End stage lymphoma

killick

But I like it!
My buddy was diagnosed with lymphoma last fall, and was given an all clear at Christmas. Jan 4 he spikes a fever, and the hospital days his lymphoma is back and worse. Yesterday he walks in the door from an appointment and days the next scan will tell him how many weeks he has left. His doctors have switched him to palliative care, moving to hospice. He's 53, we went through basic training and the first 5 years of our military career together. He introduced me to my wife, and was best man at our wedding. I don't want to say goodbye.

This morning I got him to take a glob of oil, followed by a vape of rosin.

I have no cancer experience. I'm a chronic pain guy. Any suggestions, things to try, things to avoid, anything at all, would be most appreciated. He's not touched mm for 25 years.

It made me cry when he phoned his parents to tell them he is dying.

GOOREGON

wow...i am so sorry @killick
cancer is an awful thing..
if you want him to live past the date he will be given please ask him to...
stop eating all animal products
no pharma(pills,what have you)
start exercising immediately
eat only whole plant based foods.
pm me for more info...i have a huge list of foods that are great are killing the beast known as cancer..
sending healing prayers his way.

lwien

My buddy was diagnosed with lymphoma last fall, and was given an all clear at Christmas. Jan 4 he spikes a fever, and the hospital days his lymphoma is back and worse. Yesterday he walks in the door from an appointment and days the next scan will tell him how many weeks he has left. His doctors have switched him to palliative care, moving to hospice. He's 53, we went through basic training and the first 5 years of our military career together. He introduced me to my wife, and was best man at our wedding. I don't want to say goodbye.

I have no cancer experience. I'm a chronic pain guy. Any suggestions, things to try, things to avoid, anything at all, would be most appreciated. He's not touched mm for 25 years.

First of......@killick, I am so sorry to hear about what you and your friend are going though. My thoughts and prayers to both of you. I wish I could give some advice here but being that I have never experienced what you or your friend are going through, it would be hard for me to do so but in regards to cannabis, my suggestion would be tread lightly. While it can have a dramatic affect in pain management, it can also increase ones natural anxiety and fear in regards to dying. That's a real double edged sword, so take it slow.

if you want him to live past the date he will be given please ask him to...
Why should he ask him to do that? For many terminally ill patients, living longer is not always the best option.

stop eating all animal products
no pharma(pills,what have you)
start exercising immediately
eat only whole plant based foods.
pm me for more info...i have a huge list of foods that are great are killing the beast known as cancer..
sending healing prayers his way.

If the docs have moved him to palliative care, he is in stage 4, so asking him to do what you are suggesting above, to me, is totally inappropriate. My thrust would be to make him as comfortable as possible while getting him to accept that which is as natural as being born.

From someone who has more years behind him than in front of him, I may have a different perspective on this, so take what I said above for what it's worth.

Last edited:

GOOREGON

First of......@killick, I am so sorry to hear about what you and your friend are going though. My thoughts and prayers to both of you. I wish I could give some advice here but being that I have never experienced what you or your friend are going through, it would be hard for me to do so but in regards to cannabis, my suggestion would be tread lightly. While it can have a dramatic affect in pain management, it can also increase ones natural anxiety and fear in regards to dying. That's a real double edged sword, so take it slow.

Why should he ask him to do that? For many terminally ill patients, living longer is not always the best option.

If the docs have moved him to palliative care, he is in stage 4, so asking him to do what you are suggesting above, to me, is totally inappropriate. My thrust would be to make him as comfortable as possible while getting him to accept that which is as natural as being born.

From someone who has more years behind him than in front of him, I may have a different perspective on this, so take what I said above for what it's worth.
he should ask him to do that because it sounds like he doesnt want to lose his best friend.although maybe not im not trying to speak for him. explain why its inappropriate ? you do know the healthcare industry isnt trying to save people...only to keep them inbetween being strong and healthy and dying..thats the only place they make shittons of money. ive read numerous stories of people who had cancer,diabetes,other conditions/diseases...they adopted a plant based diet ,exercised and they overcame it. i am simply offering advice for someone who imo sounds like they dont want to lose their best friend of many years. we all have different views though and i respect yours..

GOOREGON,

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker

I am sorry to hear this! He sounds like a good friend. My thoughts and prayers are with you guys!

DDave,
Reactions: Derrrpp

lwien

he should ask him to do that because it sounds like he doesnt want to lose his best friend.

Not wanting to lose his best friend may not have anything to do with what is best for his best friend.

lwien,

GOOREGON

Not wanting to lose his best friend may not have anything to do with what is best for his best friend.
maybe i should have reiterated but thats pretty much what i meant when i said im not trying to speak for him. i was going to say it could be viewed as @killick being selfish if he did indeed so what to keep his friend alive. like i said im not trying to speak for anyone! :peace:

GOOREGON,
Reactions: lwien

killick

But I like it!
Thanks guys. He doesn't really eat now. Of course i want a silver bullet, but I'll be happy if his last days are happier. We aren't going to drop all pharma and out him on a new regimen at this stage. It's all about comfort and quality of life. But if things go into remission I'll be happiest. I'll settle for happier last days.

Derrrpp

For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
So sorry to hear about your friend, @killick. It's hard watching someone go through the final stages of cancer. Make the best out of what time is left. My thoughts are with you guys.

Derrrpp,
Reactions: killick

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
Feeling helpless to assist someone dear to you is like a death by a thousand cuts...I understand.

Speaking from personal experience, age 53 is much too young to be asked to "leave the party".

And if the doctor has used the word "hospice" to direct your friend's remaining care then that generally translates to a medical prognosis of 6 months or less for the patient's survival.

So what to do, what to do?

Your friend will definitely feel better prepared for the ending of life, and so will you in your grieving processes, if you help him recall the many good times the two of you shared over the years.

Most importantly, he will want to FEEL during this recollection process, how much he's meant to you, @killick . Don't mistake the closeness of your relationship with the assumption that he already knows how much he's meant to you. He needs to hear it...repeatedly!

So let him know how much he has MATTERED in this life. Recount his achievements, from the seemingly small and insignificant, to those more "monumental in scope" -- he needs to know that... ....HE MATTERED!

I truly believe you can give no greater gift than that to someone diagnosed with a terminal illness, particularly one of such a young age! That I am sure of!

Finally, from this terminal cancer patient to your friend, please tell him I understand.

My sincerest condolences to you and yours.

Last edited:
Top Bottom