On the Stoop
The finished product :D
2ai524n.jpg

o5ambo.jpg

2ueny2p.jpg

4g6c6q.jpg

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Great looking samples, snappo...congrats!

Do you mind educating me a little bit...are these pieces taken from the tree horizontally or vertically? I keep wondering how the patterns are made.

Snappo most likely knows more than me about how these pieces are cut, but typically burl woods are caused by defects in the tree. Right now my friend has a few nice pieces of maple crotch wood which is where two huge trunks of the tree meet - creating opposing grain patterns. He slices the wood into pieces after drying it for a while in different directions to get different grain patterns for his bowls.

From what I understand about burls specifically is they are essentially "tumors" on the tree - ever look at an old tree and see those huge bumps or warts on the tree - that's where the burl is found. Of course it's been years since I did any research into burl since my friend only works with locally sourced wood, he rarely comes across exotic burls ("crotch wood" is much more common)

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Great looking samples, snappo...congrats!

Do you mind educating me a little bit...are these pieces taken from the tree horizontally or vertically? I keep wondering how the patterns are made.
@stickstones - Good to see you here - thanks for stopping by! The burls are unique and very often striking in their appearance, with beautiful swirls, colors, burls (eyes/buttons), etc. Burls are possibly the result of still as yet not well understood environmental factors that provide inroads for various forms of infestation or disease that cause the tree's defense mechanisms to go haywire and therefore bring about deformations to the natural wood patterns as they develop within the burl area. Burls are also formed as part of the reproduction cycle of some types of trees, like the big Redwoods, and removing them while still living not only brings great harm to the Redwood, but also curtails the production of offspring. Big burls that are taken from trees are like big warts or growths that can develop on just about any part of the tree, even at the root. They are most often derived from dead or fallen trees so as not to harm one that is living and healthy. Removing a burl from a healthy tree can very easily put it at risk for a very shortened life. I only source woods from suppliers who strictly support & observe forest conservation covenants. The burls that I source are only taken from fallen trees. Please see below some excerpts from a few online information sources that shed a little light on the subject.

"Burl wood is a type of wood used by artists to create sculptures and other items, such as clocks and even some forms of furniture. It is highly prized by artists because of its unique shapes and ring patterns. This wood is a type of fast growing, abnormal growth found on some trees. It grows because the tree has experienced some sort of environmental stress or damage, and it is often caused by either a fungal attack or an attack by insects.

The number of trees that produce burl wood is quite low. In addition, certain areas tend to create more than others, because all or many of the trees in a particular location are likely to be attacked by the same fungus or insects. Certain species also tend to be more susceptible to attacks and, therefore, more likely to develop burl wood. For this reason, certain types are more rare and prized than others.

Often, a tree that has developed burl wood is still quite healthy. In fact, many of these trees can go on to live for many more years. Other trees develop burl wood offshoots that are so large and heavy that they create additional stress on the tree and can cause it to die.

When used in wood-crafting, burl wood is removed from the tree, preferably after the tree has already died in order to avoid killing it. It is then cut open in order to review the pattern inside. Sometimes, a single offshoot can produce several different pieces for an artist to work with.

Some burl wood offshoots develop regular growth rings that simply grow at an accelerated rate. This type of burl wood is not as sought after by artists as other forms because the patterns are not as interesting to look at. The majority of woodworking artists prefer burl wood that grows in irregular patterns that swirl and contain what are referred to as eyes — small spots that develop on the wood. While pieces with unusual patterns are the most desired form, they are also the most difficult to work with. This is because the irregular patterns make the wood harder to saw, chisel, and cut without splitting the wood or accidentally cutting it in the wrong direction."
http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-burl-wood.htm

"Apparently, little research has been done to confirm the cause or causes of burls. Available sources suggest that a burl could be caused by many environmental factors but the biology of burls on trees is not well known. To be sure, burls and galls may serve as secondary infection avenues for insects and diseases, but as a rule they do not appear to be harmful to most trees and maintain protective bark.
Symptoms:
These tree trunk infections called "burls" look like bumps or warty growths probably caused as a result of environmental injury. Cambial growth is hyper-stimulated as a way for the tree to isolate and contain the injury. Almost all burl wood is covered by bark, even when underground.
Often, a tree that has developed burl wood is still generally healthy. In fact, many trees with burl wood will go on to live for many years. Still, burl wood in vulnerable spots or with off-shooting growth can become so large and heavy that they create additional stress on a tree and can cause the tree to break apart."
z8dlWpp.jpg

http://forestry.about.com/od/foresthealth/p/disease_burl.htm
bd3BGNs.jpg

http://baynature.org/2014/03/12/poaching-redwood-burl-affects-trees-reproduction/

Last edited:

Snappo

Accessory Maker
From a galaxy far far away, we now have out-of-this-world Kiln-Dried exotic woods! ...E-Nano/HI/Underdog/Ed's Ready!!!
Afzelia Burl
qz2KPZO.jpg

6fUeIlN.jpg

Redwood Burl - will be cut in half for two blanks. If interested, let me know which half you want (top or bottom half).
Y4H7K1n.jpg

u2qYyxQ.jpg

XCxjA3b.jpg

Ultra-fine Olive wood for Wongs & Stems.
jrXEaeM.jpg

Last edited:

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
I'm as childish as I am forgetful... :ko:

You gonna update your old school Nano with some of this kiln-dried goodness, @flotntoke ?

I love the new stuff, @Snappo ! But I still like my blank the best... :D

You KNOW I am!!! Just figuring out the details and the budget. But soon, VERY soon, my fav vape will have a much sexier twin sister. Or, is that cousin? :lol:
For you youngins out there, google Patty Duke Show. :myday:

Snappo

Accessory Maker
Olive Wood from Bethlehem! Perfect for Wongs & Stems!

These very rare olive wood stem blanks are produced from the trimmings of the olive trees in the Holy Land, Bethlehem. This is an essential process for a healthier tree growth and helps to generate environmental stability. No Tree is ever damaged or destroyed in the process of harvesting this wood.

Size: 3/4"x 3/4" x 5" round, and pre-drilled 7mm.

Note: Each blank is dried for years & inspected for color, grain, free of defects and cracks.

A Certificate of Authenticity + Tag are included with every blank!
n19WfKW.jpg

eoGadof.jpg

Last edited:

Snappo

Accessory Maker
My UD is from this wood (stock piece, not custom), and it's really beautiful -- yay for Bethlehem Olive :rockon:
Yes! Olive Wood is quite beautiful and so unique! I just placed an order for 6 E-Nano/Underdog/Hi sized kiln-dried Olive Wood blanks this morning. Could take a while before they are ready, but I'll definitely post pics and advise when they're available. I also just ordered 6 more Afzelia Burl blanks like the beauties pictured above. Of the kiln-dried Afzelia burl blanks pictured, one remains - the larger of the two - dazzling! Going fast, but more on the way! Please stay posted by putting this thread on your alert preferences!

Top Bottom