• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Extreme Q or the Herbalaire (Can't decide whats best for my needs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

john24

Hi,

I've narrowed my vaporizer down to either the Extreme Q, or the Herbalaire.

At the moment I have a Magic Flight Box (which I can use 0.1g of herb and be pain free!)

Would 0.1g of herb even work in a vaporizer like the extreme q or herbalaire? or do you need to pack in much more?

I must say, I like the look of the Extreme Q much better, but i'm concerned about the reliability and how fragile it might be with glass. Especially if someone else is using it... is it easily breakable?

Money is tight, so thats why i'm hoping for one that will be reliable and hopefully won't break.

Another question would be, i'll probably rather the 'whip' way rather than bags most of the time. Is one of these machines much better for the whip part?

If I was to go for the Herbalaire, I see:

H2.1: 225
2.1: 160

Quite a big difference in price between the 2.1 and H2.1 versions, whats the differences? Its 200 for the extreme Q.

Any help be much appreciated, i'm torn between what to buy!

mod note: General Vaporization- Vapor related but not model specific- Please place threads in the proper forum. Thread moved.

john24,

gettin lifted

psychonaut
hey bud.

I have the Herbalaire and its a great vape. The difference in the prices are the pumps. Fast pump costs more. (Fills bags quicker.)

I've put as little as .1 of a gram in the Herbalaire and got very medicated. You also don't have to grind your buds, you just throw them in there and it evenly vapes it.

Can't go wrong with either the Extreme or the Herbalaire.

gettin lifted,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
I use the Q, and I bought my son the herbalAire. He likes to use bags, and is prone to breaking glass. It's perfect for him. Now I like the glass on the Q, and use it only for whips through water. I love it. For whips I would say the Q stands out. It also does a nice bag. So unless breakable parts is a concern, I'd get a Q.

Tstat,

OO

Technical Skeptical
you can use any size tube you want on the herbie, the drawback is that large, heavy tubes cause it to fall over alot.

i water pipe it, but without a whip.

OO,

nicelytoasted

Vaked Chemist
That's why soft silicone tubing over the mouthpiece works well, doesn't tip it over, I've found. ;)

nicelytoasted,

lwien

I've heard some say that the HA is more efficient than the Q. I've also heard that some say that the HA is more reliable being that it has less glass parts to break. Also heard that the Q draws it's air over the electronics and the HA does not do this.

lwien,
Tstat, please tell us more about how they directly compare, it's something I'm super interested in. Does one have better flavor, is herbie more efficient, does one heat faster, build quality? I'd like to get one or the other to replace my cano.

charliedontsurf,

Egzoset

Banned
Are there any photographs of the HerbalAire internal air path?

Is the HerbalAire vapor hot enough to prefer using an in-line cooler for comfort?

Egzoset,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Hey now... I will test out my son's herbalAire this afternoon. I already had a session with the Q this morning, so I'll have to wait a while. I have not really used it, except to hit a bag. I am going to test the whip and through glass as well.

He's skiing this weekend so I have it all to myself for testing purposes. The things i have to do in the name of science :lol:

Tstat,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Ok, i just finished the test. here is what I did:

I loaded the crucible with a very small amount of SLH. It was probably enough for 2 or 3 bong hits- just a tiny piece of a bud. I turned it up to like 375 or so- about 3/4. Once the light indicated it was ready (a couple of minutes) I tried hitting the whip. I wasn't getting anything so I let it warm up more. After like 5 minutes I tried again.

This time I got terrific hits from the whip. I stuck the mouthpiece into my bubbler and took several tasty hits. I was starting to like this vape. Then I decided to see if it would blow a bag after all those hits. Within 2 minutes I had a big, cloudy bag. This too tasted great. Once I finished the bag I hooked up another. Same results. I had enough.

Ok, comparisons:

Taste: The herbie tasted great, but I still felt like I was getting something from the plastic. The Q wins in this department. I don't know if it's because of the glass or that is just in my mind. I enjoy the taste better with the Q.

Efficiency: Well this goes to the herbie. I think the Q is plenty efficient, but the herbie just kept on going. And you don't need to grind.

Build: Ok, I have said this before... if you are prone to breaking glass pieces, then don't get the Q. Get the Q if you are a high end glass type of person. If you are a college kid in a dorm (or your room at home) GET THE herbie. Herbie is tough. It's made of hard plastic and stainless. The Q is not so tough and if you drop it or knock it over, there is a good chance something will break.

Accessories: OK, I don't like the whip on the herbie. It's small diameter and has plastic on both ends. Again, I like glass- but if you a younger person who needs durability then it will work perfectly. Other than that, they both blow bags but herbie is better at it, IMO. Bags fill faster and seem to be pretty damn milky. They both do whips- Q is better at this, or at least I like it better due to the glass connector and mouthpiece and the larger tubing. Herbie does direct hit right from the small white tube you place the bag on. That is pretty cool and the Q does not do that.

So, in conclusion...

I really like both of these vapes. The herbie is better for young people, people prone to breaking glass and/or knocking things over while intoxicated. It's better if you like blowing bags. If you really want to stretch your meds, none does it better than the herbie- except maybe the PD- but that's another story. That's why it was perfect for my son.

For older, more responsible intoxicated people, the Q works better with high end glass pieces in a setting where someone won't accidently knock it over. The remote and digital readout are cool but not necessary.

I like both vapes and certainly recommend them. I hope this helps...

Tstat,

OO

Technical Skeptical
the stock herbie whip is lame (it donks up the flava and is hard to hit), you want one like this.
0129011142.jpg

or you can plug it straight into a bong
1228001101.jpg

OO,
Thanks Tstat and OO that was some great info. Does anyone have a picture of the herbie's internal airpath?

I guess I'm leaning a little to the herbie at this point. For a number of reasons. Does anyone know if it's made in Canada or china?

I guess herbie can only be plugged directly in 9mm non GonG , and can't be used with 14mm or 18.8mm glass on glass joints? Or am I wrong?

A few things OO, 1) your Chrono Trigger Mu avatar is awesome and 2) that big ass glass handle on your whip is awesome, 3) is that a hose clamp on it? 4) how big is the herbie bowl?

charliedontsurf,

max

Out to lunch
Does anyone have a picture of the herbie's internal airpath?
I doubt it. It's not made to be easily disassembled. They state that it's separate from the electronics though, and since it can be verified, I doubt they'd lie. hebalAire is Canadian made.

max,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
I think you can probably get a different whip with a GonG adapter to hook it a bong. I used the whip and placed the plastic mouthpiece in my 14mm bubbler. It was not a tight GonG fit, but it worked.

Tstat,

OO

Technical Skeptical
charliedontsurf said:
Thanks Tstat and OO that was some great info. Does anyone have a picture of the herbie's internal airpath?

I guess I'm leaning a little to the herbie at this point. For a number of reasons. Does anyone know if it's made in Canada or china?

I guess herbie can only be plugged directly in 9mm non GonG , and can't be used with 14mm or 18.8mm glass on glass joints? Or am I wrong?

A few things OO, 1) your Chrono Trigger Mu avatar is awesome and 2) that big ass glass handle on your whip is awesome, 3) is that a hose clamp on it? 4) how big is the herbie bowl?

it is made in Canada.

i would assume you could make anything fit if you're determined.

it's actually pronounced:
306C.png
and everything begins and ends with it.
the glass handle is a reusable glass serological pipette i was gifted, it's this specific one http://www.opticsplanet.net/kimble-...hr-pipets-class-b-color-coded-370-bbaadc.html, but others can be found online for much cheaper, the tubing is tygon, it's thick and heavy, which causes some issues with the mouthpiece of the unit.

it's a pretty big hoseclamp which holds the rubber tubing over the tygon, and allows me to attach the tube by stretching the rubber over the teflon mouthpiece.

i'd say the bowl is medium-large size when compared to what is used for smoking, the airpath(of the bowl) is a cylinder, about 1.5 cm in diameter, and about 3 cm long. total volume is about 5.3 mL.

OO,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
OO said:
the stock herbie whip is lame (it donks up the flava and is hard to hit), you want one like this.
0129011142.jpg

or you can plug it straight into a bong
1228001101.jpg

what are the dimensions of your whip tubing?

notmyrealUSERname,
Hello folks! I figured I would finally register and jump in here with a question...

I bought an MFLB in the fall and really love it. But it's not a great device for 3 people at home, which is our usual situation now. It would also be nice to have something that could work for larger groups when those crop up.

My main criteria are convenience (relaxing/easy to use and maintain), versatility, and price. I'd like something that can use bags as well as some kind of direct draw/whip.

Initial research has led me to be primarily considering the Extreme Q or the HerbalAire. I also looked into getting a used Volcano, Da Buddha, log vapes (seemed like it would suffer from somewhat the same thing as the MFLB in terms of slow pacing with a group... but I dig the approach, so maybe as a third vape one day, lol), and a few others, but these two seem to be the top contenders right now.

They both sound like they are efficient and high quality, so I don't think I can really go wrong with either.

I would say I'm leaning towards the Extreme Q because of a few factors:
  • Materials/construction -- I'm definitely more a fan of inhaling off glass than teflon parts, and there just seems to be more favourable comments about the Q's build quality, which I appreciate
  • It seems to have more positive opinions about the bag feature as compared to the HA
  • Better warranty
  • No separate power cords for the unit and air pump, which I've also read is a bit loud
  • More popular/better accessories
However, plusses for the HerbalAire would be that you don't need to grind (but is that 100% accurate? damn cool if it is), the whip experience seems to be better than the Q, and it maybe seems slightly more efficient.
Thoughts? I've read reviews and threads comparing them but I'm a unique snowflake and want my own personalized recommendations from you awesomely experienced vapers :D
Oh and a general question about concentrates -- I see some of the popular vapes have 'pad' accessories, where you can use them for hash and such. How well does this work, and would this be a good option with either of these choices?

stephthegeek,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
We have both. The only way the HA is better than the Q is if you are someone who easily breaks glass. The Q produces much better clouds and has been my main vape for 2 years until I got the Cloud. like both, but I personally like the Q much more. Oh, and the HA is really good at bags, and no grinding for bags - but not for direct into a bong. As far as whips go, the HA is terrible, IMO and that is the Q's strong point.

Tstat,
The Q! I've stated my love for the Extreme in detail elsewhere, but suffice it to say I prefer to my old HA.

Logvapes are awesome too, though. My Underdog is a beast and will milk almost any glass you can levy against it. The CRZ, Toastytop and HI (wait list) are also very promising, and all are made by home-grown artisans, and it's very cool to give your money directly the man/woman at the lathe.

charliedontsurf,

Egzoset

Banned
Hi,

After i've seen good photographs of the airpath in an Arizer Extreme Q i'd certainly vote for the HerbalAire, but i'm no awesomely experienced vapourist: i just happen to use my HA with a glass piece these days and it's all i need besides a custom-made water toy...

:peace:

Egzoset,
Reactions: zmurder
Hi,

After i've seen good photographs of the airpath in an Arizer Extreme Q i'd certainly vote for the HerbalAire, but i'm no awesomely experienced vapourist: i just happen to use my HA with a glass piece these days and it's all i need besides a custom-made water toy...

:peace:

Here is the thread with photos of the Q internals. It's probably something every prospective and current owner should see.

The airpath of the HA is a mystery, as far as I know. No one has yet disassembled their HA because it's not an easy task like the Q is. I don't think Bohdan Petyhyrycz's company has ever provided a diagram or a list of materials or anything of that nature. As we can see the Q does pull air from over some circuitry, but it's room temperature at that point and there's little to no danger of any excessive heat and off gassing, or so the story goes.

So I don't see why you would prefer the mystery of the HA airpath over the clear knowledge of the Q's. The HA's could be worse for all we know.

charliedontsurf,

max

Out to lunch
charliedontsurf said:
So I don't see why you would prefer the mystery of the HA airpath over the clear knowledge of the Q's. The HA's could be worse for all we know.
Not much of a mystery. I solved it years ago with an email to the company. There also a statement on the site-

"The air is completely isolated from the heating element and flows through only the safest materials"

As for the Extreme being 'A OK' because the air across circuitry being cold, I'll pass on judging that, but I'll also pass on using it.

max,
Reactions: zmurder
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom