Ever Wonder if Your Weed has Benn Artificially Flavoured???

Squiby

I am beginning to wonder if the weed I get from my local dispensary has been artificially flavour enhanced....

I have tried maybe 30+ strains in my life, so far :p and although there are clearly different flavour profiles, overt fruit flavours seem artificial. I have had Strawberry Cough, Strawberry Haze, Raspberry Cough, and none of these were really reminiscent of their name sake.

Then, lately, I got some Strawberry Sativa and Pineapple Express. They both had flavours that were over the top. The Pineapple Express tastes like actual pineapple and the Strawberry Sativa like strawberry jello.

What's going on? Has careful breeding really created these flavours or is this some kind of artificially conceived infusion?

diseaze

I'm no expert on the growing process and probably have less experience with different strains than most, but that's one of the reasons why I try to avoid the fruity-named strains. Of course, sometimes it's inevitable if I go to the dispensary and smell something really nice (but still not like candy). I'd imagine it's the same/similar artificial flavor added to the fruity papers, vape cartridges, etc., but I could be wrong.

KimDracula

I haven't had this experience with flower thankfully despite loving some fruity strains but when using some concentrates I have definitely been able to tell when they have added terpenes that are probably not cannabis-derived. When it comes to certain distillates and CO2 extractions I have come across very strong flavors that seem very artificial. Since the difference was so immediately apparent to me it makes me think you are probably on to something. If it tastes fake it probably is. I like flavorful stuff but it has to be genuine flavors. We don't want our weed tasting like artificially flavored candy, dammit.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
The name the strain of the cannabis doesn't always refer to the taste sometimes it's referring to the type of cannabis and what it is like while growing.

The banana kush is named that because it grows in large buds like a banana. I've had strawberry cough and it tastes nothing like strawberries but it makes me cough.

The strain Gorilla Glue is called that because of the sticky resin it produces. Often it's the color of the buds is why a particular strain is called a certain name. An area where a particular strain comes from I've heard in a name.

i like a strain called Grape Ape and the vapor has a grape berry taste the color is purple and green . It depends on who originally named the strain. I've had a strain called Agent Orange and it taste like orange. I find it interesting.

I live in WA state I've been going to dispensaries for over 2 years. I've never felt like the strains were artificially flavored. There have been a couple times where I felt like they got the strains mixed up.

Cannabis that's been around for a while will lose its smell and flavor. Air and heat will destroy its medicinal gualities.

I've had strains where I can't find any info at all about it. Sometimes a farmer will name a strain and doesn't have the name registered. He just names it for his own benefit.

What state do you live in? Maybe others have had experience.

Last edited:

Squiby

What state do you live in? Maybe others have had experience.

I live in Canada and get most of my meds mailorder from three dispensaries in Vancouver.

I have been smoking grass most of my life, I'm retired now, and have grown it a few times as well. Over the last few years, I have moved to vaping and have expanded my exposure to different strains through the medical dispensaries. Lately I have been pursuing the strains that supposedly offer fruity flavours. I like to peruse Leafly and read about the various strains available to me. It is astonishing that they have hundreds of strains catalogued.

What gets me is that they have these descriptions of the various favours that rarely present themselves. Take Bubble Gum buds for example. It is described at my dispensary as having a consistently and uniquely sweet flavour. I ordered it and it has no sweet taste whatsoever that I can detect at all. Maybe as you say, it's just a bit old.

Then at the other extreme, I have this Strawbery sativa that tastes like cool- aid and I am thinking.......can this even be real?

I would love to walk into a dispensary and have the luxury of smelling the product but I am in a very rural area with no dispensaries within a day's journey. I am going to try Agent Orange, which is available right now and if Grape Ape comes around I will try it too.

I have been enjoying the various flavours of the different strains but the ones that seemed artificial in flavour sent a red flag up for me.

It's a brave New world out there!!!

CarolKing

That's right we are all pioneers in the new age of recreational and medical cannabis. Just a few years ago I never knew what I was getting far as a name went. I might know if it was a sativa or indica from my black market friend. Often I wouldn't get any info.

The 90s is when the strains started to get really great. The beginning of the medical cannabis which paved the way for many of the strains we see today. A lot of new hybrids now of course. A big thank you to some of these early farmers in areas like Humbolt and Medocino counties in CA the first medical state.

Squiby

If your herb tasted 'literally' like strawberry and/or pineapple it has been adulterated with artificial flavoring. I would never go the that dispensary again.

Yeah. Totally exactly like.

i like a strain called Grape Ape and the vapor has a grape berry taste the color is purple and green
Grape ape definitely has grape like tones but it does still taste natural to me. I love this strain.

GRAPE APE IT IS!!! Now I just have to wait for it to come around up here.

Squiby,
Reactions: steama

diseaze

I have something called Blueberry Cookies that taste really amazing. Taste more like cookies than blueberry, maybe a blueberry muffin. Either way, there are strains out there that don't taste "artificial", but still have nice flavorings.

Poostuff

Please delete
A day or two before harvest you can "flush" plants with a mixture to impart any subtle flavour you want. This can be done naturally with mango juice for example, which I have no problem with, but I'm assuming this could also with artificial flavours to recreate fake strains. Yum :puke:

herbivore21

I wanted to suggest that it seems like there is some conflation of whether material is 'natural smelling' which is taken to indicate that this is natural and therefore safe to consume.

I have experienced a number of samples of cannabis that have had very 'unnatural' smells but that I can verify from seed to material were not adulterated and were properly flushed without additives (small-scale personal use connoisseur cultivators). We should not be surprised to learn this though. After all, there are varieties of cannabis that can smell like diesel and such!

It may be possible that the material in question is being adulterated to change the flavor, but I do not know of any specific examples where this has taken place in the past. Is this a regulated dispensary? Do they provide test results for their material? Any unusually high concentrations of terpenes commonly derived from other cheaper sources may be a dead giveaway of terpene adulteration to add flavor. Still, I don't know of any actual cases where this is being done in a dishonest way.

Looking at the cannabis flowers under a 60x magnification should allow you to see the resin heads too. Are the trichome stalks and glands intact and looking as they should?

Look under magnification for slender stalks with a little ball on the end, this ball is the resin gland - there are other kinds of trichomes of course but these are the most common. The stalks tend to be clear. The glands can be clear, cloudy, yellow, gold, amber all the way to dark brown depending on maturity and environmental factors.

When you look, if the heads/glands seem partially/fully dissolved, this may indicate that a spray on terpene solution was used.

Of course, to tell whether solution of the heads within a terpene adulterant has taken place, you need to have a good idea of the spectrum of what normal, quality resin heads can look like. If you can get pics, I'm happy to assist :) This is still not conclusive, just one possible indicator that additives have been used.

We should all also remember that cannabis varieties are not internally homogeneous in phenotype (the physical expression of a given plants genetics) or chemotype (the chemical profile of a given plant).

In plain English, what I mean is that not every sample of nugs from different or even the same 'Grape Ape' plant (nor any other variety) is gonna smell the same. Both within-plant and between-plant variation in smell/chemotype will be related to factors such as environmental influences (where relevant light placement, temp, humidity and almost infinitely many other factors) as well as the genetic crapshoot involved in cannabis plant reproduction (obviously use of clones changes the situation). Someone could have something that has the same 'strain name' as your material but smells, tastes and/or looks quite different. Consider especially those varieties that can have unusual purple phenotypes, when usually the same variety would be a more traditional green/earthy tone.

Aside from this, I should note that the taste of flowers can be altered drastically due to flushing additives used at the end of cultivation as mentioned above, as well as if the cultivator didn't flush properly/at all (this can lead to some really nasty flavors indeed!). Foreign contamination is also possible.

I would personally not want to consume anything that was not fully flushed or given a flavor additive type flushing medium (whether 'natural' or not). As a medical extract consumer, I don't want foreign shit being put into a flowering plant just prior to harvest regardless of the intended effect. Many additives that people do not notice a difference from when using flowers can have a profound effect on the resin for those extracting it.

We also hardly fully understand the makeup and safety of boiled cannabis flower aerosols (complex mixtures of a great many compounds already as they are!) from the cleanest and most unadulterated of grows yet, let alone when we add other stuff that has never been studied for this purpose to the mix (even stuff that would be fine to drink directly, like mango juice for example). Still, you guys make your own decision on this stuff, I'm not here to try and persuade you, just sayin' my position ;)

On a related note; even other seemingly-salubrious treatments like neem oil can require painstaking work to remove from concentrates for the discerning extract artist!

Wow, this became a super long and tangential post. I hope it is helpful just the same!

Last edited:

UnidenWallet

There's a place around here that sells clones of popular strains. They have this cut of Super Lemon Haze that I've grown twice on separate occasions, and both times the strain ended up ZESTY LEMON, if you brushed your finger across a cola it smelled like LEMON PLEDGE, and was just straight up PUNGENT with no extra shit added.

It's all genetics, bro.

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
If your herb tasted 'literally' like strawberry and/or pineapple it has been adulterated with artificial flavoring. I would never go the that dispensary again.

:2c:
That statement is so wrong, I hope no newcomers read and believe that. I've got some Strawberry Lifesaver right now that exhibits a super strong strawberry flavor and I can GUARANTEE you it's not any additives that are the cause of the flavor. I would of expected a statement like that back in the 90's, but can't imagine it now with soooo much good cannabis out there.

I work with cannabis in a legal, professional grow every day and the 3 most important factors to growing quality weed are genetics, followed by genetics, and rounding out with genetics.

I am very well aware that companies are removing/reintroducing terps when making CO2 distallations, ie, Clear Concentrates is one who comes to mind. But not aware of any decent grower adulterating the natural flavors of their cannabis. These terps will fill and coat your mouth so much that it will overpower anything you eat or drink right after inhaling a dab. I can pick out reintroduced terp concentrates without a hitch, totally different products comparing like Clear Concentrates Blue Raz and say a live resin made from nug run Blue Skunk. You can tell the Blue Raz is artificial unless you don't have tastebuds, it tastes like a Blue Slurpee.

I have concentrates that strongly taste of strawberry, lemon, blueberry, cherry, gas, glue, banana, and more. And they all have those flavors/tastes becuase of the flower they were made with, not an additive. My favorite, Butterscotch by Green Dot Labs(which is a BC Vanilla Kush x Instant Karma), easily comes off with a Woerther's Originals or those butterscotch hard candies in the yellow crinkly wrapper you got as a kid. A terpy punch in the mouth if you will.

Genetics, good grow techniques, and a proper cure are all that is needed to get great tasting cannabis. I would highly suggest changing dispensaries to see what else is available to you. Many companies can /will grow cananbis that looks nice, but due to rush or bad cure(gotta make that money), can render it tasting like hay or worse.

Last edited:

Baron23

I most certainly defer to others here with more experience with growing, and in particular anyone working in a legal grow facility. But, I will add that I have had Blueberry, Lemon Haze, and Strawberry Banana and all three had tastes that reflected their name and I know that these three instances were not adulterated in any way at any time.

No, they did not taste like a lollipop....but all did have the subtle flavor of their names in the vapor.

YungLeaner

@Squiby I'm offering a very informed perspective here, as a former dispensary worker, but I want to be clear that this is a Los Angeles perspective, and I do not have much or really any knowledge about the cannabis industry in other states.

There ABSOLUTELY are dispensaries out there that sell "enhanced" flavor strains. I had a friend come over one day with a few different strains--I believe an "Alaskan Thunderfuck" and a "Blueberry OG."

The instant I smoked them I knew something was wrong. The Alaskan tasted like menthol--that distinctly icy, "cold" flavor, totally unnatural to cannabis grown normally. The blueberry tasted like artificial blueberry flavoring. It was a shame, too, real frosty nugs that looked very nice.

In my experience this only happens at shadier dispensaries, which oddly enough are sometimes the more expensive dispensaries. In the San Fernando Valley, where I live, there are a NUMBER of very low-priced shops with remarkable product. I'm talking 30$ an eighth for top shelf bud. When you get out to the West Hollywood area, or Beverly Hills, the prices jump up a SHIT ton and the marketing techniques are shadier as well.

A lot of people are against AUMA passing this year, but I think they are wrong and underestimating the issues currently within the medical marijuana industry.

At least 50% of the extract companies in LA are gang-affiliated and make the bulk of their money shipping wax illegally to the East Coast, NYC in particular.

I can also tell you from working at a dispensary myself that unless you are at a high-end place where they have their own grow op and lab tests, then you don't know what strain you are actually smoking.

The vast majority of dispensaries get most of their product from growers that walk into the dispensary with a huge garbage bag of weed. When you ask them what strain it is, they usually think for a second and mumble something vague like "Pineapple OG" or "Purple Haze."

People like to talk about the strains they are currently using as if they know for sure what it is, but they simply are wrong. Most of the time, strain naming goes something like this: "Uh, yeah, this looks like an OG. Let's put it under banana OG."

There are a few strains distinctive enough in their appearance that if the dispensary is honest, the strain name is real. Girl Scout Cookies have a distinctive look, as does Gorilla Glue--GG is nearly always going to have a sort of odd, leafy appearance no matter the trim because of how it goes.

But it's bullshit more than half the time. Dispensary owners don't give a fuck whether you're smoking GrandDaddy Purp or Skywalker OG. It's too bad but it's true.

There are a few strain names that I can almost guarantee are fake no matter the dispensary because of the relative rarity of the genetics in the SoCal area. Green Crack and White Widow are almost NEVER green crack and white widow. Poison OG, Fire OG on the other hand, are both usually what they say they are.

The OG grows are very popular these days because they form tight little nugs that are very good for extraction purposes. There's a lottttt of OG in CA these days.

wrigleyvillain

A Song of Ice and Vapor
Yeah there are other cannabis terpene charts too just Google.

As for YungLeaners comments, the medical law in IL, for example, is way too restrictive...however it does 'protect patients' in some key ways and keep BS like this from happening. The source is always known and can be trusted, for one. No random garbage bags full of weed are sold as medicine. And certainly no freaking artificial flavors...WTF? If thats your thing roll a grape-flavored blunt ffs.

GetLeft

My guy's usually pretty good with naming the strains he carries, and usually has different strains each time I pick some up. But he's had the same stuff the last two times I've purchased, without giving it a name. Super sticky inside and out. And super skunky smelling. I'm thinking he might be moving stuff from a local indoor grow that's working off clones. Anyway, it has a very noticeable green lifesaver taste the first hit or two at low temps. The stickiness / flavor aspects made me wonder if it had been treated with something. But I've pulled the buds apart on several occasions, see nothing unusual at 8x magnification, and it's just as sticky inside as it is outside. Nothing rubbing off on the mason jars I keep it in, or the little tin I use to carry my daily stash. Gives a great buzz with no unusual side effects, so, while I have had my moments of doubt, I chalk it up to variety. Looking forward to the day I can grow my own. But that's quite a way off, unfortunately.

CarolKing

@YungLeaner ive had cannabis strains where the cannabis had a cool vapor taste, such as the strain permafrost. I didn't feel that it had been flavored at all. I only know the cannabis in the Pacific Northwest area.

I've been going to dispensaries for a little over 2 years. Before that I was getting my medicine from the black market and towards the end sometimes knew the names of the strains. Before that I kever knew what I was getting. I would notice some strains do give a cooling effect to the vapor even when I didn't know the strain.

It's good to go to a dispensary that you trust and can ask questions. I've wondered if I'm getting what they are telling me. There have been times where the bud tender knew less than I did, that's not good. You want them to know more than you. In that case I don't go back.

Last edited:

Squiby

It's good to go to a dispensary that you trust and can ask questions. I've wondered if I'm getting what they are telling me. There have been times where the bud tender knew less than I did, that's not good. You want them to know more than you. In that case I don't go back.

Yeah. I have called my dispensaries to enquire about a specific strain or request they bring in more high CBD strains. One dispensary did not know what strains were high in CBD. I guess maybe CBD is not highly sought after out here, but you would think that they could offer some insight or basic knowledge of these medical strains.

wrigleyvillain

A Song of Ice and Vapor
Yeah let's face it that's no way to operate especially for people who truly need this as medicine. When I bitch about the laws in the midwest its mainly the overbearing restrictions against the patients themselves specifically those meant to keep it off the black market...the ones for the dispensaries and cultivation/processing centers (separate licensees here) result in these businesses being much more professional and a lot more like pharmacies as they really should be.

Rec is a different story...to a degree.

Last edited:
wrigleyvillain,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
I recently got some Grape Ape from the dispensary that was super grape ring pop flavoured, tasted and looked like stuff I got off the street years ago. At the time, years ago, I had wondered if it had been artificially flavoured, but am sure the dispensary wouldn't pull anything like that. So presumably natural delicious grape flavour both times.

Now, not actually my favourite effects...but as far as pure deliciousness goes it is definitely the tastiest I have ever had.

rabblerouser,
Reactions: Squiby

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
There's additives that some growers add in the last week of harvest to ripen and finish the flowering. Some of them are flavored. I used to see bud that was overdone with grape flavor. The problem with these flavorings is that it indicates that the plant was not likely properly flushed, so it might have hydro nutrients left in the plant that are being masked.

Luckily, dispensaries here are very good about not buying from growers that cut corners like this.

syrupy,
Reactions: Squiby

DrewVape

Wanted to add this info/rant to the thread.

I started vaping years ago. The taste is one of the best parts. That deep, sugary, rich flavor you feel low in the gut and on exhale. Vaped herb from all over the world. Always the same, but always different. Lets just say I know what Cannabis flavors can and can't be, by finding the common threads and identifying what combos create what scents. The spices, and fumes, the candies, swampiness,subtle fruitiness, etc. Traditionally, the scent comes with a flavor that doesn't always match, but usually does relate. Natural weed never tasted bad, whether it was from Algeria or Oregon. Always that rich hashy sugar-spice taste at the minimum.

Around 2013 or so, I ran across the fake smell for the first time. It was lemon kush with a strong lemon smell. Lemon kush is a favorite of mine, but forgetting that lemon strains remind you of lemons rather than shouting "LEMON PEELS", I bought a large quantity. The taste was bitter, it left a black residue in my vape, restricted my breathing, and the effects were bad. I had lots of complaints. I had been 'lemoned' as the crew came to know it.

Didn't take long to track the product down: Botanicare Sweet Citrus. Full of magnesium and sulfurs. Then another batch of bad bud. Grown with GH Floranectar. And another batch:AN Budcandy. Entire grows in CO: distinct Cutting Edge Sour Dee smell. These are expensive adulterants marketed as "scent boosters". The black or red crust on the vape glass is a dead ringer for unflushed carbo products.

Snake oil gimmick products put out by the hydro industry.. Anyone know Brawndo? "Its what plants crave" lol. I think the agenda is to remove 'natural' from the collective conciousness. Back in the day we fed our soil carbs(molasses) weeks before harvest, but today they grow in inert mediums so the sugars are a direct contaminant fed up until the last day. Even with a proper flush, you can detect the fake smell and ruined taste. They plump up premature buds, make them frosty looking and make them heavier. And gives the lawn clippings smell of dispensary weed an extra smell. Its no different than weed that has been sprayed with sugar water,Tastypuff, honey, or coca cola. Its the same exact thing. Sugar adds weight, adds frost, inflames bud fiber. Suckers have interpreted this to mean something other than what it really is. There's an entire market for bag appeal gimmicks. Fake frost, fake terps,fake colors, fake stickiness, and bud plumpers. Not to mention all the other poisons used to hide mold: Eagle20, Azadirachtin, raw milk, h202, bowling shoe spray. But thats another story.

These Monsanto owned companies put out bad science saying these scented sugar loaders arent absorbed, that its feeding non-existent microbial life. Thats absolute nonsense. I have pictures of the sugars oozing out of swelling buds. You can taste it right there, or wait and taste it in the finished product.

Now I know the right and wrong about flavoring Cannabis. Cannabis absorbs from its environment. Dryer sheet bud is very distinct.

All the bud grown with the sugar boosters, it smells unnatural and tastes very bad. Its a hydroponic thing. You cant get that rich flavor or complex smell from hydro. So the growers just fake the smell, since novice weekend smokers seeking a token sack for party mode are the lowest common denominator and target market.

Real Blueberry: smells and tastes like a skunk got into a sour blueberry patch. Fake Blueberry: Smells like GH Floranectar Blueberry Dream,or Grotek Blueberry Final Flush, taste like synthetic fertilizer or air.

Real lemon strains: smells like zesty cedar tree stumps, taste like space candy. Fake lemon strains:Smells like Ozium air freshener, taste like Ozium air freshener.

There's one dispensary that uses fruit juice. Its not gross, but it kills the natural flavor and smell..i don't get it.

People need to demand transparency. Instead of letting the inexperienced steer the market. Its Monsantos wet dream right now, since killing nature (soil and stomachs) is their main agenda,and they own most the hydroponic industry responsible for this nauseating product!

Bottom line: old school growers did things right. The hydroponic commercial grows only care about the least common denominator. The Black market is thriving off of quality. The white market has none to speak of!

Only fake seed-grown airbud, speed grown speed dried HAYBAILS sprayed with orange peel extract! (Or more specifically, fed through the root, but that starts a whole new argument, as most people refuse to admit thats how it works! ). If the smell is better than the flavor, its fake. That simple.

I paid hundreds for a AZ MMJ card.. Only to find out its a corporate-sponsored market viability experiment. Selling billions in useless placebo trim-wax pens with fake terps! Legal weed;corporate weed;fake weed: big monies' dream come true! That Charlotte's Web you buy for your sick kid is probably M39 sprayed with "Charlotte's terp blend" ! Every dispensary sells the fake stuff! Out of the 100 Ive tried! Even shown legit weed at some shops, then getting fake hydro in the package. They keep the real stuff for themselves. They know what they are doing. Some won't even let you see the product at all.Then you get home and the spicy natural buds you picked are some fake dirty crap.

This has been my experience in Socal, Az, and Co. Most growers dont realize they are ruining their product from day one by using these hydroponic nute lines. They never grew non-commercial genetics with dirt n water, so they don't have a clue what natural cannabis even is. Hydroponics is the worst thing to happen to plants. Once you do a side by side, you realize hydro is virtually a shell of a product, with a corrupt market attached to it.

I wont buy cantaloupes fed with watermelon candy. I want watermelons. I don't want zero brix hydromatoes that taste like lettuce, no i want a 15brix tomatoe that actually has nutrition in it? WHY SHOULD WEED BE ANY DIFFERENT??

Right now the imported black pepper in my kitchen has the weedy lemon smell. You wouldn't think lemons until someone told you. I cant find this smell in any dispensary. The street dealers have it. Heck, the prebiotics Im taking smell more like weed than anything in the taxed dispensaries! Fake, low grade weed marketed as something better is here to stay. Grapefruit never tasted so bad.. Like the little pink pine trees in my hippy van! My god!

Last edited:
Top Bottom