Ethics, Karma and Grasshopper Warranty Discussion

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
I'm having trouble seeing what the issue here is.

Warranty is offered with a new GH. Any used one doesn't qualify. Maybe should, but doesn't.

Subway had an interesting experience:

"They wouldnt transfer warranty but caroline was cool enough to attach my address to the hopper wo at least it will get sent back to me and not og owner and then he hqve to ship to me and all that crap. Overall it has ben painless so far."

So without transferring the warranty, they are performing warranty service for the buyer of the used GH? Does that mean the warranty is in the original purchasers name, but GHL will switch the address to the second buyer? Are they creating a policy of workaround on the warranty owner, or are they just making an exception because it's a new company? @subway13029 , what did the original owner do for you in this case? Did they contact GHL for you? Did they allow their name to be used with your address? Could you give more details about what Caroline told you?

subway13029

The original owner filed the claim for me after I had already emailed Caroline back and forth asking if I could purchase the warranty or if any exceptions could be made because I'm from the school of it doesn't hurt to ask. Well she said if it was registered then only the original owner could file a claim which my original owner did and I asked Caroline if as long as he did the claim could the just send it straight to me instead of him then me? And she conferred with original owner and he said it was kosher so there we go, but I've had a few parts shipped to me and it comes in my name and my address obviously..not sure if they did this because I was upfront I my asking and I developed a decent rapport with Caroline? But I get no sort of communication from hopper only from my original owner..who has been bomb ass helpful.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I think the naming of this thread and it's initial direction has been a turn-off.
Gonna try a warranty question, see if anyone's here...

I have a Hopper that went to fast flashing lights, plus a couple of other odd but intermittent behaviors.
I opened a warranty request on HL site and have been instructed to "return" the SS Grasshopper, the whole thing including charger and battery.
My question is, should I use the original box to ship it in?
Seems I don't need to keep the box forever, since it's already been registered, just wondering if anyone knows whether I'd get the box back for certain?

vapviking,

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
I think the naming of this thread and it's initial direction has been a turn-off.

I have a Hopper that went to fast flashing lights, plus a couple of other odd but intermittent behaviors.
I opened a warranty request on HL site and have been instructed to "return" the SS Grasshopper, the whole thing including charger and battery.
Seems I don't need to keep the box forever, since it's already been registered, just wondering if anyone knows whether I'd get the box back for certain?
Yes, this thread has been a disappointment. It's original purpose would have been most helpful and instructive given all the warranty returns we've seen lately.

Good question about the box. Having registered the hopper, I would use the original box to minimize the chances of the unit being damaged in shipping, which would complicate the diagnosis/repair process.

No idea about the certainty of getting it back, but how else would they send it if not in your box?
:2c:

Mr. Me2

I suggest emailing Caroline with the question. Since they want the whole unit, they may replace it, in which case your box has no purpose (other than for sentimental reasons); you'll get a new unit with new numbers. If they repair yours, I can't imagine they would return it without any box. And we know that the number on the box is important for warranty purposes.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I now regret procrastinating about registering and returning my SS hopper for the past week+.
Now my Ti has gone to the quick alternating flashing, and I've just sent in a request for help.
Three day holiday weekend. Hermine coming up the coast. Just great. I'm out of Hoppers.
Is this where the 'karma' part of this thread kicks in? But I don't feel like this one's on me...

Well, for now we revert to life before hoppers, such a long, long month ago. At times like this I appreciate the virtues of the Mighty even more.

vapviking,
Reactions: ktmstick

moondog

I now regret procrastinating about registering and returning my SS hopper for the past week+.
Now my Ti has gone to the quick alternating flashing, and I've just sent in a request for help.
Three day holiday weekend. Hermine coming up the coast. Just great. I'm out of Hoppers.
Is this where the 'karma' part of this thread kicks in? But I don't feel like this one's on me...

Well, for now we revert to life before hoppers, such a long, long month ago. At times like this I appreciate the virtues of the Mighty even more.
Sorry you're left high and dry and hope Hermine doesn't hurt you.

moondog,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

Mr. Me2

So sorry to hear your news. I'm busy charging everything in case of Hermine power outages.

Mr. Me2,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Hermine looks worse than it was..you will be fine

Signed
Florida
My reference to Hermine was alluding to maybe a long weekend holed up at home (Hopper-less!) because of rain. Glad you are fine. Some others have had some shit come down on them; loss of property, monetary loss for businesses on the holiday, people's vacations turned around due to disrupted travel plans, etc., and I empathize with their hardship. It all tends to put my fuss about broken hopper in perspective.

subway13029

was just joking, of course i understand all of the destruction and problems associated with a major storm. was just trying to spread a little humor. i knew what you meant btw.

subway13029,
Reactions: vapviking

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Busy time here at the warranty processing hub - at my house.
This past Saturday I reported that my Ti hopper had a problem and I'd just submitted request for help. That was the worst timing, on Labor Day weekend. It took until today (Weds.) to hear back that they'll send a new body out. I needed some encouraging news today.
About an hour after that Saturday post I got a call from loving daughter, who got flashing lights on the unit I gave here from my pre-order a month ago. She is uncomfortable with registering in her name, so I'll do that on my account (even though I really, really think she'll live longer than I). This means possibly doubling up on mailings since she's in a different state. Oh, well. She's yet to send me the id numbers to start the registration.
MEANWHILE, finally took my other hopper, a ss unit, to the post office today, on it's way back to Boulder for diagnosis.
My other daughter has the fourth hopper from that order and is using it lightly, occasionally. :\
So, after waiting a year, 3 out of 4 did not last a month. I'm beginning to wonder... :hmm:

moondog

This past Saturday I reported that my Ti hopper had a problem and I'd just submitted request for help. That was the worst timing, on Labor Day weekend. It took until today (Weds.) to hear back that they'll send a new body out. I needed some encouraging news today.
About an hour after that Saturday post I got a call from loving daughter, who got flashing lights on the unit I gave here from my pre-order a month ago. She is uncomfortable with registering in her name, so I'll do that on my account (even though I really, really think she'll live longer than I). This means possibly doubling up on mailings since she's in a different state. Oh, well. She's yet to send me the id numbers to start the registration.
MEANWHILE, finally took my other hopper, a ss unit, to the post office today, on it's way back to Boulder for diagnosis.
My other daughter has the fourth hopper from that order and is using it lightly, occasionally. :\
So, after waiting a year, 3 out of 4 did not last a month. I'm beginning to wonder... :hmm:
What a drag.

Mr. Me2

So sorry to hear! Lousy stats. The good news is that I'm confident ghl will make it right.

Patience, Grasshopper.

(If you're wondering, that was a Kung Fu reference...)

hillbill

Any company that puts off deliveries to customers for months and quibbles over warranties and pouts about backing their product is one I will stay away from. Been in sales/service over 30 years and their stand is bullshit. No respect!

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Any company that puts off deliveries to customers for months and quibbles over warranties and pouts about backing their product is one I will stay away from. Been in sales/service over 30 years and their stand is bullshit. No respect!
There have been lots of bumps and delays, but I don't agree that there's been quibbles over warranties nor pouting coming out of Hopper Labs. So far, reports are that warranty service is very good.
You are welcome to stay on the sidelines, even as others are hopping around. Crowdfunding is a model with which not everyone can be comfortable.

hillbill

Crowd funding has nothing to do with customer service and why all the warranty issues with such a great product? Seems to be a bit of denial in Hopperland. Sorry if your a fan but this is not the first crowd funded vape, just the one with the most drama.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Crowd funding has nothing to do with customer service and why all the warranty issues with such a great product? Seems to be a bit of denial in Hopperland. Sorry if your a fan but this is not the first crowd funded vape, just the one with the most drama.

I agree, crowd funding has little to do with c/s. It had, in the case of the hopper, a lot to do with product development and production tooling. C/S took a back seat, suffered the growing pains and still does. I've been willing to go on the ride patiently, I'm an 'investor' and now an owner. Done this all with some actual time spent weighing my needs/wants/curiosities/wallet AND my best guess at the odds for success. I do have an admitted bias, I have a vested interest at this point, but I'm not so naive as to think the whole project couldn't implode.

No one here has any idea of the real return/warranty service rate. There are now at least a few thousand released; we only know stories of our own and some other posters on the web.

I don't give a crap about other crowd funded vapes, and I certainly don't care about the drama.
What I do know now is that the fucking thing works great.
Have you tried one?

hillbill

No, I just kept seeing on other forums of long waits followed by longer waits and rescheduling and mconstant promises. The next wait often seems for getting one that works.

Where I live, the only way to try a vape is buy one. I am sure some others vape near me but I don't know them. I have several vapes and none just stopped working or had any major problems. With smaller issues, most venders have been great.

hillbill,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
My warranty request from last Sat. morning (3 day weekend, oy) had a response from Caroline on this past Weds., that a new Ti body would be sent out. Late on Friday (yesterday) I got a shipping conf. of same, due to me on Monday.
Also, yesterday a second hopper (SS) reached HL. Instructions were to return Hopper, charger and battery. I mailed it Weds. from East Coast, first class cost $3.02 US. Got to them in two days!
It was tempting to write them and suggest they could save $ by mailing all together, Ti body, new/repaired SS and of course a long overdue leather case, but, nah...

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Not many posters here on the Hopper warranty thread, maybe there are just no issues to report (?).
I doubt that.

Now Monday, Ti hopper replacement body arrived in bubble envelope, period. No wrapper, box, baggie, just floatin' in there. No problem. 5 business days from my claim, plus 2 weekends and a holiday...
Four cycles on high for burn off. Very slight new car odor from chamber I didn't notice with two other hopper bodies when new, but really minor, now gone.
Thing works great. Same excellent fit and finish as the body it is replacing. Threads all nice and smooth, etc.
It's nice to have a hopper back up and running.

Top Bottom