Few questions for large-ish ABV coconut oil infusion

flamingjoints

I'm sitting on 35g ABV from a Pax on medium and I plan on saving up until I hit 50g.
I want to make a large batch of abv-infused coconut oil oil for infusion into hot drinks and gel caps

I have a crock pot I plan to place a jar of coconut oil/abv sitting in water on LOW temp, my questions are how much oil and how long? I have a digital thermometer and plan to monitor the temp to keep it at 160 degrees (that's what the magic butter machine does???) for 2 days. My question is, if I cook longer, lets say I cook a week, will my oil be stronger? I don't really care about taste, I plan to water wash my oil after the infusion, but will potency increase? I am aware of some degeneration of cannabinoids to CBN (I think) and I just don't know what exactly I'm shooting for as far as cook time. This is a chemical reaction after all!

Thanks in advance!!

flamingjoints,

puddleglum

I'm not super-duper experienced with edibles, but let me give you a couple of tips from my limited experience:

1. The longer you cook, the more sedative and couchlock will be the effects. I get the most "high" from ABV when I don't slow-cook it into oil at all (just grind it up and add to food). 2 days in the slow cooker will probably make some nice "lights out" medicine for when you have insomnia, pain, stress, etc. but is not optimal if you are aiming for a "head high" effect.

2. I'm not sure what you mean by "water wash" but oil and water don't mix. ;)

puddleglum,

zor

I usually do 24-36hr infusions with ABV and coconut oil in my crockpot water bath, subjective anecdotal observation hasn't discerned a difference with longer cook times but there are a buttload of variables to consider, so take it as you will. Not sure about the water washing part either.

I try to use as little oil as possible to maximize the concentration of ABV per volume of oil; I prefer my edible doses to be as strong as possible. One thing people suggest is just enough oil to cover your material, I like to add just a little more to ensure full saturation and a more liquid than sludge consistency.

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
IME cooking at a temperature that is not high enough to degrade THC to CBN is will provide the most heady results.

certifiednub

Typically when I infuse coconut oil Ill use between 50-60g abv (from Volcano digi and Pax vaped below 400) with 14fl oz of oil. I've used the crockpot method in the past, but I feel I have much better results on an open stove, mainly due to temp control. I think 160 degrees is way too low, normally I try and stay below 250 degrees for most of the cooking period. I will start at lower a temp (around 150) and slowly increase the temp as I stir every 15-20 min without letting it get over 250 deg. Ill do this for 3-4 hrs, with the last hour being at 250 deg, before I strain everything out with cheese cloth. I also add sunflower lecithin at the start, 5-6 tbsp. I have made a batch in the past without the lecithin, but I feel that it increases potency and delivery time.

I use 1/3 cup of infused oil to make very effective batches of brownies and I also add the oil to 00 gel capsules, usually taking between 2-4 at a time. Never disappointed

Top Bottom