• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Easy to read Skunk Pharm QWISO instructions

herbivore21

So I put my academic mind to good use and redacted the Skunk Pharm QWISO instructions to exclude the information about topicals and exclude explanation of why you are doing what you are doing.

Obviously, you should read the Skunk Pharm version first to understand why you are doing what you are doing. But for the rest of us, this saves a lot of time to look at whilst we are doing QWISO runs!

Enjoy :D

1. Spread material on a cookie sheet and bake it in a 93c (200f) oven until the buds are easily broken when rolled between your finger and thumb. Leave buds whole.

2. Seal the material in a jar while still warm and place in the freezer. Put alcohol in freezer too.

3. When they have both stabilized at about -32C/0F, pour the alcohol into the jar of plant material, so that it is at least an inch above the material. Shake it gently for 20 seconds.

4.After 20 seconds, dump the mixture through a wire strainer to drain quickly. I use a pasta strainer to catch the bulk of the material, followed by a fine mesh French Chinoise.

5. We set the buds aside to dry and refreeze for a second extraction.

6. Next, filter the alcohol. Use either vacuum and a #1 lab filter or a simple coffee filter, depending on the quantity being processed.

7. After filtration, place the solution in a large surface area dish, like a Pyrex pie plate, and just blow air over it. That reduces it fast, cover the dish with a cheese cloth in dusty areas.

8. When the alcohol is visually gone, place the dish on a 140F heat mat, or float it in a hot water dish, until the smell and taste of the Isopropyl is gone, usually around 30 minutes to an hour.

Last edited:

herbivore21

QWET version coming soon!

EDIT: Just did oven baked (200f) a half oz of buds in preparation for a QWISO run tomorrow carried out strictly according to this methodology.

I will have photo's of my first run results in 24 hours :D

Last edited:

tuk

6. Next, filter the alcohol. Use either vacuum and a #1 lab filter or a simple coffee filter, depending on the quantity being processed.

What does the #1 signify?

Looking through local suppliers I don't see any mention only the diameter.

tuk,

tuk

Thanks H21, bit more digging brought up the following, looks like it's related to hole size:

To assist you in choosing the correct filter products, we offer the following guidelines:
General Purpose

For general laboratory work and analytical operations involving filtration of chemicals, gelatinous, and coarse precipitates.

Retention (µm)____Flow Rate____Porosity_____Grade No:
11------------------Medium-------Medium-------1
8-------------------Medium-------Medium-------2
5-------------------Medium-------Medium-------413

http://www.labdepotinc.com/c-288-filter-paper.php

HugieLewis

I'm not an expert but I have a strong opinion
Good luck. Despite trying various methods over the years I haven't ever been entirely pleased with iso. I do see lots of people having success though , so I have no doubt that it is possible.

HugieLewis,
Reactions: farscaper

herbivore21

The learning experience continues.

I took out the frozen bud/ISO after 6 hours in the freezer. Gave a 20 second wash with ISO and then filtered it first into a high end conical SS sieve, then through an unbleached coffee filter. Still clear ISO coming out the filters!

Gave it another 10 second wash very quickly...

The solution is a light yellow/light fluro green colour, but still looks almost clear until you look at it closely. Made my fingers super sticky though!

I will evap in the morning and update all then!

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
1. Spread material on a cookie sheet and bake it in a 93c (200f) oven until the buds are easily broken when rolled between your finger and thumb. Leave buds whole.

Thks for putting this together for ease of read :tup: I have a question about the above quoted ... If one is dabbing, what is the purpose of the de-carbing in the oven ? I've never de-carbed with any process unless my intent was for an edible ingestion want/need (which I've given up on because I don't care for the effect it provides) ?

herbivore21

@smokum

Very good question. This is addressed in the Skunk Pharm verbose version. Basically, this is not for decarboxilating the oil; this step is to dry out as much water from the buds as possible, to ensure that you only pull out the good stuff! :)

Most of the ISO evaporated in air over night under the rangehood fan. I am just finishing the evap now. Great smell is the first thing I will say, this smells nothing like my previous QWISO runs. However, looks like yield is going to be minimal.

Protip: I have already decided that from here on in, I am gonna cheat with my concentrates.

Grabbing myself a wikka (kief) box and will just use kief to make concentrates from now on :D - kief = less plant material = longer, more forgiving washes with much higher yield ratio!

Also lets me keep the rest for vaping!

EDIT: Here we go, QWISO amber shatter. Not black, not grey. Amber.

The main batch is still evaping but here is a little bit I got on my dab tool.

m9u15w.jpg

Last edited:

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Personally, i prefer not to expose unnecessary heat to trichs changing the volatiles more so than natural oxidation found through simple air drying the bud for 24-48 hours (in my environment). <-- again, unless my intent is to ingest the product as an edible. I also prefer minimal heat through the purging process if I have the time/space and patience.

Your end product looks very nice, and hopefully you'll find 'your' process tweaks to increase your return yields without compromising the end result you've decided you enjoy most. For myself, and even though I personally prefer and have the living circumstances to do butane runs due to my own fussy taste buds always detecting ISO & QWET after tastes regardless of purge technique (still need more experimenting with winterizing), when I DO do alc extractions I favor to do a long enough soak to extract the most I can with one run and scrap the remains to the compost for gardening. This leaves me with a 'slightly' darker concentrate, but will shatter, and is still golden with a very very slight hue of chlorophyll green.

Other than the bit of harshness the chlorophyll adds to the dab (MOE), I don't end up frustrated with the added necessary 'time' spent with 2nd/3rd runs. And I'm certainly still satisfied with the end product considering I vape the whole bud anyways ;) Timing of solvent exposure, as well as 'at the time' weather temps/humidity plays a huge role in results IMO. Ahhh if we could all only afford and/or have space for a personal lab set up eh :science::nod:

I plan to 'play' with some more dry ice kief extraction in the not too distant future to soak just the trichs (in ISO/ethanol or butane) and weigh out the personal preference results for my needs/wants. Being a results vs time and effort person hampers my acceptable willingness to diddle around too much :rolleyes:

Anyhoot... enjoy what makes ya happy ! It's all about the cannabis after-all :bowdown:regardless of the intake :brow:

Jman5280

How does this QWISO compare to BHO? is it "healthier" in any way?

how much material do you need to use to make a decent amount?

Jman5280,

herbivore21

That's it, the difference is you can make it all in your house, rather than needing to go outdoors at all. I can get through a batch and evap in 30 mins if I am in a hurry.

For the love of baby Jesus, do not have any open flame near the iso. Do not let anyone combust near the iso. Keep phones away etc. It is still flammable, just not a volatile gas like butane.

Safety is crucial and I am glad that this has been brought up in this thread! I do not want any of you blowing up anything in your houses!

Finally:

DO NOT EVAP ISO OR ETHANOL IN A CLOSED OVEN. Go over to GC and see how many would-be shatter chefs have burned their kitchen down doing this.

@smokum mate, with respect (as always!), I used to be of the same mindset as you - used the same methods, got the same plant materials coming into my product. Using the above method, you can still get all the goodies out of your nugs, you just do separate 20 seconds washes.

If you look at the decarb graph on skunk pharms main article, you will note that cooking the buds in step one is not decarboxilating the buds. It is only removing water. :)

donoman

Hello im a beginner to making qwiso im doing my first batch in 2 days im gonna tell u the process im using and pleast give me any tips or ideas you have so I can make it better so heres my process

Im using some decent mids bud half o (14g's) and 91% isopropyl alcohol
●first I destem and deseed the bud using small scissors and tweezers
●grind up bud to about blunt consistency place in 1st mason jar put that and the bottle of alcohol in the freezer for 24 hours
●set up 2 Pyrex dishes on a table outside on my screened in porch along with a second mason jar, wire strainer,2 unbleached coffee filters,
●Take bud and alcohol from freezer outside
●pour alcohol in the jar that has the bud un it about an inch above the weed, put the lid on and shake for 20 seconds
●pour mixture through metal screen into second mason jar then place remaing plant material back into 1st mason jar
●Filter 2nd mason jar liquid through 2 unbleached coffee filters into 1st pyrex pan
●put 1st pan aside and start 2nd wash
●pour alcohol over weed again and shake for 60 seconds this time
●strain through metal strainer into second mason jar and filter through 2 coffee filters into 2nd pyrex pan and let both pan 1 and 2 sit on the pourch with an oscillating fan for 24 hours to let all the alcohol evaporate
●once no liquid or alcohol smell scrape oil from both pans but keep separate

Any tips on bettering it or do you think that recipe will make good oil with the mids? How to I make sure all the alcohol is gone and will it be bad to leave it outside for 24 hours the dew would ruin it in the morning right?

donoman,

herbivore21

Hello im a beginner to making qwiso im doing my first batch in 2 days im gonna tell u the process im using and pleast give me any tips or ideas you have so I can make it better so heres my process

Im using some decent mids bud half o (14g's) and 91% isopropyl alcohol
●first I destem and deseed the bud using small scissors and tweezers
●grind up bud to about blunt consistency place in 1st mason jar put that and the bottle of alcohol in the freezer for 24 hours
●set up 2 Pyrex dishes on a table outside on my screened in porch along with a second mason jar, wire strainer,2 unbleached coffee filters,
●Take bud and alcohol from freezer outside
●pour alcohol in the jar that has the bud un it about an inch above the weed, put the lid on and shake for 20 seconds
●pour mixture through metal screen into second mason jar then place remaing plant material back into 1st mason jar
●Filter 2nd mason jar liquid through 2 unbleached coffee filters into 1st pyrex pan
●put 1st pan aside and start 2nd wash
●pour alcohol over weed again and shake for 60 seconds this time
●strain through metal strainer into second mason jar and filter through 2 coffee filters into 2nd pyrex pan and let both pan 1 and 2 sit on the pourch with an oscillating fan for 24 hours to let all the alcohol evaporate
●once no liquid or alcohol smell scrape oil from both pans but keep separate

Any tips on bettering it or do you think that recipe will make good oil with the mids? How to I make sure all the alcohol is gone and will it be bad to leave it outside for 24 hours the dew would ruin it in the morning right?

Hey man.

Few suggestions:

Don't grind the bud. It'll make you more likely to pull plant materials out.

One unbleached coffee filter will be plenty, no need to use two at a time :)

You need to put your buds and alcohol in the freezer for 5-6 hours minimum before every wash. This will make you produce nice see-through shatter/wax instead of running black oil.

Consider evaporating the last bit of solvents out with a double-boiler setup once there are no visible big solvent bubbles and no smell of ISO left.

Finally, if you can, get your hands on some 100% ISO, less water in your starting products means less chance for water solubles (plant stuff) to get into your batch :)

Trust me on these, I am now reliably making wax/shatter every time with QWISO.

donoman

Hey man.

Few suggestions:

Don't grind the bud. It'll make you more likely to pull plant materials out.

One unbleached coffee filter will be plenty, no need to use two at a time :)

You need to put your buds and alcohol in the freezer for 5-6 hours minimum before every wash. This will make you produce nice see-through shatter/wax instead of running black oil.

Consider evaporating the last bit of solvents out with a double-boiler setup once there are no visible big solvent bubbles and no smell of ISO left.

Finally, if you can, get your hands on some 100% ISO, less water in your starting products means less chance for water solubles (plant stuff) to get into your batch :)

Trust me on these, I am now reliably making wax/shatter every time with QWISO.
How do I do the double boiler thing and how long would it take intead of air purging it?

donoman,

canj00digit?

All my days in a daze...
Great thread, mate. Awesome stuff. And your results speak for themselves!!
I aspire to duplicate your results at some point in the near future.

That is the nicest QWISO I've ever seen.
That is Herc heaven material there.

I know what you mean about going through it fast when testing all your new goodies, same thing for me... I went apeshit when I first got Persei I loved it so much... vaping everywhere I went lolol. Blew through my supply in no time.

Also, mate, what are you paying for your ISO if I may ask?

canj00digit?,

herbivore21

$15 a litre, not cheap lol Mitre 10

Jump in man, it's a breeze to do so long as you militantly stick to these instructions! Even if your solution (iso after the wash) looks clear still, only wash for another 10 seconds maximum. You will pull of plant nasties otherwise :D

Looking forward to hearing how the results go brother! :D

herbivore21,
Top Bottom