Experimenting with vaporizers

Archaicrevival

I have previously done a simple experiment. Using a vapcap, I vaporized (per recommended usage of device) 2.2 grams of material. Each load consisted of roughly 0.2-0.3G per vapcap. This produced quality vapor for 3 heat cycles. After the 2.2 grams was weighed and I noticed the weight had changed by only 0.1G. I proceeded to "re-vape" the now 2.1 G and the result was 1.9. I can assume from this crude experiment that once the plant mass begins to decrease we are in fact inhaling plant some plant matter, rather than cannabanoids It may be best to repeat this experiment with a better digital controlled vaporizer at varying temperatures.

Archaicrevival,
Reactions: shredder

herbivore21

I have previously done a simple experiment. Using a vapcap, I vaporized (per recommended usage of device) 2.2 grams of material. Each load consisted of roughly 0.2-0.3G per vapcap. This produced quality vapor for 3 heat cycles. After the 2.2 grams was weighed and I noticed the weight had changed by only 0.1G. I proceeded to "re-vape" the now 2.1 G and the result was 1.9. I can assume from this crude experiment that once the plant mass begins to decrease we are in fact inhaling plant some plant matter, rather than cannabanoids It may be best to repeat this experiment with a better digital controlled vaporizer at varying temperatures.
I've said this for a long time man. There is no doubt that plant material aside from what we wanna boil and inhale is being volatilized and inhaled along with the rest of it with flowers. That's why I prefer high quality concentrates, the best way to avoid inhaling this unwanted aerosol is not to put the unwanted plant material into your bowl to begin with IME :peace:

I believe Bubbleman cites Skunkman Sam as saying something along these lines as well. Good advice in my view :)

With this said, some flower vapes do a much better job than others at extracting without overcooking. There is a lot to be said for not over-vaping your flower. I find that if you hit flower until there is absolutely no vapor, you end up coughing a lot more, sore throat, headaches etc vs not taking the load so far or using properly made concentrates. IMO it is better to vape at lower temp and extract any remaining residue with solvents or cooking depending on your scenario/abilities (don't extract with solvents if you don't know how to purge properly or it may end up less harmful to overvape your bud - most people are better off cooking than using solvents to extract inhalables!).

Archaicrevival

I've said this for a long time man. There is no doubt that plant material aside from what we wanna boil and inhale is being volatilized and inhaled along with the rest of it with flowers. That's why I prefer high quality concentrates, the best way to avoid inhaling this unwanted aerosol is not to put the unwanted plant material into your bowl to begin with IME :peace:

I believe Bubbleman cites Skunkman Sam as saying something along these lines as well. Good advice in my view :)

With this said, some flower vapes do a much better job than others at extracting without overcooking. There is a lot to be said for not over-vaping your flower. I find that if you hit flower until there is absolutely no vapor, you end up cougahing a lot more, sore throat, headaches etc vs not taking the load so far or using properly made concentrates. IMO it is better to vape at lower temp and extract any remaining residue with solvents or cooking depending on your scenario/abilities (don't extract with solvents if you don't know how to purge properly or it may end up less harmful to overvape your bud - most people are better off cooking than using solvents to extract inhalables!).

Even if you are inhaling some plant material, in my initial experiment was less than 0.2G inhaled i assume out of 2.2 grams of plant material, this is a far cry from the amount of tar one would get from a single joint. Given some studies on "smoking" I'd say vapes are still far superior at least in terms of lung health and likely all health parameters that apply.

Smoking Weed Doesn't Harm Lungs If It's A Joint A Day, Even After 20 Years

http://www.medicaldaily.com/smoking...s-if-its-joint-day-even-after-20-years-318432

Archaicrevival,
Reactions: shredder

Archaicrevival

Assuming your vape doesn't combust, then it is for sure mostly water evaporating for the weight loss... still way healthier than smoking

I wouldn't assume water would weigh 0.2G nor would cannabanoids. I think plant matter can be turned to ash in minute quantities even before combustion.

Pimpslapper

Perfectly cured cannabis is 15% water, so that accounts for. 15 g loss.

If the bud was a little bit more moist, could easily be. 2g
My avb is bone dry and I only vape each bowl once at 180c,so it is not even close to scorched

Archaicrevival

Perfectly cured cannabis is 15% water, so that accounts for. 15 g loss.

If the bud was a little bit more moist, could easily be. 2g
My avb is bone dry and I only vape each bowl once at 180c,so it is not even close to scorched

In my test the material had been vaped once already, there was very little water. I can vape 1 gram per usage instructions in vapcap, (3x per session) and the weight does not change at all. When revaped again 2x the weight does not change usually, my suspicious is when the weight begins to change you are inhaling some plant matter via minor combustion. after a second run in vapcap the weight begins to decrease 0.2G at a time each session after a total of 5 runs per load in this particular unit.

Archaicrevival,

funkyjunky

www.lamart.ch
Manufacturer
you should definitely see change in weight. if not then your material does not contain a lot of volatiles (do you see vapor,are you getting high? or your scale is not accurate enough :shrug:

funkyjunky,

Archaicrevival

you should definitely see change in weight. if not then your material does not contain a lot of volatiles (do you see vapor,are you getting high? or your scale is not accurate enough :shrug:
Terpenes, and cannaanoids are likely in a few mg's. not near 0.2g, also as I have asthma, I can really tell once the material starts to combust at all because my airways will close up and i'll have to use albuterol, as long as I don't go past 3-4 total "sessions" in the vapcap at least, i have no need for albuterol and the weight usually will not change and I will be well medicated. I mean 200mg would be quite a dose.

Archaicrevival,

funkyjunky

www.lamart.ch
Manufacturer
if they say 20% thc weed, they mean that literally 20% of its weight is actually pure thc, which is a cannabinoid. i know its crazy to think about it. try vaping through water, that reduces irritation, doesnt mean combustiin imo, vapor is plenty irritating.

if you really combust you have ash in your bowl.

Archaicrevival

if they say 20% thc weed, they mean that literally 20% of its weight is actually pure thc, which is a cannabinoid. i know its crazy to think about it. try vaping through water, that reduces irritation, doesnt mean combustiin imo, vapor is plenty irritating.

if you really combust you have ash in your bowl.

Although this is about smoking, this may be useful...

"Cannabis cigarettes were obtained through the NIDA Chemistry and Physiological Systems Research Branch and independently assayed to contain 6.8% (0.2%) THC, 0.25% (0.08%) CBD, and 0.21% (0.02%) CBN (wt/wt). Mean cigarette weight was 0.79 (0.16) g, yielding total THC, CBD, and CBN content of 54, 2.0, and 1.7 mg per cigarette, respectively. Participants smoked a single cannabis cigarette ad libitum for 10 min."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3717336/

Archaicrevival,

Archaicrevival

I just wish this was legal in the usa. https://www.drugs.com/uk/sativex-oromucosal-spray-spc-10018.html

I will be doing further spirometric testing in 2017 working with a pulmonologist to see what if any effects daily cannabis vaporizing has had on my lungs. I have had one test done in 2012(when I used to smoke cannabis ; I quit smoking cannabis and (8 Pack years, in cigarettes ) in 2012.) , Another lung function test was done in 2016, In 2016 I was diagnosed with bronchial Asthma and put on Singulair and as needed albuterol, I notice in the winter when i vape cannabis and it's really cold out I have to use albuterol if I even get near combusting in the Vapcap at least, I will be getting an electronic vaporizer soon so that should be of benefit. I'm also curious as to how the test results will come out in 2017.

Last edited:
Archaicrevival,

C No Ego

I just wish this was legal in the usa. https://www.drugs.com/uk/sativex-oromucosal-spray-spc-10018.html

I will be doing further spirometric testing in 2017 working with a pulmonologist to see what if any effects daily cannabis vaporizing has had on my lungs. I have had one test done in 2012(when I used to smoke cannabis ; I quit smoking cannabis and (8 Pack years, in cigarettes ) in 2012.) , Another lung function test was done in 2016, In 2016 I was diagnosed with bronchial Asthma and put on Singulair and as needed albuterol, I notice in the winter when i vape cannabis and it's really cold out I have to use albuterol if I even get near combusting in the Vapcap at least, I will be getting an electronic vaporizer soon so that should be of benefit. I'm also curious as to how the test results will come out in 2017.

I was recently referring N-acetylcysteine to someone with copd.. could be something that helps you too

C No Ego,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
@Archaicrevival : I think basing your tests on the Vapcap in the first place is not the most optimal move... It's absolutely not temperature regulated and too easy to overshoot due to the manual nature of the device.

You should do your tests with a temperature controlled device having absolutely zero chance of combusting. Ceramic oven conduction devices like the FM5 range or Solo/Air come to mind, as they are not very powerful and give consistent results regardless of draw speed, which is variable by definition (and convection devices tend to be much more affected by that last parameter)

KeroZen,

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
@Archaicrevival : I think basing your tests on the Vapcap in the first place is not the most optimal move... It's absolutely not temperature regulated and too easy to overshoot due to the manual nature of the device.

You should do your tests with a temperature controlled device having absolutely zero chance of combusting. Ceramic oven conduction devices like the FM5 range or Solo/Air come to mind, as they are not very powerful and give consistent results regardless of draw speed, which is variable by definition (and convection devices tend to be much more affected by that last parameter)
The Herbalizer would be my choice for testing. It has a fan with a built in timer, 5 temperature probes for precise temperatures, and zero heating of the bowl unless it air is moving through it. If you wanted to you could even "stair case" the temperatures, weigh between each run and see how much is extracted at each step.

hoptimum

The Herbalizer would be my choice for testing. It has a fan with a built in timer, 5 temperature probes for precise temperatures, and zero heating of the bowl unless it air is moving through it. If you wanted to you could even "stair case" the temperatures, weigh between each run and see how much is extracted at each step.

I'd include the Volcano as a device that eliminates the most variables and can provide consistant data.

hoptimum,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Well of course, thank you guys! Your answers are more than valid indeed... if we omit how both these devices cost an arm and a kidney respectively! :lol:

But you are right, a forced fan would completely eliminate the variable draw speed.

KeroZen,
Top Bottom