electronic cigarettes or ecigarettes

moreandrew

So I've been smoking since I was 17 and I'd love to stop but I can't quit for very long. It's like as soon as shit hits the fan I've got to go out and get a cigarette.
That being said, I quit for a while but it was really just a substitution/replacement because I started smoking hookah rather than cigarettes. We can argue back and forth all day about which is more dangerous, so I'm not going to really get into that. Suffice it to say that I believe that the lower temperatures which don't really prompt true combustion and the properties of the shisha itself (mostly flavor and glycerine) aren't as harmful to inhale as cigarette smoke, despite the larger volume of smoke.

ANYWAY back to the topic I was thinking of making my new replacement electronic cigarettes because they're cheaper than cigarettes, they seem pretty cool looking, and looking at the process it seems like it would be a lot healthier. All pros, right?
Well the trick is not that I'm like super obsessed with how people perceive me, but it is a factor. It seems like the few people that I've asked about what they thought, they were like "uh that's weird I saw an old guy smoking one in the mall I was like wtf??" I'm kind of afraid that if I switch I'll be lumped into a category of weirdos people see in the mall.
Which brings me to my question. When you guys see people smoking these things, what is your reaction? Are these things socially acceptable these days or are they more like when people that aren't mallcops ride segways? :rolleyes:

moreandrew,

freeman dyson

I am curious about these too. The FDA is trying to come down on them. Are they safe? I was thinking about getting my mother a startup kit for christmas. Anyone with any experience?

freeman dyson,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I've never seen one in public. Ae they really popular? I could just be a little too spaced to notice.....

macbill,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Depends on where you live, some places they're more popular than others.

I am happy to not be smoking and could give a F what other's think BUT I haven't gotten ANY negative reactions. Mostly curious lookey-loos. Others think I'm smoking something illegal ;)

Off cigs for over 130 days now and I KNOW I'm done! Also weaned WAY down on nicotine so I'm hopeful to be off of that soon. It is the easiest way I've found to get off my 25 ++ years of smoking and I feel great. Have converted my sister and several friends too.

I honestly can't imagine anyone looking down on e-cigs over actual smoking. These days smoking is SO much less accepted. Health benefits also SHOULD outweigh worrying what others think but that's just my :2c: Good luck!

Here's a thread on the subject:

http://fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=1634

Lo,

freeman dyson

thanks for the info, lo. how does the cost of an e cigarette habit compare to a regular cigarette habit?

freeman dyson,

Lo

Well if you can NOT buy every damn model to try LOL It might be saving $$!!

I like the big battery mods. I did some guesstimating on my expenses.

Store bought juice costs .60 a day. Now I'm diluting my own so it costs me about .15 a day.

If I figure the cost of atomizers, batteries and the device spread over the course of a year (guesstimate with extra stuff just in case) I calculated it to be about $ 2.20 a day (including a backup device for emergency).

I WAS buying a pack of smokes a day at least which is about $5 so I think I'm saving a TON!! Not even sure with the new taxes...smokes may be higher!

It really depends on your usage too. I re-fill my own cartridges, dilute my own juice, etc. It could cost you a little more if you don't do some DIY stuff or use the pre-filled cartridges as disposable.

I WOULD be saving a fortune but I kept trying all these different devices. This week I got my new Xhaler which can be used at multiple voltages and it is SWEET!!!! I 'THINK' I'm done buying mods now :D

Lo,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
I managed to stop smoking (I was on about 2 packs a day, sometimes 3) at Christmas by using the strongest patch AND the strongest Nicotine gum. I found the combination (it is safe for heavy smokers) worked really well. The patch was on 24/7 and the gum was used throughout the day whenever i had an actual urge to smoke. It did really stop a craving in it's tracks.

I will be honest and say i found it easy using this combination. That is my honest experience, if i realised it was that easy to stop smoking using the patch and gum combo i would have done it years ago.

:2c:

If you dont smoke as much as i did, you can go lower strengths on patch and gums to start with.

Ive used patches before to no sucess.

Using the gum as well makes all the difference imo.

Happycamper,

Lo

Hey Happy! Congrats on quitting! I tried the patch and the gum but never together!! Damn, that is a good idea.

I think I've lowered the nicotine as much as I can now without going to zero so I feel like I've ALMOST kicked the nic! Using less than 1/4 of the nic now as when I started the e-cigs. Somehow I felt like if I could get to zero nic it would be like having my cake and eating it too. I could use the e-cig because I wanted to not because I needed to :) Seems silly now, I hope to get to zero and then choose to put the darn thing down... We shall see!!

Lo,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I gave up smoking, but I had to give up drinking first. A drink and a cig: yeah, baby!

macbill,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
lo said:
Hey Happy! Congrats on quitting! I tried the patch and the gum but never together!! Damn, that is a good idea.

I think I've lowered the nicotine as much as I can now without going to zero so I feel like I've ALMOST kicked the nic! Using less than 1/4 of the nic now as when I started the e-cigs. Somehow I felt like if I could get to zero nic it would be like having my cake and eating it too. I could use the e-cig because I wanted to not because I needed to :) Seems silly now, I hope to get to zero and then choose to put the darn thing down... We shall see!!
Hi Lo!

Well done on coming so far. You sound like it's changed your life, I'm sure it has because it did mine. :)
I didnt say before, but if i had known about the E-cigs back then, i would have tried them. I also think they could have worked for me. It was a similar thing to patches and gum in the sense that you gradually lower the dose down whilst controlling cravings at the same time. My point is patches on their own (i think a lot of people have tried) just dont work imo.

Happycamper,

moreandrew

macbill said:
I gave up smoking, but I had to give up drinking first. A drink and a cig: yeah, baby!
yeah that's how I relapsed lol I'm single again so finally going out to bars but just can't do it without a cigarette. tried, but I always left early to smoke hookah lol. I wonder how many cigarette relapses happen when people are drinking. bet it's like half.

moreandrew,

OC513

Dabaholic
lo said:
Well if you can NOT buy every damn model to try LOL It might be saving $$!!

I like the big battery mods. I did some guesstimating on my expenses.

Store bought juice costs .60 a day. Now I'm diluting my own so it costs me about .15 a day.

If I figure the cost of atomizers, batteries and the device spread over the course of a year (guesstimate with extra stuff just in case) I calculated it to be about $ 2.20 a day (including a backup device for emergency).

I WAS buying a pack of smokes a day at least which is about $5 so I think I'm saving a TON!! Not even sure with the new taxes...smokes may be higher!

It really depends on your usage too. I re-fill my own cartridges, dilute my own juice, etc. It could cost you a little more if you don't do some DIY stuff or use the pre-filled cartridges as disposable.

I WOULD be saving a fortune but I kept trying all these different devices. This week I got my new Xhaler which can be used at multiple voltages and it is SWEET!!!! I 'THINK' I'm done buying mods now :D
An Xhaler by chance??? And do you use the same avatar on another board? lol
I have been usuing e cigs since July and after 25 years of Marlboro Reds I have not had a single regular cig since the day my e cig arrived in the mail. They are amazing. So I went from a pack a day and about 1.5 grams odf bud being smoked to nothing but pure vapor.....out of my e-cig or home vaporizer. My lungs feel amazing.

OC513,

Lo

OC, LMAO!! Yes I have an Xhaler, 2 Screwdrivers and a Little Chuck too currently! LOVE being off cigs and why I switched to vapor. I too smoked 25 + years. Now I feel wonderful as well... Evolved actually!! I'm somewhere between 3 & 4 months off of smoke - LOVE IT!!

Avatar is my dog when he was younger and I use in a couple places LOL!! Sorry you don't win a prize for your deductive skills tho LMAO :cool: :D

Lo,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
This may be kinda OT but...

I made the transition to Swedish snus to kick the ciggies.
Now I know what you may be thinking... "Ive seen that Camel Snus in the store before, but it was too sweet" or "That chewing tobacco is some nasty shit"

Well contraire' mon fraire'!

In a nutshell here is REAL Swedish snus - YES it IS tobacco, however, it is (obviously) not an AMERICAN product. (Im not going to go off on a tangent about my own country - I just vaped :p)
Swedish snus is regulated by the Swedish FDA (and if im not mistaken) is considered a food product. ONLY 4 ingredients go into the production of SS. Tobacco, Water, Salt, and (food grade approved) flavorings. The tobacco is steam cured (as opposed to fire cured tobaccos in ciggies and dip/chaw/chewing tobacco) Steam curing removes up to 98% of the nitrosimides(sp) (AKA - the cancer causing agents) It is smokeless, spitless (yes you can swallow the juices - not unpleasurable) and most of all, you can do it just about anywhere (and most of the time, nobody knows) Not to mention, SS comes in like 120some different flavors/varieties - unlike smokes which come in one flavor BUTT.

It fills my nicotine addiction very nicely, and I have totally kicked the smokes without giving up my nic habit.
Sorry to (pseudo) hijack your thread, but Swedish snus has all but been a blessing to me and if I can help reform a fellow smoker with something less harmful, but just as fulfilling, Im all about it!
Happy Vaping!

AGBeer,

Lo

contraire' mon fraire'
I use this quote ALL THE TIME!! Cracks my sister up!!

I have read a LOT of good things about the Swedish snus on the e-cig forum it is VERY highly spoken of. A lot of U.S. folks are ordering the good stuff online. I'm a woman and have heard of other women trying it but it didn't appeal to me. I have heard the varieties and flavors are really great! I think ANYTHING that gets you off the cigs is wonderful! Congrats!!!

I'm actually almost off nicotine too - Woohoo!!!

Lo,

OC513

Dabaholic
lo said:
OC, LMAO!! Yes I have an Xhaler, 2 Screwdrivers and a Little Chuck too currently! LOVE being off cigs and why I switched to vapor. I too smoked 25 + years. Now I feel wonderful as well... Evolved actually!! I'm somewhere between 3 & 4 months off of smoke - LOVE IT!!

Avatar is my dog when he was younger and I use in a couple places LOL!! Sorry you don't win a prize for your deductive skills tho LMAO :cool: :D
Funny as hell....I thought it was you. I too have an XHaler and LOVE it. The vaporizers we discuss on this forum led me to the e cigarettes. So now I do not smoke ANYTHING....all vapor and loving it.

OC513,

Lo

Now I'm really laughing... The e-cigs led me to the this forum and now I don't smoke anything either :D

Congratulations and keep it up! I am loving vaporizing!!

Lo,

Cautious

Total Noob Lurker
FWIW I am currently using an Iolite with roll-your-own tobacco to get some nicotine going, to crank it up in the morning I add some drops of liquid intended for electronic cigarettes to the tobacco. I don't see why you couldn't use tabletop vaporizers for tobacco, maybe you'll want to have separate whips for different substances.

Good luck

Cautious,

Trixer

Ive been clean off smoking cigs for 2 months now, I have gotten 3 of my friends to purchase Ecigs all of which greatly enjoy them.

I have also went as far as creating herbal extracts for putting in my ecigs too.. The one that I recomend over anything else is this one:

http://www.modernvapor.com/The_Sidesho_s/3.htm

I reccomend it for a couple reseasons but there are two main reasons

first and formost it uses a cup like cart instead of wick based ones which stems into my other reason. You dont loose hit value when the battery starts to die like so many others.. its got a nice easy draw that will give you a full hit through its whole battery life (others cant say that)

The carts are completely refillable, ohh and I have a coupon code for like 16 dollars off a starter kit one sec let me find that.............

25ecf there you go!

So yeah I have tried most models, including blu, volcaino, many of the dsu590 models and the other one which name eludes me...

I have spent like 500 total bucks of various ecigs and the sidesho from modern vapor is by far the best deal, for your money, your time, and qaulity.

Trixer,

Ash

vaporist
Thanks! I've been wanting to buy an e-cig for a heavy smoker in my family and have been overwhelmed by the number of sellers and products. This one looks very cool. What's the story with the LED? Where is that locatyed on the device and which color do you suggest?

The carrying case that charges the cigs looks like a great feature, too.

Ash,

Trixer

Yes the carrying case that carges the ecigs, as well as keeping your filled carts is a godsend if not you have to carry your charger and vial of juice around where you go and it can get annoying to remember it (at least for me but im terrbiley add)

The light is just so you know the device is operating when you suck on it, the led lights up so you can tell its functioning, it also flashes for things like battery needing charged or when it enters its self cleaning cycle.

the led is at the end of the batteries, and each battery has its own. The battery is the main brains of the device and each battery is stand alone in terms of LED, clean cycles, and everything else. Which is good cause batteries are relatively cheap.

My biggest road block with getting other smokers to try one of these products is that they just feel that its gemmicky. So far out of everyone I have showed it to, 5 total people have purchased an ecig, and none of them have touched ciggs sense.

As soon as a smoker gets a hold of one of these for them selves and tries it. There is no turning back for them I feel. Also be sure to tell them that its not to help them quit smoking (smokers dont want to quit smoking, well we do, but we are addicted so you will be met with lots of resistance if you go that route)

It is a much healtier and cheaper way to smoke though.. and I personally feel that all ciggs should be abolished from the planet and replaced with these magical stix of mmmmm goodness...

Trixer,
Top Bottom