ethanol alcohol extraction on BHO

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I would probably skip that step, and just do a quick wash anyway. The distiller was the attraction for the video, recapturing your solvent so you can reuse it... that was what caught my attention.

jambandphan03,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
The great thing about a still like that is you can make your own high % alcohol very cheaply with it. So, even if everclear is unavailable, you can just get cheap vodka or super yeast brew and run it through the still to get a much higher % alcohol out of it.

J.R.R.Tokin',

weedemon

enthusiast
so glad i tired this with crappy oil instead of my primo stuff! wow :p lucky move there eh? :D

*edit

I was thinking though wouldn't the methanol evap out just like the ethanol will? haha no no no... not worth the ristk lol ill cut my losses.

weedemon,

weedemon

enthusiast
The product I bought: http://files.medisca.com/pdfs/en-ca/msds/ethanoldenaturedethylalcohol.pd

methyl alcohol [BP 65C]
http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927227
metyl isobutyl ketone [BP 116C]
http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927359
ethyl acetate [BP 77 C]
http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927165

these are what are in my alcohol in brackets are the boiling points of each... DAMN YOU metyl isobutyl ketone, this means i must go at least that hot (116C) to evap it all out. all of the things in there will evap though! So maybe my experiment isn't ruined? Im thinking an oven purge to be sure it's good an hot. (i know ill lose some of the good stuff too from too much heat.)

What do you guys reckon?

weedemon,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I don't think that you will loose much of the good stuff but you will alter it by degrading thc to other cannabinoids (like decarbing hash ) .. so end result will be a dark stony still tasty product IMO :).
Except if there are other additives than alcohol like bittering agents and stuff.

Abysmal Vapor,

weedemon

enthusiast
so to be safe lets say i take it to 125C (10C higher than it needs to be for the highest temp ingredient) because these are all the items in the ethanol, I should be good you think?

ethyl acetate is a bittering agent

weedemon,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Well you will know for sure.. cuz taste is going to like :puke: if there is any left .. Classic puke-a-rama taste.. can't miss it if it is there :p.

Abysmal Vapor,

CHEI

Medical Cannabis Inspector
I heard its a good non polar solvent. I'm not sure what you are attempting to do. Why would you redissolve the bho?

excuse my previous post I really don't know much besides the usual bho extraction.

CHEI,

weedemon

enthusiast
i was re dissolving it because bho has waxes and fats in it that the ethanol can extract. i see a white cloud in my extraction that came out of the solution.

weedemon,

weedemon

enthusiast
so i filtered my solution and a sludge was left behind in my filter paper.

I recently bought my friend a nice electric frying pan, so we took it outside for a rip and evaporated the solution. we did it at 135 C just to be extra safe that we got rid of all the other additives. It took about 10 min for almost all the fluid to evaporate off. i went for an additional 20 min before i scraped it up to the centre stirred, and let it continue to stay hot for another 10 min with stirring. (we debated whether the stirring was adding bubbles or releasing them. probably just stirring it in.)

the end product was a dark yellow oil that is like silly putty. malleable, yet brittle if you are quick and rough with it.

we decided to do a little dab and see what it was like.

Very very smooth! the potency is really up there, but it was to begin with too when it was bho so i'm not surprised. the yield looks to be diminished somewhat, but I saw all the sludge that was pulled out, so I am not really that surprised.

taste wise there is not much to speak of, but the initial product didn't taste good. so overall thats an improvement in the taste department lol! (It was a bunch of different bud that had already been ran once for bho. It had all been ground up, and ran a 2nd time) this oil was a dark glob that would snap and break off in shards when you tried to take a dab. it tasted a little gross if I'm honest. nothing like all the first run batches that came from all the buds before. There is an after taste. It's very hard to describe... dry?

I think i would need to try this again with some first wash bho to really be able to tell if there is an after taste or not and if it's the additives or just the oil itself.

weedemon,

weedemon

enthusiast
SpinLover1 said:
Im exited to try hexane. Im going to do a double extraction hexane/ ethanol.

hexane is also up there on my to try list ;P need to source it yet though.

weedemon,
Im sourcing it in another country. Trying to get the same hexane they use to make soy bean oil and shea butter.

SpinLover1,
weedemon said:
SpinLover1 said:
Im exited to try hexane. Im going to do a double extraction hexane/ ethanol.

hexane is also up there on my to try list ;P need to source it yet though.

For the US. Thought paint stores was a source. Might be wrong though.

SpinLover1,

StickyShisha2

what is all the powdery stuff left in my pyrex dish when i evaporated 1 cup of everclear190 alone??

StickyShisha2,
StickyShisha said:
what is all the powdery stuff left in my pyrex dish when i evaporated 1 cup of everclear190 alone??

I must say the image is disturbing. Before using your brand of everclear, may I suggest you take this powder residue and add it to some brownies and try out these brownies on your mother in-law. If she is fine after eating the brownies then your good to go.

SpinLover1,

2clicker

Observer
StickyShisha said:

uh oh... im going to evap some Everclear tonight to see if i get the same result

im counting on Everclear to be my go to solvent

2clicker,

2clicker

Observer
StickyShisha said:

i tried this today, but did not have any white stuff. i did not evap a whole cup, but there was absolutely nothing left.

im going to do some small runs with EC and post results

2clicker,

StickyShisha2

there must have been something contaminating my pie dish for that first test. After some more testing, i'm am happy with everclear instead of iso.

i'm not thrilled with my filtering method. its too slow and a bit wasteful.

StickyShisha2,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
since I already have the 99% Iso, I plan to use that until it runs out, then my next purchase will be some EC to see how the results differ. When I get to that stage, I will post my results...sorry I don't have anything more to offer at this time, but I am following this thread and enjoying seeing other people's experiences.

jambandphan03,

StickyShisha2

yesterday i butane extracted a few grams of (not very dark) vape waste to make my regular dark oil.
i added it to about the same amount of reclaim oil from my dome rig.

into a small jar with some everclear. It took longer to dissolve than i expected.
into the freezer.
stuff definitely settled out and stayed behind in the filter.

into my evap dish, i added 2 drops of essential oil* and then the filtered everclear mixture.
after it was done evaporating outside, i went at it with a hairdrier for a bit.

the extract, when finished, tasted better from a Ti nail than my regular dark oil.
now it is loaded into an Omi cart.

*mostly lemon with a hint of tangerine

StickyShisha2,
Top Bottom