FC Suggestion/Idea Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
partially veiled said:
vtac said:
Yeah, I've been slacking on this- some topics are kind of borderline between the two forums. Contrary to what some people would have you believe, we're definitely open to suggestion/changes here. We even have a little approval system for major changes. Basically it has to be something that's widely agreed upon as being a good idea. Subforums for every vaporizer was not. :)
Not really an issue in my eyes, vtac. I love this place immensely as is and think it's best to sit back and watch it grow organically. Besides that, I likes ya and want to let a man do his work the way he sees fit. Lord knows I've got my own work to do. Not that I wouldn't help a hand in need.

Anyway, all I'm drawing attention to is the fact that our appeal and breadth of discussion will soon overlap our forum layout, causing too much confusion and disorganization (IMO), unless we try to dedicate the Vapor Lounge to be our more wide ranging space. I think the concept of having at least two main directories dedicated entirely to vaporization topics, one for techniques and one for units/technologies etc., makes complete sense. We should have at least that much dedicated as wholly as we can manage to vaporization discussion. I love the OTD as much as anyone, and am perhaps more guilty of rambling and wandering than most, but I see this place expanding right in front of me...so having a "vapor only" area of the forums is pretty logical, if we indeed want to stand out as a "special place" with unique information (besides, that seems to have been the initial intention of your set up..?). I realize it all has to be done with a gentle touch, and I don't envy you there...no one wants to turn this place into a Police State...I mean, if you look at it in context this whole post I've just written is "off-topic", yet it's on topic, at least moving in a logical direction from where the conversation had headed. As I've stated before, I think the notion of total control is simply ludacris and unrealistic, so let's all be ourselves...but to make FC stand out as "the" place to get informed opinion on vaporization technique and technology, let's try hard to keep those two forums relatively focused... I'll try really hard too, and besides that I promise I'll try hard to be more concise! That's like, enemy number one for me...uuuugh. Yet I love FC and want to see it get the attention it deserves, so I will try hard to keep it kosher for ya lads and ladies (do we have any active ladies, anyway? I see Pammy-Days is a new member as of today! Woot!). :p
It's tough, I'm not sure how broad a spectrum this place should cover, it is a vaporizer/vaporization/vapor forum after all. Take growing for example, sure it would be cool to talk and read about that here in our own little forum, but there are tons of forums out there that already cover that and do it well. Can we do it better here? Should we?

I tend to agree with max, that volatile topics like religion and politics are best left elsewhere, we want to keep the vibe here fun for everyone! Off topic stuff will require more moderation. Things are moving fast and keeping things organized is going to be important. Lots of things to consider, and I'm too tired to really think about it. :)

vtac,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
This post reserved for future use.

Keep it civil, guys! That means you, spyder. Haha just kidding, dude. ;) ,,,

vtac,

Cannabudz

apprentice shaman
To Be Utterly Honest P_V I for one, Dont Want Kosher Bro, (I would say that i guess :lol: ) but Seriously what makes this Forum such a Joy is "US" all the Contributor's and there Various Styles, The point is were all here for a common Reason, Pursuing A common Purpose, Without Fear of our Acivities,Cautious Perhaps,But Generally were a Pretty Defiant lot without the Fuck the Police stuff, I think were above that Bullshit, Clearly were amonst Intellegent People with Clear Intent, A wonderfull thing IMO.

For the record i Make No effort to Disguise my Activities or Interest on the net, I'M Proud to have the opinions i Dare to Share, Although Clearly not everones Cup of Tea, For instance i dont believe in Land ownership pretty out there for an anglo Nigga hey :lol: :tup:

Cannabudz,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
My :2c:

I know the idea of subforums has been expelled, as the forum grows I think it should be re-considered. Either that or take time to build a few sticky threads on the popular models that have gone past a 5 page thread.

I could see extreme users enjoying an extreme thread with topics on the different delivery methods, vapping temps for different generations of E's.

The PD thread could benefit from this as well or at least a sticky containing the relevant info. I know I wanna post how great my PD is everytime I hit it. But it seems even the vapor lounge is becoming squeezed as to what should and shouldn't be posted there. To me thats a place for threads of any nature. Its a random thread area and even threads about politics/religion/growing could (should?) be allowed as long as its known that they are open topics and only moderated for abusive comments not actual on topic content. The vapor lounge is a place to 'Hang Out' a member area to chill and shot the breeze ... talk shit about anything!!! Thats how communities grow because as members get to know each we quite like sharing our day to day shit too ... being that its a forum about MJ most member will be cagy about anything personal.

But of course this all takes time and effort ... and I imagine Vtac didn't think his forum would grow to over 5000 posts in 8 less than a year. If the interest continues sub forums or member contributing stickies will become a must.

vaporcloud,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
I know the idea of subforums has been expelled
Not at all. The idea of subforums for individual models was discussed here and from my count was 'voted' against 8-2.

I could see extreme users enjoying an extreme thread with topics on the different delivery methods, vapping temps for different generations of E's.
That's the way it is now. Do you mean 'enjoying a dedicated Extreme subforum'?

Sorry to nitpick, but I want to be sure on what you're saying.

OK, let's take the best example and argument for model subforums. At 691 posts, "The Extreme Vaporizer Thread Part II" is definitely a lot to sift through. Yes, people are asking questions that have been answered in the 'How to use the Extreme Vaporizer' sticky. Would a dedicated Extreme subforum resolve these issues?

It's been my feeling that a wiki is by nature, a better solution.

Anyway, this is open for discussion.

P.S. Please stop referring to this as 'vtac's forum', I hope it doesn't seem like that. :)

vtac,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
we cant give certain vapes subforums without staring to look like snobs, cause other vapes that people might like wouldnt have their own forums, and they could be pushed away by that. nif we didnt want to look like snobs, we'd have to make like a million subforums... and that definately wouldnt work

the growing and edibles forums sound good

plus an idea of a forum that is even more off topic than the lounge seems good, sort of a free-for-all forum... within reason of course

Acolyte of Zinglon,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
A wiki sounds great!

TBH, I do have to agree with partially_veiled's sentiments about this forums layout being overtaken by it's content. Take for example the Purple-Days thread, I came in their on like, page 11, and just about all, of my questions were answered, albeit buried, in previous pages. The average user, at least in my opinion, neither has the dedication or memory span :lol: to sift through 10+ pages of stuff.

The layout is fine in my opinion. It's simple. It's amazingly simple. That's the genius of it. The information is all right there, at your fingertips -- but it's raw; a bit jumbled up and there is, from what I have experienced, a lot of off-topic discussions -- which is cool, but only if its part of the 'evolution of the topic', and not digressions from stoned minds. :cool:

That's about all I can really say right now -- I'm so stoned it's hard to think. That is what a wand full of KB and heapings of kief will do to you. :brow: I will add that this forum really is great, and I am glad to have found it. I never thought there was as much as there really is -- well, I knew, but didn't know where to start -- to know about vaporizers. This forum has serious potential.

SpiralArchitect,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
It's been my feeling that a wiki is by nature, a better solution.
I agree with you the wiki is a great idea but it needs a lot of work to get it up to a desirable level. And shit I am keen on helping there when time permits.

P.S. Please stop referring to this as 'vtac's forum', I hope it doesn't seem like that.
hahaha for sure ... its our forum. At close to 500 posts I guess I must have contributed the odd gem;)

That's the way it is now. Do you mean 'enjoying a dedicated Extreme subforum'?

Sorry to nitpick, but I want to be sure on what you're saying.
Not nitpiking at all bro! Yes ... Subforums could have dedicated threads to make searching easier. The E forum could have threads on bag delivery, whip delivery, turbo delivery and child delivery (opps wrong forum). Whether FC is big enough for this sort of forum filing is debatable but its growing fast and getting a solid core of reliable intellegent posters.

I know you know about vaporinfo ... it has forums for different models (even if these are the Volcano and Vapir) and I don't consider that forum too cluttered. If you want to look at a forum with to many categories check out thegalaxylounge.org.

I know with the likes of the Extreme thread growing so much we will start getting newbies starting threads asking Q's that are inbedded in a 30 page thread and we will either tell them to use the search function or repeat the answer. Depends on how you like it ... I don't really have an issue with repeating info ... vaps is a passion of mine so happy to re-gugitate info.

Fuck I'm rambling ... and straight (damn work)

vaporcloud,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
SpiralArchitect said:
A wiki sounds great! ... Take for example the Purple-Days thread, I came in their on like, page 11, and just about all, of my questions were answered, albeit buried, in previous pages. The average user, at least in my opinion, neither has the dedication or memory span :lol: to sift through 10+ pages of stuff...
Yep, it's really just the nature of things here and forums and general for threads to span many pages. Hard to get the info you want without reading through it.

Funny you mentioned the PD because new member VapOracle has done a ton of work on the PD wiki page. http://www.vaporpedia.com/wiki/Purple-Days

Should be a much better format for listing/finding detailed info and a good compliment to the discussions here on the forum.

The layout is fine in my opinion. It's simple. It's amazingly simple. That's the genius of it. The information is all right there, at your fingertips -- but it's raw; a bit jumbled up and there is, from what I have experienced, a lot of off-topic discussions -- which is cool, but only if its part of the 'evolution of the topic', and not digressions from stoned minds. :cool:
:)

vtac,

Spiderman

oil baron
Well.....
The idea of having all those little subforums is definitly kinda unnecessary....Who is gonna visit Hotbox 2.0, the subforum?

That being said, we do of course want the site to grow, and it is first and foremost a Canna-site.....
So subforums like growing, cooking, maybe hash and oil, maybe art glass....could all work rather nicely...you just need to come up with topics big enough.

Spiderman,

spyder

vtac said:
This post reserved for future use.

Keep it civil, guys! That means you, spyder. Haha just kidding, dude. ;) ,,,
I'm always civil!! :p

I'm just misunderstood...

1/2 my comments are tongue in cheek..

well the other 1/2... just a guy that has been down this road before.. has more than the normal amount of knowledge about this stuff (not vaporizers..but that knowledge is growing as well)

I see we have a great thing here and if we wait till the dam breaks...explain how we get the water back.

This forum is used more as a chat room then actual information at times..

perhaps we can incorporate that into the site?

I'm just a visionary!! exactly... not a little like but exactly what I have been saying for almost three months!! I was told it's fine the way it is..we like it this way... what changed??

Take this for what it's worth... IF IT DOESN'T CHANGE THIS FORUM WILL DIE.. 100%

Folks will swing through see a mess and go else where.... use it - abuse it and leave...or never find what they are looking for and go elsewhere and never return

The forum is in a vicous cycle of the same questions... same topics (example.. I created a topic about this 3 months ago... why is it closed?? better question, why would be start another topic just like it.

Bottomline...

we have two options

1. do nothing and see what happens and hope for the best
2. swallow the ego and embrace growth

:2c:

Wiki is not the answer... will be a great resource when up and running and full of info...

Just think folks can't put shit in the right spot now.. how does the wiki change things?? there will be shit about the SSV in the Extreme and vise versa.

not that we are... KISS keep it simple stupid.
without guidelines (sub forums) people make their own decisions on where to post shit.

spyder,

marcuss

above the clouds
ehy spyder.....we've got the third option!
If you have been down the road for so long.....mabye now it is time to rest your mind so full of knowledge and go on holiday!
I'm sure when you come back everything will be fine with this forum like before your first step in!

Long life to FUCK COMBUSTION!

P.S. there is another solution......open your own forum and do it like you prefer...but remember your option no.2!!

marcuss,

spyder

Thanks Marcuss.. You contributed absolutely nothing to this thread... way to be part of the problem and not the solution!! :tup:

Try contributing... You might like it? We won't laugh at you if it's silly.. we promise :lol:

It must pain you to see that other folks are starting to seeing the same issues I have mentioned in the past and was offering ideas/thoughts/suggestions to help US embrace the growth of this site as that is the title of this thread "FC SUGGESTIONS, IDEAS"

The other option is there is a definite core of members...like it or not, I'm one :brow:

WE take the matter a little more serious and make sure WE do the right thing and post in the proper spot and when we see others posting in the wrong spot or getting off track... WE educate and encourage.

I think I saw a post or two of folks already doing that... if I recall one of them might have been you Marcuss :tup: Perhaps more of us need to do that..

Part of that option is we start more topics to alleviate the long drawn out threads. which would be the topics under those forbidden sub forums (you guys can't fight it but we ALL know it will happen)(I think half the reason it still being fought is you all know I'm run around doing a victory lap... flashing my ass screaming I TOLD YOU SO!!!) :D

spyder,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Spyder, I'm not sure what to make of you. On the one hand, you contribute some good information and insights. On the other hand, imo, you are the most antagonistic person around here.

I think maybe you're not aware of the difference between communicating in a written forum and in person. You said earlier that you are misunderstood and 1/2 of what you say is tongue in cheek. Unfortunately, tongue in cheek does not translate well to the written forum.

I went back and reread your locked thread on needing subforums. True, you started that thread three months ago, but a lot has changed here in three months...the growth here is closer to being logarithmic than linear. I think your point of needing subforums is more valid today than three months ago, but I'm still not sold that it needs to happen now...but it couldn't hurt and surely it will happen someday. The problem I saw in that thread, however, was that while everyone else stated their opinion that it was fine for now as it is, you continually responded with amazement in a manner that came off as not valuing any opinions but your own.

I'm not yet convinced that you are that arrogant, but you could be. I think most of what you say around here would be positively received if we could be in the same room with you as opposed to reading your words here.

Unfortunately, for me, a lot of the damage is done. Whenever I start to read one of your posts I think 'here we go again.' I've read enough of your posts that read like 'take your head out of your ass', 'I told you so', and 'how can you think that.' It makes it that much harder for me to read your quality posts without some trepidation.

Your post #12 above is the perfect example. The first time I read it I thought 'What a dick.' After reading the next three, however, I cleared my mind and read it again, and I don't think you were trying to be a dick at all...just making some valid points.

Your next post (#15), however, was absolutely dickish. First of all, it's not a sin to make a post that doesn't contribute to the thread...you are as guilty of it as anyone else around here. Secondly, marcuss has been contributing significantly around here long before you stumbled in the door (such as extracting honey oil, modifying the Extreme, and reviewing a number of vaporizers, just to name a few)...and without being a dick about it. If your intentions in that post truly were not antagonistic or mean spirited, then you need to read it again. And if you still don't think you were coming off as an asshole, keep reading it until you get it...because you most certainly were.

Like it or not, you need to take a significant amount of responsibility for the way you come off to others. I would really like to see you communicate differently because I think you have some nuggets in there that we can all benefit from. But if you can't do that, I'd rather see you go or get banned, because your shit is getting old.

stickstones,

max

Out to lunch
IF IT DOESN'T CHANGE THIS FORUM WILL DIE.. 100%
Well I can guarantee that won't happen. A forum doesn't need to grow to survive. The Vaporinfo forum isn't growing, either with new members or posts-not a new post in a month. But it still gets 'guest views' on a daily basis, and that will continue even if nothing is done and no new members join. Why? Because there is still good info there, and some people will take the time to read through a 10 or 20 page thread to find the info they want. Not everyone is lazy. Some are willing to dig. It's called research. By the way, members left that forum in droves just after it was better organized into sub forums. What you'd like to see happen here was done there, and what followed was the death of the forum, as far as active member participation. Sometimes the right answers aren't so easy to come by.

The forum is in a vicous cycle of the same questions... same topics
Nope. That would be the vaporizer section over at marijuana.com. Compared to that vape sub forum, every thread and post here is new and fresh.

Nobody ever said this forum would never change. But just because there's a suggestion thread it doesn't mean that change is imminent either. And any changes made won't necessarily be the ones that you think are so essential, like a sub forum for every vaporizer.

max,

marcuss

above the clouds
spyder said:
Thanks Marcuss.. You contributed absolutely nothing to this thread... way to be part of the problem and not the solution!! :tup:

Try contributing... You might like it? We won't laugh at you if it's silly.. we promise :lol:
We, we....We who?
You are alone man...and you will stay like that for long time here if your way to comunicate your thoughts to each others don't change..... :rolleyes:

Anyway hopefully you are the only one crying for this forum it's don't working instead of keep things civil and clean!
Otherwise improvements are always welcome between civil people and this topic is the proof!

Please help us to maintain this forum enjoiable.....baby sitting and social assistance are not our goal!

marcuss,

DigitalDavinci

Vapohaulic
I'm sure I'll come up with more, but heres and idea for a helpful thread. A "Welcome, Tell us about yourself" sticky thread. That will cut down on the new users (like when I fgirst joined) starting threads like "just wanted to say high", or "Just vaped for the first time!". ALl of those are important to make the new user feel welcome, and introduce ones self. I don't think strating a new thread everytime someone joins is such a good idea. I like the idea of maybe more sticky threads, or subcatagories. Then let the true core/key maker here decide how far the rabbit hole to follow. ;) :2c:

DD

DigitalDavinci,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Yeah an introduction thread might be a good idea. There are existing threads that could pass for one but if someone wants to make a really good new one, go for it.

vtac,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
What about a fuck combustion chat room? Any possibilities on that? It would be nice if it had an 'occupied' feature, so you could tell if someone is in it without logging in yourself, it might attract more members and it can also bring the community together more -- not to mention, the sometimes off-topic, sometimes banter, sometimes 'back-n-forths' etc. can take place there between members wanting to chew the fat... *shrug*

SpiralArchitect,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
If someone wants to make a channel on some secure network, go for it. Haven't done irc in forever. :lol:

vtac,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
I'm not much into chat rooms and dont tend to hang for long, its more read, laugh, post a bit and move on.

And I don't mind spyders posts or ideas even if his delivery puts the wind up some people. Forums can be just dumping grounds for, flaming, abuse etc and thankfully this is certianly not that sort of place.

vaporcloud,

DigitalDavinci

Vapohaulic
I'm very poor at wording things...I was thinking "Welocome new members. Tell us about yourself".

Sounds a bit daft to me. lol

Chatroom would be cool, and a great way to cut down on rambling stonerisms. Sounds great, but I have no idea how to do it. Then I guess it would be easy for me to say. :p

DD

DigitalDavinci,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom