Favourite Quotes

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
REGRET
The thoughtless sail through life unencumbered, those who think carry a backpack of regret.

I am walking on the knife’s edge between principled and unhinged.

George W. Bush quote:
“You work three jobs? Uniquely American, isn't it? I mean, that is fantastic that you're doing that."

Said to a divorced mother of three, Omaha, Nebraska, Feb. 4, 2005”

You know what they call "alternative medicine" that has been proven by science?
Medicine.

Beatles Music
Any future civilization that doesn't revere "I Saw Her Standing There" and side two of "Abbey Road" will probably be some kind of dark, rubble-strewn hellscape ruled by the machines.

"Morality is doing right, no matter what you are told.
Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right."

Life - A sexually transmitted disease which always ends in death. There is currently no known cure.

"Here's scary thought. Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”
-George Carlin

Beatles and Stones
The Beatles and the Stones got into a fight in the parking lot, and Led Zeppelin won. - Lisa Robinson, Creem Magazine

you-cant-convince-a-believer-carl-sagan.jpg

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
The Reign of Right Wing Morons is Here
"We have elected an ungovernable collection of snake-handlers, Bible-bangers, ignorami, bagmen and outright frauds, a collection so ungovernable that it insists the nation be ungovernable, too. We have elected people to govern us who do not believe in government."
Charles Pierce

"The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all." G.K. Chesterton

“It is forbidden to kill therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

"The afterlife Is A Fairy Tale For People Afraid Of The Dark" Stephen Hawking

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

BD9

Before George Orwell there was Karel Capek. The Absolute at Large, and my favorite, War with the Newts are great reads.

Excerpt from War With The Newts;

“We are here because you wanted us. You have distributed us over the entire world. Now you have us. We wish that you collaborate with us. You will provide us with steel for our picks and drills. You will provide us with explosives. You will provide us with torpedoes. You will work for us. Without you we will not be able to remove the old continents. Hello you people, Chief Salamander, in the name of all newts everywhere, offers collaboration with you. You will collaborate with us in the demolition of your world. Thank you.”

mestizo

I guess this verses taken from the Book of Romans chapter 1 in The Christian Bible are the opposite of it.
In case anybody wanted to know.

21Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn’t worship him as God or even give him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like. As a result, their minds became dark and confused. 22Claiming to be wise, they instead became utter fools. 23And instead of worshiping the glorious, ever-living God, they worshiped idols made to look like mere people and birds and animals and reptiles.

24So God abandoned them to do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other’s bodies. 25They traded the truth about God for a lie. So they worshiped and served the things God created instead of the Creator himself, who is worthy of eternal praise! Amen.

Melting Pot

Sick & Twisted
I guess this verses taken from the Book of Romans chapter 1 in The Christian Bible are the opposite of it.
In case anybody wanted to know.

21Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn’t worship him as God or even give him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like. As a result, their minds became dark and confused. 22Claiming to be wise, they instead became utter fools. 23And instead of worshiping the glorious, ever-living God, they worshiped idols made to look like mere people and birds and animals and reptiles.

24So God abandoned them to do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other’s bodies. 25They traded the truth about God for a lie. So they worshiped and served the things God created instead of the Creator himself, who is worthy of eternal praise! Amen.
You seem to like that book.
Good for you

MP

Melting Pot,
Reactions: Silat

grokit

well-worn member
I distrust strangers that smile at me :razz:

"Concerning matter, we have all been wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter."

~ Albert Einstein​

mestizo

You seem to like that book.
Good for you

MP
I really do,
History was my favorite subject at school and still is, I believe it is the only way to understand the past and present, but I read a lot of books on different subject matters, right now I'm reading a book by the Literature Nobel Prize Winner Gabriel José de la Concordia García Márquez (Gabo) to enrich my native language.
Another good book to read that helped me understand the present situation of society is by R. C. Sproul called The Consequences of Ideas, very good read, lots of philosophy.
And before I derail this thread, here are a few quotes from the books I mentioned.

"But when a woman decides to sleep with a man, there is no wall she will not scale, no fortress she will not destroy, no moral consideration she will not ignore at its very root: there is no God worth worrying about."
Gabriel García Márquez, Love in the Time of Cholera

"To him she seemed so beautiful, so seductive, so different from ordinary people, that he could not understand why no one was as disturbed as he by the clicking of her heels on the paving stones, why no one else's heart was wild with the breeze stirred by the sighs of her veils, why everyone did not go mad with the movements of her braid, the flight of her hands, the gold of her laughter. He had not missed a single one of her gestures, not one of the indications of her character, but he did not dare approach her for fear of destroying the spell."
Gabriel García Márquez, Love in the Time of Cholera

"The concept of divine revelation was central to Augustine's epistemology, or theory of knowledge.

The metaphor of light is instructive. In our present earthly state we are equipped with the faculty of sight. We have eyes, optic nerves, and so forth- all the equipment needed for sight. But a man with the keenest eyesight can see nothing if he is locked in a totally dark room. So just as an external source of light is needed for seeing, so an external revelation from God is needed for knowing.

When Augustine speaks of revelation, he is not speaking of Biblical revelation alone. He is also concerned with "general" or "natural" revelation. Not only are the truths in Scripture dependent on God's revelation, but all truth, including scientific truth, is dependent on divine revelation. This is why Augustine encouraged students to learn as much as possible about as many things as possible. For him, all truth is God's truth, and when one encounters truth, one encounters the God whose truth it is.
R.C. Sproul, Consequences of Ideas

Last edited:

farscaper

Arabians, Indians, Sabeans,

Sing not, in hymns and paens,

Your incense, myrrh, or ebony:

Come here a nobler plant to see;

And carry home at any rate,

Some seed, that you may propagate.

If in your soil it takes, to heaven

A thousand thousand thanks be given

And say, with France, it goodly goes

Where the Pantagruel ion grows!

— Francois Rabelais

46b0b21af90ba83e190e4683a5055b05.jpg

In case the image disappears :

“I don’t know [why we're here]. People sometimes say to me, ‘Why don’t you admit that the humming bird, the butterfly, the Bird of Paradise are proof of the wonderful things produced by Creation?’ And I always say, well, when you say that, you’ve also got to think of a little boy sitting on a river bank, like here, in West Africa, that’s got a little worm, a living organism, in his eye and boring through the eyeball and is slowly turning him blind. The Creator God that you believe in, presumably, also made that little worm. Now I personally find that difficult to accommodate…”
― David Attenborough

Blue Planet is well worth the watch, i've got the DVD! :)
Love the 'underwater lake' deep down in the ocean.

grokit

well-worn member
“The Christian faith—as in the 1930s under Germany’s pro-Nazi Christian church—is being distorted to sanctify nationalism, unregulated capitalism and militarism. The mainstream church, which refuses to denounce these heretics as heretics, a decision made in the name of tolerance, tacitly gives these sects credibility and squanders the prophetic voice of the church.”

Top Bottom