Evaporation question.

GenYHippie

New to this whole concentrate deal. Ive been reading and narrowing down the various methods and decided to go with a 97% isopropyl freezer extraction since im only using this one for topicals. So im wondering about how long would it take for it to naturally evaporate at a room temp of average 72F if covered with a coffee filter?

My dispensary wont be carrying the topical anymore and i use it daily so im trying to recreate something close. Im wondering if i need to find a safe low heat method or if room temp will be fast enough. If its going to take more than a week to reduce 8oz starting volume ill have to decide how to speed it up

GenYHippie,

sickmanfraud

My suggestion would be to put the 8 oz in a pie plate or bowl. Cover with cheese cloth or a stocking so no dirt gets in.

If you run a fan over the top of the plate you will have no problem with a heat free evaporation.

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
My suggestion would be to put the 8 oz in a pie plate or bowl. Cover with cheese cloth or a stocking so no dirt gets in.

If you run a fan over the top of the plate you will have no problem with a heat free evaporation.
Agreed. I believe the greater the surface area the faster the evaporation.

amberevil

Im a fan of fans. I evaporate a lot of 99 percent iso and I use a fan and hot plate on really low and it gets done in a day or two. Im talking a gallon though. But if its just for tropical you dont have to do it in the freezer, that will make your yeilds smaller. You can do it that way. I do that to fan leaves to make canna caps. I have a thread for it hear you should check out and ask me if you have any questions. http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/iso-extraction-canna-caps.17805/
If you continue to do it in the freezer I suggest an extremely long soak. I do an hour for the caps but, why not a day or two for topical.

GenYHippie

Thank you , wow glad its so easy! I have just the glass pie plate for the job :)

Agreed. I believe the greater the surface area the faster the evaporation.

Thank you

Im a fan of fans. I evaporate a lot of 99 percent iso and I use a fan and hot plate on really low and it gets done in a day or two. Im talking a gallon though. But if its just for tropical you dont have to do it in the freezer, that will make your yeilds smaller. You can do it that way. I do that to fan leaves to make canna caps. I have a thread for it hear you should check out and ask me if you have any questions. http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/iso-extraction-canna-caps.17805/
If you continue to do it in the freezer I suggest an extremely long soak. I do an hour for the caps but, why not a day or two for topical.

Wow yeah if you can do a gallon that fast im now sure the 8oz wont be a problem. For topicals why no freezer? I thought it sped up alcohol extractions? Ive only made one tincture so im on the low end of the learning curve. Oh i did my oral tincture for a week lol im somewhat patient ;). Thanks for the linkl ill check it out

GenYHippie,

amberevil

The freezer does not speed up the extraction, it might even slow it down but im only guessing.

What the freezer does is, make a more selective(potent, better tasting) concentrate. It freezes the lipids, fats, and waxes, I think maybe even chlorophyll and other stuff.

You dont have to worry about taste because your not eating it. As for potency, I have never made a topial but its a relatively small percentage difference I assume.

DabComa

Stuck in Dab Coma
Increased Surface area increases the reaction of anything, e.g. a shot glass of water will eventually evaporate, but nowhere near as fast as if you put one shot of water into a 12 inch frying pan (no heat).
the reason we freeze is because chlorophyll is incabable of binding to our solvents below a certain temperature, or at least so I have been lead to believe.

Top Bottom