you reccomend this? I guess it would just make it 7 to 21 degrees hotter on all settings, idk maybe that could make a better setting 3 for me as I do not want to vape at 450 on 4.. Idk I have a lot more experimenting to do. Does anyone use this vape with water? I see it connects to a 14mm naturally. I think I may try that out next :tup:

Initially I would have said yes,but since reading the post you wrote while I was writing mine, maybe you don't need it hotter. Just focus on technique.

I found raising the temps means a quicker session on highest setting, but also allows a faster draw overall as it holds temp better so makes it a bit more forgiving. Also, with this, slowing your draw down allows an instant heat spike for clouds or final extraction.

Keep in mind, I only use heat setting 3 and 4 on this vape, (on boost 4) so am much higher temp vape.

I have only this week tried it with water for the first time and it really cools it down, and yeah an easy fit.

I also highly recommend a longer stem if you can. I use an Ed's tnt wooden nano stem which is an absolute perfect fit. So much so that it's set up for the fw3 only. I never use it for the nano.

@Diggy Smalls, sorry to hear that. Hopefully a quick fix for you.

Top Bottom