• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Elevape SV

natural farmer

I was gonna go for it, but I decided to hold on for a second version... Having to clean the sensor so it works ok and the lack of a working Mac software are enough for me to hold back... Firefly is doing a great job anyway and I don't know if I like fast charging/fast discharging with the FF more or the opposite with the EV... I hated long charging times with the Inhalater and wasn't practical when out on a trip.

natural farmer,
Reactions: tripwire

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Mrbinky,

I guess a sensor that easily gets dirty would be this thing's Achilles heel.

This new technology sounds promissing provided there should be no deposits in the heater cavity to begin with... At least i can tell my screen remains clean on top of a VG pipe, why not here???

Rather than just measuring the absolute brightness, they can measure a ratio of brightness between sensors sensitive to two different frequencies. As the coil heats up, the black body radiation distribution will shift towards higher frequencies. This will allow it to more reliably measure temperature even if the sensor gets partially obscured.

Creativity & imagination, i like that!!

:peace:

marduk

daydreamer
This new technology sounds promissing provided there should be no deposits in the heater cavity to begin with... At least i can tell my screen remains clean on top of a VG pipe, why not here???

Probably because the heater is located above the herb chamber and because you can't completely clear the chamber. With the VG, once your torch is off, you continue to draw for a couple of seconds to get the last bit of vapor produced.

With the Elevape, the breath sensor is the on/off switch. You have to stop inhaling to turn off the heater, and there's still some vapor in the chamber. You can't draw it out without turning the unit back on. Not only that, but the heater takes 2 or 3 seconds to cool down after you stop inhaling. So the remaining vapor rises into the area around the heater, condenses, and forms deposits that eventually obscure the glow sensor.

I think you might be able to minimize this by using the Elevape upside down so vapor doesn't rise into the heater area. The downside to this is you won't be able to see the power indicator LED, and if your grind is fine, some bits could drop through the screen onto the heater and affect the taste of your hits.

Mrbinky

Probably because the heater is located above the herb chamber and because you can't completely clear the chamber. With the VG, once your torch is off, you continue to draw for a couple of seconds to get the last bit of vapor produced.

With the Elevape, the breath sensor is the on/off switch. You have to stop inhaling to turn off the heater, and there's still some vapor in the chamber. You can't draw it out without turning the unit back on. Not only that, but the heater takes 2 or 3 seconds to cool down after you stop inhaling. So the remaining vapor rises into the area around the heater, condenses, and forms deposits that eventually obscure the glow sensor.

I think you might be able to minimize this by using the Elevape upside down so vapor doesn't rise into the heater area. The downside to this is you won't be able to see the power indicator LED, and if your grind is fine, some bits could drop through the screen onto the heater and affect the taste of your hits.

Yes, if there is any vapor left in the chamber, it will condense once it cools down. And, anyway, the sensor should be much cooler than the heating coil and etc. If they made a little sensor window with its own heating coil, made from quartz or sapphire for heat resistance, and had a "post heating" period for it, that might keep it cleaner. Still, not sure it would work. Might even need to attach a transducer to give it a little shake and get rid of any clinging abv dust? Maybe a coating, like on my glasses, to repel resin?

All things considered, it's a clever design, and I'm sure it's possible to make it work well, but I'd wait for version 2.

chillersnov8p

Marduk did you get your elevape back yet? Still haven't heard from vapor nation if they've gotten the next batch in. Haven't cancelled my order yet. Still feel like this is the vape for me even if I have to send it in a few times for warranty work.

chillersnov8p,

marduk

daydreamer
They received it on Monday, so I don't expect it back until next week. If I'm lucky and they're fast, maybe by this weekend...

marduk,

Mrbinky

Marduk did you get your elevape back yet? Still haven't heard from vapor nation if they've gotten the next batch in. Haven't cancelled my order yet. Still feel like this is the vape for me even if I have to send it in a few times for warranty work.
When did you order yours?

I ordered one last Thursday night, and they informed me on Monday that they had units in stock and already had mine packed, labeled and ready to ship that Monday afternoon.

Mrbinky,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Marduk,
Salutations Mrbinky,

...the breath sensor...

...quartz or sapphire...

Considering that such nuisible condensation is said to result from interaction with the breath sensor i'd suggest the solution might be to adapt the program to allow for some "purge" cycle...

Since materials are on topic anyone knows what the sensor lense is made of?

Egzoset,
Reactions: Mrbinky

chillersnov8p

Ordered mine last Tuesday. So maybe it's close to shipping. Did you receive a tracking number Mrbinky?

chillersnov8p,

Mrbinky

Yes, Monday morning.
Ordered mine last Tuesday. So maybe it's close to shipping. Did you receive a tracking number Mrbinky?

Strange, I ordered mine after you and received a tracking number before you. And they assured me on the phone that the Elevape definitely wasn't backordered, either.

Mrbinky,

chillersnov8p

Received it this afternoon. Downloaded the app and charging it now for 5hr first initial charge. App is basic but pretty cool. You can see the battery percent and charging levels for the three settings. Factory settings were 4, 7, and 10. Not sure how long the charges are after this. It's a nice looking vape. Came with all the accessories.

chillersnov8p

Green light on the vape indicated full charge but the app said 70 percent. Unit had no power when I received it but upon plugging it in to the computer showed 55 percent?..anyways appears like I got a functioning unit. No combustion on either 1,2 or 3 heat setting. Will update after I get a few days on it. Stoked!

Kaptan

Green light on the vape indicated full charge but the app said 70 percent. Unit had no power when I received it but upon plugging it in to the computer showed 55 percent?..anyways appears like I got a functioning unit. No combustion on either 1,2 or 3 heat setting. Will update after I get a few days on it. Stoked!
How was the vapor? Do you have any other vapes to compare with? Did you receive a plastic or aluminum mouthpiece? Can you go to town when inhaling? Or does the heater get overwhelmed easily?

Last edited:

chillersnov8p

I'm probably not the best one to judge taste I've only owned a mflb with PA adapter. Also using some b-grade for the first sesh. I was busy all day and only briefly hit it this morning before heading out. I was going to town while inhaling. Can't tell yet on mouth piece, didn't look like machined aluminum. It feels like a covert military grade vape. The pull and go aspect of the draws is welcomed after all that went into a mflb sesh. I'll have a more formed opinion after a few more days.

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations hillersnov8p,

A light inhale does not turn the heater element on.

Sometimes the most appropriate solution happens to be simple, how could this sensible sample of information not be mentioned before?! So, no need for a purge cycle when all it may need would be some user-adjustable sensor i guess!

Egzoset,

Mrbinky

Salutations hillersnov8p,

Sometimes the most appropriate solution happens to be simple, how could this sensible sample of information not be mentioned before?! So, no need for a purge cycle when all it may need would be some user-adjustable sensor i guess!

Yes, same thing we used to do with our FireFly (although we hardly use it anymore after getting a solo.) In fact, with the solo, I still puff after shutting it off with some have used flower inside, to cool it down so it doesn't continue to cook.

However, the appeal of the Elevape (at least for me) would have been the fully automatic, idiot proof operation. Especially at that price level.

Besides, having to control my breath to make sure I clear out any vapor without activating the heat would actually be more trouble than a button to say "start and/or stop heating."

Furthermore, I'm not actually sure it would prevent the sensor getting dirty and the heat becoming inaccurate.

I'm happy with my solo for now. Especially since I can pre-load a selection of stems with different blends, and cap them, almost like a capsule system. It makes it easier for my wife and I to share. The Elevape doesn't have a capsule system, and it looks like it would be harder to keep clean than my solo.

So, I'm going to wait until the heating, cleaning and other issues are sorted out, or some other compelling reason to buy it surfaces.

By then, perhaps the Grasshopper will finally ship, and I might not care anymore...

mephisto

Not sure where all the claims of dirty sensors came from. The Elevape needs a wipe every once and awhile. Take a draw at the end of the session to clear the residual vapor. It seems as though there are many a hair being split over a vape that instantly heats, needs no on/off, is made in America, has adjustable software, a lifetime warranty, and does not burn the herb. If one needs to clean around the element, it is quite easy to do. I appreciate the contrasting views, but unless one owns and uses this vape, this thread reeks of speculation. This vape does not cut your grass for you, but it does effectively do every thing that it is supposed to do as a vaporizer.

Mrbinky

Not sure where all the claims of dirty sensors came from. The Elevape needs a wipe every once and awhile. Take a draw at the end of the session to clear the residual vapor. It seems as though there are many a hair being split over a vape that instantly heats, needs no on/off, is made in America, has adjustable software, a lifetime warranty, and does not burn the herb. If one needs to clean around the element, it is quite easy to do. I appreciate the contrasting views, but unless one owns and uses this vape, this thread reeks of speculation. This vape does not cut your grass for you, but it does effectively do every thing that it is supposed to do as a vaporizer.
Fair enough.

I'd still want an easier way to swap herb blends. Some kind of capsules system or retrofit using stems or screens or what have you.

That was also one of my gripes about the firefly. This sounds like a firefly with better temperature control, no heat up period, and no need to hold the button down. All good qualities. If I hadn't already purchased a firefly, I'd probably chose it over the firefly.

Mrbinky,
Reactions: mephisto

chillersnov8p

upon reading the directions....this unit powers off at 8 sec so just a continued draw will automatically clear the vapor. It seems like if you increase your breath it will kick the power back on for a longer draw.

chillersnov8p,
Reactions: poonman
Top Bottom