'ef'd by the feds :(

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
Anyone confused here?

OK, so, the FDA (part of the BigPharma-FDA revolving door party)
has determined that there is no medical use for Cannabis.
I'm SHOCKED, I TELL YOU, um... -shocked-.

The U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services patented cannabinoids for their anti-inflammatory and neuro-protective properties in 1993, and they received that patent representing the U.S. Government in 2003.

This move reflects the science outside the U.S. as well
('cause the DEA has made research inside the U.S. damn near impossible).
The DEA has skin in the game as well (even though their time could be better spent on meth, heroin, synthetics), this must be how Harry Ainslinger felt as Prohibition was ending and he had to justify his dept's existence and pay for his headcount.
(Harry was behind 'Reefer Madness' along with William Randolph Hearst, and created the DEA)

The feds have licensed the H&HS patent to BigPharma FOR medical use.

So, follow the money and tell me who you believe.

<head in hands> :(

I'm sure Feinstein and Clinton supported this move based on their generally unwavering positions on this topic :( (not that I'd ever vote for Drumpf)

(the voice of 'Marvin') - 'I'm so depressed'

This is just farcically criminally STUPID, but there's certainly some _serious_ money flowing behind the scenes :(

Honest to gawd medical patients, BEND OVER.

Really pissed off for all the vets who benefit from cannabis for their PTSD and TBI, yet they still can't use Section 8 housing because they use cannabis :(

Enough Governors willing and able to 'sack up' and challenge the feds?

http://www.npr.org/2016/08/10/48950...-to-loosen-federal-restrictions-on-marijuana?

Gunky

The DEA is headed by Chuck Rosenberg, of "medical marijuana is a joke" fame. My expectations were low and he performed as expected.

Hillary tends to follow (ie not lead or be courageous in liberalizing) on weed so we can probably expect more foot-dragging on the federal agency level. My guess is probably after several more states go legal congress will pass something and the Clinton white house will go along.

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
Okay Chuckie....you've been a very bad boy today....now it's time to pay the piper, BITCH!!!

images

MinnBobber

The Feds keeping cannabis as a Schedule 1 Drug has made me very very sad the last few hours.

To say that cannabis has no medical value is the epitome of ignorance and bias. If Chuck and the DEA did any kind of real investigating with an open mind, they would have found dozens of diseases that cannabis has proven to help.

Or if they just looked at 2 statistics:
- prescription painkillers (opiods) kill 16,000 each year
- in states with MMJ, that goes down 24.8%, a phenomenal result
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the real medical benefits.

Also, there are probably thousands of families dealing with epilepsy that could attest to the truly miraculous powers of cannabis on this disease. I've talked to at least a dozen families at public cannabis hearings where seizures have gone from dozens each day to a couple each week. It is the most visible and compelling example.

IMO, Chuck R deserves to be tried for crimes against humanity or war crimes (in the war on drugs) for his blatant stone-walling on cannabis. His inaction allows thousands to die or suffer needlessly.

This is truly the 4th dimension, where up is down, black is white, right is wrong.
Opiods are handed out like candy but cannabis has no medical value.
It's a crazy world.

ZC

This is unsurprising but extremely sad. This plant has helped people for countless years, but because it doesn't put money in the "right" pockets it's benefits are being ignored and denied.

Sadly this is just another link on a chain in a system that serves itself and not its people.

cannabis.pro

aka 420EDC
Accessory Maker
Follow the money is right. There are still almost half the states to corrupt and profit from through law enforcement dictated medical cannabis programs where the last concern of law enforcement is the price of the medicine to the patient. States getting into mmj laws now can cash in million$ just by printing out a few applications for mmj licenses for cultivators, manufacturers, dispensaries, distributors, laboratories, and now even forcing doctors to be trained on cannabis (not a bad thing, but it's not mandatory and perhaps perpetuating Schedule I thinking).

Don't think this is a handout to the FDA or big pharma at this point. It does depend on who takes the reign as President in January and then Congress to continue restricting DEA funding for state compliant cannabis operations. It is not a matter of saying that the ship has sailed for mmj, but more like saying the fleet is in the ocean and that the DEA doesn't have the resources to remove the fleet from our communities.

There could have been more reason for concern with Schedule 2 and that would open the doors to Big Pharma beyond Marinol/Nabilone/Sativex/Epidiolex. Allowing more Universities to do research is a good thing and removing U. of Miss as the monopoly on research grade cannabis is a plus for states wanting more information to reschedule or ideally deschedule in the future.

FDA is a conglomerate that knows cannabis legal for medical or adult use will hurt their bottom lines. Schedule II would have meant a $1.2B long term hit for whoever is looking to submit an NDA or BLA beyond GW Pharma currently with Sativex/Epidiolex. What needs to happen is for more research to show the potentials, Congressional support to deschedule cannabis, an executive who supports this move, and make cannabis a nutraceutical as it rightfully should be.

Baron23

My always cynical opinion only: Politicians are moved by two things...1) money; 2) winning reelection so that they can reap more of #1.

At the Fed level, the only thing that will move these gutless wonders is fear of failure of reelection. I believe that this Nov, 14 states have referendums including CA for recreational. Is that not correct?

At some point the Feds will be moved by politicians from the many VERY populous states that voted via referendum for expanded medical or complete recreational.

They ain't going to do crap until it hurts at the ballot box. If there was a referendum feature to national elections (and there is not), cannabis would already be legal.

lwien

Really pissed off for all the vets who benefit from cannabis for their PTSD and TBI, yet they still can't use Section 8 housing because they use cannabis :(

THAT I didn't know. Is this true even in states where MJ is legal?

lwien,

looney2nz

Follow the money is right. There are still almost half the states to corrupt and profit from through law enforcement dictated medical cannabis programs where the last concern of law enforcement is the price of the medicine to the patient. States getting into mmj laws now can cash in million$ just by printing out a few applications for mmj licenses for cultivators, manufacturers, dispensaries, distributors, laboratories, and now even forcing doctors to be trained on cannabis (not a bad thing, but it's not mandatory and perhaps perpetuating Schedule I thinking).

Don't think this is a handout to the FDA or big pharma at this point. It does depend on who takes the reign as President in January and then Congress to continue restricting DEA funding for state compliant cannabis operations. It is not a matter of saying that the ship has sailed for mmj, but more like saying the fleet is in the ocean and that the DEA doesn't have the resources to remove the fleet from our communities.

There could have been more reason for concern with Schedule 2 and that would open the doors to Big Pharma beyond Marinol/Nabilone/Sativex/Epidiolex. Allowing more Universities to do research is a good thing and removing U. of Miss as the monopoly on research grade cannabis is a plus for states wanting more information to reschedule or ideally deschedule in the future.

FDA is a conglomerate that knows cannabis legal for medical or adult use will hurt their bottom lines. Schedule II would have meant a $1.2B long term hit for whoever is looking to submit an NDA or BLA beyond GW Pharma currently with Sativex/Epidiolex. What needs to happen is for more research to show the potentials, Congressional support to deschedule cannabis, an executive who supports this move, and make cannabis a nutraceutical as it rightfully should be.

While I maintain it shouldn't even BE on the CSA Schedules, if it must remain there for a time, it should still be like a Schedule 5. It's the right thing to do, which takes the onus off of veterans who are using it to treat their PTSD, TBI, etc. and also allows them access to Section 8 housing (helping alleviate some of the homeless in the veteran community). The idea of having your medicine paid for by insurance is just utterly mind-boggling when it doesn't come in a pill. Get over it, DEAL with it, the BigPharma/BigCanna people will eventually market an array of pills based on cannabinoids, and with Dr.'s blessing and being dispensed from a pharmacy. Nirvana (for some), I guess.

I have no problem with there being regulation, as long as it's USEFUL regulation (unlike what has happened to medical cannabis patients in WA state). At one point a number of years back we had a semi-regular thread show up on the ASA Forums about how affordable ($$$) quality medicine (lab tested) could be, and there were projections of as little as $200 a kilo (and this was using an organic process).
But states categorizing a bunch of pesticides and fungicides as 'organic' is as meaningless as the word 'natural' on ANY food product. Seemingly 'annointing' these 'organic' pesticides and fungicides, and thus they appear to be used almost everywhere (in WA at least). NOT a good thing for the citizens of that state, especially if product like this is being sold to recreational users and medical patients alike :(

cannabis.pro

aka 420EDC
Accessory Maker
@looney2nz the 186 page report early on stated that cannabis could only move to Schedule II because of International Treaty (dictated by US Government back in the day forcing most countries of the world to sign).

I'm a veteran and after moving to Vermont from California, ran into many issues finding a doctor and the VA wouldn't help. VA is quick to throw Xanax and other meds at me on a mild complaint. Hopefully one day they'll understand why the cannabis plant can help so much they deal with with in terms of veterans care. Let's hope Congress can get this right this year showing that they Care for Veterans I know there has been progress but nothing signed into law yet.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
and now even forcing doctors to be trained on cannabis (not a bad thing, but it's not mandatory and perhaps perpetuating Schedule I thinking).
Actually I think it i just the opposite. By requiring MDs to be trained they are admitting that cannabis has medical value, the opposite of schedule I classification which exists only for "drugs" with no medical value.

looney2nz

@looney2nz the 186 page report early on stated that cannabis could only move to Schedule II because of International Treaty (dictated by US Government back in the day forcing most countries of the world to sign).

I'm a veteran and after moving to Vermont from California, ran into many issues finding a doctor and the VA wouldn't help. VA is quick to throw Xanax and other meds at me on a mild complaint. Hopefully one day they'll understand why the cannabis plant can help so much they deal with with in terms of veterans care. Let's hope Congress can get this right this year showing that they Care for Veterans I know there has been progress but nothing signed into law yet.

Sadly they are quick to prescribe shit that many start to jones for :( Stuff that messes you up on the inside, and messes with your head too. I have one friend who not only has a TBI in his past, he has PTSD... they've pumped him full of morphine, etc. He HATES it, he wants to try 'my' way, but he can't... 'cause the medical system he's in will have NOTHING to do with medical cannabis, and will kick him out of that healthcare organization... not to mention he couldn't be in Section 8 housing (which is no picnic).

That's just messed up.

p.s. somewhat medicated, maybe I'm not tracking threads correctly... so what 186 pg document are we referring to?

looney2nz,

Baron23

I find it humorous...ruefully humorous...that the DEA has anything to do with policy at all. They get paid to "fighting the war on drugs". No war, no budget, no paycheck, and no braces for little Tommy. The DEA has never seen a drug that they didn't think they should regulate.

I find it difficult to believe that people (mainstream media) listen to them with a straight face and nobody blurts out the fact of their obvious fatal conflict of interest.

OldOyler

Fire it again. I can still find the ground.
OldOyler,
Reactions: looney2nz

Baron23

Well, at LEAST that Federal Judge said that the last two years of prosecutions by the Feds in states with MML are null and void, and ALL those cases will now go back to State Courts to see if they were simply in compliance with State MML.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/medical-marijuana-9th-circuit_us_57b36a31e4b04ff883990337

Wonder how many families got destroyed over the two years they ignored yet ANOTHER act of Congress...

Peace everyone.
Indeed. More articles on this subject

Cannabis News

Baron23,
Top Bottom