1. Interested in a popular vape? Short on time? Be sure to check out the Best Of threads for Plug-Ins and Portables.
  2. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Ecological fiction?

Discussion in 'The Vapor Lounge' started by JustAHousecat, Apr 27, 2014.

1. JustAHousecat

JustAHousecat Housecat

Meow! Random question, figure it might be worth a shot here. I've read the book Ecotopia a couple times and really enjoyed it. Anyone have any recommendations for other fiction that explores deep ecological themes? I tried reading Ecotopia Emerging, but couldn't get into it. Also, Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind was a neat comic series, explored some interesting ecological ideas from a dystopian perspective.

thesoloman likes this.
  2. djonkoman

djonkoman Well-Known Member

I can't give you many titles, most books I remember I read long ago(I read a lot as a kid, but at some point I wasn't able to concentrate on reading as well anymore). but I do reember various books with ecological themes, although they were all youth/children books.

the only one I remember the title of was the thule-trilogy, however I think that was written by a dutch author and I have no idea if there is an english translation. it is about a kind of post-nuclear war world, where there are 2 new nations: 2 very similar industrial nations, one consisting of mainland europe(mostly nuclear wateland, and that nation is warlike, focussed on conmquering resources, they rediscovered some technology like steam-warships powered by coal), the other conmsisting of the brittish islands, culturally/technologically very similar to mainland europe, but they managed to not get conquered by the nation controlling mainland europe.
    and the third nation, Thule, located on greenland and not a nuclear wasteland, but a very fertile lush country(because of a changed global climate), with a pacifist matriarch society/culture.
    the story is about the mainland europe-nation discovering greenland, and trying to conquer it. (and some of them discovering that Thule isn't that primitive after all, just culturally very different)

I also remember a book about a post-global-warming-flooding-world, where all people live on oil rigs since all land is flooded or inhabitable, and then some kid dives into a sunken town and reads about greenland/finds an old map, wich should be habitable because the ioce-sheet should have melted, so they set out to find greenland.

and one book, wich was not so much focussed on the ecological side but did happen in a postapolyptical world, where all cities where mobile, like giant cars, and cities hunted and ate eachother for their basic resources.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors