Filtered 'bowl' vapes

My previous post has been completely nuked and rewritten based on the fact that my initial impressions were mostly all wrong.

Update: I've made a video of the vapobowl in use for the forum's use only: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glByVqeFKRg

1001740v.th.jpg

The glass vapobowl is a European or Asian "knock off" of the vaporstar vaporizer, and is distinct in several ways. I will say here, because it's essential, that both should have their diffuser screens removed upon delivery, and both should be used with jet lighters as opposed to bic-type lighters. Bics not only work less effectively, they deposit soot and taste like shit.

Differences

-Glass versus wood bowl
-2 height position for the screen to be set at, versus one
-A more efficient diffuser IMO
-Available in 14.4 and 18.8, versus a 14.4 which also fits in a 7mm grommeted piece.
-Vaporstar can be had for about 30-35 shipped to US, vapobowl for 27-35 to US.
-Vaporstar can be found at larger, more trustworthy, less blatantly psychedelic websites, as of this post.

I have both and have found the glass vapobowl to be far superior, mostly on the basis of the first two points. There is a compete absence of wood flavor when using the vapobowl, something which bothered me on almost every hit out of the vaporstar. The vaporstar required the jet lighter be arched across the intake at a 90 degree angle, just so you wouldn't set the bowl aflame. The all glass nature of the vapobowl means you can use a 25-45 degree angle, aiming it at a deflected angle into the intake, which works far better. I can say that the GonG joint is actually very thick (if you take the time to notice or have blown glass, the actual joint qualities and thicknesses vary alot) and the bowl is expertly made, the superfluous "Vapo-Bowl" etching flawlessly applied, the ice pinches equal and even and well relaxed after they were pressed in.

Honestly, my vaporstar lives in a box now, and the vapobowl is used in a rotation with the DBV, Herbalaire, and mflb. I find that the 18.8 mm joint is now my preferred and so that is another edge over the vaporstar: my argument is that 18.8 to 14mm converters are inexpensive and mount almost completely flush, while a 14 - 18.8 is inherently more expensive and sticks out like a sore thumb.

Edit: I would no longer say definitely that the Glass VB is my "favorite vape," it still has a place but competes with the HA, MW, and Glass VG.

Drawback of the vapobowl:

- As far as I know, this is a faceless, nameless, email-ess company. We don't even have an assurance as to what the metal cap is made of, and it does bother me. We can hope for stainless steel, but who knows? Vaporstar has a big edge here.
-If you want to count it, it's as fragile as any other GonG bowl, while vaporstar is wood. The trade off in performance is so big I don't even blink at this.

Other vaporizers to consider along these lines would the Vapocane, the vaporpro, the glass vaporgenie and the elusive Cleardome flame filter.

02/11 addition :
Cold Start Instructions: I now advocate blasting the metal heat cap with the jet flame for 5 or 7 seconds without inhaling before I begin to inhale. This preheats it nicely and leaves you with a bare minimum of unnecessary air in your lungs. Unless the bowl is massive I think the material is in no danger of really vaping whatsoever while you aren't inhaling.

Very hard to say, honestly.

There's the ethical issue, first and foremost. There's the glassbowl vs woodbowl issue, the lower temperatures leading to less likelyhood of urning (+) AND less heat so extracts are a bitch to work with (-). So, taste and ethical issues should prevail in your choice I guess.

edit: vapobowl, 100%

charliedontsurf,

Bananiq

Welcome,
its nice to see somebody who has vaporstar and vapo-bowl, thanks for the review.
charliedontsurf said:
So, it's hotter. Noticably, annoyingly hotter - and it's also more difficult to combust or overvaporize material.
I quite dont understand this, so when its hotter it should be easy to combust ....

U know the metal vapo-bowl cost in our local headshop 3 Euros, in contrast to Azarius where they got it for 7.50 .... strange pricing

Bananiq,
Bananiq said:
Welcome,
its nice to see somebody who has vaporstar and vapo-bowl, thanks for the review.
charliedontsurf said:
So, it's hotter. Noticably, annoyingly hotter - and it's also more difficult to combust or overvaporize material.
I quite dont understand this, so when its hotter it should be easy to combust ....

U know the metal vapo-bowl cost in our local headshop 3 Euros, in contrast to Azarius where they got it for 7.50 .... strange pricing

Think of it in terms where the vaporstar is better at just waving through all the hot air, while the vapobowl cap hassles it alot a long the way - it needs to be heated more so it doesn't suck up the heat, and more heat needs to be applied even after that fact to get the same level of vapor.

I'm at the point of using jet lighters on both now, due to better flavor and more efficient fuel use. The Vapocap is nice because I don't have to worry about turning a wood bowl into a raging inferno.

What kind of headshop? Like in the US or in Europe? I've been meaning to check out Berkeley's Telegraph ave for some vapo stuff, I haven't been there in years now.

Update one month later: vaporstar lives in a box, vapobowl is a constant fixture. Superior product despite being a knockoff (I presume this is true). Other drawbacks are nameless company so uncertain composition of metal cap and the like and no support, as well as being difficult to find online.

charliedontsurf,

george

Charliedontsurf

Do you know anywhere that has the glass vapo-bowl in stock? And ships to the US. Is the metal vapo-bowl worth it if i cant get the glass one?

george,
I just searched my email and cant find it. It was some company in the Netherlands with very little in the way of smoking stuff, it was, shadily enough and I wish it wasn't, spores and shit like that. Keep hunting, you'll find them. It's like 16+8 shipping to US, a steal, but there's no screen for some silly reason. Make sure you remove the screen from the top metal cap immediately, it tastes like crap and retards airflow.

Wish I bought like 4

charliedontsurf,

george

Was it AvalonMagicPlants.com ?

I can get it for about $30 shipped from here. Not even sure if this would be worth it though. I'm looking for a vaporizer to use with my bong in the mean time till the VXC comes out.

george,
george said:
Was it AvalonMagicPlants.com ?

I can get it for about $30 shipped from here. Not even sure if this would be worth it though. I'm looking for a vaporizer to use with my bong in the mean time till the VXC comes out.

That was them. And it is totally, totally worth it at that price.

Honestly, if the shipping stays the same, buy two. It is 100% worth the expense with shipping, I use the vapobowl daily, and I think it blows the vaporstar out of the water in about 4 different ways.

REMOVE THE SCREEN OUT OF THE METAL CAP THE INSTANT YOU GET IT. It may take some wrestling.

Avalon shipped fast too, btw, to my surprise. Like 6 days to US.

charliedontsurf,

stinkmeaner

Charliedontsurf, you really seem to like those lighter powered vaporizers by glancing at your signature.

What is your opinion on the metal top of the VapoBowl?
I wonder how hot it gets after a few rounds with a constant lighter, maybe you can take the temperature if you have a thermometer.

Since you ordered from Europe, have you heard of the Vapocane? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mYoAfslZEI I am always surprised that people keep buying Vaporstars, HD Vapes, and now this Vapobowl but nobody talks about this Vapocane which looks a superior design since you can heat the glass and vaporize from residual heat which works more like a traditional electric vaporizer in that aspect.

stinkmeaner,

george

Thanks for the quick help Charliedontsurf

I ordered it just now. Looking forward to reviewing it

george,
stinkmeaner said:
Charliedontsurf, you really seem to like those lighter powered vaporizers by glancing at your signature.

What is your opinion on the metal top of the VapoBowl?
I wonder how hot it gets after a few rounds with a constant lighter, maybe you can take the temperature if you have a thermometer.

Since you ordered from Europe, have you heard of the Vapocane? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mYoAfslZEI I am always surprised that people keep buying Vaporstars, HD Vapes, and now this Vapobowl but nobody talks about this Vapocane which looks a superior design since you can heat the glass and vaporize from residual heat which works more like a traditional electric vaporizer in that aspect.

It gets hot as shit. I'm sporting a burn mark on my arm for 1 and a half weeks straight now from trying to reach past a hot vapobowl cap on the table. Tweezers are a must, or I guess you could really take your time with it - 60 or 90 seconds would be fine.

Yeah the vapocane is very interesting, it's just a little expensive and so I've always held off. I am indeed a huge fan of lighter-based vapes, you're very right about that. You know it's funny, I actually had some mild vapocane like vaporization with the 18mm vapor adaptor from Glassmansdoll (like 9 bucks) and the remade vaporpro bowl I got from SimpleGlassTubes (like 20). I'm scared to just superheat the vapor adaptor like the vapocane alternate method but you can get very decent vapor by point the jet lighter into the hole at the end.

I think I love the lighter based vapes because I love glass, being a long time collector and a novice glass blower in my youth.

The absolutebest lighter based vape appears to be clear dome's flame filter, shown in a youtube I can't dig up now but is available on this site. Based on that video, it's completely tits, and completely 100% glass.

Cleardome has fallen off the face of the earth and all my inquiries have gone unanswered.

charliedontsurf,

george

^^^

yaaa i saw that while i was searching the interwebs for a good price.

george,

The Shrike

As a new convert to vaporising, and being an ex-smoker, I researched carefully on this site before deciding on a Vaporstar. I prefered the idea of being in control of the whole process, as opposed to a gadget doing it for me.

I was amazed at how high I got for the same amount of material, and also how much cooler it was. I used it with a glass bong. Because of this, I was very interested in this review of the glass Vapo-Bowl, and decided to get one.

So, having also used both the Vaporstar and the Vapo-Bowl, I thought I would add my own thoughts on them.

To me personally, (and everyone likes different sorts of highs,) the Vaporstar certainly does the job, and gives a clean "head" high which doesn't touch the body - you can go about your everyday business without difficulty. This was OK, but not what I was used to from my "smoking" days, and I just put it down to the vape high being "different." Then I read this review and some other comments about the Vapo-Bowl, and ordered one from Germany, (I'm in the UK.)

The very first time I used it, the high was just like I remembered, head and body, except much more so.
With this, I get as ripped as taking 2 or 3 joints in the bad old days, and it comes on really smoothly.
All I can say is, if you want to emulate the old way and feeling, this is certainly the business.

Like the OP, I haven't touched the Vaporstar since, as the Vapo-Bowl gives me exactly what I was looking for, and it's cheaper! I hope this helps some of you to decide as this site helped me to decide.

To the OP - following your advice on removing the screen, I've just done so, and was surprised to find mine had a solid screen on top with a mesh screen below. I had found the Vapo-Bowl a bit more difficult to draw through and now I know why! Was yours the same? Haven't tried it this way yet, though.

Also, could you please explain where you put your screen in the bowl - at the bottom, or higher up on the notches? Thanks for your review, which put me personally on the right track.

The Shrike,

stinkmeaner

charliedontsurf said:
Yeah the vapocane is very interesting, it's just a little expensive and so I've always held off. I am indeed a huge fan of lighter-based vapes, you're very right about that. You know it's funny, I actually had some mild vapocane like vaporization with the 18mm vapor adaptor from Glassmansdoll (like 9 bucks) and the remade vaporpro bowl I got from SimpleGlassTubes (like 20). I'm scared to just superheat the vapor adaptor like the vapocane alternate method but you can get very decent vapor by point the jet lighter into the hole at the end.

I think I love the lighter based vapes because I love glass, being a long time collector and a novice glass blower in my youth.

The absolutebest lighter based vape appears to be clear dome's flame filter, shown in a youtube I can't dig up now but is available on this site. Based on that video, it's completely tits, and completely 100% glass.

Cleardome has fallen off the face of the earth and all my inquiries have gone unanswered.

Did you post a picture of the remade Vapobowl and adapters from SimpleGlassTubes and Glassmansdoll? If you haven't I would love to see them.

I have not used the Vapocane but I have talked to someone online who has and they love it. I will make some more purchases after Christmas so I don't feel bad spending on myself, the Vapocane seems like a nice fit to go with my Supreme Vape which is another great lighter based vape that I can recommend wholeheartedly. See the best thing about vapes like the GlassVape, Supreme & Vapocane is that you can heat the whole thing up and vaporize from the retained heat, this equals no butane inhalation. As for the CD Filter, why do you think it is the best? Just because he posted a video on here? I have said this before that the CD flame filter is designed in the same way the HD Vape so you still have to inhale butane, I don't see how it could be best. Besides he only made like 4-5 of them and each one was un-uniform in shaping which is not good when dealing with something as delicate as flame diffusion because different sizes are obviously going to result in different vaping experiences. As for the price, I tell you it is worth it but I can say it is worth more than a Vapobowl just for the fact that the company that makes Vapocane is Hurricane Bongs which are have been high end glass for years and have a great reputation, similar to Roor they are really popular in Europe. Also it looks like it comes with a Downstem and a lighter which in itself downstems are known to cost what the same as the whole set.

stinkmeaner,

george

The Shrike,

thanks for the info/review. you got me more excited to recieve mine. Im still a smoker (which is generally frowned upon here) so it's nice to hear that it emulates smoking in some way. I hope i'll be combustion free after i get mine. The MFLB and Vapo-bowl should be a nice combo.

The issue with taking out the screen is still confusing me, but i'm sure it'll make more sense once i have it in my hands.

george,

george

:lol: My MFLB made me come up with this brilliant idea!

Could you use the Vapo-bowl or Vaporstar with a hakko or "the herb iron"?? I'm thinkking there might be an issue if you make contact between the ceramic heating and the tip of the diffuser, but what if you hold the heating element right above it?

Charliedontsurf have you tried this?

george,
Never tried a soldering iron with vaporstar or vapobowl - I don't have access to one I would feel comfortable inhaling near. I'd love to hear how it works.

Top or bottom screen setting?

Top for extracts, top for dry material if you have a bic lighter. Bottom for dry material with a jet lighter. It's worth noting that the 2 positions for the screen in the vapobowl is another reason why it is superior to the vaporstar, which has only one.

A good jet lighter makes the vapobowl SO MUCH BETTER than a bic - your traditional lighters should be banished to backup status.

That's cool they make a 14.4mm one now, not that I'll ever buy anything in that small size ever again, but still, it's nice.

charliedontsurf,

The Shrike

I've now used my Vapo-Bowl with the screen removed from the metal cap, and charliedontsurf is absolutely right yet again.

It is much easier to draw through, as the airflow is no longer restricted.

The taste is cleaner - almost no taste.

It is much easier and quicker to get the material up to temperature on initial lighting, and also on subsequent re-lights. (Although being too greedy did cause me to combust at the end!)

You could say that removing the cap screen makes the Vapo-Bowl more efficient, and easier to use. You don't have to suck hard at all, less heat is required so less lighter fuel is used, and I felt the high was a bit better too - (not that there was anything wrong with it in the first place!)

To remove it, get a long thin screw, (electrical type - same width all the way down,) that will go through the hole at the top of the cap. Then tap the screw firmly with a hammer. This forces the screen down to the bottom, where you can prise it out.

Oh, something which may be of interest to some of you. I'm in a rural area, so can only get hold of hash/solid, and the Vapo-Bowl handles it no problem.

George - you will not regret your purchase, I assure you! Thanks for your comments.

The Shrike,
Stinkmeaner, I know it's just a video, we never get to see the material dumped out to see how even its vaporizing, you're still inhaling butane, and anything handmade is going to have real inconsistencies unit to unit: but damn, it looks to work well. My optimism may be a bit much I'll admit, it just looks excellent and I'm all for a 100% glass vaporizing solution. The supreme seems pretty damn awesome - as does the LSV at this point, if they take the price down. On the GMD adaptors, you can see them here: http://www.etsy.com/transaction/35966098 The SGT vaporpro replacement bowls were never photographed, nor were the 2 downstems which he sent me, FOR FREE. His shipping prices are better than your average Etsy artist by far too.

I'm glad other people are enjoying the vapobowl as much as me, it's honestly my primary vape at this point. Volcano for groups of the unwashed and unlearned, vapobowl for friends and myself at home, MFLB on the go. After seeing the MFLB as in its acronym form so much I can't help but think of it as the "mother-fuckin'-flight-box," and it's kind of become an affectionate term.

Bio: I haven't used the vaporpro all that much since getting the replacement bowls honestly. You have to draw a flame through a stainless steel screen (or TWO of them by manufacturers rec.) which is something I'd sooner avoid. I think the vaporbowl is superior on terms of price, smaller less-fragile form factor, health and efficiency, provided the cap is 100% stainless steel and we're not all inhaling the worst the Chinese industrial complex can provide. Vaporpro doesn't get hot enough not to handle with your hands generally, which is a point.

charliedontsurf,

george

Just got the vapo-bowl in the mail. Can't get the damn screen out :/ any suggestions charliedontsurf? ill keep going at it though

george,
george said:
Just got the vapo-bowl in the mail. Can't get the damn screen out :/ any suggestions charliedontsurf? ill keep going at it though

It was about 3 hours in the doing all told, honestly. Try to enlarge a hole in the center, then find a metal or plastic screw where the threads start well far down the tip - push in, twist, try and try and try, and it'll come.

I strongly suggest you resist the urge to use it before you remove it - it left a nasty patina-looking, oil-slick-alike appearance on the bottom of the cap for months. I don't know why anyone would use unburnt screens for anything related to human ingestion.

charliedontsurf,

george

thanks that's a good idea.

ps. I laughed when i opened the package up, seemed kind of funny because the ONLY thing in the package was the vapo-bowl in a little plastic baggie along with packing foam. I always expect some papers/order confirmations and what not when i order something online.

george,
Top Bottom