Favorite cover versions of the classics...

Baron23

Love Alison Krause and recently rewatched the Last Waltz with The Band and Emmy Lou singin Jolene. Outstanding!

Now, I like this one, Cherly Crow covering Black Betty. Just not sure who she is covering....Ram Jam, Lead Belly, or some guys on a chain gang. Now, there is a line of thought that this was an unattributable folk song/marching tune originally about a flint lock as being Black Betty. I just like it and Crow looks SUPER hot in those American Flag lower rider pants...yeah? :brow::lmao:

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
"Talkin' Loud and Sayin' Nothing" is a funk song written by James Brown and Bobby Byrd.
Living Colour

"Get Ready" Smokey Robinson
Rare Earth

"First I Look At The Purse" Smokey Robinson and Bobby Rogers
J. Geils

The Beatles did quite a few covers and they are all wonderful... I will only post a few for now.
"You've Really Got a Hold on Me" Smokey Robinson

"Please Please Mr. Postman" Georgia Dobbins, William Garrett, Freddie Gorman, Brian Holland, and Robert Bateman.
BBC Take 2

Silat

(I Know) I'm Losing You - Norman Whitfield, Edward Holland, Jr., Cornelius Grant
The Faces - Live at the BBC

Baby I Need Your Lovin - Holland-Dozier-Holland
Johnny Rivers

Seventh Son - Willie Dixon
Johnny Rivers

One of my faves covers as it transcends the other recordings:
Just My Imagination - Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong
Rolling Stones

Maybe I'm Amazed - Do I really have to tell you who wrote this?
The Faces

Silat

The First Cut Is The Deepest - Cat Stevens
Rod Stewart

Two covers by The Beatles here.
Lennon vocals and the enthusiastic backing vocals and performances make the originals seem tame by comparison.

Money - Barry Gordy and Janie Bradford
The Beatles

Twist And Shout - Bert Berns (under the pseudonym Bert Russell) along with Phil Medley
The Beatles

Time Is On My Side - This song was originally recorded by the jazz trombonist Kai Winding and his Orchestra on the Verve Records label in October 1963. His version was mostly instrumental with just the lyric "time is on my side" sung by the background trio of Cissy Houston, Dionne Warwick and Dee Dee Warwick.The first fully vocal version was recorded by the New Orleans Soul singer Irma Thomas. Her version was released as the B-side of "Anyone Who Knows What Love Is (Will Understand)" in June 1964. The Rolling Stones released their version of the song in the US on September 26, 1964, and it became their first Top 10 hit in America. Thomas' version contains a spoken part in the middle that the Stones left out.The lyrics were most likely written by Jimmy Norman, who was a member of The Coasters. The songwriting credit is unclear, and usually lists Jerry Ragovoy, who wrote "Piece Of My Heart" and "Try" for Janis Joplin, as the only writer, sometimes as "Norman Meade," which he used as a pseudonym. Thomas' original single lists the credit as "J. Norman - N. Meade." Ragovoy, who also produced the song for Thomas, died in 2011 at age 80.
Rolling Stones

I'd Rather Go Blind - Etta James, Ellington Jordan, Billy Foster
The Faces w/ Keith Richards

Last edited:

Silat

Mustang Sally - Mack Rice
Original title was Mustang Mama. Aretha Franklin suggested Mustang Sally and that was that.
Wilson Pickett

Good Lovin - Rudy Clark and Arthur Resnick
The Rascals

Harlem Shuffle - Bob Relf/Earl Nelson
Rolling Stones x's 3
Studio:

Outtake:

Live

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Last edited by a moderator: