1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

FC against "hackers"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by PPN, May 10, 2019.

1. PPN

PPN Fleurs&Vapeur

Hi, I can see a lot of "hacking" threads created during the chinese business time in order to sell stuff, a lot this days I think... this is a big job for mods to locate and delete all this "spams" I bet... most of the time they come from a one and only post from a newly created member. Maybe you can force people to post in the "Welcome in FC" presentation thread for their first post, like that your job will be easier (especially to locate and maybe to delete if you can delete severals threads in one clic) and it might help to lower the amount of spams...

Is it something doable in the website software (first post in the "welcome in FC presentation thread")?

Thanks

2. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

It was yesterday that the amount of spam exploded expotentially. Usually it's just a couple. It isn't a big job to delete if members report the post. I've been doing it regularly. Yesterday was a nightmare. I made a mistake & shouldn't have flagged them all since it was only 3 or 4 usernames. Should just have reported the names to the mods who could have done a search to delete.

Since the mods don't have administrator(?) priviledges, I don't think that they can do anything about it except delete.

PPN likes this.
  3. Abysmal Vapor

Abysmal Vapor Shaman of The Pyramid of Orlin'Malah

Maybe add someone from Europe to the moderator staff ,so he can mop up during our day hours ?

Madri-Gal, PPN, Gray Area and 4 others like this.
  4. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

@Abysmal Vapor, pak posted this in another thread a few days ago:

Zak McKracken, PPN, Squiby and 2 others like this.
  5. pakalolo

pakalolo RoboMod v4.0a (unstable) Staff Member

Moderators can't make the kind of change proposed. Unfortunately there have been spammers from China and India for some time. There has been an uptick in Chinese activity recently. About one in three manages to complete registration and post something. For some reason, only some of the Chinese spammers spam more than one thread. It is not too hard to spot these but reports help.

Yes, you need only report the spammer name. We don't need to search for the threads because when we ban a spammer the threads are automatically moved to our toxic waste cemetery, which is only visible to moderators.

ClearBlueLou, YaMon, Whisper and 11 others like this.
  6. PPN

PPN Fleurs&Vapeur

I know how to report a post since there is a specific button but how to report only a username? Maybe just pm you...?

YaMon, Madri-Gal and Summer like this.
  7. Stu

Stu Maconheiro Staff Member

If you click on the spammer's name and select "profile page", you'll see an orange "report" option. However it's just as effective to report any one of the spam posts. :2c:

:peace:

ClearBlueLou, YaMon, Jill NYC and 7 others like this.
  8. Poostuff

Poostuff Well-Known Member

Every time I go to log in here I see a bunch of spam threads & the unsecured website warning.
    The whole first page of new posts is covered with the spam threads right now.
    I appreciate the fact the moderators do their best with the limitations they have but sometimes wonder if a lot more people would be active here if the site didn’t feel like a run down apartment with no maintenance guy.

Silat likes this.
  9. macbill

macbill Gregarious Misanthrope

I'm too stupid to be bothered. I post anyway.

10. Madri-Gal

Madri-Gal Child Of The Revolution

I'd describe you more as mellow and good natured, @macbill. When I see you feisty, it seems directed at injustice. :2c:

11. Chainfish

Chainfish Well-Known Member

Have noticed a rise. How many active members here? wouldn't it be possible to organise a DDOS attack on the websites being promoted? Am old and not too puter literate but surely this is possible.

ClearBlueLou and Madri-Gal like this.
  12. YaMon

YaMon Vaping since 2010

This sites not much of target, imho no reason to make it more of one with retaliation. I still think this site is more active than two of the alternatives, but worry about it's future given @vtac 's absence

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  13. Hackerman

Hackerman User

Tic toc tic toc

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors