Easy to read Skunk Pharm QWISO instructions

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Man you are doing exactly what I am doing now lol, just using a different solvent! Those top cola's are excellent for putting in the Solo or Nano at 6.5 :D

Also curing is crucial, really helps keep the water solubles out of your concentrates (if you DIY).

Get as much of the moisture out of those buds as possible if you are making concentrates with them. Leave 15% net moisture in them or so if you are gonna vape/smoke them (I apologise if this last sentence is somewhat off, I can't remember the source of this info).

I use very little heat, once my induction pad is set up, I will use 60c to heat a good induction pan and lightly evap the last of the alcohol away. However, I leave most of the drying to just air evaporation under an extraction fan :) Too much heat makes a mess of yield/consistency/taste!
6.5 is my level for flower with the NANO. 7.5 is my level for SHATTER wrapped in a little piece of cotton.

The SOLO level 4 for flowers.
Level 5 for cotton ball shatter.

Others might have a different range.
What I do isn't wrong or right it is the way I make it work for my situation.

I use BHO 7X and I don't taste it.
ISO 99% will work however for me personally I never succeeded with the flavor. You have this method wired and good for you. I said I'm lazy so I just stay with what works for me and super easy.

I like easy!

herbivore21

Same for me, but 8 for shatter wrapped in SS wool. 7.5 with cotton though :D

Happy shatterday everyone! QWISO third run on trim/low mids resulted in a lovely absolute shatter. Enjoying the fruits of my work now :science:

k4dllc.jpg

Same for me, but 8 for shatter wrapped in SS wool. 7.5 with cotton though :D

Happy shatterday everyone! QWISO third run on trim/low mids resulted in a lovely absolute shatter. Enjoying the fruits of my work now :science:

k4dllc.jpg
Mate you are really getting good at this!!! I'm learning but your stuff is inspiring :)

herbivore21

Mate you are really getting good at this!!! I'm learning but your stuff is inspiring :)
Cheers mate! That shatter is not properly purged actually, I'm gonna have to slowly purge the remaining ISO out at 60c (120f or so) with my induction purging setup which should arrive tomorrow :)

I got too excited seeing all the beautiful shatter and collected it before the very end of it had purged lol

herbivore21,
Reactions: ataxian

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
@@ataxian (edit: PS... how the hell do you guys do that @ thingy ? lol)

How are you finding the longevity of your chamber seal ? I've noticed two styles out on the market, one 'like yours', and the other a plexi type lid with a silicone bead type rim in the plexi.

I'm looking at getting a pyrex chamber (so I can purge right in the chamber spread thin then scrape up) and can't decide on the lid style to either buy a kit or source separately. I'm also shopping to replace my cheapy 2.5 cfm single to a 5-6 cfm dual pump.

TIA
I will take a picture of my vacuum chamber.

If you are successful using other solvents go for it.

I use BHO because I get the results I'm looking for.

@herbivore21 has mastered his method and my hats off to him.

I use my method because it's fast and easy for me.

I just used a old pickle jar for a vacuum chamber until the members of this site made fun of me for not being safe. I did this for 2 years.

Today I use a nice vacuum chamber I bought kind of like @DieHard just a little taller.
Me2nbIe.jpg

Last edited:

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
I will take a piture of my vacuum chamber.

If you are sucessfull using other solents go for it.

I use BHO because I get the results I'm looking for.

@herbivore21 has mastered his method and my hats off to him.

I use my method because it's fast and easy for me.

I just used a old pickle jar for a vacuum chamber until the memeber of this site made fun of me for not being safe. I did this for 2 years.

Today I use a nice vacuum chamber I bought kind of like @DieHard just a little taller.
Me2nbIe.jpg
No sir...I bought like you only shorter. I found out the website to order mine from your pictures!;)

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
No sir...I bought like you only shorter. I found out the website to order mine from your pictures!;)
The one you have will be much better than the old pickle jar I use to use.
They hold a seal really well.
I modified mine a bit.
They work the way they come.
I just mess with stuff for my own amusement.

I would do the ISO method however I will just use my BHO method as long as I don't get headaches.

@DieHard how much material does your tube hold?
@herbivore21 you don't need a tube with your method do you?

Purging is key.
I might winterize my next batch?
One more step however I have time since I do it for the medicine and not to make $!
eKE3XEu.jpg

Some times a small batch will get me by.
The vacuum unit I built with used parts!
Ef7J5QX.jpg

Nva2Atg.jpg

I built this myself because it's quiet!
Comes on for 30 seconds reaches vacuum then shuts off for about 4 hours until the next cycle.
The one you can buy already to go runs all the time.
I wired mine for 220V as well.
My way is not right or wrong!
Just a way!

Last edited:

herbivore21

Nice one brother! I am seriously thinking of a vac purging setup. I find that when I am evaporating absolute shatters at the requisite very low heat, (waxes/gummy/oils are not such an issue) that sometimes the last of the solvent can be difficult to get out of the shatter without overheating the batch.

I think a vacuum is necessary now. Very interested in the quietness factor as well! What did you use to make it quiet @ataxian?

@ataxian is right, you can get good results with any solvent. BHO is very forgiving because of the way the wash is typically carried out; wherein the solvent must leave the herb reasonably quickly and the possibility of washing too long is taken mostly out of the equation.

This is handy, as it is a major factor in how a lot of people get bad oils using alcohol washes. Also Ataxian is right that you don't need to use a tube with QWISO/QWET. However, I would like to try using one for the same reason that I believe this approach is beneficial in BHO.

Please, if you are using butane, there are some extra safety precautions. You need to be doing everything outdoors where possible - and if not possible, please, consider QWISO or QWET instead. This is the very reason I use these methods rather than BHO.

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
The one you have will be much better than the old pickle jar I use to use.
They hold a seal really well.
I modified mine a bit.
They work the way they come.
I just mess with stuff for my own amusement.

I would do the ISO method however I will just use my BHO method as long as I don't get headaches.

@DieHard how much material does your tube hold?
@herbivore21 you don't need a tube with your method do you?

Purging is key.
I might winterize my next batch?
One more step however I have time since I do it for the medicine and not to make $!
eKE3XEu.jpg

Some times a small batch will get me by.
The vacuum unit I built with used parts!
Ef7J5QX.jpg

Nva2Atg.jpg

I built this myself because it's quiet!
Comes on for 30 seconds reaches vacuum then shuts off for about 4 hours until the next cycle.
The one you can buy already to go runs all the time.
I wired mine for 220V as well.
My way is not right or wrong!
Just a way!
My tube is about 13 inches long and 3/4" diameter. It holds about 3/4 oz. but if I do less, I just throw a handful of glass marbles on top to hold the herb down and diffuse the butane.

I did a qwiso run over the weekend. Well a test run actually. I had thought the best iso I could find was 75% rubbish. But on Saturday my lovely wife located 99%. Excellent. Unfortunately I am still working on my method at this point.

herbivore21

Mate, make sure you have a conical fine SS sieve as well as coffee filters. Hold the cone shaped SS sieve over a coffee filter suspended over a pyrex jug and pour the buds/alcohol quickly through after your wash, so that the ISO separates from the buds ASAP.

Remember, wash time is the usual cause of bad QWISO. If the buds are sitting in the ISO as it slowly drains through a coffee filter (or two, or 10, or 20!), the wash is gonna be way too long.

Also, 99% or 100% ISO are definitely preferably, but you know this.

Aside from this, if you want shatter - do the majority of evap at room temperature. If you want wax/gummies, evap it warmer, but be careful not to apply too much heat or for too long, or you will lose yield ;)

Hope this helps man! If anyone on this board needs good results with DIY concentrates given their location, it is people like you and I! :D

By the way, for anyone interested, that last picture I posted became this after further evap in my new induction setup (seriously, took half an hour to evap it down to this. Induction is the way to evaporate!).

Third run on 10g of trim and crappy buds with the humble isopropyl as a solvent.

25yvcqh.jpg

Last edited:

HomeFree

I've used that method for sure with some botanicals as it allows for minimal contact time, less fats, lipids and waxes, but with a big tube, or inverted iso bottles. I haven't tried using a pour thru method with cannabis though.

It looks like you are actually pushing/forcing/injecting the ISO through the turkey baster just like you would blow some BHO, which I hadn't considered (the forced injection part, not the pour thru aspect of the quick wash)! I had considered using a filtering flask in the freezer connected to a pump, for quick filtering/suction from a home made tube of sorts.

Care to elaborate on the tek? I think I am gonna give it a shot when I get some extra cash, if I can lay my hands on some decent and affordable trim.

Thanks herbivore, farscape, ataxian, and others. It's the open exchange of ideas (and well placed hints like above from farscaper) that helps open the mind to new ways of thinking about accomplishing things.

For anyone wondering, the stainless seives are needed for the traditional qwiso. I've certainly made some black concentrate in the past, until my genius butt realized that the iso is still in contact when filtering. :) Works fine for edibles.

herbivore21

This could be a good avenue to explore.

I have found that one's efforts in making concentrates may be better focused on the purging side of the equation. Remember, you need to purge the bejeezus out of QWISO stuff to make sure it tastes good and is free of any alcohol.

I have cobbled together and induction based baine marie type setup which maintains water temperature at around 80c, heats up very quickly and has a built in timer and temp control in the cooker. The setup cost around $100, delivered. With some oil slicks and some careful technique, I am producing shatter from reclaim, let alone flowers (which are guaranteed crumble/shatter/wax depending on how I set the induction rig). Hands off, fuss free production of consistent concentrates :D

farscaper

tek (technique)
this particular tek is one that I have thought of for some time.... but hadnt pursued until recently.

basically as the picture dictates the iso bottle attaches to the needle of the SSTB (stainless steel turkey baster). the joy is that the needle fit so snuggly in the bottle that it sealed. the threads that attach the needle to the SSTB need to be sealed with some Teflon tape.

keep in mind that at this point the whole idea is purely academic until someone with experience chimes in.

effectivly your going to pack a tube just like a bho blow, except you attach a bottle with witch to squirt or force liquid into, through and so fourth.

of course purge is the key, low and slow is best... and I am mad hatter impatient... so I ended up with a lovely errl tonight. mix of white widow and cherry bomb....
anyway:rolleyes:
I dont think I would increase the temp of iso past room temp. if it were ec I think that having it a little warmer might help but imo a room temp with more passes would be a suitable exchange for higher temp single pass with either alcohol.

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
I've used that method for sure with some botanicals as it allows for minimal contact time, less fats, lipids and waxes, but with a big tube, or inverted iso bottles. I haven't tried using a pour thru method with cannabis though.

It looks like you are actually pushing/forcing/injecting the ISO through the turkey baster just like you would blow some BHO, which I hadn't considered (the forced injection part, not the pour thru aspect of the quick wash)! I had considered using a filtering flask in the freezer connected to a pump, for quick filtering/suction from a home made tube of sorts.

Care to elaborate on the tek? I think I am gonna give it a shot when I get some extra cash, if I can lay my hands on some decent and affordable trim.

Thanks herbivore, farscape, ataxian, and others. It's the open exchange of ideas (and well placed hints like above from farscaper) that helps open the mind to new ways of thinking about accomplishing things.

For anyone wondering, the stainless seives are needed for the traditional qwiso. I've certainly made some black concentrate in the past, until my genius butt realized that the iso is still in contact when filtering. :) Works fine for edibles.
I actually remember seeing a video of a sick QWISO tek where a glass chamber was affixed to the top of a large glass dish using some sort of plastic or metal. A hole was drilled into the flat sheet to connect a vac to it. You filled the tube with nugs (the tube already has the necessary filters put in place) and poured the ISO into the tube, then used the vac to pull the ISO through the tube down into the dish. It looked fantastic, just like honey.

Anyways sad times today. I found out the collective I go to for my CO2 oil isn't carrying it anymore since the company closed :( So I got a couple grams of kief ($10 fat grams :D) and I'm soaking the kief right now. Pretty bummed about not being able to get CO2 locally anymore, but I'm hoping this produces some nice results. The kief is pretty clean, I saw a few orange hairs from nug but that seems to be it.

farscaper

I actually remember seeing a video of a sick QWISO tek where a glass chamber was affixed to the top of a large glass dish using some sort of plastic or metal. A hole was drilled into the flat sheet to connect a vac to it. You filled the tube with nugs (the tube already has the necessary filters put in place) and poured the ISO into the tube, then used the vac to pull the ISO through the tube down into the dish. It looked fantastic, just like honey.

Anyways sad times today. I found out the collective I go to for my CO2 oil isn't carrying it anymore since the company closed :( So I got a couple grams of kief ($10 fat grams :D) and I'm soaking the kief right now. Pretty bummed about not being able to get CO2 locally anymore, but I'm hoping this produces some nice results. The kief is pretty clean, I saw a few orange hairs from nug but that seems to be it.
like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0018RUCDY?pc_redir=1402726440&robot_redir=1

with this as the vac pump:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003O...e5fd81aa87e50d4c99c5&pi=SY115#ref=pd_aw_sbs_8

or this diy pump that im considering:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly gets caught in the filter: cellular walls of the tricomes?

macbill,
Reactions: NorVape

Been Vapin

Fringe Class
If your looking for iso 99% contact your local janitorial supply company. A 5 gallon bucket should runs about $80.00

Been Vapin,
Reactions: ataxian

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT

DIY projects are cheap and fun.
Nice one brother! I am seriously thinking of a vac purging setup. I find that when I am evaporating absolute shatters at the requisite very low heat, (waxes/gummy/oils are not such an issue) that sometimes the last of the solvent can be difficult to get out of the shatter without overheating the batch.

I think a vacuum is necessary now. Very interested in the quietness factor as well! What did you use to make it quiet @ataxian?

@ataxian is right, you can get good results with any solvent. BHO is very forgiving because of the way the wash is typically carried out; wherein the solvent must leave the herb reasonably quickly and the possibility of washing too long is taken mostly out of the equation.

This is handy, as it is a major factor in how a lot of people get bad oils using alcohol washes. Also Ataxian is right that you don't need to use a tube with QWISO/QWET. However, I would like to try using one for the same reason that I believe this approach is beneficial in BHO.

Please, if you are using butane, there are some extra safety precautions. You need to be doing everything outdoors where possible - and if not possible, please, consider QWISO or QWET instead. This is the very reason I use these methods rather than BHO.

I failed to make decent QWISO.
I want to try again with COLA FLOWERS.
ABV I don't have because I clean my GonG's and STEM's a lot never saving the spent goods.
The last time I made QWISO it tasted so bad it got me into BHO for flavor.
However you seem to have your process wired!
Once I get a hold of your formula and procedure I will try it.
In the meantime I will just make shatter the easy way!

Last edited:

herbivore21

DIY projects are cheap and fun.

I failed to make decent QWISO.
I want to try again with COLA FLOWERS.
ABV I don't have because I clean my GonG's and STEM's a lot never saving the spent goods.
The last time I made QWISO it tasted so bad it got me into BHO for flavor.
However you seem to have your process wired!
Once I get a hold of your formula and procedure I will try it.
In the meantime I will just make shatter the easy way!
Sorry brother, was asleep when you messaged me yesterday, ill get back to you today and we'll get to he bottom of it :)

herbivore21,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I am all a-twitter: I got off my ass and I am giving this a try. I'm evaping as I ah, type. I'm going to be a Happy Camper if I haven't screwed this up beyond redemption..

and for my very 1st time concentrate result: yumm!
IMG_02271.jpg

Last edited:

killick

But I like it!
So after weeks of wandering I've *finally* found this thread... just made a last minute decision to use ISO instead of Everclear - cover me, I'm going in. Right after brekkie tomorrow, when everything is nice and cold :)

Top Bottom