Discontinued Epicvape EV-1/EV-2

collegerower

My quick first thoughts are wow, this thing packs a punch! I will put up proper first thoughts later, but I am very impressed right now.

collegerower,

weedemon

enthusiast
i didn't realize it was that big. thanks for sharing the pics and using a pd for comparison :)

so this is the big hitter of the "log" vape world then eh? is that an appropriate crown? would you consider it a log vape? it looks the part, but it definitely has some different technology in it.

i see from antoehr reviiew above that it's more of a whip/box style vape. so then my next q is what would you say this vapes competition is? dbv?

weedemon,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
Gvape, I'd like to see you load up a PD stem with a normal amount and transfer that PD stem load into the EV-1 and vape it out to see how well it does as compared to your PD using the same amount of herb. You might be in for a nice surprise:o

Lycanthrope,

collegerower

Lycanthrope said:
Gvape, I'd like to see you load up a PD stem with a normal amount and transfer that PD stem load into the EV-1 and vape it out to see how well it does as compared to your PD using the same amount of herb. You might be in for a nice surprise:o

I plan on doing exactly that as soon as I can.

collegerower,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
So far this vape sounds like it can more than do the job. Im very interested in the PD/MZ VS the EV-1 efficiency comparison. I really like the appearance of the EV-1 being wood. Another beautiful vape that doesn't look like a science experiment. :)

Lycanthrope,

gvape

Lycanthrope said:

Loaded a PD stem up and emptied it out. Weighed that at .03g and then filled it in the EV. A bit on the low end, but a fine pack, as it completely covers the screen, I prefer a little bit more in the bowl, but yes, if you want to load the same size bowl it is possible. I have been experimenting with bowls around .05-.1 for 2-3 people. It works great, goes around a few times.

I also tried the boost mode. Not a huge fan of it. You can notice two different shades of brown in the ABV, I will try and get a picture of that up. I just do not like the taste when it gets that hot. I turned it on boost mode before and after a bowl. Before a bowl is intense, you get massive huge rips that leave you coughing or gasping for air. I was not expecting it at all. After the second or third hit the flavor was gone and it tasted burnt, so I have to say I am not really a fan for the boost mode. Although I will continue to use it at times, I will use this 90% of the time on the normal setting. When Flipping it on at the end of bowl with no visible vapor on the regular setting, I do get a tiny bit more, but the flavor is just not worth it to me to get that extra bit out. Id rather just cook with it. That being said, my boost mode will mostly be for the quick heat up time.

The biggest problem I have had so far with this is the whip collecting everything that touches it. Its picking up EVERYTHING!!!

gvape,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
It sounds like a standard PD load at least covers the screen, and thats a good thing. Did you vape that 0.03g PD load in the your EV-1, and if so how did it compare to vapeing it in your PD?

Lycanthrope,

collegerower

gvape said:
. I turned it on boost mode before and after a bowl. Before a bowl is intense, you get massive huge rips that leave you coughing or gasping for air. I was not expecting it at all.

The biggest problem I have had so far with this is the whip collecting everything that touches it. Its picking up EVERYTHING!!!

I only had a quick session last night and I agree with these two statements 100%. I am used to my mz hits and was gasping after my first massive hit with this.

I will need a few more sessions with this unit before I can really do a proper review.

collegerower,

gvape

weedemon said:
i didn't realize it was that big. thanks for sharing the pics and using a pd for comparison :)

so this is the big hitter of the "log" vape world then eh? is that an appropriate crown? would you consider it a log vape? it looks the part, but it definitely has some different technology in it.

i see from antoehr reviiew above that it's more of a whip/box style vape. so then my next q is what would you say this vapes competition is? dbv?

So far i am not really feeling this as a log vape. It may have the same shape and material, but to me it just not feel like im hitting a log vape. Maybe if I had a direct draw system this would change my feelings toward it, but the heavy hits and whip make it feel different. For me its just a lot bigger and doesnt feel really that comfortable in your hand, you can still hold it and move it around, it just doesnt feel the same.

I like how easy it is to load a bowl (a bigger one) and hit it when needed, the material isnt going to go anywhere. But for a small hit, I still feel I would go to my PD over the EV. Plus its really hard not to use my PD today when I got some new stems for my PD from ED.

I can say since this is a GONG joint, that it makes this much more universal for direct connection to glass or a glass stem. In that case, if the ability to get these pieces is available then I can see myself using this much more then my PD. Until then my PD is still my favorite vape, but this isnt far behind seeing as the size of the hits I can get packing even a small bowl.

gvape,

gvape

Test # 2

1. Load PD Stem
2. Unload PD Stem (.03)
3. Load EV EL-BOWL
4. Inhale from whip with EV

Well, this is now my second time doing a load from a PD stem and I have to say Im pretty impressed. I have to say it can vape small amounts or large amounts pretty well, getting the job done. The first hit is great, full of flavor and milky. Second hit has a diminish in flavor, but still pretty milky. Third hit is barely any flavor, and not much vapor left. Fourth hit just pretty much cleaned up the last bit of vapor. Depending on who you are, you may want to bump it up to boost mode and get the last bit of juice out of it.

Now this is the part that I was a little sad to discover. I took the abv and put it back in a PD stem to do a test to see if any vapor was still left. Keep in mind I did break it up some more, so more surface area was exposed, but I still get another hit with a PD stem and that fairly visible vapor. Enough to say that it had another hit left. I am going to have to test this a few more times as I am not sure if I got more vapor from grinding it up more, or if I actually didnt get all of the vapor out with the EV.

All in all though, the PD size load gets the job done as I am significantly medicated. Still enjoying the EV though trying to figure out the perfect way to use it.

gvape,

stinkbud

collegerower said:
Shoot andy an email. I did, and he sent me mine overnight from west coast to east coast.
That is exactly what I did and Andy is sending me a new one. I have no product to review but I can review the owner, top notch. Just a public thanks to Andy for the help.

stinkbud,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
gvape said:
Test # 2

1. Load PD Stem
2. Unload PD Stem (.03)
3. Load EV EL-BOWL
4. Inhale from whip with EV

Well, this is now my second time doing a load from a PD stem and I have to say Im pretty impressed. I have to say it can vape small amounts or large amounts pretty well, getting the job done. The first hit is great, full of flavor and milky. Second hit has a diminish in flavor, but still pretty milky. Third hit is barely any flavor, and not much vapor left. Fourth hit just pretty much cleaned up the last bit of vapor. Depending on who you are, you may want to bump it up to boost mode and get the last bit of juice out of it.

Now this is the part that I was a little sad to discover. I took the abv and put it back in a PD stem to do a test to see if any vapor was still left. Keep in mind I did break it up some more, so more surface area was exposed, but I still get another hit with a PD stem and that fairly visible vapor. Enough to say that it had another hit left. I am going to have to test this a few more times as I am not sure if I got more vapor from grinding it up more, or if I actually didnt get all of the vapor out with the EV

All in all though, the PD size load gets the job done as I am significantly medicated. Still enjoying the EV though trying to figure out the perfect way to use it.

Try to use the EV again after breaking down the herb further. I would assume u would have the same results after exposing more surface area and using the same vape.

IAmKrazy2,

ACE OF VAPE

Vape outside the box
Manufacturer
gvape said:
I turned it on boost mode before and after a bowl. Before a bowl is intense, you get massive huge rips that leave you coughing or gasping for air. I was not expecting it at all.
The biggest problem I have had so far with this is the whip collecting everything that touches it. Its picking up EVERYTHING!!!.

GVAPE, that's the trade off for silicone tubing. It's softer and has a higher melting point than vinyl, but it does attract serious dust. The dust comes off easy enough with a little water. I may go back to vinyl for production units. Any thoughts?

Andy@epicvape

ACE OF VAPE,

Orestes

Magus Septimus
You should get a thousand feet of something like this: http://www.xoxide.com/primoflex-12id-34od-uvblue.html

Blacklight friendly...

Though one immediate thought-- Will there be an option for a carb hole somewhere? I don't like the idea of vapor stagnating in a tube, you know?

Also, just shot you an email to see if I could nose my way in to the second round of testing...

Orestes,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Orestes said:
You should get a thousand feet of something like this: http://www.xoxide.com/primoflex-12id-34od-uvblue.html

Blacklight friendly...

Though one immediate thought-- Will there be an option for a carb hole somewhere? I don't like the idea of vapor stagnating in a tube, you know?

Also, just shot you an email to see if I could nose my way in to the second round of testing...

I would assume you could just pull the bowl out of the EV and clear the vapor that way. Also, wouldn't be too difficult to poke a hole in a silicone tube if a carb hole is your preference.

Did i vote silicone yet for my favorite tubing?

IAmKrazy2,

Nosferatu

Yeah I cleared mine like a DBV or something. You in fact want to do that because otherwise I bet the wand will get stuck in there often. Mine already did once after only a few minutes. No fun dealing with that mid sesh. Or the Elbow screen can get pulled off by the joint. Not a fault of the vape, it happens with all gong joints getting heated up alot. So all I'm saying is its probably best to pull it out and clear it every hit. :peace:

Nosferatu,
Good to see these positive initial impressions, this vape looks just beautiful and I feel bad for not having the scratch to participate in the beta program.

On the tubing issue, I also greatly prefer silicone. I forgot how much I loved it until I started using my glass hookahs again! The tubing doesn't kink at all, it's super light and flexible, and I don't have much problems with crap sticking to it. Are you guys smoking in the middle of a sandstorm? It's never really been an issue for me. Anyone with a good inexpensive source of safe silicone tubing, please post it,

charliedontsurf,

Ennui Cookout

I've not had a real problem with the silicon tubing, it's always been that weird gummy feel when I've used it.

Actually, the more I use this vape really there's only two complaints I have with it and they're really minor. Firstly, the el-bowl joint actually sometimes gets a bit too snug in the unit without trying and it's a bit more difficult to pull the piece out. Since this is glass, that can be an accident waiting to happen. That shouldn't be difficult to tweak, it doesn't ever need to fit snug to function.

Secondly -- and hopefully this is just a beta test issue, but the unit uses some really cheap lamp cable and it's covered in tags and such. Reaaally hoping the final unit will use something nice like that knit sleeve jacketed cabling like the Old City Diffuser does. Given how much you'll have the cable brushing about when you're handling the vape, I actually thought that was a really nice touch with the OCD. Again this is a really minor criticism.

I've sent an email with other minor thoughts, but overall I'm really happy with the EV-1. I'm not using any other vape I've got at the moment. It's simple to load, simple to clean, big hits right away and it's not too wasteful for me. Right now I think I'm going to stick with the EV-1.

It'd be tougher for me to call if the OCD wasn't a messy vape, as both are rather close to one another in hits. The stems on the OCD are rather obnoxious to keep unclogged compared to all of my other gear and plant material likes to fall out of the bowl even if I try to 'glue' it. Everything else I own has stuff keeping material in place and I think the el-bowl approach here is particularly rad. Aesthetically and ergonomically, I prefer my Old City Diffuser hands down. It's simply a more comfortable piece of wood to hold with no firm edges or beveling, I grip it pretty much like a ball when I take hits... it just feels nice.

However, the EV-1 heats up in five~ten minutes -- you can quickly load the el-bowl and get a pretty massive hit without much fuss or mess. You don't even have to dial in a temperature and it has an extra setting that can do rather well the bubble hash I tried, though some folks might find just two choices restrictive. It reminds me of a rather refined, fun little box vape disguised as a log, which certainly makes it more portable.

I'd probably want to spend more time with it before I really said more. I've noticed others are posting quite a bit and I can say nothing has really differed for me other than my indifference to the silicon tubing.

Ennui Cookout,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Andy has been very busy with work on the EV1 and I offered to make a viable effort to check this thread often, and answer any questions I am able to. Hopefully, this will allow Andy to concentrate more on the nuts and bolts. If there is something I can't answer Andy will chime in when he has time.

I wil be doing an extensive review of the efficency of the EV1 vs other whip vapes and all the log vapes. My personal opinion on efficency has changed since I first reviewed the VXC. Most important factor currently? How easily one can completly vaporize the entire load all the way through. I will surly experiment with bowl sizes big and small. Size of hits vary so greatly, IMO this is the best way to judge a vaporizers true efficency.

IAmKrazy2,

stinkbud

Hooray, my unit just arrived. I am at work so no experimentation for now, but tonight....I am excited :)

stinkbud,

Nosferatu

ACE OF VAPE said:
gvape said:
I turned it on boost mode before and after a bowl. Before a bowl is intense, you get massive huge rips that leave you coughing or gasping for air. I was not expecting it at all.
The biggest problem I have had so far with this is the whip collecting everything that touches it. Its picking up EVERYTHING!!!.

GVAPE, that's the trade off for silicone tubing. It's softer and has a higher melting point than vinyl, but it does attract serious dust. The dust comes off easy enough with a little water. I may go back to vinyl for production units. Any thoughts?

Andy@epicvape

Definately don't use silicone tubing. I'm blanking on the name but I would use what 7th Floor is using for the DBV and SSV, maybe it is just vinyl..

Nosferatu,

stinkbud

I am a vapin noob....what do i do? Suck some gound green into the whip below the screen and then put the whip into the element? The instructions say to keep the screen on the heating element clean so I am not 100% sure how to do that.

stinkbud,

Ennui Cookout

@stinkbud: Pull the little thimble shaped screen out of the glass joint where it'd plug into the unit, suck in some ground herb, put the screen back in. Pop it in the unit and pull a hit.

It took me a moment to think about that, too. Someone else here also mentioned loading the bowl-shaped screen too, which it deceptively looks like is the correct way if you're more used to stems.

Ennui Cookout,

gvape

Right before I was going to start using my glass I broke my 14mm whip connector piece. Such a fail on my part. I was holding the tube in my hand and it fell out and the glass part hit the table and shattered. So I had to be ghetto and just stick the tube in, but I can say I got some GREAT HITS! Especially since I got my new water pipe today, this thing just performed like a beast with it. My PD in no way can compete with the size and quality of the hits I was getting. I do the same thing with my SSV, but I think this works A LOT better. I brought this by one of my friends places who choses to combust anytime over vaping. Long story short there was no combusting as we packed HUGE bowls and just went to town with it. I packed bowls from half way full to fully full and no matter what it just kept hitting. I think we got 10+ hits each out of one of the bowls, and they were all MILKY! I will try and get some MILK shots up later. Hopefully can get some glass connection pieces made soon so I can stop using a whip.

After this smoke session is time for a good cleaning of the EL-BOWL. The thing is just covered with honey and the tube is starting to turn pretty yellow. I really would love to get a short male to male to make less travel.

gvape,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Great first impressions. The nice thing about vape like this for someone who usually smokes is that there I no guessing. There is only two settings, and you just puff away. I have noticed this with the PD and MZ. Sometimes people get confused while guessing who to determine an ideal temp setting on a variable temp vape with a wide range.

IAmKrazy2,
Top Bottom