• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

ethanol alcohol extraction on BHO

weedemon

enthusiast
Hey everyone.

So I have a couple bottles of ethanol that is normally used by a pharmacist for Rx compounding.

I've been following the Absolute Amber post over at ICmag http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=168388

Now I don't have fresh plants to work with. Instead I used a bunch of buds that I had already run once. So I ran the 1st washed buds as bho again. and I got a dark shatter consistency It didn't taste the best, but it's not 1st wash bho. so that's to be expected. it still packs a hell of a hit though.

because its not first wash i decided its a great one to try my first experiment with ethanol with.

I have dissolved the bho into solution and am shaking it to get all the tiny chunks to completely dissolve. it's mostly gone now.

I can see "stuff" floating in suspension now. I assume these are the waxes and fats that BHO pulls out with the actives.

Gonna evap it later and will post back my result. :)

weedemon,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Good work WD ! I love watching the waxes subside.. It like dividing evil from good forces :D..

Abysmal Vapor,

weedemon

enthusiast
i just noticed this alcohol is denatured! :( I googled that and it means not fit for human consumption. I think i may have just wasted a half g of "crappier" oil I asked the pharmacist to get me a msds of the product so I can see exactly whats inside it.

Gonna see what's in it. but I think my experiment is stopped for now lol! I Need to know its safe or else I will not continue.

weedemon,

Bon Dog

ethonal, butain, iso and all that jazz is not for human consumption in the first place so imo its prob not a problem (not saying to ignore the msds)

Bon Dog,

weedemon

enthusiast
that's true man, but I thought i was buying something that i could technically drink.

Ifthis has things that are going to be left behind in my concentrate that pure Ethanol wouldn't have... then fuck that! I am out! haha the search for pure ethanol will continue.

I'm hanging out with him tonight so we will see. I will ask him what he used it for himself in the lab. :)

weedemon,

StickyShisha2

if all you need is small quantity, why not build a small still and distill ethanol from vodka or some such.

StickyShisha2,

2clicker

Observer
weedemon, i would not use that oil. denatured alcohol has extra shit put in it and that WILL be left in your final product.

i wouldnt even chance it.

2clicker,

Abysmal Vapor

Shit that sux weedemon.. The stuff i buy says it is good for inhalations in 1:10 water ratio .
Does the label says denaturated ? Was the liquid blue or colored by any chance ? Evaporate 100 ml and see if there is any residue.., I bet denaturated leaves lots of crap..

Abysmal Vapor,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
that's not always true. Sometimes it's denatured by just adding isopropyl. It's just to stop it being drank by drunkards. Depends on the intended application of the formulation.

WatTyler,

Abysmal Vapor

450px-Denaturat.jpg

Cheers :brow:

Abysmal Vapor,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
^^^ hahahaha I was just reading that wikipedia page too! na zdrowie!

It probably is worth remembering that there's a lot of denatured alcohol in mouthwash. That's obviously not of the highly toxic variety and isn't going to leave anything too bad behind.

In the United States, small amounts of denatured alcohol are used in many consumer products such as toothpaste, where they are labeled as "SD alcohol XX", where SD stands for "specially denatured" and XX is the formula used in the denaturing process that specifies the denaturants. These formulas for denatured alcohol are found in 27 CFR part 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations.[8] Some of these formulas, such as SD alcohol 38-B,[9] are designed to be unpalatable but otherwise non-poisonous; they are used in applications like mouthwashes where some amount of incidental ingestion is expected. (The specific denaturants in formulas 37 and 38-B closely resemble the active ingredients in alcohol-based mouthwashes like Listerine.[10])

WatTyler,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
ok, study time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

"Denaturing alcohol does not chemically alter the ethanol molecule. Rather, the ethanol is mixed with other chemicals to form an undrinkable solution.

Different additives are used to make it difficult to use distillation or other simple processes to reverse the denaturation. Methanol is commonly used both because its boiling point is close to that of ethanol and because it is toxic. In many countries, it is also required that denatured alcohol be dyed blue or purple with an aniline dye."

"Formulations: There are several grades of denatured alcohol, but in general the denaturants used are similar. As an example, the formulation for completely denatured alcohol, according to British regulations must be: Completely denatured alcohol must be made in accordance with the following formulation: with every 90 parts by volume of alcohol mix 9.5 parts by volume of wood naphtha or a substitute for wood naphtha and 0.5 parts by volume of crude pyridine, and to the resulting mixture add mineral naphtha (petroleum oil) in the proportion of 3.75 litres to every 1000 litres of the mixture and synthetic organic dyestuff (methyl violet) in the proportion of 1.5 grams to every 1000 litres of the mixture."

"Despite its poisonous nature, denatured alcohol is sometimes consumed as a surrogate alcohol, which can result in blindness or death if the denatured alcohol contains methanol. This happened during Prohibition, when the U.S. government used methanol in industrial alcohols manufactured in the United States. To help prevent this, denatonium is often added to give the substance an extremely bitter flavor. Substances such as pyridine help to give the mixture an unpleasant odor, and emetic (vomiting) agents such as syrup of ipecac may also be included. In Poland and other European countries, denatured alcohol contains only substances having bitter flavor (like acetylsalicylic acid) and odour, and does not contain methanol or any substance of severe toxicity."

t-dub,

Sour Deez

denatured alcohol is fine to make oil with, but making an absolute like you were trying wont work very well i believe.

Im also trying to figure out what to do with my already ran bud, its all first run, about 90g so far, i just cant throw it away lol

Sour Deez,

stroh

errl enthusiast
Sour Deez said:
denatured alcohol is fine to make oil with, but making an absolute like you were trying wont work very well i believe.

Im also trying to figure out what to do with my already ran bud, its all first run, about 90g so far, i just cant throw it away lol

i would run it again, and stick the second run in edibles, or if you don't mind the taste, you can vape it.

stroh,

StickyShisha2

StickyShisha said:
if all you need is small quantity, why not build a small still and distill ethanol from vodka or some such.

i mention this because i know someone who has used leftover wine to make moonshine in a counter-top water distiller
distiller_power_off_timer.jpg

StickyShisha2,

weedemon

enthusiast
I asked and there is indeed methanol in my alcohol but is is colourless still.

i'd say pitch it and try again :p

weedemon,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Hold on Weede buddy. If methanol is just another form of alcohol, it may be possible to just evaporate it and get rid of it, as long as it leaves no residue right? I'll start checking and see what I can learn.

Edit: Laws vary from country to country about the dye/coloring.

EDIT: Looks like the boiling point is 65 C, 338 K, 149 F however the substance is actually quite toxic, so, for safety sake, your initial impulse was best. From Wikipedia:

"Methanol has a high toxicity in humans. If ingested, for example, as little as 10 mL of pure methanol can cause permanent blindness by destruction of the optic nerve, and 30 mL is potentially fatal,[11] although the median lethal dose is typically 100 mL (4 fl oz) (i.e. 12 mL/kg of pure methanol[12]). Toxic effects take hours to start, and effective antidotes can often prevent permanent damage.[11] Because of its similarities to ethanol (the alcohol in beverages), it is difficult to differentiate between the two (such is the case with denatured alcohol).

Methanol is toxic by two mechanisms. First, methanol (whether it enters the body by ingestion, inhalation, or absorption through the skin) can be fatal due to its CNS depressant properties in the same manner as ethanol poisoning. Second, in a process of toxication, it is metabolized to formic acid (which is present as the formate ion) via formaldehyde in a process initiated by the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase in the liver."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol

t-dub,

stroh

errl enthusiast
anything with methanol is a no go, the possible blindness is enough to stear me away from using it for anything that i might be inhaling from later, including cleaning pieces.

stroh,

StickyShisha2

that vid looks dangerous. Wouldn't alcohol fumes combust in a freezer, when the compressor kicks in??

but i like the idea of using a distiller to remove the sugars from everclear190

StickyShisha2,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Um, I think the alcohol is only stored in the freezer in a sealed container. There would not be fumes in the freezer, I am not sure how you got that from the video.

jambandphan03,

StickyShisha2

i watched without sound, but it looked like after stirring, it sat for four minutes in an open-topped container in a freezer, before pouring through a strainer.

watch from 2:00 to 2:29

StickyShisha2,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
oh, yeah I didn't notice that, would the alcohol be evaporating at such low temps to create excess fumes?

jambandphan03,

stroh

errl enthusiast
nah, alcohol is much less flammable than butane, at cold temps the alcohol will remain a liquid, but butane will evaporate into combustible fumes super easily, but even then you would literally need a plate of liquid butane in your freezer for it to be any kind of danger.

stroh,
Top Bottom