Extreme Q acting weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epikurous

Hey guys I'm not exactly sure if this is the right spot for this post. I have an Extreme Q that's shutting off automatically (not the auto shut off feature, it happens fast like 3 minutes or just a few seconds). It happens quickly sometimes, and sometimes it won't turn back on. I tried different wall outlets and it still happens. I've noticed now that if I lift the vape up off the ground (or table) it shuts off. Same thing with the power supply. Has anybody had similar problems with vapes? Maybe it's not grounded properly?

If anybody can help me out with any information it would be greatly appreciated. I'm worried that it's just not going to turn on soon and I'll have to buy a new one. I can't find any proof of purchase so I'm SOL on the lifetime warranty. What really scares me is that I took the volcano to the same power outlet that started this whole problem and it shut off my volcano. The volcano seems fine on other power outlets but I'm afraid that I could cause permanent damage to it. The original power outlet that started the problems was running off an adapter on a power strip plugged into the wall (which was also plugged into a freezer). Not sure if this could possibly affect the voltages or grounding of electronics... Thanks again.

Epikurous,

thesoloman

Maybe your cord on the Eq is just old and worn out, this happened on my old EQ, glad i gave it to a friend. Possible a new power supply would fix your problem.

thesoloman,
Reactions: Epikurous

Epikurous

Thanks I'll try this out before I buy a new one. Hopefully I can find a new chord for cheap.

Looks like they're pretty expensive (around $35). Does anybody know of a cheap alternative?

Last edited:
Epikurous,

FrogBoy138

$35 is about 1/3 the price of a used EQ off Ebay if it's not the cord your out 35 bucks and still buying another unit if you buy another you could sell or give one away without the chord. Don't you have a friend or somebody that you know that has a chord you could try.

FrogBoy138,

thesoloman

On second thought have you opened up your Q and took a look inside making sure everything clean and tidy looking under the hood? by hood i mean the inside of the unit, unscrew the screws under the feet to access the inside.

thesoloman,

Epikurous

No, I've never taken her apart. I'll check it out, it is 3 years old so it's probably dirty. I didn't know it could get dirty down there... Could that affect the electronics?

$35 is about 1/3 the price of a used EQ off Ebay if it's not the cord your out 35 bucks and still buying another unit if you buy another you could sell or give one away without the chord. Don't you have a friend or somebody that you know that has a chord you could try.

Unfortunately I don't have any friends with cords that I could try. I just spend $20 to replace 2 elbows and soon I'm going to get a $35 cord. I'm seeing brand new eq's for $150 so it might have been wise to just buy a whole new unit. Totally depends on the new cord though, we'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Epikurous,

Epikurous

Alright I took her completely apart, she was real dirty inside, I cleaned her up put it back together and the problem still persists. I turned it on and it was fine, then I lifted the power brick off the ground and it immediately shut off. This is why I think it's a grounding problem either with the unit or power cable.

Epikurous,

FrogBoy138

It does sound like a short in the cord to me but what do I know. Maybe you should gamble on another cord. How easy was it to take apart? you know that EQ for 150 is going to be another without warranty.
I thought they were over $200 with the warranty. Not that I think they need warranty it's a tank I've beat mine to hell and back and it still loves me.

FrogBoy138,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
I turned it on and it was fine, then I lifted the power brick off the ground and it immediately shut off.

Do you have access to a voltmeter? Cheaper than a new cord and will tell you exactly where the problem is, the cord or the unit. Even inside the unit you could trace down the problem.

And is the EQ's PSU labeled? It shouldn't be hard to replace. Just find the same wattage, most likely just 12v, and make sure it has enough amps, I think somewhere around 1.5.

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
It sound to me like the adapter cord on the source is damaged. Mine also died this way. If you didn't find any electronics busted in the power circuit, then I think it's 99.9% damaged cord. Or the power brick itself.
The EQ itself seems to me as a very reliable unit, i rarely see any reports of failure of the actual unit. MY own unit has survives serious abuse without missing a beat. The power brick however is cheap and poor.
You would need a new source (i don't think it's the thick removable power cord that is busted, it happens to these thin built-in ones).
I don't think it's short as FrogBoy138 points, i think, it's the opposite - detached wires in it. Short typically makes a lot of heat that you would notice.

Epikurous

It sound to me like the adapter cord on the source is damaged. Mine also died this way. If you didn't find any electronics busted in the power circuit, then I think it's 99.9% damaged cord. Or the power brick itself.
The EQ itself seems to me as a very reliable unit, i rarely see any reports of failure of the actual unit. MY own unit has survives serious abuse without missing a beat. The power brick however is cheap and poor.
You would need a new source (i don't think it's the thick removable power cord that is busted, it happens to these thin built-in ones).
I don't think it's short as FrogBoy138 points, i think, it's the opposite - detached wires in it. Short typically makes a lot of heat that you would notice.

Would a short cause the cord to heat up? I think I noticed it was unusually warm recently before this whole problem came about. I'm pretty certain that the problem is the power chord now. I just need to find a cheaper alternative because I spent too much on new elbow pieces / cyclone bowls / hoses.

Epikurous,

Epikurous

Do you have access to a voltmeter? Cheaper than a new cord and will tell you exactly where the problem is, the cord or the unit. Even inside the unit you could trace down the problem.

And is the EQ's PSU labeled? It shouldn't be hard to replace. Just find the same wattage, most likely just 12v, and make sure it has enough amps, I think somewhere around 1.5.

I don't have access to a voltmeter, I'll try to find one or buy one. How would it tell me exactly where the problem is? Don't they just measure the voltage of an outlet? How would this narrow down the problem within the unit?

The PSU is labeled, good call, thanks!

Epikurous,

Epikurous

Here are the details on the power cable

MODEL: QL-08011-B1903500F
INPUT: AC100-240V 50/60Hz 1.5A
OUTPUT: 19V 3500mA

If anybody knows of an alternative or a cheap place to get a replacement please let me know. These things are pretty expensive from Arizer ($43 w/ shipping) and I want to make sure there's no other alternatives before I buy this from Arizer. I found a few stores, all out of stock, but much cheaper at $20.

Epikurous,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
How would it tell me exactly where the problem is? Don't they just measure the voltage of an outlet? How would this narrow down the problem within the unit?

No a voltmeter will measure both AC and DC. You can even use them to measure how much juice there is left in a AA battery.

You can use the meter to see if the cord between the wall and PSU is good, then test the PSU itself to see if it is putting out 19V.

Within the unit is a bit more complicated so I wouldn't suggest you trying it if you don't have any experience.

OUTPUT: 19V 3500mA

This is all you need to know for a replacement, a PSU that puts out 19V @ 3500 mA.

Do you have any old laptop PSU laying around? That is the only thing I can think of that would put out 19V.

Tweak,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom