Filtered 'bowl' vapes

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
What size flame are you guys using & how far do you keep it from the caps nozzle? I think my fav (visible) flame lenght with my fav torch is about 3,5cm, & I keep the tip of the flame about 5 to 6 cm's away from the nozzle when inhaling, a little more at the end of a toke if I take a long draw.

I use my SSV screens in my GVB. They're large enough so it won't slip past the notches while stirring, but it can still move around a little which leaves a little room for weed to get through so I have to find a slightly larger screen sometime. Weed still slips through & an evening of heavy use is almost enough to clog up my downstem.

Glad your Solo stopped stinking Charlie, it really is an awesome vape if it works like it should. It replaced my SSV with ease & I would not go back. I don't think I ever want a whip vape again when I think about it, they're just to clumsy. Do you only have a SS Solo btw?

So you really love the VG, but you have the Lotus in your past vapes list. What didn't you like about it? I've been curious about the Lotus myself ever since it came out & I haven't entirely scrapped it of my wish list yet.

I'll check out the sellers listed in the retailer threads, but a 10% discount doesn't do that much on a 50 euro price. So far I found 'm at Vaposhop and Azarius. One gives an FC discount but the other one offers it with free shipping and ends up being cheaper in the end.

OhTheAgony,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I almost forgot to post this, but my warranty replacement Vapo Bowl fell apart on me too. I was still pre-heating it before use when it happened. It still looks new though, nice & shinny. I think I've heated it from the inside 5 times or so for about 5 to 6 seconds (just long enough to get the screen red hot to make sure there's no more off gassing).

Haven't even used it one time, and I'm not going to either. In fact, I'm gonna try and get a refund for this piece of crap. I'll order another metal VB to confirm my believes next time I place an order at the shop I got my first one from, but I'm already convinced that they are of a completely different quality. For some reason the MVB tastes less metallic too, even icw the metal bowl vs the other one with the glass bowl. I'm done with the GVB & sticking to my MVB till my Vapocane arrives.

Still awaiting a reply about info on the manufacturers of these things, but one of the retailers told me she's looking in to it for us.

edit: after closer inspection of the separated parts of my newest cap it felt like there was an oily layer on them. Torching the oily parts gave of a single fume & then no more when torched again. I have no idea what sort of oil it is & if it can be harmful or not when the fumes coming form it are inhaled it is but it smells a bit metallic on my fingers. I assume it's used to either preserve the metal in case they aren't sold within a short time after fabrication, or as something to help in the fabrication process when pressing the parts go together.

OhTheAgony,

mephisto

Alright, my GVB arrived from planetvape today. Just wanted to extend a hearty thanks to CDS, OTA and everyone who contributed. This thing works very well! I tore the screen out as suggested. A jet lighter
held at an angle gives great clouds, real quick. I also own a Supreme, and this vape gives similar clouds
with minimal torching. Thought I would give this thread a kick in case someone else was looking for an
easy to use, butane fired vape. Be sure and torch the whole top before use to eliminate the process oils.

mephisto,

scottio19

scotty
my glass vapo-bowl I got from everyonedoesit.com rocks! I am very pleased with its quickness and ease of use, only used it with a bic so far and I have not had any combustion issues.

however, when I plug the metal hole on top with my finger and inhale, there is still some airflow, meaning that the metal cap is not forming a perfect seal with the glass piece.

How are everyones' caps sealing?

scottio19,

Sensi Star

I also manage to find fitting glass screen for it which improved the experience a lot.. and u can watch concentrates melting into bubbles.

I am very interested in this glass screen you refer to. Are you talking about the typical glass screens generally for pipes that are shaped like a star (I don't see how these would fit on top of the pinches, but maybe over the bottom hole because it's smaller), or are you talking about one that is just a circle mesh that looks like metal screens but made of glass (didn't think these existed)?

Please, I would love for you to post a link and/or picture. And also, what size screen is needed for the 14mm GVB? I have been searching for months trying to find a downstem converter (14 ----> 9.5), and have finally found it so I can order the GVB, but now I wish to order everything at the same time.

I need to know the screen size for the 14 GVB, and also would like some recommendations on some butane jet-lighters that are good for it and emit no unburned butane gas.

Sensi Star,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Hey found mine locally but cant take photos cuz i gifted it to a friend.
You mean glass honey comb screen.. That's what i used first,, but i lost it and got my self locally one of those flower-shaped screens worked fine too..
If you are afraid of unburned gas and stuff.. you better look into clean airpath vapes like the Gnome..
There are both classic and gong version .. and the angles are custom. + the mouthpiece of the classic is 9mm so it can be used with most slide pieces .. I imagine those could work too.
fresh-bongs-ehle,-glass-3-point-glass-screen-14,5mm-1852.jpg

6-17-10%20honeycombscreen.jpg

Abysmal Vapor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
my glass vapo-bowl I got from everyonedoesit.com rocks! I am very pleased with its quickness and ease of use, only used it with a bic so far and I have not had any combustion issues.

however, when I plug the metal hole on top with my finger and inhale, there is still some airflow, meaning that the metal cap is not forming a perfect seal with the glass piece.

How are everyones' caps sealing?

I think that's normal, I have two and neither makes a completely airtight seal.

edit: are these the honeycomb screens you mention Ab?

6-17-10-honeycombscreen1.jpg

I don't think I ever seen those before but they could come in handy with some of my other stuff as well.

OhTheAgony,

Abysmal Vapor

:) Damn you are fast OTA :)
Those and ones shaped like flowers worked too..

Abysmal Vapor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Only sometimes unfortunately, Abysmal ;)

I have different flower shaped ones btw, the cheap ones work better with most bowls than the ones made by EHle ime.

Oh, Sensi Star, for metal screens I used regular SSV screens in my 14mm GVB. They are about 15mm in diameter or about 0,6 inch. I remember I would like them to fit tighter but they were the best I could find, unless you cut them yourself of course. They're just a little bit on the loose side but still work well and won't come out by themselves or anything.

To much choice in lighters I'm afraid, but if I had to pick one I'd recommend this one for the Vapo Bowls:

Butane-Jet-Flame-Torch-Lighter.jpg

You can find it online for about 10 to 12 bucks I think.

OhTheAgony,

Sensi Star

Wow, those honeycomb screens are wild! Every time I see the traditional star/jack shaped screens, I also wonder why no else else thought of replacing (duplicating) mesh metal screens with glass counterparts. It's such a no brainer, and I'm glad someone else thought of it.

Anyway, I appreciate the helpful hints, but it's frustrating that no one is answering the question about the SIZE (diameter) of the screens (metal and/or glass) needed to fit the 14mm GVB?? This is one of the most basic bits of info necessary for an intro to the GVB, but it's nowhere in this thread that covers just about everything else...

Sensi Star,

Abysmal Vapor

Well size of most downstems of 14. gongs is 9 mm This thigs are usually standart.. so guess that is the case of the VB .. So you will probably need a few mm bigger than the 9mm i would go with 10/12 mm as a bet :p 9mm is the inner diameter of the 14mm is the inner diameter of the 18 mm.

Abysmal Vapor,

Sensi Star

Wait that doesn't make sense. The 14mm measurement is the diameter of the BASE of the vapo bowl (the part that goes into the downstem). By looking at pictures, it is clear that the TOP/CONE (bowl) is substantially wider than the base, so it must be more than 14 right?

I'm talking about a screen that can fit over the pinches, or under the pinches...

Sensi Star,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Oh, Sensi Star, for metal screens I used regular SSV screens in my 14mm GVB. They are about 15mm in diameter or about 0,6 inch. I remember I would like them to fit tighter but they were the best I could find, unless you cut them yourself of course. They're just a little bit on the loose side but still work well and won't come out by themselves or anything.

OhTheAgony,

scottio19

scotty
Wow, those honeycomb screens are wild! Every time I see the traditional star/jack shaped screens, I also wonder why no else else thought of replacing (duplicating) mesh metal screens with glass counterparts. It's such a no brainer, and I'm glad someone else thought of it.

Anyway, I appreciate the helpful hints, but it's frustrating that no one is answering the question about the SIZE (diameter) of the screens (metal and/or glass) needed to fit the 14mm GVB?? This is one of the most basic bits of info necessary for an intro to the GVB, but it's nowhere in this thread that covers just about everything else...

I have .625 inch screens and they fit PERFECTLY

this is for my 14mm GVB. Larger screens can be easily cut down to size with scissors.

scottio19,

GratefulVapor

Phish Head
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know I have entered the realm of "butane powered vapes". I have never used a torch lighter for vaporizing anything but..well..(I was young)..'hard stuff' out of a hand pipe, & that was so long ago so I might as well be a complete newbie. I have started off with a Vapo Bowl I ordered from planetvape (18mm). I am trying to find a torch lighter that I can purchase..without placing an order online for one. I live in a big city so have access to lots of different stores. Where should I start, havn't had much luck yet with where I looked. Is the Vapo Bowl from planetvape this 'bad one' some have spoke of in this thread, I think yall refer to it as the GVB, vs the 'better' MVB. Which one do I have? Uhg....I am so lost! I want tasty, thick vapors too. I want a good/decent torch and some butane! The cigar store owner treated me like a junkie(jerk). Also about what size screen should I find to throw in the 18mm vapo bowl? 3/4in? 5/8in? Thanks guys. Hopefully I can report back that I have had success by 4/20! :dog: :shrug: :huh: :peace:

GratefulVapor,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Hey GratefulVapor. There are 2 types of Vapobowl - a metal (MVB) and glass (GVB). Both have the same top diffuser but the bowls are different.

Do NOT use a torch lighter for the Vapobowl or you will combust. They work great with a normal lighter - electric ignition is best because of no flint dust. I have the MVB and find it very effective. I will post some vids and a proper write up in a bit but have other vapes occupying my attention at the moment, but initial report is :tup:

J.R.R.Tokin',

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I have to disagree with you there J.R.(R.).

It works great with a torch as long as you don't stick the flame in there. Keep it an inch or two away from the opening in the cap and you're golden. A torch tastes way, way better than a regular lighter and it burns the butane more efficiently/cleaner.

I also noticed a significant quality difference in the metal caps that come with GVB and MVB, in favor of the MVB. I posted a comparison and some pictures a while back in either this or the MVB thread.

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Ooooh, thanks OTA. I haven't had time to read the vapobowl threads yet so hadn't picked up on that. I've used mine a dozen times so far and after one disastrous attempt with a torch stuck with the normal lighter. When I get home I'll definitely try it with a small torch. TY :D Any other tips?

J.R.R.Tokin',

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
NP, you have had quite a handful with all those vapes to review I can imagine :tup:

I haven't used mine for a while since I stopped using vapes that make you inhale butane flames, not sure if I remember everything right now. I used to heat the cap with the torch flame directly when I used mine, but only the cap of the MVB can withstand that. The GVB cap will fall apart if you heat it like that (I tested this on two GVBs with the same result). With the MVB I could heat it like that and put the torch away before hitting it, using only the retained heat in the metal cap to vape. It's pretty cool for what it costs, but I lost interest in it when I got my Vapocane.

OhTheAgony,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I think I used my big torch for that :evil:

Heat the cap evenly around the hole, the nipple itself, the inside of the hole, everywhere. It doesn't have to become glowing red, just torch that sucker good for 40 seconds or so (for starters, I don't remember the exact time but I posted it somewhere in either this or the MVB thread if you want to look it up) and then put the torch away and inhale. I got thick dense clouds and a dark brown ABV that way. Stir after every hit.

Have fun mate :tup:

OhTheAgony,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Grabbed one of these for 7 euro and wanted to do a quick review.

The Metal-Vapobowl (MVB) is a very small item coming with the bowl and cap and no instructions. I don't have any metal downstems but had a 14 to 18 mm expander which fits the metal bowl perfectly and allows for easy chamber clearing for bongs without carb.

The use is very straight forward. Load bowl, put on cap and then inhale flame through opening in cap. It does work with a normal lighter but I found it took about 5 hits before it had warmed up and vapor was produced. With a torch lighter it is very effective. You have to be careful with your flame distances, but a bit of practice and it works a treat.

The taste is quite nice using the torch lighter, not amazing but good. The cap does get very hot, and the bowl too, so a pair of tweezers is absolutely necessary to remove the cap and stir during use. I find a stir every 2 hits for the first few is fine then every hit as the bowl is ending to ensure no scorching or hot spots.

I think it's a great back-up vape for someone on a budget. Of course you would need a water piece - or as posted above you could get a cheap pipe. I used the cap only in a 18.8mm bowl with great success also using a screen to bring the herb closer to cap.

Here's a vid of it in action with the metal bowl in a 14.4-18.8mm expander.

J.R.R.Tokin',
Reactions: OhTheAgony

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Have been playing around with the Vaporstar. I won't do a review of it as it uses the same cap as the Vapo-bowl. The only thing I'll say about the two is that the Vaporstar heats up quicker due to the wood body so is much better with a normal lighter - it can be extremely easy to burn with a torch. I like that it comes with some sort of packaging, instructions and the tweezers are a nice touch. Also the wood affects the taste of the inhale - not sure if that will fade with time.

Here's a quick vid of the Vaporstar in action.

J.R.R.Tokin',

anon08

Modnote: The following 9 posts were merged into this thread.

Hello, i just got into vaping after hearing all these good critics. So i went ahead and bought a Vapobowl because there was a thread about it stating how good it was compared to vaporstar.
The bowl arrived today, however there are two things that make me worry. When i try to fit the metal diffuser on top of the glass bowl, it won't go all the way down. Instead it will go halfway in, althought this does create a seal, i am not quite sure if it is meant to be this way.
Another thing is that many members were advocating on removing the mesh from inside the diffuser by tapping a screw throught the nipple of the diffuser. However there seems to be something inbetween the mesh and screw and i can't get it throught.
Can somebody please shed some light?

anon08,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Oh no, your using the screw from the wrong end. You'll wreck it if you keep trying, there's a metal plate in there too that needs to stay in place for it to function. I think they were using a screw from the other end just to get a grip on the screen, and then pull it out with pliers or something. I didn't find it an improvement at all without the screen to be honest.

Torch that fucker good from both ends before you use it btw, I found some sort of oily residue on mine like I mentioned in the GVB (Glass Vapo Bowl) thread as well.

It could need a little more heat if the cap doesn't fall all the way in to the bowl, but it doesn't have to be an issue at all. Just give it a try if you're not put off by my oily residue remark. If it does turn out to be an issue you'll have to exchange it under warranty I'm afraid.

What kind of lighter are you using?

OhTheAgony,
Top Bottom