Eyedrops: Are they safe? Visine, etc.

Nosferatu

Everyone I told this too in real life thinks I'm crazy, but let me try to explain it here. I have vaped basically everyday about 2-3 times a day for the past year and smoked before that. So I end up using clear eyes about 5 times a day now to keep my eyes white.

I recently thought I need a break from weed because my memory was kinda bad and I could never focus much. It was getting pretty bad so I was going to take a break but read an interesting theory from some poster on some forum I don't remember late at night. He basically said He thinks its the eyedrops that cause confusion and chronic redeyes. I know they are known to be addictive to the eye so long term use would cause them to stop working as well as your eyes build a tolerance. But he says confusion and memory loss is caused because the government wants big eyedrop brands putting something in them that causes this because they're aimed at stoners. And they want all people who smoke alot to come off as dumb to fit the goverments fake picture of what weed does to you. He says if you just drink enough water to make up for how much the sesh dehydrated you, you wont get red eyes.

Well, that sounds crazy haha. But instead of taking a break from weed I just stopped using eyedrops and drink about 500ml of water per vape sesh, and its true my eyes are fine. And after a few days of doing that my eyes are always white(well pink at most if Im vapin FAT) so its a big hassle out of the way. And it sounds crazy, but I feel so much better without eyedrops, I am quicker and more clear minded. Now I dread putting them in because they cause that classic high "Everybodys looking at me feeling and I cant keep my train of thought to answer this question" I dunno I now swear by not using eyedrops and all those problems are no longer here, so it worked for me.

Sorry if this sounds crazy but this is the most understanding group of vaporists I know :lol:

Nosferatu,

aero18

vaporist
Eyedrops are unhealthy for your eyes. I recall my eye doctor saying that you should never use them other than perhaps once in a blue moon for an interview.

I am not too informed about the health risks, however I do know that continual use of eye drops will cause the eyes to not produce adequate levels of moisture. My father has developed this problem.

Also, the continual restriction of the vessels in the eye is definitely not good. Nicotine is a vascular constrictor, and I know that nicotine increases your risk of heart attack because of this (and other reasons). I would think that the narrowing of your eye vessels will allow more plague to build up, possibly causing serious health problems down the road. I have read that glaucoma can even arise (albeit, very rarely).

So... you should refrain from using eyedrops.

aero18,

Nycdeisel

aero18 said:
Eyedrops are unhealthy for your eyes. I recall my eye doctor saying that you should never use them other than perhaps once in a blue moon for an interview.

I am not too informed about the health risks, however I do know that continual use of eye drops will cause the eyes to not produce adequate levels of moisture. My father has developed this problem.

Also, the continual restriction of the vessels in the eye is definitely not good. Nicotine is a vascular constrictor, and I know that nicotine increases your risk of heart attack because of this (and other reasons). I would think that the narrowing of your eye vessels will allow more plague to build up, possibly causing serious health problems down the road. I have read that glaucoma can even arise (albeit, very rarely).

So... you should refrain from using eyedrops.

All of this.

Using them a lot will end up making your eyes red for a while, and your eyes wont be able to do what they used to do without the help of the drops. I can see how constricted blood vessels in your eyes may make you seem confused or hazy :lol:

I pretty much never use eyedrops anymore, and its very important to always stay hydrated while using cannabis.

Nycdeisel,

Carbon

Some of that sounds a bit like paranoid stoner talk as far as the government putting stuff in eye drops aimed at affecting cannabis consumers.

Other than that, it just highlights how our bodies constantly adapt to changes. I have been through the same thing with lip balm or skin moisturizer. If you use them constantly and then stop, you will be way drier than you ever were before using the stuff. Your body adapts to what you put in/on it and reacts accordingly.

Carbon,

crawdad

floatin
i might be going slightly ot here, sorry.

every once in a while my eyes get real scratchy feeling and have a general dryness to them. for this reason i use drops sometimes, but i also dehydrate very quickly so perhaps there is a connection.

not all drops are equal, some have some rather rough chemicals in it while others are very near to simply water (i sometimes flush my eyes with distilled water when i'm out of drops). Similasan makes some natural products for eye drops, a bit pricey but there is no burn and the ingredients are similar/same as what your eyes produce.

http://www.naturaleyecare.com/diseases.asp?d_num=5

crawdad,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
honestly if your going to use eyedrops, use the ones that are just Sterile Saline only. This way your not adding any chemicals into your eye that force your body to do something it is not used to. With saline, your keeping your eye moist, and some of the redness will be reduced. Not all of it.

DevoTheStrange,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I've always felt there was something "off" about using eye drops other than once every now and then in a pinch.

I'm glad to learn I'm not just paranoid.

darkrom,
may b the plastics estrogen mimickin hormones leach into eye drops sittin in bottle then eyes, is there glass bottled saline h2o or is it ez to make your own eye drops with distilled h2o & sea salt?

hemp;)goofy8cheerio,

OO

Technical Skeptical
hemp;)goofy8cheerio said:
may b the plastics estrogen mimickin hormones leach into eye drops sittin in bottle then eyes, is there glass bottled saline h2o or is it ez to make your own eye drops with distilled h2o & sea salt?

it wus mentioned above that saline solution is ok 4 eyes so saline is salty h2o hence sea salt i guess

is this guy for real or a troll?

OO,
DevoTheStrange said:
honestly if your going to use eyedrops, use the ones that are just Sterile Saline only. This way your not adding any chemicals into your eye that force your body to do something it is not used to. With saline, your keeping your eye moist, and some of the redness will be reduced. Not all of it.
this is what's said hey did u like sweet misery on google video?edit~ok thcx devo thought the problems with visine was that it sits in bpa plastic or sumting, blinkin helps dry tired eyez & yoga 4 your eyes

hemp;)goofy8cheerio,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!

They make saline eye drops specifically formulated for your eyes. Your tears are saline. The eyedrops are mixed in the same ratio of salt and water that is found in your eyes. So i would not make your own. you might make it too salty and dry your eyes out. And when you have contacts you store your lenses in Saline solution that is similar to tears.

They also make artificial tears which is a Saline product with polymers added in to help mimic tears

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_tears these products are much better at rewetting your eyes than using Visine. That stuff has chemicals to reduce redness and a little bit to help lube the eye.

I just use saline formulated for the eyes.... not as expensive as the artificial tears.

DevoTheStrange,

djonkoman

I never use eyedrops'
I had to put them in a few times as kid at the eyedoctor to widen my pupils, and they really burned so I never want to put in eyedrops
plus it isn't as common here among stoners to use eyedrops, I no no one who uses them
and most people that have smoked for a while don't get red eyes anymore, I myself noticed I only get red eyes if I vape after 10-11 in the evening, and mostly just slightly red
smoking gets my eyes usually a bit quicker red tough, but still only if I'm really really high

djonkoman,
djonkoman said:
I never use eyedrops'
I
and most people that have smoked for a while don't get red eyes anymore, I myself noticed I only get red eyes if I vape after 10-11 in the evening, and mostly just slightly red
smoking gets my eyes usually a bit quicker red tough, but still only if I'm really really high
does anybody get really red eyes when eating brownies ? or alc extract swamp h2o tincture, probably

hemp;)goofy8cheerio,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Honestly with me, the only time I get red eyes is if I take in a monster hit of vapor that is so big that I can't hold it in no matter how hard I try. Then I proceed to cough heavily. Afterward, my eyes are bright red and glossy as hell. However I believe my eyes turned red not from the THC. I think it comes from the effort my body puts into those particularly large cough sessions. My eyes also do the same thing If i have several sneezes in quick succession.

DevoTheStrange,

2clicker

Observer
my eyes are rarely effected by cannabis unless we are really going at it

the only eyedrops i ever use are re-wetting drops for contacts, but since getting some newer contacts ive eliminated drops all together

i guess im lucky cuz ive never needed them really

2clicker,

Nosferatu

Some peoples eyes are just more sensitive than others I guess. My eyes are naturally on the red side so people always think I'm stoned. :lol: But not using drops and instead taking small hits and keeping hydrated, your eyes shouldnt change really.

Nosferatu,

djonkoman

djonkoman said:
I never use eyedrops'
I
does anybody get really red eyes when eating brownies ? or alc extract swamp h2o tincture, probably

yes, I've had very red eyes from both brownies and cake

djonkoman,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
My eyes get VERY red when I vaporize, and I can't be in public with red eyes. Are there any natural ways or things I can do to mask the redneess without being obvious?

Let me know!

Thanks,

-Elluzion

Modnote: Thread merged.

Elluzion,

luchiano

Get similisan eye drops for conjuctivitis. These eye drops aren't a quick fix like regular eye drops so your eyes will still get red for a while but the more you use them the less your eyes get red until eventually you don't have red eyes when puffing. They build up your immune system so it can deal with red eyes instead of doing the job for you.

You can go to wal-mart for the similsan

For a quick fix I like the rhoto v eye drops.
http://www.myrohto.com/redness_relievers.php

luchiano,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Build a tolerance or don't get as high when you know you need to go in public. My eyes always get red as shit after I take a THC break and vape again, but then after I build a tolerance they will just become slightly glassy or glazed but not crazy bloodshot redness anymore. Not saying it's the same with everyone, but that's my experience.

aesthyrian,
My eyes get very red so i use Clear Eyes. Extra redness protection. And my eyes are clear as a nice summer day. But after reading this hmmm idk.........I'll have to rethink. Thnx for the info.

themusicguy1989,

george

luchiano said:
Get similisan eye drops for conjuctivitis. These eye drops aren't a quick fix like regular eye drops so your eyes will still get red for a while but the more you use them the less your eyes get red until eventually you don't have red eyes when puffing. They build up your immune system so it can deal with red eyes instead of doing the job for you.

You can go to wal-mart for the similsan

For a quick fix I like the rhoto v eye drops.
http://www.myrohto.com/redness_relievers.php

Seconded for the Similsan drops, all natural and they work quite well.

Also this: http://www.ehow.com/how_2189261_treat-red-eyes-natural-medicine.html

george,
Top Bottom