Famous identities, and user names...

stark1

Lonesome Planet
I thought about this a bit, scratched my head a bit so I thought I would ask FC :

Seems that there are user names which are famous, and living personalities. That, to me, borders on the definition of identity theft.

If I were one of those whose name, and picture, has been assumed by someone else, I would be appalled.

Would something of this sort possibility lead to angry court cases?

stark1,

WeedyGirl1979

(Not a lawyer, don't even have knowledge from Law and Order)
If I were a celeb or famous person, I'd either shrug it off, assuming the people know it wasn't really 'me' posting on FC, or at the very most, make sure the person wasn't implying that it was truly me by words or actions (photoshopping me with a Snoop pen or such). I doubt it'd be worth the time and effort to get mad enough to go to court.
For the record, if it was me and someone did photoshop me holding a Snoop pen, I'd be madder at them thinking that I'm that gullible than the fact that I was being portrayed as a pot smoker.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I work with a guy named Thomas Hanks and another named Timothy Conway. I think they get a pass.

Many actors use a stage name that differs from their birth name. It would be tough for them to take offense when the name being duplicated wasn't their real name to begin with.

I wonder about the inverse where an actor's adopted stage name caused a real person to take offense. For example ... Rip Torn's real name is Elmore Rual Torn, Jr. and Whoopie Goldberg's real name was Caryn Elaine Johnson. Maybe these aren't great examples :lmao:

WeedyGirl1979

Yea, I'd rather not be known as a pot smoker.

A knowledgable vaporist, and you can call me all the famous names in Holy shit.

I rest my case.
lol, I keep picturing you getting mad because everyone says 'so you smoke pot?' and you're all 'heck no, f combustion!'
I don't necessarily get why people want to use a famous name as their screen name, but hey, it's a free world, have at. I'm not imaginative enough to come up with anything more complicated than what I use.

Top Bottom