Electronic circuit question (1VDC voltage regulation)

DaProfessor

I thought I'd ask here, since some members have EE knowledge :D

I need a way to regulate 12VDC down to 1VDC. I also need high current capacity 50A+. Any simple way to do this? I don't need to start with 12VDC, its just convenient for me. The load is inductive, if that matters. If you have any suggestions on a simple implementation to achieve regulated voltage at high currents LMK. I have basic electronics knowledge, but my projects are usually just expansions of what I find in the datasheets of all-in-one sort of components.

DaProfessor,

Egzoset

Banned
Just a very basic suggestion.

Anybody who can make circuit connections should be able to group 64 AAA 1.25 Volts 800 mAh rechargeable cells in parallel, which might be close enough to allow the evaluation of your 1 Volts idea... Once you're done with it you'll have plenty of rechargeable batteries to give away to all of your environmentally green friends, and even those you don't like so much!

:brow:

Egzoset,

DaProfessor

Alright, finally got around to doing some research on this problem. I was thinking I had to get all complex and maybe setup + and - sources to get a difference of one volt or something. Decided to go back to basics and just look at the power electronics chapter in the bible for electronic hobbyists, "The Art of Electronics". Of course I found a possible solution. Just add an external pass transistor to an existing linear voltage regulator IC. Supposed allows a path for excess current to travel through. My questions now, can I use a single power transistor to pass a 50A load and can I substitute a transistor with a power MOSFET? More research needs to be done.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm trying to increase the capacity of my electroforming setup. I wouldn't mind giving BigPizzle a run for his money as the premiere electroformer. Lol, or at least give local blowers a chance to get some electrforming done. Don't know if I'll ever be able to do full size tubes like him, but would like to do smaller pieces.

DaProfessor,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
The Fairchild FDB8832 MOSFET i use in my Bud Toaster circuit can handle 80 Amps.

i don't know anything about electroforming other than a quick read in Wikipedia, but why such a low voltage?

Hippie Dickie,

DaProfessor

I haven't taken the time to understand the chem and phys behind it, but lower voltages give better deposition in electroforming solutions. Higher voltages tend to result in nodule growth that doesn't adhere well to the surface, and a less bright deposit. It's aesthetically great, but needs to be electroformed after formation at a lower voltage to sort of 'seal' it onto the surface. At least that's my theory, need to test on a larger scale once I get this PS built. I really would prefer a supply that can go from 0.8vdc to 1.5+vdc

My problem right now is trying to find an adjustable regulator that goes as low as I need and comes in an easy to use package. Gonna start searching digikey after I post this :D Considering how cheaply the components are using common regulator ICs and power transistors, I might just do something quick and easy first to play around with while I design a more capable supply.

DaProfessor,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
so you're saying the first coat is on low, then crank it up to create the textured "crust" that appears in this picture? And, they used some thin wire and painted the areas to be coated...did they scratch the lines into the paint before plating?

7586d1292773723-electroforming-big-pizzle-rasta2-side.jpg

so cool, pls post pics of anything you've done

VWFringe,

DaProfessor

That looks like a continuous 'smooth' deposition. The type of granulation I'm talking about looks like the surface of rotary carbide burs usually used for wood. The copper wrap could be done in different ways. I can think of two, twisted copper wire or twisted wax wire that was eventually painted. It was probably applied after the initial deposition and then more metal was deposited to make it part of the piece. The build-up along the edge is a result of the electroforming process. Simple, constant current electroforming setups will create areas of increased current density along the edges of a conductive surface resulting in more metal deposition. Most approach electroforming as an art more than a science, so there are many ways to reach the same goal.

My experience with electroforming is mostly with applying it to an already metallic surface, I've only done a few test on a non-metallic substrate using a copper paint to create the conductive surface. Nothing worth showing. Maybe in a month or two I can do some progress reports.

DaProfessor,
Top Bottom