Firefly 2 discussion AND can anyone identify this vape from Mack and Devin Go to High School?

Buds Aldrin

Hi all, here is the vaping email that's taken me 3 years to write, so please give it its due attention. I have been using a firefly 2 vape for the past 4 or so years. I want to change to vaping exclusively, rather than bong hits, for health reasons. Bongs really irritate my throat, whereas vaping does not irritate my throat).
First and foremost, can everyone reach a consensus on this fact: For the Firefly 2 specifically, there is a direct, proportional relationship between the quality of the cannabis (specifically trichome density and potency of the product) and the quantity/thickness of the vapor and number of hits you can get from one bowl. I am surprised that I have never seen this mentioned anywhere. Given that I live in a city and country where cannabis is far from legal, the quality of the available product fluctuates quite considerably. I have noticed that when I am trying to vape mid-range/mediocre product (I would not even consider trying to vape low grade flower in a firefly), usually I will struggle to get even 4 or 5 half decent vape hits from one bowl, and that requires straining my throat muscles to the point where I feel like they are going to burst. And that's with the temperature set at 370 degrees F (not far off combustion temp). Whereas vaping any good to great quality, modern day professionally bred strain will yield about 8 or 9 really good vape hits (stirring the bowl after about 4 tokes, as you should), where I can really taste and feel the vapor as I inhale, producing a thick cloud of vapor upon exhalation. The taste is amazing and enhanced in a Firefly 2 if it is one of those tasty and potent strains. Is this a trend exhibited by all vapes in general?

Next Firefly 2 question: The airflow needle available for the firefly 2+, can it be used to clean out the airflow jets in the bowl for the firefly 2 as well? Currently I use an air-spray can with a very thin plastic nozzle to try and clean out the tiny holes, that do eventually get clogged.

Next question: When I was researching my first vape purchase 4 years ago I was recommended 2 other models: pax 3 and flowermate v5.0s. Are they better at vaporizing cannabis flower that is mid range quality than the FF2, at the equivalent temperature (370 degrees F - for proper comparison)? By better performance I mean more hits from same volume of herb and also thicker vapor. Or given that it s 4 years on, maybe someone has a newer, better model they can recommend that would perform well with low to mid range bud. Something that is the closest thing to a bong that is a vaporizer, which, incidentally, is what the designers of the Firefly use as one of their advertising claims.

Does anyone know the name of the vaporizer that Snoop Dogg was using at the 66:50 minute mark (during the out-takes after the end of the film) of Netflix's Mac and Devin Go to High School (mammoth task to try put an image from it on here)? It looks really easy to use, and Snoop seems to dig it, so must be a good model.

Gee wiz, I envy all the crew from California, Colorado etc etc - all those top shelf, resin soaked legally available strains (quality controlled no less) that must all vape like a dream in a Firefly 2 :) Do you realize how lucky you are (or maybe how unlucky most of the rest of the world is)?

Modnote: Edited to fix visibility as requested.

Last edited by a moderator:

blackstone

You are 100% correct it is a known fact and has often come up on here.
It even found its way into the Volcano and all S&B vapes user manuals. Where it says that the vapor density will be related to the amount loaded, the quality of material, and the temperature selected. Maybe there is more, not sure how it was worded exactly.
Some vapes might show it up more, maybe pure conduction gives lots of "ghost hits" afterward, and convection stops dead at a point.
Some (low quality?) material I have come across will release no more at higher temps, while some (normally the better quality) will almost choke you by surprise when you raise the temperature toward the end.

If you keep varibles like temperature and amount the same all the time, then you will see the difference mainly in the material quality!

Some vapes can run up to 446F without combustion, but they are all different and some depend on draw speed.

It took me a minute, but that movie is on Youtube in low quality and I had a look,
That looks to me like a Wispr 2 from Iolite with some type of small additional mouthpiece.

Screenshot-2020-05-18-21-21-50.png

Screenshot-2020-05-18-21-22-07.png

It was indeed a simple one button vape and it ran on butane but not with a flame.
It was a rework of the OG Iolite and if the bowl was filled up with something good (as it probably would be if you were handing it to Snoop!), Then it should have been quite pleasant alright!
Maybe that's what got him interested in vapes, an OG Iolite was my first try!

Now that I read a thread somewhere about this, it seems a Magic flight launch box appears earlier in the movie, causing some confusion about what vape is in the movie, but Im sure the one you meant is an Iolite Wispr.

I heard it said that vapes have moved on a bit since the Wispr, (maybe you can get cooler vapor from less material now? Just a guess) but the vape is still sold on their website I believe, along with the OG and a newer electronic version. And some people still love or are very fond of the vape.
They also do some very generous discounts at sale and public holiday times.

(Edited to add images)

Last edited:

Buds Aldrin

And yes I thought there was another time in the movie that Snoop used a vape, thanks for confirming.
I have to add to my post also, with the consensus that more potent, resinous strains of cannabis are best suited to vapes, and lower quality is pretty much not even worth trying in a vape, lends even more weight to legalization. That is, better access to quality cannabis makes vaporization more practical.

Buds Aldrin

Thanks. I will slightly amend my post about the firefly 2 and say that it is not so much a correlation between quality of the pot and vape performance. Even with certain top shelf, quality strains you consistently and inexplicably will only be able to achieve 2 or 3 even half decent vape clouds from 1 bowl. So it is more about the strain itself. One could say that there is a general pattern regarding the quality of the weed and vape performance, but I have found many exceptions. Therefore I can say that if it is full time vaping you are aiming for, this model is not the one for you. It certainly has its place in anyone's collection though, as with some strains it performs brilliantly. I am looking at the Mighty vape now. Is there a latest model for that or is it still exactly the same model for the past few years?

Buds Aldrin,

Vaporware

There was a minor Mighty update in the last year or two with a higher capacity battery, but I think that’s about it.

It’s not a bad device and a lot of people love it, but I think there are better options out there. My favorite portable is the Nomad, but there’s a long waiting list. If you want something soon, I’d take a look at the TinyMight and others with on demand convection heating. A lot of the others are mod box attachments so deciding whether or not you like that can narrow the list a lot.

Top Bottom