Ethanol instead of ISO to make hash oil?

VapMonkey

Just wondering whether it is safe to do hash oil extractions on ABV with ethanol rather than Isopropinol.

A friend of mine has a still, and I can get pure ethanol for free if I want, so it'd save some money and the effort of shopping around for pure ISO. Just not sure if it'd work/be safe.

Also, the first lot of alcohol to come out of the still in each batch is apparantly undrinkable and possibly toxic. Would it be safe to use this "undrinkable" ethanol to extract hash oil, rather than just disposing of it?

VapMonkey,

VapMonkey

Okay, so I found out that ethanol is actually safer than isopropyl for this purpose.

Still curious whether the first lot of alcohol out of the still, which is aparrantly too toxic to drink would leave toxic residues or not, if used to extract the hash oil... Hopefully somebody can help me out...

VapMonkey,
I wouldn't use that stuff!

The toxic substances that are produced are called "fusel oils" and are Amyl alcohol and some other nasty esters. You may be able to heat it and evaporate it out but it is oily and I would think some would remain and at the least make it taste nasty.

Just get him to give you some of the drinkable stuff. It doesn't take that much.

Howie Feltersnatch,

VapMonkey

Ahh, I figured they might evaporate off, since they'd already evaporated out of the wort/water in the still at a fairly low temperature. Just wasn't sure whether they'd totally evaporate without leaving traces the second time, particularly if I just left it to air dry rather than heating it.

I think I'll take your advice and just not risk it. I'll stick to the pure stuff and the pharmacy grade isopropinol.

VapMonkey,
Top Bottom