Extracting THC from leaves.

Tommy10

so I have been doing a lot of research and it seems most of it is referring to trim/shake. I have about 1pound of leaf, from all over the plant not just trimmings from manicured bud. I didn't think they'd be worth doing much with, but I grinded some up and put it your a flour sieve. Ended up with a nice little pile, it was not all crystals fair bit of plant matter, but the vast majority of the plant stayed in the top. I loaded up a bowl in the HA full packed with this stuff, and to my surprise it gave heaps of nice clouds, and got me super baked although it tasted horrible.
My questions are, is it worth freezing before doing this? And if I were to repeate the process again, but sieve what I ended up with now through some finer mesh would that be a viable way? Or am I best off taking the product I have put through the sieve and make some kind of solvent extract?
I'm not too fussed as I didn't pay for them, but now I'm certain there is some highness to be extracted from this bag of green, I think it could be good practise for future kief/extract making. Also there is a fair bit, so can try a few different methods, I just didn't really want to go all out on it, as cleaning alcohol can't be bought here, and something like 151 is more expensive than 3.5g of good bud, so that's not an options.
If anyone has frozen leaf, and then progressively sieved it through finer screens with some success id love to hear about it.

Tommy10,
Reactions: kellya86

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Fan leaves taste rank, I gave all my trim away last time, my mate loves it, vapes it in his eq and get's huge clouds, and gets high, but it tastes awful... like you say...

I don't think any amount of filtering will help you remove that taste, once it's all mixed like that, it's like buttering bread....it's done...

I take extra care now to keep my sugar leaf and fan leaf separate when trimming....

Anyway the only success iv had with this stuff was making bho out of it...
And it come out really nice considering the starting product....

I don't know if this is an option for you, but I'd yam it in tubes and butane blast it, after some winterising...

kellya86,
Reactions: Tommy10

Tommy10

I think butane would be a better option than alcohol for me.... The taste I can handle but it's not nice. Might break down everything I have through the flour sieve, freeze it sieve through a finer screen. Then see how I go, if I don't end up with something "kief" like, I might look into BHO, cheers!

Tommy10,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
For kif, I'd consider dry ice approach with a 120 bag without grinding for trim (fan/sun/popcorn).

smokum,

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Theory does suggest that the above method should leave you with good product, but I personally can never lose that taste without solvents..

Maybe you can, let me know if you make it work...

kellya86,

herbivore21

I've aways fancied trying to make bubble hash as described in this amazing FC thread.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/school-me-on-making-bubble.19060/

I don't know if results are comparable to extraction methods but boy those pics look well tasty.
IME bubble is the best way to use trim/shake.

If the resulting bubble is not melty enough or still tastes bad, rosin it. I have had some incredible rosins this way!!! Some not so much.

Remember that trim decomposes over time and the rotting matter does not taste good! It is all about getting as much of that contaminant out as possible!

Tommy10

Was trying to avoid bubble as it looks like a bit of work, and realistically with my current situation I have about a 10 hour window to attempt something like this, which lead me to believe a solvent extract might be better. Not too fussed about taste, anyone know where I can find a cheap BHO tube with nipple? And would I be right in assuming that trim with need less butane as you are stripping less goodies than bud?
Cheers guys! Much help!

Tommy10,
Reactions: kellya86

kellya86

Herb gardener...
I still blast a whole can whether it be trim or fine cured bud...I use colobri....

kellya86,

HomeFree

Turn your leaf into some golden butter. It just takes more water washes to get the majority of the taste out. Makes decent meds in my opinion. I wouldn't make vapable stuff out of fan leaf. Just edibles. I have tried using extract from fan leaves and it was really bad tasting. I have no issues vaping sugar leaf, but fans, no way. Yuk.

I used to do ~1/5 volume butter and the rest water. Lots of water, then I would strain, let harden in the water/butter mixture in the fridge, pull it out and add clean water and keep doing that until clean (look at the water when you pull the butter out and smell it too).

For fan leaves I used ~20 grams per stick which is another reason to use a lot of water. Obviously you could use coconut butter as well which is how I would do it if I wanted to do it again.

For sugar leaf/trim that should be worthy of extraction to vape.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I would run it through mesh to get a dirty kief for cannaoil or butter. I would not attempt to use all that vegetation for making it as there will be mass amounts of chlorophyll in the water and butter when you are done.

Winegums,
Reactions: HomeFree
Top Bottom