Ethanol Tincture into oil?

UnevenPizza

I dream of Pizza
Hey everyone,

I just recently tried to make a tincture out of ABV. I used 80% (190 Proof) Grain alcohol, and now have it in a little dropper bottle.

My Question is, can I heat it until the alcohol is evaporated, and add some other liquid (like oil) to contain the cannabinoids? I don't drink and am not keen on swishing around high proof alcohol in my mouth if there's a different way.

I'm very new to anything other than vaping, or straight up eating the ABV in a sandwich (which I would recommend against haha) so any help is appreciated (point me in the right direction), my chemistry knowledge is not so great.

Thanks!

UnevenPizza,

Baron23

Hey everyone,

I just recently tried to make a tincture out of ABV. I used 80% (190 Proof) Grain alcohol, and now have it in a little dropper bottle.

My Question is, can I heat it until the alcohol is evaporated, and add some other liquid (like oil) to contain the cannabinoids? I don't drink and am not keen on swishing around high proof alcohol in my mouth if there's a different way.

I'm very new to anything other than vaping, or straight up eating the ABV in a sandwich (which I would recommend against haha) so any help is appreciated (point me in the right direction), my chemistry knowledge is not so great.

Thanks!
I don't see any reason why not.

hans solo

Left coast Canada
Try MCT oil, it is how I am planning to finish my 70% absinthe abv tincture.
Watch the heat I believe the boiling temperature of alcohol is 200f

UnevenPizza

I dream of Pizza
I always used coconut oil for edibles, and I have olive oil (which I was thinking of using, to keep everything liquid) or a mix of both.

Would you add the oil to the tincture and then boil/evap, or wait until the alcohol is evapped and then add oil? I only ask because a few days ago, I used a water bath to boil off the alcohol from the first tincture, and added water later, but a lot of material seems to not really dissolve into the water. I think I might have boiled it too fast/hot though.

I added some soy lecithin to it because I thought it might emulsify everything and now it looks rather weird. Still working on finding out how much I need to feel something.

UnevenPizza,

sickmanfraud

If you have added water and lecithin (an emulsifier) you may be totally out of luck. 95% ethanol will boil at 160 -170 F.

Try evaporating the water once the water is out of your AVB tincture you can add coconut oil and hopefully have a tincture.

I am not sure what you mean by the material? Was that the first or second tincture? Was the material AVB or cannabis oil??

If you make a proper Green Dragon tincture your dose should be low enough to add 10 drops into coffee and the ethanol flashes off. Coconut oil will sit on the top of coffee and will not mix in (under normal circumstances).

sickmanfraud,

UnevenPizza

I dream of Pizza
Sorry, I didn't explain it so well! I only had AVB, both tinctures were from 190 Proof Grain alc, and I transformed the first into water, the second into oil.

I just evapped almost all of the alcohol off and added some olive oil, and a tablespoon of coconut oil (just in case ;)) and I think it's ok.

It's not as strong as if using fresh bud, so I need a few droppers to feel something / the buzz isn't as strong, more of a Body effect, as is common with avb. I did notice that when I used the oil tincture, I could smell a bit of it the next day in the bathroom, but not with the water tincture.

UnevenPizza,

hans solo

Left coast Canada
I water cured 2oz of ABV for a week dried it in the oven at 200F and have now added my 70% alcohol absinthe.
Any suggestions on the length of time to let it soak?

UnevenPizza

I dream of Pizza
Some people say only a few shakes and about an hour in the freezer, others up to three weeks in a dark cool place.

I always wanted to do everything as fast as possible, so I just left it in the freezer for a few hours/overnight (cause i had time) - I think most of the cannabinoids are extracted very quickly, and having it sit longer may just increase the potency by a few % - but I'm no scientist and have hardly a clue myself ;)

UnevenPizza,
Reactions: hans solo

UnevenPizza

I dream of Pizza
I am curious what freezing does?
My understanding is that because the water/liquids in the plant material freeze and thereby increase in volume, bursting open Cell Membranes/Walls and allowing more content to be released, but there may be other reasons.

UnevenPizza,

kentlamh

you should freeze both ethanol and botanical overnight before make your tincture. Because in normal temp, the-water-in-your-alcohol will absorb some water-soluble things like "chlorophyll" immediately and your tincture will taste like an old bitch :))
check out posts from Shunk Pharm, search for "QWET" and "QWISO" for more info

Top Bottom