• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Figured I'd start a beer thread...my 5 favourite beers

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Guess this was kinda sparked by the MJ connisseur thread. I used to brew my own beer, and liked the results. As my house fills up with clutter and aquariums it's kinda difficukt, so I buy 'top shelf' (I like that term) beer.

My 5 favourite beers (in no particular order)

1. Bell's Sour Cherry Stout
2. Surly Furious Double IPA
3. Rogue Old Crustacean Barleywine
4. Sieera Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine
5. Sam Adams Imperial Pilsener

Last night I had 3 beer; 1) Cannery Maple Stout, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and a Tangerine Wheat Beer by Lost Coast Brewing. Oh, and I think this is a British thing (I'm Canadian, but my parents were English/Scottish/Irish), but I drink my beer at or near rom temperature. Perhaps slightly colder for really bitter beers (that accentuates the bitterness). Drinking beers at room temperature highlights a lot of the flavour notes.

Just my rambling 2 cents.

Tom

Frickr

mine has to be
1. becks
2. st pauli girl
3. fat tire
4. red stripe
5. old milwaukee
6. mickeys
7. boulevard unfiltered wheat with a little lemmon squeezed in it

im not much for the big name domestics. they all taste like water to me. whenever i drink, its usually one of those kinds. i like alot of different beers though.

chucku

Charles Urbane
Damn there are so many superior brews it is almost impossible to limit it to a top 20. But I do like the following quite a bit and of course if can be found on tap.

1. Bell's Third Coast (beer not ale)
2. Goose Island Honkers Ale
3. Pilsner Urquell
4. Hacker Pschorr Weiss
5. Negra Modelo
6. Dortmunder Union

Plotinus

My beer list is informed by flavor as well as price, being an underpaid nonprofit worker in an expensive city...

Harp - Favorite midrange beer, smooth and flavorful without being overpowering
PBR - Favorite cheap beer by far
Magic Hat #9 - Another great midrange beer, love the fruity taste
Red Oak lager - A microbrewery from my hometown, still drink it whenever I get the chance: http://www.redoakbrewery.com/home.php
I'm also a big fan of pretty much any of the Rogue ales.

potbelly

1. dogfish head 90 minute (sold in 4 packs only, 9%abv) all i need is 2 of these and i'm good!
2. dogfish head 60 minute (7%abv)
3. sweetwater 420 (yes it is a beer, brewed here in the ATL)
4. sweetwater festive (can only find it around the holidays, some place stock up for the year)
5. bass ale

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Great thread :D I dig it.

I still brew and I would say that my brews are my favs (or they eventually get there)

But as far as commercial brews go -

1. Rogus XS IIPA - Damn this was awesome it blew my expectations.
2. Bells 2 hearted ale - from what I remember this was the chart topper
3. DFH 90 - Toss up between this and the B2H Smooth and deelish. Nicely balanced
4. Lindeman Lambics - Alot of the purist/homebrewer lambic drinkers say that this isnt really a lambic. I dont care I enjoyed it.
5. Brooklyn Black Choco Stout - This is what got me into brewing the occasional choco stout

There are so many yummy beers out there, Its more of a target style is a fav for me (IPAs) :)

Frickr

Flyer said:
frickr, right up till old milwaukee, that is quite a pull away from what you have listed, whew, and no pbr?:p
i had to put that up there. ive been drinking that old man beer since highschool. and for the price of it, it does have a great taste. when i dont want to buy the 9 dollar six packs, i pick up a 12 of these for like 7. plus i love the fact, that when i do buy it, i can leave it in a friends fridge and know noone will touch the stuff! :lol: i had a case sitting in one friends fridge for almost a few weeks. every time i'd come over, i'd always have a beer sitting there haha.

Frickr,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Lotta awesome beers. Thanks for posting the names. It looks like I'll have a lot to collect/try when I get back to the States Juneish or so. Anyone try Summit from Minneapolis or been to The Firehouse Brewing Company in Rapid City, South Dakota (this place has great food by the way)?

@Frickr Fat Tire is good, lots of great beers from New Belgium in Ft Collins, Co. Had some German black beer from them on tap in 2000. Quick off question; is Happy Harry's the best place to buy microbrews in North/South Dakota if you know?

Tom

tdavie,

Frickr

tdavie said:
Lotta awesome beers. Thanks for posting the names. It looks like I'll have a lot to collect/try when I get back to the States Juneish or so. Anyone try Summit from Minneapolis or been to The Firehouse Brewing Company in Rapid City, South Dakota (this place has great food by the way)?

@Frickr Fat Tire is good, lots of great beers from New Belgium in Ft Collins, Co. Had some German black beer from them on tap in 2000. Quick off question; is Happy Harry's the best place to buy microbrews in North/South Dakota if you know?

Tom
i guess i havent heard of happy harrys before. just turned 21, so havent got around to much. but i see its in fargo and grandforks, next time im up that way i may have to check them out if they do have a good selection. i havent been able to find to many microbrews in this area. im going to check out that firehouse brewing next trip to rapid for snowboarding, i have heard of that place before just forgot about it.

Frickr,

jimbo

winterize
I`m not too adventurous...
1. Red Stripe
2. Corona
3. Steam Whistle
4. Sleeman's Cream Ale
5. Becks

Time to start trying some different brews :D

Ihop

Guinness Dark Draft
Rolling Rock
Sam Adams Boston Lager
Dos Equis
Newcastle Brown Ale
Depending on the mood I'm going for.

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
*excluding homebrews:
Bruery - Papier Quadrupel (shout out to Black Tuesday though)
Brew Dog - Paradox Scotch Barrel Stout (any, but I'd pick Isle of Arran or Smokehead if I had to choose)
Russian River - Damnation (BATCH 23--11% special release) or Pliny the Younger DIPA or Veritos (they couldn't hog more than one spot though)
Alesmith - Old Numbskull Barleywine or Bourbon Barrel-Aged Speedway Stout (or a black n tan)
Beer Valley - Leafer Madness fresh hop IPA or Black Flag Imperial Stout or Highway to Ale Barleywine

I knew this was going to be a tough list to compile when I realized that I was going to be knocking the Westvleteren 12 off of it (my list may still change).

edit: Three Floyds - DARK LORD 2010!

#6? Founders - Kentucky Breakfast Stout?

indigal

Amongst the corn
Besides my friends homebrews.. geeze I need to take up this hobby..

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse
Hitachino Nest White Ale (also the red rice ale is great)
Hoppin Frog- anything
Bells Oberon
Morland Hen's Tooth

There are so many though, this is just the regulars that I grab more often.

niall

Hmmm got to represent some semblance of Aussie beers then ;)

Fat Yak
Little Creatures Bright Ale
(I wish we got some decent APA's down here)
Corona (hard to go past it with our Summers)
VB (tinnies or by the jug)
and anything by Monteiths (New Zealand)

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
@Niall I've had Vic Bitters. One favourite Au beer is Coopers Sparkling Ale. Have you tried that one?

Tom

tdavie,

chucku

Charles Urbane
Mackesson Triple Stout (no longer available in the U.S.)
Three Floyds Robert the Bruce Ale
McAuslen out of Quebec makes a wonderful pale brew with a reverse cascade like a stout
Bohemia
anything from Capitol Brewing of Madison, WI

niall

tdavie said:
@Niall I've had Vic Bitters. One favourite Au beer is Coopers Sparkling Ale. Have you tried that one?
Yeah Coopers Sparkling is ok, their Pale Ale is a longtime favorite of mine but we've had an explosion of boutique beers down here in the last 5 years so there's plenty of new ones to distract you from the usuals :)

niall,

Frickr

just thought i'd share my collection of bottles i have collected since i turned 21. not all the kinds i have drank, but the ones i have bought and saved. ;) the august schell beer bottls up there, i DO NOT reccomend anyone try schell beers.. hands down THE WORST tasting beer i have ever had. i got a mixer pack and i could only drink 2 of them, the other ones i ended up taking a sip of spitting it out and pouring down the sink.

one brewery i forgot to mention in my last post is leinenkugel. i havent tried one i dont like from them.

102_0807.jpg

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
@Frickr. I noticed you had leinenkugel Octoberfest and Blue Moon (Belgian White?). Those are favs of mine, and I usually pick up some Blue Moon whenever I get to Grand Forks.

Tom

tdavie,

Frickr

tdavie said:
@Frickr. I noticed you had leinenkugel Octoberfest and Blue Moon (Belgian White?). Those are favs of mine, and I usually pick up some Blue Moon whenever I get to Grand Forks.

Tom
i wish i could still get the octoberfest being seasonal and all, its excellent. i also love the honeywiess from them. theres just to many damn good beers out there its hard to narrow it down to just a small list haha. the hornsbys i have up there too is also really good. not beer, but hard cider. i like the amberdraft, the crisp apple is just a little too sweet for me, but the amber tastes like an apple flavored beer. not sweet by any means, but i highly reccomend everyone thats a beer fan to try some hard cider if you havent already.

Frickr,
Top Bottom